Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Nate Sestina grad transfer
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
03-19-19 01:08 PM - Post#282068    

It appears that Sestina is indeed planning to grad transfer.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1 108048512...

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
03-19-19 01:49 PM - Post#282075    

Good find. I do not think that we are surprised. Does anybody have a link to the official NCAA transfer list? Is there one?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-20-19 06:48 PM - Post#282263    

A shame Bison cant get compensation pick as in NFL.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
03-20-19 07:56 PM - Post#282270    

• HoleinOne Said:
A shame Bison cant get compensation pick as in NFL.

Except that Bucknell made Sestina, essentially, an unrestricted free agent.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-20-19 07:58 PM - Post#282271    

If I were him I'd look for a pro contract in Europe rather than playing another year of college elsewhere. Still have not seen confirmation from any other sources. Are we sure this isn't just speculation?
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-20-19 09:36 PM - Post#282281    

I guess I feel the opposite. I’d play another year and work toward my masters and then play overseas. I guess it matters if you think you might want to use your education after your few years of playing are over.
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-20-19 09:40 PM - Post#282282    

I don't know where that Twitter info came from, but Nate is still deciding his future after Bucknell
KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
03-20-19 09:48 PM - Post#282285    

Evan Daniels tweeted that he indicated he intends to transfer or pursue professional options in an interview.

i assume he entered his name in the transfer portal in order to begin exploring the transfer options and others picked up on that and are erroneously assuming he will definitely do a transfer year somewhere.
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
03-21-19 08:28 AM - Post#282302    

• KenZ Said:
Evan Daniels tweeted that he indicated he intends to transfer or pursue professional options in an interview.

i assume he entered his name in the transfer portal in order to begin exploring the transfer options and others picked up on that and are erroneously assuming he will definitely do a transfer year somewhere.

Agreed. Even if he was 90% sure he wants to play overseas, he should enter his name in the portal to see what other options might be available to him. He has worked hard to get himself into an enviable position, and I am certain he will do what he thinks is best for him.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
03-26-19 02:21 PM - Post#282796    

CBS story on Nate:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ne ws/...
crd012
Junior
Posts 262
03-26-19 02:53 PM - Post#282802    

Seems like he’s a shoe in to play at a high major. Kentucky will need to replace Reid Travis (another grad transfer) and PJ Washington. Really he should go to UNC. They need to replace Luke Maye who is the same kind of player and Roy Williams love Sestina in his post game press conference after the UNC-Bucknell game
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
03-26-19 05:11 PM - Post#282831    

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:

You guys are FAST. My buddy just texting this link to me with a "WTF?" message.

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
03-26-19 06:41 PM - Post#282834    

Former Holy Cross coach and current Pittsburgh assistant coach Milan Brown reached out to Nate according to this.

https://pittsburghsportsn ow.com/2019/03/26/pitt-in...
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-26-19 08:09 PM - Post#282837    

UNC has 4 PF coming in for next year's class so they have no need for a big man
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-26-19 08:10 PM - Post#282838    

How do you all think the Kansas faithful would welcome Nate to their team, being a Bucknell grad? 🤣
crd012
Junior
Posts 262
03-26-19 09:40 PM - Post#282840    

• BisonFan4 Said:
UNC has 4 PF coming in for next year's class so they have no need for a big man

Not really sure where you’re getting that info from but that’s not true. They have bacots coming in who’s 6’10. But the only other serviceable big men they would have is Garrison Brooks. They have Sterling Manley and Brandon Huffman on the roster but they barely play and will barely play next year. They just simply don’t have anyone to replace Maye.

I mean I’m not saying he’s going to UNC but there’s a fit there. Kentucky wouldn’t be a bad fit either. They’ll need to replace Reid Travis and PJ Washington. He definitely have a lot of choices though.
KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
03-27-19 09:19 AM - Post#282850    

article includes Sestina's thought process, what he is looking for https://www.dailyitem.com/sports/local_sports/s est...
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 05:45 PM - Post#282898    

Muscala and McCollum had no problem going pro from the PL. I don’t understand the difference btw playing 32 games in the PL vs the SEC being such an overwhelming distinction in terms of development or exposure. NBA/European scouts don’t need a kid to be on ESPN 2-3x a week to draw conclusions about how he projects. So I guess the 8 months of course work in ES/CL or Edu is the shiny object. For a kid that’s often played the military card so publicly he should try some introspection and he can start his Masters in Education by taking out Webster’s and brushing up on the word “loyalty”. I’ll await the avalanche of negative responses to my post but if he wants to make a run at “a couple” NCAA games he should shoulder that responsibility out of Sojka and if he wants to improve his defense he should work on stopping Ivanauskas. I’m sorry guys but I just don’t get it...where I come from loyalty’s a two way street.
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
03-27-19 05:49 PM - Post#282899    

I suspect he would have had Bucknell let him. Am I missing something or are you?

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-27-19 05:49 PM - Post#282900    

You are assuming that he in fact did have the opportunity to do another year st Bucknell. From what I understand, thst’s Not necessarily so.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 05:56 PM - Post#282901    

Are you telling me that’ there a new AD in Truax and he doesn’t have enough juice to go to the Administration and the Trustees and address this policy when every other school in the PL does this very thing. Someone confirm to me that he was told “no way” by the school and my first call is to Chris O’Brien to ask the Board to address this issue. So you’re telling me the kid wants to stay and play and take courses and the school is throwing him out!!!! The kid has a year of eligibility and Bucknell should honor it if that’s the case. Like I said...loyalty is a two way street.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 05:59 PM - Post#282902    

The whole thing stinks and now we’re addressing this situation on an Internet Board...did everybody involved not know we were going to come to this fork in the road three years ago?
BeckyBison91
Freshman
Posts 21
03-27-19 06:12 PM - Post#282904    

Didn't Stephen Tyree get a medical red shirt grad year? How did that happen?

BeckyBison91

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 06:16 PM - Post#282905    

Furthermore, Lehigh’s taking JUCO transfers and Colgate is taking a kid from BGSU on top of the other transfer. Last time I looked Bowling Green’s admissions acceptance rate was 75%. I can tell you it’s a lot less risky playing the transfer game than putting up with the vagaries of the recruiting process. Having the best facilities in the PL will only last so long. It’s a dirty game. I’m not suggesting we get dirty but enough of the holier than thou crap.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 06:16 PM - Post#282906    

Tx u Becky
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-27-19 07:01 PM - Post#282911    

• Old Bison Said:
Someone confirm to me that he was told “no way” by the school and my first call is to Chris O’Brien to ask the Board to address this issue.

In case anyone else was, like me, wondering who Chris O'Brien is:
https://www.bucknell.edu/news-and-media/curren t-ne...

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-27-19 07:11 PM - Post#282913    

• BeckyBison91 Said:

According to a post by Bison137 on the Cross message board, Tyree never finished the degree. If so, that may have helped poison the well for future Bison ballers.

For what it's worth, in an interview with Birdsong late in the season, Sestina spoke of his desire to graduate with his classmates and move on to something new.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-27-19 07:21 PM - Post#282914    

• Old Bison Said:
Are you telling me that’ there a new AD in Truax and he doesn’t have enough juice to go to the Administration and the Trustees and address this policy when every other school in the PL does this very thing. Someone confirm to me that he was told “no way” by the school and my first call is to Chris O’Brien to ask the Board to address this issue. So you’re telling me the kid wants to stay and play and take courses and the school is throwing him out!!!! The kid has a year of eligibility and Bucknell should honor it if that’s the case. Like I said...loyalty is a two way street.

I have no idea if he tried to fight his way through the process and failed, but I don't think that happened. However Bucknell has made it extremely difficult for players in any sport to return for a 5th year. MUCH harder than it is for any other PL school. As I pointed out earlier, football has had zero 5th year players for the last 15+ years. Every other PL school has had over 40 and many over 50. Some very good athletes tried to get a 5th year and failed in other sports.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-27-19 07:23 PM - Post#282915    

• Old Bison Said:
Furthermore, Lehigh’s taking JUCO transfers and Colgate is taking a kid from BGSU on top of the other transfer. Last time I looked Bowling Green’s admissions acceptance rate was 75%. I can tell you it’s a lot less risky playing the transfer game than putting up with the vagaries of the recruiting process. Having the best facilities in the PL will only last so long. It’s a dirty game. I’m not suggesting we get dirty but enough of the holier than thou crap.

The transfer from Bowling Green had a Bucknell offer, among others, out of HS. His grades and SAT's were good. He also had at least three offers from Ivy League schools.

Having said that, taking transfers is a way to possibly game the AI system. But only if you take sophomore transfers. Freshmen still get evaluated using the AI, which uses HS SAT/GPA.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-27-19 07:25 PM - Post#282916    

• BeckyBison91 Said:

Yes, he did. But it took a very long time to gain approval and in a program he likely had little interest in. Since that time it has become harder. And it's even harder to get approval to stretch one's academic program out over five years by doing a double major. That is done in some PL schools.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 07:25 PM - Post#282917    

Ok...so I’m back to my original post...he was happy to take his four years for free but it’s time for greener pastures (I.e., more exposure). So what’s the deal...did the University day no or the kid say no? I’ve held my powder because I thought the kid was going overseas and he owes nothing to me obviously, or the University either. However, if he’s going to the UoK then it’s a different story. At that stage he owes the University everything. That’s loyalty, that’s the way it works if you grew up in my world.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 07:30 PM - Post#282918    

My point about transfers is it’s a lot easier to reduce the “hit or miss” aspect of recruiting if you take transfers two years later. Admissions is a separate issue
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 07:40 PM - Post#282921    

And I’ll also go back to my original point about loyalty being a two way street. If the kid has an extra year of eligibility through no fault of his own then the University’s position is unsupportable. The kid accepted a scholarship to play ball in tandem with getting a degree. If he has a year of eligibility left than he is a senior with respect to his original agreement to compete athletically at the NCAA D1 level. How can the University prohibit that. If he’s qualified academically for admission to the grad school than the University’s position would be laughed at in a court of law. He’s being discriminated against and not being allowed to fulfill his potential under the terms of his scholarship. I’m no lawyer but if he takes Buck to court he kicks the school’s butt if I’m on that jury.
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
03-27-19 07:57 PM - Post#282923    

I have been told that the faculty and administration are both very strongly opposed to 5th year for athletes. Also the issue of scholarship availability plays into it.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 08:01 PM - Post#282924    

They’re strongly opposed....FOR REAL?
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
03-27-19 08:08 PM - Post#282925    

Yes, for real. And the coaches and athletes are aware of this.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 08:13 PM - Post#282926    

If pressed in a court of law the university would lose. That means they are abrogating the original implied contract that encompasses FOUR years. It’s not constitutional if he has the bonafides for admission to the graduate school. It’s clearly discriminatory and based on a “philosophy”? There’s an original implied contract! Who’s a lawyer out there?
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-27-19 08:22 PM - Post#282928    

Actually, the contract is not implied it’s manifest. Furthermore, it’s so high profile that it will now be used against Buck in recruiting. You don’t think Brett Reid will mention “btw, if you blow out your knee at Buck you better reach the 1,000!pt club in 3 years”!
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-27-19 09:09 PM - Post#282929    

I would indeed like to see Nate back for year 5.
But the contract was to provide 4 years of education and presumably an opportunity to earn a degree. If a man is eligible to play a sort for an additional year, I don't see an obligation to provide a scholarship for that fifth year. If the 5th year happens, it would need to be by mutual consent.

BTW, I believe Steven Tyreee did receive that 5th year scholarship. Also, transfer Brian Fitzpatrick had a year of eligibility remaining when he graduated, and did play that fifth year. I also understand that the only year for which Brian received a scholly was that graduate year. Note that Nate and Brian both played in the shadow of outstanding centers until their final years.

res
Masters Student
Posts 839
03-27-19 09:27 PM - Post#282930    

The contract isn't even for four years. Scholarships are awarded annually. There is no guarantee beyond that. Schools can, and do, "pull" scholarships from players all the time. The reason it doesn't happen more frequently is that going to that well too often obviously can obviously kill future recruiting.

Doktore K
Masters Student
Posts 473
03-27-19 09:37 PM - Post#282931    

Old Bison: If you are questioning Nate Sestina's loyalty and what he has given Bucknell over the past 4 years, then we are in different worlds. He does not owe Bucknell another year. He has graduated, and while on the court he played great, he played hurt, and he is a fine young man. I'll root for him wherever he ends up.

Sure I'd like to see him battle Colgate for another year but he has earned the right to move on and play where he wants.

On the overall point of Bucknell athletes and 5th year eligibility vs. the rest of the PL, I do heartily agree with you. We need to be open to that. Let the Board of Trustees hear your views loud and clear on that one.

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
03-27-19 11:25 PM - Post#282933    

Assuming that Nate made this decision within the last 6 months, which by all accounts he did, with 4 recruits coming in next year there are no more scholarships left. A true Bucknell fan should be excited that one of their players has the opportunity to play for one of the most prestigious programs in the country. If Nate feels going to a Blue Blood is the best route for him, then we should all support him. He has worked extremely hard and been a standout teammate, earning this tremendous opportunity. This is the reason the Bucknell Coaching Staff is supporting and guiding him in this process. He has earned the freedom to have a first class experience at a blue blood, let him have it.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-27-19 11:29 PM - Post#282934    

• Old Bison Said:
It’s not constitutional if he has the bonafides for admission to the graduate school.

Accuracy: F
Melodrama: A++
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 12:12 AM - Post#282935    

• Old Bison Said:
And I’ll also go back to my original point about loyalty being a two way street. If the kid has an extra year of eligibility through no fault of his own then the University’s position is unsupportable. The kid accepted a scholarship to play ball in tandem with getting a degree. If he has a year of eligibility left than he is a senior with respect to his original agreement to compete athletically at the NCAA D1 level. How can the University prohibit that. If he’s qualified academically for admission to the grad school than the University’s position would be laughed at in a court of law. He’s being discriminated against and not being allowed to fulfill his potential under the terms of his scholarship. I’m no lawyer but if he takes Buck to court he kicks the school’s butt if I’m on that jury.

If an athlete could make a strong case for really wanting the Master's degree - as opposed to simply wanting to do the program to gain another year of eligibility - it likely wouldn't be a problem. However Bucknell offers very few Master's programs - mostly Education and Engineering - which is a big issue. Last year there was a total of 31 grad students admitted.

Bucknell offers very few Master's programs - mostly Education and Engineering - which is a big issue. Most athletes do not have strong credentials to get into one of those two programs. Last year there were a total of 31 grad students admitted in all departments combined.

Stephen Tyree went for some sort of Educational administration program, but I don't think his interest level was very high. And it took a LONG time for him to gain admission since he was not an Education major.

As for Bucknell's position in a court of law, they would be on extremely strong ground. First, the athletes we are discussing all are going to earn their degrees in four years. Bucknell didn't promise anyone a 5th year once they had completed their degree. Secondly, in most cases, athletic scholarships have a one-year duration. Bucknell normally honors it for four years, as they should, but there is nothing in writing that makes it automatically renewable for as long as the athlete likes.

Having said this, it is clear that other PL schools have a lot less integrity than Bucknell when it comes to OK'ing a 5th year for an athlete. There are numerous 5th year athletes in many PL sports every year - but virtually none are from Bucknell. The only exception would be an athlete who transferred in (rare), who requires five years to fulfill graduation requirements. Or the very rare case (Alex Pechin) of a five-year engineer.

If Bucknell wanted to level the playing field, it would need to start being reasonable about athletes taking on a second major, with a curriculum that would carry into a fifth year. That would solve the problem of having almost no relevant graduate programs.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 12:14 AM - Post#282936    

Duplicate Post

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 12:22 AM - Post#282937    

• Old Bison Said:
My point about transfers is it’s a lot easier to reduce the “hit or miss” aspect of recruiting if you take transfers two years later. Admissions is a separate issue

Well, one of your points was that Bowling Green is a weak school with very easy admission standards, implying Colgate was doing an end run around the AI by taking a transfer from there. As it turns out, that athlete is more than qualified for the PL academically.

If you had brought up Murphy Burnatowski, you might have been on firmer ground. Ed Porter, who Lehigh brought in from a Juco, might be another example. He fit in under the AI, but promptly became academically ineligible as a biology major. Now he has switched to sociology.

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-28-19 12:23 AM - Post#282938    

Thank you Doktore K & Scotty! I can't believe the bull.s.hit I'm reading on this post regarding Nate and his "loyalty" to Bucknell & all that nonsense. A true fan would be happy for him & wish him well on his next journey. Nate doesn't come from $ so without a scholarship there would be no 5th yr and Bucknell didn't have or bother to save one for him if he decided to play his 5th yr in Lewisburg

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-28-19 08:04 AM - Post#282943    

My sister got her Master of Arts in English. 😂 Trust me, she questions the relevancy to this day.

Nate should do what is best for Nate. Period. He’s owes us nothing and we owe him our thanks for being such a hard worker and bringing us joy. He’s living his life and we are watching basketball. Let’s get some perspective.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 08:40 AM - Post#282945    

Hey BF4 and Scotty ((whoever the hell you are) what the hell would you know about being a true fan? Did you play for the program? Do you support it financially? Do the kids that graduate call you and ask you to help them in their careers? As far as the solid ground legally issue are you telling me that if Nate Sestina applied to the graduate level Masters program and the University denied admission then this would be a just decision? Assuming they didn’t he is then eligible to play NCAA basketball. If they deny him admission when he has a track record and exemplary academic record at the same institution then clearly the normal admission process and criteria has been short circuited based on external criteria That’s discriminatory and I don’t believe for a minute that such a case in a court of law is a weak one. I’m not a lawyer but I’ll stand on my original position The issue of a scholarship is a joke. He doesn’t NEED a scholarship. He doesn’t need to take a full load of courses. That’s how Masters degrees work. I would think that 80-90% of MBA candidates take a limited load at night after work. Students work in the day and go to school at night. There are for rent signs all over Lburg. You could get a small apt for 300-500 a month. They’re are guys who played at Buck working at local banks (he can’t get a PT internship). Also it’s now pointed out that others received a scholarship in a fifth year as well. There are guys doing basketball training by me that do not have Nate’s background and are getting a $100 for an hour and a half and are running some sessions with as many as 6-8 kids at a time. Here’s the point, when Nate needed the school and a scholarship Bucknell was there for him and it was an amazing “get” for him. Now he’s still able to represent and he’s too big a fish for Bucknell’s small pond. What does playing a fifth year at UK provide that Buck doesn’t other than being on CBS and ESPN? You’re all out of your mind. I don’t know how Jay Wright and Villanova University will ever recover there reputations after allowing Phil Booth to play a 5th year but I do know one thing: the last fthing the UoK needs is another f-ing basketball player. If the shoe fit for 4 years then it should fit for 5 and I stand by my original position that that’s how real loyalty works. So it’s his last year and he know longer likes his chances getting back to the NCAA’s as a bison. What a crock of crap
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 08:42 AM - Post#282946    

I also agree that Nate should do what’s best for Nate but the whole thing smells “if you’re a real fan”
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 08:46 AM - Post#282948    

BRW - if that’s your best shot you better sharpen up your writing pencil. At least I get a laugh out of you. 😄
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 08:48 AM - Post#282949    

Boy, all the Marine crap went out the window in lieu of a Kentucky jersey
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 09:02 AM - Post#282950    

And I stand by my other original position that if the University is refusing the kid an opportunity to stay and play then it’s a real negative for recruiting because all kids get hurt and a bunch of other PL schools all work to assist kids that get hurt. Boston U, Lehigh & HC have had a bunch of them in hoop
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-28-19 09:23 AM - Post#282951    

What does playing for the program or supporting it financially or helping graduates have to do with being a FAN?! You are delusional. Playing a 5th yr at a power 5 school such as Kentucky gives him more exposure, allows him to develop his skills more & improve on weaknesses and put him in a better position to achieve his ultimate goal, the NBA. Anyone here in his situation would jump at the chance to play for a major basketball powerhouse if they heavily pursued you & offered a scholarship for a 5th yr. If you say otherwise you're full of it. & yes he does need a scholarship for his 5th yr. Between classes, practices, workouts, team meetings etc. please tell me when he would have time to work a job to pay for grad school. & what exactly are you referring to with the Marine comments, about"pulling the Marine card" & "all the Marine crap went out the window..."?? Nate's brothers are Marines & he has the utmost respect and admiration for them, what does that have to do with anything?
Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
03-28-19 09:30 AM - Post#282952    

Nate likely would have stayed, but Bucknell didn't let him. Not sure what's so hard to understand there.

If you have someone at Bucknell to complain to... please do so.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 09:37 AM - Post#282954    

Being a fan and posting on a web site is worth crap. I’m a supporter first and a fan second. These programs aren’t automatically sustainable...that’s what my delusion is all about and I take it as a given that your answer to all 3 of my questions is a NO. Why are you even on the board? All opinion and no sweat, no support and no opportunity cost. More opinions will surely get the program where it needs to stay and go. Are you one of the guys that the coaching staff sucks every time the kids shoot 20% from 3
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 09:46 AM - Post#282955    

Furthermore, your premise is that the ONLY WAY the kid can go to the NBA is if he plays at Kentucky. Ja Morant is going to be drafted in the top five from Murray State. He didn’t need to transfer to Kentucky. If the kids a pro he’s a pro and a year at UoK doesn’t make him a pro. Also, if he blows his knee out next year in the preseason then he’ll learn a lot about loyalty at Kentucky
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 10:15 AM - Post#282957    

Maryland Bison...thank you. I’m curious as to whether that’s your opinion or you have knowledge that is a fact? It was where I originally started with my first post. Did the University not accommodate the opportunity or structure for Nate to stay, OR did Nate never express the desire to stay and inquire as to its feasibility. I’ve been arguing both sides of the equation on a hypothetical basis. If the University forced him to move on then I’m disappointed in the University given the nature of the kid. If the kid is transferring to Kentucky on his own he’s being naive and I’m disappointed in the kid. The ONLY thing BF4 got right is this is all about exposure. If that’s the case the kid missed his Bucknell education
crd012
Junior
Posts 262
03-28-19 10:22 AM - Post#282958    

This has gotten a bit ridiculous. Look Bucknell doesn't really have a graduate program for him so it was never really an option.

But are we really blaming a kid who was at Bucknell played four years, was a great teammate and player and now looking elsewhere, when he can't play here anymore? Furthermore, are we also blaming him for being attracted to a place that is all about basketball? Let's be honest here, at Kentucky he will have better facilities, better coaching, and better competition. Furthermore, Reid Travis did the same thing last year from Stanford. I think a lot of us watch a lot of college basketball, you can't honestly say that his exposure isn't better by going to Kentucky than compared to doing a 5th year at Stanford.

I don't generally root for Kentucky, but if Nate is on the team I will. I don't feel slighted by him leaving, I feel more proud honestly. No need to bash him.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 11:00 AM - Post#282960    

BF4...the difference between you and me is that I will be here another 20 years and you're gone once Nate's gone. As far as I'm concerned you don't get an opinion. OK

crd12...with all due respect please read my post to Maryland Bison...its not ridiculous. I'm trying to discern (on a factual basis) what has transpired here. If this is University policy we need a period of enlightenment. As I said previously, do you think Villanova will get less applicants this year because Phil Booth played 5 YEARS. The only one as stupid as me are the priests at Villanova! This is thankfully my last post on this issue.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 11:02 AM - Post#282961    

• Old Bison Said:
And I stand by my other original position that if the University is refusing the kid an opportunity to stay and play then it’s a real negative for recruiting because all kids get hurt and a bunch of other PL schools all work to assist kids that get hurt. Boston U, Lehigh & HC have had a bunch of them in hoop

They have each had a few. Note however that Lehigh and Boston U have extensive graduate schools, which enables players to find programs that benefit them. Bucknell does not, unfortunately. Holy Cross does not have a grad school, but allows double majors. I think their only five-year player in the last 15 years was Andrew Keister.

As I said before, having very few grad programs makes it difficult for all involved. Most either are unqualified for the few grad programs available or have no interest. Would be simpler if Bucknell simply let athletes who want to use up their eligibility add a second major and take a 5th year if that is what they wanted.

As for loyalty, maybe you could make that case if Bucknell had extensive grad programs and offered its athletes as useful a grad degree as they could get somewhere else - but they don't. Many PL graduate transfers have ended up with free MBA's. That is something that is valuable and unavailable at Bucknell.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 11:04 AM - Post#282962    

• Old Bison Said:
BF4...the difference between you and me is that I will be here another 20 years and you're gone once Nate's gone. As far as I'm concerned you don't get an opinion. OK

That's a bit silly. His opinion obviously comes from a different place, but it is certainly relevant.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 11:07 AM - Post#282963    

• Old Bison Said:
Did the University not accommodate the opportunity or structure for Nate to stay, OR did Nate never express the desire to stay and inquire as to its feasibility.

What if he simply became aware that the few available Bucknell grad programs didn't work for him because of his major and career interests?

A better case to talk about might be star wrestler Tom Sleigh, who apparently wanted to return to use up his last year of eligibility but was unable to do so.

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-28-19 11:17 AM - Post#282965    

• Old Bison Said:
Being a fan and posting on a web site is worth crap. I’m a supporter first and a fan second. These programs aren’t automatically sustainable...that’s what my delusion is all about and I take it as a given that your answer to all 3 of my questions is a NO. Why are you even on the board? All opinion and no sweat, no support and no opportunity cost.

Here, Old Bison veers from being comically curmudgeonly to outright rude.

I'm certain I know who BisonFan4 is. If so, I'd bet he attended more Bucknell games this season than anyone here.

I saw him in gyms from Vermont to California and many places in between. His support no doubt entailed significant personal expense, long hours on the road and the necessity to alter his work schedule. In other words, your accusation that he is "all sweat, no support and no opportunity cost" is 180 degrees wrong and frankly disgraceful.

Old Bison, your financial and other support of the program is laudable. It's a shame, though, that your passion would lead you to lash out at BisonFan4 without any basis for your accusation.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
03-28-19 11:25 AM - Post#282966    

BRW - why do you keep missing the forest for the trees. He's supporting Nate exclusively. If Nate was at Penn State he would have been in different states and different gyms. So my comment is not disgraceful. I'm making the distinction that my only interest is in the program, the kids, and the University whereas BF4's only interest is Nate. That's a big distinction --- wake up. That thankfully is my last post on the matter for the second time until someone else pisses me off to no end with an inane contribution
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-28-19 11:33 AM - Post#282967    

• Old Bison Said:
That thankfully is my last post on the matter for the second time until someone else pisses me off to no end with an inane contribution

Says the guy who claimed the U.S. Constitution--in addition to protecting the human rights of armed self-defense, due process and free speech--assures Bucknell scholarship basketball players a redshirt year.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
03-28-19 11:55 AM - Post#282973    

Old Bison, I appreciate your passion and commitment to the program. NOBODY, except for one misguided poster above, has doubts regarding if you are a "true fan" or not. We have talked in person and shared a meal together. So, I know that you truly care about the program.

I think that there are certain limitations to what Bucknell can do largely due to the size of the school which contributes to their being very few graduate degree programs. If Bucknell had a couple of thousand graduate students in 50+ programs, IMO, it would make sense to have more Redshirt Seniors who were pursuing graduate degrees, but unfortunately, that is not the case. I do not think that this will change anytime soon.

As for Nate, IMO, he has worked hard for 4 years, contributed to the program, and is on pace to graduate in 4 years. I do not think that we can ask much more. At this point, if he wants to pursue a graduate degree elsewhere and basketball helps him to do this, then, by all means, go for it. It is his life, and if he were one of my sons, I would advise him to make the decision that will put him in the best position to succeed in life.

GO NATE!

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-28-19 07:18 PM - Post#283011    

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. & no when Nate is gone I'll still be cheering on Bucknell! I am a fan of college basketball in general & after spending the past 4yrs watching this program & attending games, I have become a Bucknell fan and will continue to attend games at Sojka. I didn't realize this was a message board for only alumni & financial backers of the university, gtfoh! Yes, Nate is the reason I started following Bucknell but the university, coaching staff, players & atmosphere here is the reasoning will continue to be a Bison fan.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
03-28-19 07:28 PM - Post#283012    

I simply cannot fathom how someone can question Nate's loyalty. Nate, for all his hype and talent and ultimate success, is one of the most humble guys I have seen come through this program. Read the article posted about his grad transfer and you will find his teammate and fellow captain Kimbal say ,"Nate Sestina does not know how good he is". He loves Bucknell, and loves his teammates, but circumstances did not allow for him to stay 1 more year.
He could have transferred his freshman year when he got hurt. He could have transferred his sophomore year after seeing less playing time than D.J. McClay, while knowing he still would have almost no shot at beating out ZT or NF for minutes his Junior year. A player as talented as him could have chased hundreds of other opportunities across the country to showcase his ability to play at a high level HOWEVER, he WAS LOYAL to his team and this university and stuck it out to finally be rewarded with the opportunity to have the year he had worked so hard for. After all his sacrifice he finally earned a starting role, and performed so well that the Blue Bloods have come calling. Ask any of his teammates, coaches or anyone at this school and they will tell you how incredibly excited they are for him and how proud they will be to see him playing on ESPN every weekend for a P5 school. Logistically, his decision was go to Europe or another college. He chose college. He's not "ring chasing" or anything of the sort. If it were up to him he would come back and make a Sweet 16 run with the teammates he loves. Unfortunately, circumstances did not allow for him to do that. Wish the school could help him come back? Many agree. Attack his character? Shame on you.
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-28-19 07:30 PM - Post#283014    

Exactly! Couldn't have stated that any better!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-28-19 08:24 PM - Post#283018    

Well said Scotty-14.

You could have added one more thing when you talk about the reasons some people in his situation might have transferred at various point in time: When the coach who recruited him - i.e. Dave Paulsen - left, he had the opportunity to move to numerous other programs, including an A-10 program or two, if his loyalty had been more to the coach than to Bucknell. But he remained committed to Bucknell, as did Kimbal and Nate.

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
03-28-19 11:33 PM - Post#283024    

& yes thank you BRW. I attended all but 5 games this yr & the Hawaii tournament. I was lucky enough to have bosses that are huge basketball fans and love Nate so they were willing to work with me & my schedule to allow me to attend so many games. It involved many 12-16hr shifts & 70-80hr work weeks to make it possible, but was so worth every bit of it watching this team throughout the yr. Going to all the games and personally getting to know the players & their families & coaching staff over the past few yrs had been an awesome experience. It's made me a fan and I will continue to be a Bucknell fan long after Nate leaves campus. His dad & I plan to catch some games at Sojka next yr & we'll continue to follow the guys.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-31-19 05:51 PM - Post#283115    

Watching Kentucky-Auburn, tried to imagine Nate playing the role of Travis. Both 6’8” 235. Different skill sets, however.
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
03-31-19 09:08 PM - Post#283121    

Check out the Love Nate is getting from Big Blue Nation!!

http://kentuckysportsradi o.com/basketball-2/buckne...

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-01-19 10:28 PM - Post#283166    

https://watchstadium.com/news/these-are-the-be st-c...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-02-19 12:02 AM - Post#283167    

Bucknell grad transfer Nate Sestina visiting UK

Nate Sestina talks about possible transfer to Kentucky

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
04-03-19 10:32 AM - Post#283208    

Are you a troll? Like seriously are from the Holy Cross board and are mad you didn't join the Big East?

Bucknell has a $851 million endowment and if someone has to give money to be a fan, college sports wouldn't exist. Literally. Your view is moronic Old Bison and frankly I'm embarrassed for you saying it.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-03-19 11:35 AM - Post#283218    

Many don't agree with Old Bison's opinion on this - including me - but he is definitely not a troll or a HC fan. Has been associated with Bucknell for a long time.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
04-04-19 10:27 AM - Post#283263    

OK.....
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-04-19 12:27 PM - Post#283268    

Nate has chosen to transfer to Kentucky:

https://twitter.com/natesestina23/status/ 111383703...

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-04-19 01:09 PM - Post#283269    

Nate has chosen to transfer to Kentucky:

https://twitter.com/natesestina23/status/ 111383703...

Good luck to Nate. Make us proud!!!

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
04-04-19 01:12 PM - Post#283270    

I don’t normally root for Kentucky but I’ll make an exception for next season.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
04-04-19 04:14 PM - Post#283277    

Program awareness boost with a Bucknell mention on every Kentucky broadcast.
Shot Clock
Masters Student
Posts 883
04-04-19 04:43 PM - Post#283282    

Congrats to Nate and congrats to Kentucky. Wish him well.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

scorekeeper
Freshman
Posts 59
04-04-19 04:59 PM - Post#283284    

Congratulations and Best Wishes to you on your new endeavor!
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-05-19 10:49 AM - Post#283305    

Lexington Herald Leader article on Nate's signing with Kentucky. They include some nice quotes from his high school coach. Also, they indicate that there should be lots of minutes available in UK's front court.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentuc ky-s...

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
04-05-19 11:33 AM - Post#283312    

Doug Birdsong appeared on the radio show of Tom Leach, the "Voice of the Wildcats." An entertaining chat that also extends to Doug's early days in Kentucky radio and the origin of "Bingo!"

His segment starts at the 19:11 mark of the April 5th podcast:
https://www.tomleachky.com/
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:08 PM - Post#283368    

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/resea rch/preva...
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:09 PM - Post#283369    

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/nca a-fin...
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:22 PM - Post#283370    

OH! CALIPARI WAS AGAINST IT UNTIL HE WAS FOR IT!

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/3287038002

And how many program’s wins were vacated after he left?

I worked on a staff with Bruce Pearl in ‘80-‘81....and how many program violations did he leave in his wake?
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:24 PM - Post#283371    

Guys, do you not understand that this is another OUTRiGHT scam that enhances P5’s abuses while hurting mid-majors? With all due respect this must be the Slippery Rock State board
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:28 PM - Post#283372    

Lastly, there are 26 Kentucky Wildcats presently on NBA rosters today (slightly less than circa 7.5%). How the hell did the other 92.5% get in the NBA w/o transferring to UoK?
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:42 PM - Post#283374    

NOBODY with any integrity is for the rule. It’s another abuse. So you feckin guys think Nate’s going to grad school?
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 05:47 PM - Post#283375    

Please don’t come back to me and imply I’m saying Jay W has no integrity. Jay is the best but he’s got to play the cards the NCAA is dealing and VU is smart enough to get out of the way if those are the rules of the road. We (BU) are the only guys that want to have a discussion about the level of the speed limit. Oy Vey
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-06-19 06:11 PM - Post#283379    

It’s clear the NCAA is changing the rule because they’re so concerned about the increased pressure on graduate admissions rates in the USA. Pretty soon real graduate students won’t be able to matriculate post their BA with all the D1 football and hoop kids looking to pursue advanced degrees.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
04-07-19 09:08 AM - Post#283394    

BRW...aka “the writer”...above is irony (I.e., sarcasm, cynicism, dryness, bitterness, sharpness, satire, ridicule et. al.)

It may or may not rise to the level of un-Constitutionality
atlantabison
PhD Student
Posts 1835
04-08-19 02:09 PM - Post#283424    

"The lone men’s basketball voice on the committee was St. Joseph’s Coach Phil Martelli, who in a widely publicized 2011 case blocked one of his graduating players from transferring by refusing to sign a release. Partially as a result of that case, releases are no longer required."

From the NYTimes article. Ironically the aforementioned student was already a transfer to St. Joe's and should be very familiar to those on this board.

Ray Bucknell!

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
04-08-19 06:51 PM - Post#283428    

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/colle...

Nice article with some interesting points that explain some questions/issues raised on this board.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-08-19 09:45 PM - Post#283432    

• BisonFan4 Said:
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/colle...

Nice article with some interesting points that explain some questions/issues raised on this board.

BisonFan4, that is a very good article. Nice find.

I agree that it clears up a lot. Sestina had his coaches' blessing to look for another school. (An apology or two might be in order.)

I like how humble he appears to be, but when he is on the court, he plays with so much energy and attitude.

I might have to root for Kentucky next season. It will be a 1 and done!

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
04-09-19 05:34 PM - Post#283481    

Nice article. I think Nate has a great chance to contribute. It is an exciting time for him and I wish him all the best.
atlantabison
PhD Student
Posts 1835
04-10-19 09:39 AM - Post#283494    

But boy I am going to feel slimy rooting for a Calipari coached team next year.
Ray Bucknell!

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-10-19 10:40 AM - Post#283499    

• atlantabison Said:

Personally, I'm justifying it in my mind by saying that I am rooting for the players (one in particular) not the coach. I know that it is a very fine line.

On the other hand, if Kentucky plays either Nova or Bucknell, I won't be rooting for Kentucky.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
04-10-19 12:56 PM - Post#283504    

• atlantabison Said:

What he said!!! Btw, didn’t his Memphis team that beat us and won the title in 2006 have to relinquish the title due to some Calipari slime ball activity?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-10-19 02:07 PM - Post#283508    

• bison63 Said:
  • atlantabison Said:

What he said!!! Btw, didn’t his Memphis team that beat us and won the title in 2006 have to relinquish the title due to some Calipari slime ball activity?

His 2006 team got knocked out in the Regional final. However, two years later, they had to vacate a national runner-up finish due to some rules violations involving Derrick Rose. A UMass team he coached also had to vacate a Final Four finish.

atlantabison
PhD Student
Posts 1835
04-10-19 02:08 PM - Post#283509    

in 2006 Florida beat UCLA in the final. I think it was an elite 8 appearance for Memphis that year and they lost to UCLA in the finals.

Had we beaten Memphis (darn foul trouble for Lee) we would have gotten to wear white in a sweet 16 game as Bradley the 13 seed advanced out of the other side.
Ray Bucknell!

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-18-19 12:12 PM - Post#283750    

https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/11 189082120...

bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
04-19-19 10:29 PM - Post#283823    

Just read an ESPN column suggesting that Sestina’s move to Kentucky may have played a part in 5-star Matthew Hurt’s decision to choose Duke over Kentucky.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
04-19-19 10:39 PM - Post#283824    

Hoping this is the link. I’m not very good at this stuff.

https://es.pn/2Va3TqW
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-20-19 06:58 AM - Post#283825    

• bison75 Said:
Hoping this is the link. I’m not very good at this stuff.

https://es.pn/2Va3TqW

75, the link worked perfectly. Thanks for posting it.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-22-19 10:30 PM - Post#283868    

Sestina interview on "Hey Kentucky":

http://kentuckysportsradi o.com/basketball-2/watch-...

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
04-23-19 08:01 AM - Post#283877    

• Bison137 Said:
Sestina interview on "Hey Kentucky":

http://kentuckysportsradi o.com/basketball-2/watch-...

That was a very good interview. It might have been posted already, but can somebody please remind me what masters degree Nate plans on pursuing at Kentucky?

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-25-19 12:05 PM - Post#283926    

Goodman's ranking of the top 100 transfers:

https://watchstadium.com/news/ranking-the-best -tra...

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
05-23-19 11:38 AM - Post#284726    

Lunardi must like the moves that Kentucky has made. He moved them up from a 2 seed to a 1 seed. If all goes as expected, we should have somebody to cheer for well into the Dance, but a whole lot could happen between now and then.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Arti cle/Ken...

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
06-02-19 11:51 PM - Post#284929    

Richards and Montgomery Back.

Blackshear still in the mix.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
06-06-19 11:19 AM - Post#285008    

Video - including some interaction with Nate - from a Kentucky basketball camp for young kids:

https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/11 364346877...

Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
07-30-19 11:55 AM - Post#286434    

I just saw this today, but The Athletic had a long article on Sestina and Emporium a few months ago:

https://theathletic.com/943633/2019/04/25/nat e-ses...
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
07-30-19 03:06 PM - Post#286444    

• Maryland Bison Said:
I just saw this today, but The Athletic had a long article on Sestina and Emporium a few months ago:

https://theathletic.com/943633/2019/04/25/nat e-ses...

I can't read the entire article. It requires a paid subscription or a free 7-day trial that rolls into a paid subscription.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
07-30-19 07:31 PM - Post#286459    

Ditto, but now I know how to get to Emporium.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
07-30-19 11:16 PM - Post#286470    

The Athletic is really enjoyable. Very good writing, interesting topics, and completely free of ads or those hugely annoying auto-play videos that dominate other sports websites.
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
07-31-19 12:43 AM - Post#286471    

You can download the app on a phone and get to read 2 free articles per month without a paid subscription. I downloaded it and read the entire article, which has non-Kentucky fans rooting for Nate and Kentucky in the upcoming season.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
07-31-19 03:06 PM - Post#286516    

It was a very cool, and long, article. I’m not necessarily a Kentucky (or Calipari) fan but I look forward to following Nate’s season. As for The Athletic, I’m enjoying the product. Tons of very good articles.
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
08-03-19 01:23 PM - Post#286691    

Nate and his teammates looking pretty scary, don't think many teams are looking forward to banging with these guys this season, lol

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2019/8/2 /2...
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
08-03-19 11:28 PM - Post#286700    

• BisonFan4 Said:
Nate and his teammates looking pretty scary, don't think many teams are looking forward to banging with these guys this season, lol

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2019/8/2 /2...

That's the real NBA Developmental League (or team). HUGE!

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-06-19 11:56 AM - Post#286796    

Meet the Wildcats: a short feature on Nate.

https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/11 583829640...

Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
08-07-19 10:27 PM - Post#286844    

Nate is getting a lot of attention from BBN Social Media a=including some love from Calipari...seems to be a good start in Lexington for him can't wait to see him in action
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
10-06-19 08:15 PM - Post#288344    

Nate was pretty impressive tonight at Kentucky's Pro day, going 20-24 in the 3pt shooting drill with only 2 of those touching the rim. Looked good in the 4v4 & 5v5 and getting alot of praise from Greenberg.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-06-19 09:13 PM - Post#288346    

Nate Sestina showed ability to shoot the basketball at Pro Day

Includes video of Nate shooting the three, plus an article. He has dropped from 245 pounds to 234.

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
10-06-19 10:48 PM - Post#288347    

http://kentuckysportsradi o.com/basketball-2/5-take...

I think Nate is going to make a much bigger impact at Kentucky than some believe.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
10-07-19 08:08 AM - Post#288349    

Yes, but the real question is whether HE IS SATISFIED with the diversity of UoK’s graduate curriculum and the “fit” with his long term career interests...let’s remember that was the driver!
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
10-07-19 09:49 AM - Post#288355    

• Old Bison Said:
Yes, but the real question is whether HE IS SATISFIED with the diversity of UoK’s graduate curriculum and the “fit” with his long term career interests...let’s remember that was the driver!

I, for one, am very happy for Nate. I've seen pictures, and his body has been completely transformed. He is obviously working extremely hard on his game with the hopes of playing at a high professional level. Could he have gotten there via a 5th year at Bucknell? Maybe, but it would have taken several years in Europe or elsewhere to get to the point he is at now, IMO.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
10-07-19 11:22 AM - Post#288358    

Doctor...agree and concur...is that redundant English majors?
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
10-08-19 11:11 PM - Post#288396    

• BisonFan4 Said:

I think Nate is going to make a much bigger impact at Kentucky than some believe.

Very impressive. Nate is def going all in to have the best season he can have. But I’m curious about the “adding 30lbs of muscle” quote.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-08-19 11:33 PM - Post#288399    

• MrPhillie Said:
  • BisonFan4 Said:

Very impressive. Nate is def going all in to have the best season he can have. But I’m curious about the “adding 30lbs of muscle”
quote.

Yes, I was curious also, considering that his overall weight is down 11 pounds. He definitely looks like he's in better shape, but I seriously doubt there is an additional 30 lbs of muscle.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-08-19 11:39 PM - Post#288400    

A big article on Nate from a few days ago:

Newcomer Nate Sestina a Talker and a Leader

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
10-09-19 07:02 AM - Post#288403    

Calipari remarks that Nate lost 25lbs...even though the article states he lost 11. But I believe Nate is a talker!
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
10-09-19 07:11 AM - Post#288404    

11lbs is just the difference from his listed weight last season & his weight after the summer workout. He showed up in Kentucky in June weighing 260
Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
10-16-19 09:51 AM - Post#288609    

Another Athletic article on Sestina:

https://theathletic.com/1296979/2019/10/16/th e-ses...
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
10-16-19 12:38 PM - Post#288625    

• Maryland Bison Said:
Another Athletic article on Sestina:

https://theathletic.com/1296979/2019/10/16/th e-ses...

It is a different world.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-16-19 08:24 PM - Post#288644    

"John Calipari says he doesn’t like taking mid-major transfers because it wrecks the program. Took Nate Sestina from Bucknell because assistant called and said they didn’t have a grad program. Cal asked how good he was. “Really good.” Cal’s response: “Then create a grad program." "

https://twitter.com/theblakelovell/status /11845648...

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
10-17-19 08:15 AM - Post#288650    

Coach Cal and I think alike
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
10-17-19 12:50 PM - Post#288663    

I'm sorry but that is sad and pathetic.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
10-17-19 10:38 PM - Post#288703    

Emperor has no clothes
scorekeeper
Freshman
Posts 59
10-18-19 10:55 PM - Post#288773    

Blue White scrimmage was tonight. Did anyone watch
it on the SEC Network?
MyOhMighty
Freshman
Posts 16
10-18-19 11:36 PM - Post#288774    

Sestina had 22 points on 8-12 shooting.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-23-19 02:25 PM - Post#288980    

ESPN has Nate 3rd on their list of top graduate transfers nationwide. First is a forward who transferred from VA Tech to Florida, and #2 is one who moved from Texas A&M to Gonzaga.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
10-23-19 05:50 PM - Post#288984    

He's creating quite a buzz with his Pro day & Blue & White performances. It's looking as though he'll be playing a much bigger role than the "locker room" veteran many thought he'd play.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
10-24-19 09:29 AM - Post#288993    

I hope he stays healthy!
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-27-19 10:49 PM - Post#289155    

Kentucky blows past Georgetown College in first exhibition

Nate had 11 points and a team-leading 10 rebounds in 25 minutes. Shot 4-6 on twos and 1-3 on threes. Also had a steal and a block. Only downside was 4 fouls.

Georgetown College is the defending NAIA national champs.

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
10-27-19 11:15 PM - Post#289156    

https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/11 886117388...

He was named Wendy's Player of the game.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
10-28-19 01:52 PM - Post#289199    

If Sestina can stay out of foul trouble, he should have a great season. Wow, this sounds like last year and the year before.

bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
11-01-19 06:42 PM - Post#289490    

Kentucky is on the SEC Network tonight at 7:00.
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
11-01-19 08:51 PM - Post#289493    

Nate finished the game with 13pts 8reb 3a 2blk
Scotty-14
Sophomore
Posts 156
11-01-19 09:38 PM - Post#289495    

Did he Start?
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
11-01-19 09:50 PM - Post#289496    

Yep. Had 11 points and three boards at halftime.
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
11-01-19 10:18 PM - Post#289499    

I think he will get the start on Tues regardless of Nick Richards status with his performance in the exhibition games & Montgomery's sub par play
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-06-19 07:03 AM - Post#290005    

Nate looked solid last night. He started, shot well (3-4), had a 3-pointer, 6 rebounds, and 2 assists in 31 min. Also, he had a monster dunk. He looked like he belonged on that level. If anything, he was not selfish enough. He will have to take more shots.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-07-19 08:24 PM - Post#290280    

Talk about Nate at Calipari's press conference today, and also some quotes directly from nate:

Bucknell team bus pulled over to celebrate Nate Sestina's big three

BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
11-08-19 11:02 PM - Post#290389    

Nate had another solid performance in their lopsided win against Eastern Kentucky... 12pts 11reb 2a 2st 2blk and only 2 fouls in 30 min
BisonFan4
Junior
Posts 211
11-08-19 11:58 PM - Post#290392    

Oh & his +/- was +49
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
11-12-19 08:51 PM - Post#290738    

Kentucky trails Evansville 34-30 at the half.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-12-19 09:47 PM - Post#290740    

Aces lead by 3 wit about 3 to go.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-12-19 10:05 PM - Post#290741    

Evansville wins 67-64. Nate & KU gave up a couple of offensive rebounds late that really hurt them.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-13-19 10:57 AM - Post#290784    

Kentucky lost. Party time in Evansville!

BreakinBison
Sophomore
Posts 146
11-13-19 12:49 PM - Post#290798    

Nate isn't receiving favorable reviews on Twitter for his defensive performance last night...sounds like Evansville was exploiting him a lot.

Of course some of that's on him but it's also on coaching to put him in the best position to succeed.
nh2032
Sophomore
Posts 185
11-27-19 11:28 AM - Post#292504    

Nate broke his wrist in practice and is out for approx 4 weeks. Feel bad for him. Unfortunately the bad luck with injuries followed him to Kentucky.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-27-19 11:30 AM - Post#292505    

• nh2032 Said:
Nate broke his wrist in practice and is out for approx 4 weeks. Feel bad for him. Unfortunately the bad luck with injuries followed him to Kentucky.

Bummer. I'd be surprised if it's only 4 weeks.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
11-27-19 11:57 AM - Post#292511    

Damn, tough break for Nate (no pun intended.) I wish him all the best in his recovery. Hopefully he still has a rotation spot when he returns.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-27-19 05:14 PM - Post#292548    

That is a shame, but it is part of sports. Hopefully, he will be healthy for a nice run in March.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-27-19 07:40 PM - Post#292567    

He’s never had a lot of luck with injuries. Feel almost as badly for him as the sad sack lot he left.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-29-19 09:43 AM - Post#292793    

• HuskyColonial Said:
Feel almost as badly for him as the sad sack lot he left.

Husky, if you are referring to the current team, IMO, that is
inappropriate and unwarranted. We are not the Holy Cross board.

Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
11-29-19 09:50 PM - Post#292876    

Their season doesn’t start in earnest until the SEC tourney & the dance. He’s got some recuperative time thankfully
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-30-19 07:08 AM - Post#293014    

If this board is going to have fan police then you’ll be losing many posters this season. This team is BAD until they’re not.
Old Bison
Masters Student
Posts 619
11-30-19 10:35 AM - Post#293016    

I don’t think a bit of decorum is going to chase anybody away quite frankly and when I break my own 24 hour rule and react way too emotionally I am the first to apologize. A lot of people have spent a good amount of time and effort in creating a winning culture. I remember sitting on the shower room floor with Pat F and Nathan after an OT loss to Wake at Sojka after JV took an inexplicable jump shot and followed it up by committed the second deadly sin of jumping on the rebounder’s back in the double bonus AND stopping the clock. Pat’s mobile rang and it was Jay who was watching from home. His call probably kept Pat from committing suicide that night. IT ISN’T EASY. Please have some proper respect. Tx you.
Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
11-30-19 05:39 PM - Post#293044    

• HuskyColonial Said:
If this board is going to have fan police then you’ll be losing many posters this season. This team is BAD until they’re not.

I fully appreciate and respect your opinion. There are no fan police on this board, just opinions. In the past when I have said something derogatory towards players, it has been brought to my attention that it is inappropriate. I feel obligated to do the same.

Go Bison!

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-30-19 06:52 PM - Post#293057    

Thanks Bison89. Emotions are powerful and when you’re disappointed they can spill over. I’m sure none of our players like losing FAR more than me.

To be civil, each team has their own identity and leaders. Even in years that are disappointing. I have ZERO idea what the identity of this team is or who is leading it.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-02-19 07:24 PM - Post#293312    

Comparing Bucknell and Kentucky:

- on 11/25/19 Bucknell beat Seattle 77-70
- on 11/26/19 Seattle beat Wes tern Michigan 59-55
- on 11/09/19 W Michigan beat Milwaukee 115-110
- on 11/15/19 WI Milwaukee beat Missouri KC 61-52
- on 11/22/19 Missouri KC beat G Washington 74-68
- on 11/23/19 G Washington beat Evansville 78-70
- on 11/12/19 Evansville beat Kentucky 67-64

Since we know that the transitive property is always right when it comes to comparing teams, Bucknell is clearly better than Kentucky by 42 points.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-18-19 09:30 PM - Post#294855    

Nate returned to practice today and there is a chance he may see some minutes tonight vs Utah in Vegas. If not tonight, then probably Saturday vs Ohio State.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Arti cle/Ken...

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
12-21-19 08:41 PM - Post#295104    

Sestina is hot, 5-8 from behind the arch for 17 so far against Ohio State.

On CBS.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-08-20 12:55 AM - Post#296228    

Nate had 8 points, 7 rebounds, and an assist in 20 minutes tonight. Kentucky beat a pretty good Georgia team on the road.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-08-20 01:33 AM - Post#296230    

https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/12 147690031...

Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
02-04-20 11:11 PM - Post#298573    

Nate just left Kentucky’s game tonight holding his right shoulder. Looked similar to his injury freshman year, hopefully it’s not serious.
Bucknellbisonfan21
Masters Student
Posts 548
Bucknellbisonfan21
02-04-20 11:15 PM - Post#298575    

Nate just left Kentucky’s game tonight holding his right shoulder. Looked similar to his injury freshman year, hopefully it’s not serious.

Might have just been a stinger or something, he’s getting ready to check back in.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-18-20 10:53 PM - Post#300614    

Nate got his 1000th career point tonight. He didn't shoot the ball well in the first half but has a team-leading five rebounds in 12 minutes. Kentucky leads LSU on the road 29-28 at the half.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-18-20 11:47 PM - Post#300622    

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_MBB/status/1 229973294...

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-19-20 09:57 AM - Post#300646    

Congratulations to Nate...nice accomplishment given he started only one season.

While he had some nice scoring and rebounding stats last night, seems he had some late turnovers that really hurt his team.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.772 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:44 PM