Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Oni to Enter NBA Draft
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
03-29-19 10:33 AM - Post#283043    

Per ESPN, Miye Oni to enter the 2019 NBA Draft. According to the article, he will be signing with an agent.

http://africa.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/sto...

- "I plan on entering the 2019 draft," Oni told ESPN via text message. "I submitted my name to the Undergraduate Advisory Request to legally protect myself and my NCAA eligibility, but I have every intention of staying in the draft. I'll be signing with agent Harrison Gaines of SLASH Sports." -

- "I'll be training with Joe Abunassar and my longtime personal trainer, Jonathan Kelley, in preparation for the draft," Oni said. "I believe I will surprise NBA teams with my versatility. I have the ability to play 1, 2 and 3 offensively and defensively. I can run the pick-and-roll, shoot off the dribble, shoot off the catch and defend multiple spots. Whatever a team needs I will do." -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
03-29-19 10:38 AM - Post#283044    

BTW, Harrison Gaines is a former Penn player (2007-2009), who transferred to UC-Riverside after his first two years as a Quaker.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/07/penn- mens-ba...

Gaines is also Lonzo Ball's agent.

mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 402
03-29-19 11:33 AM - Post#283054    

YDN reporting that Oni has already signed with Gaines, not just planning to.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/03/29/mens- bas...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-29-19 11:37 AM - Post#283055    

P38 has a shrine to Gaines in his basement.

• rbg Said:
BTW, Harrison Gaines is a former Penn player (2007-2009), who transferred to UC-Riverside after his first two years as a Quaker.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/07/penn- mens-ba...

Gaines is also Lonzo Ball's agent.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
03-29-19 01:03 PM - Post#283064    

The New Haven Register has an article about the potential for Oni to return to Yale.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/Miye-O ni...

- Oni will petition the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee to see where — if at all — he will be selected in the 2019 NBA draft. He is allowed to hire an agent to help him through the process. -

- First-round picks get guaranteed money based on what pick they’re selected with. Money is not guaranteed for second-round picks, but the first 10 or 15 second-rounders usually find themselves in a pretty good position, often with guaranteed contracts. It’s players in the bottom half of the second round (or, of course, those that go undrafted) that have the toughest decisions to make. If Oni stayed in the draft but wasn’t selected, he Oni could still return to Yale, as long as he breaks off his agreement with his agent.

One mock draft website, NBAdraft.net, has Oni going with the 55th overall pick (ironically, one pick ahead of his former Yale teammate, Makai Mason, who played this past season as a grad transfer at Baylor). An ESPN mock draft currently has Oni going with the 53rd overall pick. That’s the area where Oni will have a very touch decision to make. -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
03-29-19 01:08 PM - Post#283067    

The YDN article has been updated.

- Although he emphasized his intent to remain in the draft, Oni maintains his collegiate eligibility by requesting an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Since 2016, college basketball players who declare for the draft have been able to remove themselves from the draft and maintain eligibility if they withdraw within ten days after the invite-only NBA combine in mid-May.

New NCAA policies updated in September 2018, meanwhile, allow basketball players who request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee and attend the combine to return to school if they are not selected and notify their institution’s athletics director by 5 p.m. the Monday following the draft. -

- Head coach James Jones said Oni would be in New Haven attending classes through the end of the semester and working out with his trainer and the Yale coaching staff to prepare for workouts with NBA teams. Jones said Oni will also be practicing with the rest of the team “as if nothing happened.”

“[Oni] obviously is excited about his opportunities going forward, and I am excited and happy for him,” Jones said. “He’s going to get information from the NBA in terms of where they see him going in the 2019 NBA Draft. If he’s anywhere from one to 40 on the draft, I will drive him to New York myself. If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
03-29-19 01:23 PM - Post#283069    

I agree with Jones.
mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 402
03-29-19 01:28 PM - Post#283072    

Yeah, those comments from Jones make a lot more sense. Obviously if you're going in the first round, you're staying in the draft. But even if you're a high second round pick, the commitment the team is making to you is usually enough for it to be worth it.

Anything else, and you're in and draft and stash territory.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-29-19 01:50 PM - Post#283074    

Very well said by James Jones and this makes A LOOOOT more sense to me now. I don’t see him getting close to 40... best draft position I see is 51 and that is more of an outlier.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-29-19 02:31 PM - Post#283081    

• rbg Said:
If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -

Reminds me--was at a Westchester Knicks game recently. Was hoping to be impressed by Nate Hickman but he sadly disappointed.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
05-13-19 01:32 PM - Post#284459    

ESPN has projected Oni as the 54th pick in the NBA draft. The Pistons worked him out with several other players last week and they have the 45th pick. If he is drafted, I would not be surprised if he leaves Yale for his shot at the NBA although he can obviously wait until next year. In one mock draft, I did see Makai Mason as the 60th player drafted.

Great story based on performance of CJ McCollum in game 7 against Denver. He gave a shout out to Lehigh. He was the 10th player picked and Portland made a great selection.

I doubt that Oni or any current IL player can reach that type of level in the NBA but if so, it would be great for the league.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
05-13-19 04:11 PM - Post#284464    

Here is a take from Coach Jones right after Oni declared for the draft:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/03/29/mens- bas...

- “[Oni] obviously is excited about his opportunities going forward, and I am excited and happy for him,” Jones said. “He’s going to get information from the NBA in terms of where they see him going in the 2019 NBA draft. If he’s anywhere from one to 40 on the draft, I will drive him to New York myself. If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -

Here is a take from an Eastern Conference NBA Scout from a few weeks ago:
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/NBA-sc ou...

- The mock drafts are nearly unanimous in predicting Oni will go somewhere among the final 10 picks of the second round. Of course, there is no guaranteed money for second-round picks. And while some — maybe 10 or 15 — can get guaranteed contracts, players selected in the bottom half of the second round aren’t as likely.

Those players will more likely end up in the G-League, making nowhere near the millions of the NBA and with no guarantee of ever getting a sniff in the the league.

“It’s tough to pass up a Yale education,” said the scout. “I’d tell him to finish (school).” -

HGA
Sophomore
Posts 106
05-14-19 09:10 AM - Post#284485    

Given the projections, I agree that he should finish his last year, get his degree, and hopefully improve his draft potential for the '20 draft.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-14-19 10:05 AM - Post#284491    

Well, with Harvard having the HCA for next year's tournament, does anyone else really have a chance?
westphillywarrior
Sophomore
Posts 196
05-14-19 11:53 AM - Post#284495    

Oni could improve his draft position without Yale winning the tournament.

It's true that the home court is a huge advantage but Penn and Yale (with Oni) should be strong and will have at least some chance. Remember Princeton was able to beat Penn in overtime the first tournament when we had the home court advantage, so it's been done.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-14-19 12:17 PM - Post#284497    

I should have put up the winking Icon---I was poking the Harvard posters, all of whom have unceasingly pointed to HCA for why they have not won the tournament yet.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-14-19 06:40 PM - Post#284507    

Harvard is a massive favorite next year on anyone’s court. They are an even bigger one at home no doubt.

This being said yale with oni is a contender. If they get good pg play and bruner makes the jump he can from a real offseason for once then they should make the playoff which gives them better than a punchers chance statistically. pretty loaded actually assuming any growth in existing 4 of 7 “starters” coming back. And they have talent up and down this roster otherwise assuming it develops in line w expectations.

Oni likely goes if he has a good combine and/or good workouts. The goal is to get closer to 40 than 60 in this draft.
Next year might not improve much for him regardless bc he will be 22 and almost 23.
The Yale degree argument is dumb to me and I have one. He has one year of credits left and as smart as he is that can be done relatively easily in a few off seasons which he will do. basically he is getting this degree regardless so why let it impact his timing. At worst he will get paid and plays in a high euro league. At best he gets an nba roster spot. And in the middle is possibly a 2 way g/nba deal.from what I can gather getting picked at 40 wld all but guarantee the non-euro scenario. Not sure if it’s say 45.

The combine performance will of course matter in framing upside/downside in this draft. but I don’t know how high the bar really is...make more shots than he did against LSU? Show his athleticism. but his position doesn’t improve much next year?
And his skill if showed is 3 and D. That stock is accorded a high multiple right now if they believe in him. Will the value on his skill go up next year? They might feel better abt it but they don’t increase their multiple on him I don’t think. They also could cut the valuation multiple. He might feel better finishing his degree and getting a Y letter sweater. But there is possible opportunity cost

of course I hope he doesn’t leave bc they would be dangerous
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-14-19 07:06 PM - Post#284508    

I think that if he doesn't get a guaranteed contract, he should return to Yale and try to up his game. He can always go Euro after that if the NBA doesn't work out. But if his dream is the NBA, why not work on his game at Yale for another year (assuming he cannot get that guaranteed contract)?
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
05-14-19 08:10 PM - Post#284509    

I agree with most of your points and your rationale. If he gets drafted, not a slam dunk, I also believe that he will go. Excellent athletes, by and large, believe in their abilities and look at the opportunity with a glass half full vs half empty. Oni may be the exception and take the conservative route and stay at Yale but my hunch and only a guess is that he leaves if drafted.

I hope that he stays at Yale and it will make the Bulldogs dangerous in IvyMadness even on the road.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2691
05-14-19 11:23 PM - Post#284512    

If you declare early for the draft I find it hard to believe a player doesn’t go if drafted.

League benefits if he stays, but only 60 players get drafted. No guarantee he gets drafted twice.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-15-19 12:16 AM - Post#284513    

Totally agree. No guarantee. And narrative right now is dIII to the combine. Not 21 almost 22. So with a decent showing I think he hits his draft ceiling. If that is drafted and in the 40s range he will go. And he leaves on top excluding his last game. With a degree to follow shortly
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
05-15-19 12:10 PM - Post#284529    

A player has to withdraw from the NBA Draft by May 29 if he wants to keep his NCAA eligibility. Oni cannot wait until the draft and then make his decision. And a player can only be drafted once - if he's in the draft this year, then he cannot play again in college, and he cannot be drafted again in a future draft.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-15-19 12:30 PM - Post#284530    

I just don't see him, at least right now, as an NBA player. I though Copeland had better NBA skills on last year's Yale team. Certainly is a better offensive player.

I wonder if Oni has thought about withdrawing from the draft, sitting out the year while getting his degree and then trying to transfer to a Power Conference school
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
05-15-19 12:37 PM - Post#284531    

If Oni wants to play in the NBA, I think this year is his best chance. Oni will be 22 years old when the next NBA season starts, which is already considered "old" for a drafted player. Playing one more year at Yale or transferring would make him 23 or 24, which would make his draft chances even worse.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-15-19 12:46 PM - Post#284532    

I get that, but when you watched Yale, did you think Oni had NBA skills, as Copeland seems to have? Copeland can break your ankle on a drive and shoots better than Oni. I just don't see it---other than that he has superior physicality.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2691
05-15-19 12:57 PM - Post#284533    

Copeland’s skills translate to pull up 2’s. That is not the way NBA teams play the game
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-15-19 01:02 PM - Post#284536    

He was a slightly better 3 point shooter than Oni by percentage--just didn't take as many. But he has NBA moves and Oni does not, IMO
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
05-15-19 01:05 PM - Post#284538    

Plenty of pull-up twos being taken in the NBA playoffs. And Copeland can hit threes. Not sure he can guard at that level, though.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
05-15-19 01:07 PM - Post#284539    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Copeland’s skills translate to pull up 2’s. That is not the way NBA teams play the game

CJ McCollum scored 37 pts in game 7 Sunday and took only 1 3pter. And CJ is a mid major college player.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-15-19 01:23 PM - Post#284541    

No crap. It’s why you do the combine workout for individual teams and have ur agent do his diligence. You frame it. But there are no guarantees until draft day

james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-15-19 01:26 PM - Post#284542    

cut and paste posts above. Save some effort
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-15-19 01:31 PM - Post#284544    

copeland isn’t in the same zip code as a 3 and d guy. Hell he wasn’t perceived as a pg going into this yr even at Yale

he will make money in Europe.

I don’t know if oni sticks. But he has the intangibles-size speed athleticism and isn’t a reluctant 3 point shooter. On paper he is perfect. I have doubts on film

Copeland doesn’t have the size isn’t a true point and is a reluctant 3 point shooter. But he has great skills for Europe
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
05-15-19 02:04 PM - Post#284550    

I agree with your comments regarding Copeland and he should have a good career in Europe. In fairness, he was very impressive in the game against LSU although LSU is not the NBA but a step up from the IL.

As to Oni, I hope that he receives the opportunity to play in the NBA but I have my doubts. The NBA does love the athletic types, like Oni, but he just may not have the skill sets to be a NBA player but it is worth giving it a try. Will he be drafted?

Currently, I do not believe that there is a future NBA player on anyone's roster although hopefully, I am wrong. At some point and time, it would be nice to see a break through IL player but very challenging to play in the NBA.
mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 402
05-15-19 02:29 PM - Post#284553    

"Other than his superior physicality" is quite the caveat. Oni has NBA size and athleticism; Copeland does not. I agree that Copeland has much better moves and feel for the game at this point — I thought that, even in the Ivies, Oni struggled against better defenders who he couldn't just overwhelm athletically — but that can be learned. Being 6'6'' and having a good vertical can not.

Because he's old for a junior, this really might be Oni's best chance to be drafted. The question, though, is what's best for his chances of getting a second contract — i.e., of sticking. Maybe it's staying for his senior year and being the de facto point guard to really work on his ball handling. Maybe not. It's not an easy decision.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-15-19 02:37 PM - Post#284555    

I tend to disagree with you. Unless you are 7'3" like Embiid, simple athleticism is not nearly enough in the NBA. A first step like Copeland has is far more important for a smaller player. But it is true in today's NBA, a player like Copeland has to be a great 3 point shooter.

I just don't see Oni getting drafted, although I wish him the best.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
05-15-19 09:24 PM - Post#284563    

I'm sure the NBA guys are going to look at potential, and Oni's physical gifts are a lot more impressive than Copeland's. But as far as dribbling past a good defender and hitting a shot, making PG-type passes, and controlling the pace of the game, Copeland is ahead of Oni right now. (Copeland was not a bad three-point shooter last season, plus that's a skill that can be developed by a natural shooter.)

There is a legitimate concern about whether he could defend NBA-level guards at all. And there are probably a lot of other players we haven't heard of who are about that good offensively who aren't playing in the NBA, possibly interchangeable with the Van Vleets and Cooks and such who have have made it as bench players.

james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-15-19 10:19 PM - Post#284565    

If you don’t watch the games ( not sure I missed one) look at the stats. Oni led the team in assets playing off ball most of the time.

The year before he led them in assists and played point a lot.

Copeland had a terrific year but wasn’t perceived as a pg internally coming in to even this year. According to James Jones “ arguably the best player on the team at getting us into offensive sets and putting the ball where it needs to go is Eric Monroe.”

Because copeland stepped up this yr in this role and because of the high ball screen offense they didn’t really need a true point. should mean copeland with his stepup in a/to and prolific mid range game and quickness should be able to grow and play well as a pro somewhere. Bc he will need to be pg in a competitive league

He was reluctant as a 3 point shooter until the marbles were down. He shot it well and less reluctantly at the end. Certainly James Jones thinks he is more capable than his career stats and reluctance indicate. He says as much. But Oni has real range and isn’t reluctant. And he is 6 6ish with a 6 10 wingspan. Which he is why he is one of 66 players in the world at the combine. On paper he is perfect for the modern nba.

Copeland’s defense is fine in the ivy. He isn’t in the zip code of defending nba guards

Oni has a chance bc he can guard wings and some 2 men. At least on paper. 3 and d. Which is why he has a chance to prove himself

Btw getting invited to the combine is unprecedented in the modern Ivy League. Unprecedented. You have to have the measurables and fit the prototype. Copeland isn’t close

Bruner is the closest thing I have seen at Yale and in the ivies.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
05-16-19 08:53 AM - Post#284569    

Here is a breakdown of Oni from a Hawks writer at SB Nation. The Hawks have pick #41 in the second round.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/15/18616307/...
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
05-16-19 12:51 PM - Post#284574    

I don’t disagree about Copeland’s deficiencies. No way would I project him as an NBA guy at this point. But the fact that he was harder to guard than Oni and played better against Princeton and LSU (at least offensively) than Oni makes me a bit skeptical about the latter’s prospects.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-16-19 01:28 PM - Post#284578    

I agree 100%. Copeland has an NBA first step---Oni has an NBA body. Guess it's a question of which is more important.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-16-19 04:54 PM - Post#284591    

Princeton at Yale. Oni 35/12/3

They played 3x. Copeland was terrific at the end of the year. Best ball of his career. And against Memphis in OT when they rest of the team had fouled out.

who was at the top of the LSU scouting report? who did the “best athlete in the SEC” guard, at least according to the Coach. The same guy who created and bricked 14 shots. But I give him credit they were open against said athlete.

The answer is the guy the GMs brought to the combine.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
05-16-19 05:30 PM - Post#284593    

Jeff Goodman is reporting that Oni told Coach Jones that he will stay in the draft.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 129134879...
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-16-19 06:05 PM - Post#284594    

sucks for us. But my rationale was spot on.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
05-16-19 06:08 PM - Post#284595    

If he stays in the draft, enough teams have probably communicated to his agent that he will be drafted. I think that he should give it a whirl.

For the IL, it would be a good sign that an IL player is drafted albeit probably late 2nd round. The IL still does not have top tier talent although they are heading in the right direction --I think.

I do believe that some of us think that the league is further along than probably the reality. The NBA draft is one barometer to measure the "real" talent level currently in the league.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-16-19 07:43 PM - Post#284603    

Getting drafted from the Ivy League is unprecedented in modern times. No guarantee for him in terms of career as a mid to late 2nd round pick. And bad for Yale next yr. but that would be a SEMINAL moment for the IL.

38.5 max vertical. 6’6 in shoes, 6’11 wingspan. Crappy runs but he’s fast so who cares

thats winning. So far
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
05-16-19 08:26 PM - Post#284604    

Oni can still change his mind until May 29. Some new reports this evening say that he is still leaving that option open.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-16-19 08:55 PM - Post#284606    

2/3 from nba 3 point range in scrimmage. 9 pts 2 rebs 1 block. Only 16 mins
One more good game. With the 38.5 max vert
He gone. Will max out draft potential right now at 21/22.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
05-17-19 02:38 AM - Post#284608    

Here's the boxscore from that first scrimmage:

https://stats.nba.com/game/0921900001/?sort =pts&am...
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
05-17-19 02:02 PM - Post#284618    

I hope he does well and he has potential. But as the games against Princeton and LSU showed, if an athletic defender (e.g. Stephens) is dedicated to him, he struggles to score with his current skill set.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-17-19 02:29 PM - Post#284621    

Yes, for each of us the results against our team may color our view. Against Penn last year, in 2 games, Oni was 8-24, while Copeland was 14-24.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 02:54 PM - Post#284622    

Like the time he put 35 on Stephens at Yale

Selective analysis. True for every player particularly in college. He actually didn’t play that great mid feb on.

But he shredded penn and Princeton at home. Shredded them
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 02:56 PM - Post#284623    

LSU showed nothing other than he can go cold. Created shot well and played well other than the bricks he laid. But they were open. And he looked the party

Always been streaky.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-17-19 03:31 PM - Post#284624    

Not this year---he had a very nice game in the theft game of the prior year, though.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 04:56 PM - Post#284627    

Yale at penn.

21/8/5/2 blocks

And one dunk on the head of the big freshman. So he avged 28 that weekend. Then kind of tailed off. Actually didn’t play that well after that weekend at least not consistently.

Only better dunk he had all year was when he broke Cambridge’s will at brown. For good. At least in the ivy.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-17-19 05:39 PM - Post#284629    

He was OK--7 for 16 is not great shooting. But he was 1-8 at Penn and kind of gave up early.

He's a good player. I think he'll be a G-League guy.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 06:14 PM - Post#284634    

in line w his shooting percentage of the year. He was awesome.
What does lebron shoot?
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 06:21 PM - Post#284635    

If 21/8/5/2 is “ok” the Ivy League must be a church league to you.

In which case he will be in the 3rd league in Belgium where I played.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 06:29 PM - Post#284636    

Meanwhile Oni w back to back 3’s on espn 2. 14 at last count.

I have watched 2 blocks. Stock rising
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-17-19 06:29 PM - Post#284637    

Out of Belgium d III
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
05-29-19 09:40 AM - Post#284836    

Tonight would be the deadline for Oni to remove his name from the NBA Draft, if he is to return to Yale for his senior season.

I think the only other way he could return is if he is not picked and informs his AD by 5 pm the Monday after the draft.

On the 16th, Jeff Goodman tweeted that Oni told Jones that he would be staying in the draft. However, both told the YDN that Goodman was mistaken.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/05/16/mens- bas...

- “Yale’s Miye Oni told @Stadium that he informed coach James Jones that he will be staying in the NBA Draft,” wrote Goodman on Twitter.

But both Oni and Jones told the News that Goodman was mistaken. According to the two, the Bulldog wing has not yet made a final decision on his draft status. Oni told Jones earlier that his intention is to stay in the draft while currently retaining his eligibility. The two also saw each other at the combine Thursday afternoon according to Jones. -

As of this morning, Goodman and NBC Sports still have Oni listed as staying in the draft.

BTW, the day that Jeff Goodman tweeted that Oni told Jones he would be staying in the draft, Goodman later sent word that Oni parted ways with agent Harrison Gaines. He has hired Jason Glushon of Glushon Sports Management as his new agent.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Miye-Oni/Summ...

https://hoopshype.com/reps/jason-glushon/
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
05-29-19 10:22 AM - Post#284837    

• rbg Said:

BTW, the day that Jeff Goodman tweeted that Oni told Jones he would be staying in the draft, Goodman later sent word that Oni parted ways with agent Harrison Gaines. He has hired Jason Glushon of Glushon Sports Management as his new agent.

Just more anti-Penn bias. When will it end?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
05-29-19 10:25 AM - Post#284838    

On a Penn note, Harrison Gaines recently lost Lonzo and the Ball family as clients and only has 2 players as clients, both playing in China. Looks like he will have to start over, and Oni felt he needed someone with a higher profile.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
05-29-19 10:45 AM - Post#284844    

I have a feeling that Lonzo is a client you're better off without.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-29-19 02:56 PM - Post#284860    

I would be surprised if he pulled out based on what I have seen and heard. It’s disappointing that he hasn’t put a jolt in his draft stock upward.
But the issues are structural it seems. His age and level of competition. He is always at risk of a bad marquee game.
He has the size and athleticism to compete at any level of skill development continues. So at the end day at nearly 23 next year its a risk to stay if you are looking for the best chance at the best pro career you can have.
so my guess is he has done a good job of maximizing his perception now. I wasn’t at his workouts but from what I can hear and see. That makes his draft stock still tenuous but I don’t see it changing next year.
I hope I am wrong for yale’s sake but I hope for the best for him either way.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
05-29-19 04:01 PM - Post#284864    

He performed very well at the combine. He may have put an upward “jolt” in his draft stock. No team is going to say that though. If a team was impressed by him they are going to sit and wait and see if he is there. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go in the middle third of the 2nd round

james
Masters Student
Posts 789
05-29-19 04:37 PM - Post#284865    

he definitely played well.

Meanwhile Makai carved up his latest pro day. Baller alert!
Looks like 19 yr old legs again
Pantone291
Freshman
Posts 32
05-30-19 08:31 AM - Post#284877    

According to Yahoo Sports Oni is staying in the draft...

https://sports.yahoo.com/2019-nba-draft-early- entr...

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
06-18-19 12:57 PM - Post#285210    

Some recent mock drafts from the last few days:
ESPN - #51 Celtics
CBS Sports - #51 Celtics
SI - #53 Utah
The Ringer - #58 Golden State

Would be something if he ended up with the Celtics and assistant coach Jerome Allen.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
06-19-19 03:03 PM - Post#285240    

I always believed that Oni would stay in the draft but I am not sure if he will be drafted -- hope that he is selected.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2137
06-20-19 11:35 AM - Post#285252    

• bradley Said:
I always believed that Oni would stay in the draft but I am not sure if he will be drafted -- hope that he is selected.

Sam Vecenie in The Athletic has Oni going undrafted. ESPN has him going to Philly with the #54 pick.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
06-20-19 12:28 PM - Post#285255    

I thought I had read that an undrafted player can contact his AD by 5:00 pm the Monday after the draft and request to come back to the school.

Is that correct?
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
06-20-19 02:32 PM - Post#285261    

• rbg Said:
I thought I had read that an undrafted player can contact his AD by 5:00 pm the Monday after the draft and request to come back to the school.

Is that correct?

That was a proposed change that was never officially adopted.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/04/no -an-und...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
06-21-19 12:33 AM - Post#285268    

To GS at 58! Mazel Tov!

Enjoy the Bay Area for a few precious seconds...then time to head a bit further east.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
06-21-19 12:38 AM - Post#285269    

To the Jazz you mean—they traded the pick.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2691
06-21-19 01:23 AM - Post#285271    

Congrats to Oni, Yale, and the Ivy League.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
06-21-19 08:57 AM - Post#285280    

The Jazz traded the #23 pick to get Mike Conley from the Grizzlies and gave up Jae Crowder, Grayson Allen and Kyle Korver. They picked up three mid-majors in the late 2nd round - Charleston's Jarrell Brantley at #50, Hofstra's Justin Wright-Foreman at #53 and Oni at #58.

FYI - Jazz GM Justin Zanik was promoted from the assistant GM role in May. He started his career as an agent.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/06/21/jaz z-wind...

- Brantley was among the final six players to work out for the Jazz, as part of a group at Zions Bank Basketball Campus this past Saturday. Wright-Foreman also worked out for the Jazz, on May 26 — in the same group as draftees Dylan Windler, Carsen Edwards, KZ Okpala, and Ignas Brazdeikis. Oni did not come to Salt Lake City, but the team got a chance to interview him at the NBA Combine in Chicago. -

- Oni is a 6-6, 210-pound shooting guard who averaged 17.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 3.6 assists in his junior year at Yale. He was a back-to-back Ivy League Player of the Year. The Northridge, Calif., native shot 44.1% from the field and 37.1% from deep.

"What we really like is his defensive ability, even though he was in a main-scoring role at Yale,” Zanik said. “Open-shot-making, being able to contest and use his length, I think he can be a defender at first and open shot-maker as he develops, and then working with and without the ball.”

After the team sent out three bench players in the Conley deal, Brantley, Wright-Foreman, and Oni will attempt to be the first second-round picks selected by the Jazz to actually play for the team since Joel Bolomboy in 2016.

“With our roster — and again, we'll continue to be aggressive — it's open,” Zanik said. “There's a chance we open a lot of roster spots. What we tell our guys is ‘Come in, come compete, and we'll have a developmental path for you.’” -

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-jazz-a dd-scorin...

- What stood out about Miye Oni when you watched him and interviewed him at the NBA Combine?

“What we like is his defensive ability, even though he was a main scorer at Yale. His open shooting making, being able to contest shots and use his length. I think he can develop. A defender at first and an open shot maker as he develops.”

All three of these players come from smaller conferences. Does that matter?

“Whenever you move up a level, there’s always a transition. If you work hard and you have a skillset, you have a game that translates, we have a coaching staff that can develop you. … There’s a saying that if you play in college and you’re good enough, the NBA will find you. These guys were all known commodities. They’ve all had successful careers. It wasn’t something that they just came onto the radar. Maybe on a public level or media level. But from a scouting level, we’ve known about these guys for a while.”

All three of these players had multiple years of college experience. How important was that for you?

“It wasn’t that these guys had to play four years in college. It was more that their games became more mature, so we saw that each one of them had—while all needing developing in their transition to the NBA—these skillsets that we saw that could translate. Now, how much? How long? There’s a chance that we can have a lot of roster flexibility going forward and we will continue to be aggressive in free agency with that coming up. But these guys give us a chance to develop. Hopefully they’ll all play in summer league and be with our program going forward.”

How do you see these players fitting into the roster?

“With our roster—and we’ll continue to be aggressive—it’s open. There’s a chance that we open a lot of roster spots. What we tell our guys is come in, compete, and we’ll have a developmental path for you. That could be a number of ways. That could be on the roster, the G-League, two-way contracts. Any of those things are on the table. Let’s get you in here, let’s get our coaching staff around you, have a good summer and play and we’ll work with them to figure out the best development path.” -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
07-02-19 08:36 AM - Post#285507    

Oni played his 1st game in the Salt Lake City Summer League:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/07/02/tri ple-te...

- Miye Oni only took three shots all game, all 3-point shots. He ended up with two points from the free-throw line, but a very ugly -32 on the night in his 26 minutes on the floor. Given that no other Jazzman finished with more than a -13, that’s hard to do. Oni was more of a physical specimen in the Ivy League, but at this level, he looked smaller than his Grizzlies counterparts. Obviously, he’ll do better to find a way to impact the game in future summer league performances — it’s hard to get be less impactful — and I’ll be curious to see if he can find his NBA skill to hang a hat on. -
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
07-02-19 12:18 PM - Post#285511    

The game was on espn2.

I thought he played well. Was very active on defense. 2 bs, 2 steals, rebounded well and stayed in control. Jazz offense was a mess mostly bc they couldnt hit shots to space the floor. he had 1-2 open 3s depending on how you classified them. 1 was a scramble end of shot clock.

the =/- doesnt mean much to me in this game.

the most impt piece is he looked the part out there. The next challenge is developing an nba skill on offense. the defense was good.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
07-04-19 10:01 AM - Post#285588    

Oni did much better in his second game.

He had a team-high 17 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block.

He started out 4-4 with 3 three pointers and 11 points in the 1st quarter. He shot 5-12 for the game, including 4-8 from three.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900078243/thi r...

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/07/04/jaz z-rook...
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
07-08-19 11:05 AM - Post#285672    

Some highlights. https://www.nba.com/jazz/video/teams/jazz /2019/07/...
tkapiko
Freshman
Posts 28
07-08-19 01:14 PM - Post#285673    

Wow. He is representing the Ivy League well. I hope this opens NBA doors for other IL players in the coming years. What an adventure for Oni.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
07-09-19 12:31 AM - Post#285688    

Really interesting to me is that his 3 point shot looks MUCH a quicker in these clips than even we saw this year. Seems he worked to shorten his shot and get it off a lot quicker than he was able at Yale.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
07-11-19 10:08 AM - Post#285750    

thats a good point. its noticeably quicker.

his box score was bad but i thought he showed a lot last game. even ran the point a good deal and really spread the ball and saw the court. got torched a bit on defense but Simons is good and was en fuego.

tonight will be interesting. also find it surprising that they havent signed him to at least a 2 way deal based on what i have seen so far.

he needs to learn to finish in the paint at this level. i actually thought he struggled at yale at times against lesser competition when he wasnt putting the hammer down.

he tends to shoot on the way down particularly close to the rim. fine with you are bigger and jump higher therefore staying in the air longer than everyone. not fine when you dont.

he needs to watch Terance Mann (FSU, CLippers) highlights from college and summer league. Mann is not as long and about the same height w/o shoes. But he is a world class finisher around the rim or was in the ACC and now for the Clippers summer team. he does a great job of using his body to negate defender length.

tkapiko
Freshman
Posts 28
07-14-19 06:49 PM - Post#285872    

After all the highs and lows for Oni throughout the draft process, it seems he might end up in Jazz G-League. While it's great to be drafted, I am sure that was not his plans going in. Jazz seems to have signed a number of free agents. Has anyone heard about his status on the team? From previous draft classes, 58th picks typically end up in the G-League. A two-way contract seems like the best scenario for him at this point, especially since Jazz has two picks ahead of him in the draft (#50 and #53).

westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
07-15-19 04:31 PM - Post#285916    

The Jazz posted today that they have signed Oni to a contract, but no details were announced. Most likely, he will spend some time in the G-League, but I think that's about the best he could have expected.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-jazz-s ign-miye-...
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
07-15-19 04:37 PM - Post#285917    

Yes oni signs and not a 2 way deal! That’s big. He will spend time in g league I am sure but that’s significant. Will get the minimum which is a nice step up for at least one year.

Seminal moment for Ivy League also

Boola boola.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
07-15-19 04:43 PM - Post#285919    

Basically $840k to get better for a year and see if he can cut it.

he bet on himself and he won. can he learn the point (better ball handling) or develop another nba skill on offense? That’s what’ll matter from here

He had the best vision on the jazz in Vegas but as he notes he has to handle it better to get in the lane consistently off the pick and roll.
james
Masters Student
Posts 789
07-15-19 08:43 PM - Post#285924    

Actually $898k 1 yr guaranteed 3 yr deal at the minimum it appears.

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
09-12-19 04:55 PM - Post#287627    

Article on Oni from late August:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bendowsett/2019 /08/21...

westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
11-12-19 04:59 AM - Post#290655    

Miye Oni made his NBA debut last night in Utah's 122-108 win over Golden State. He played 2 minutes but did not record any stats.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
11-12-19 01:08 PM - Post#290685    

First Yalie to hit the NBA hardwood since Chris Dudley, right?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
11-12-19 02:11 PM - Post#290688    

You are correct.

On the management side, Joseph Tsai (undergrad '86 & Law '90) owns the Brooklyn Nets, Long Island Nets and the NY Liberty. Lisa Brummel (undergrad '81) and Virginia Gilder (undergrad '79) own the Seattle Storm.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
11-12-19 03:00 PM - Post#290690    

Tsai apparently is no more stable as a manager than was the Russian oligarch he replaced with the Nets

https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/david-levy -shockingl...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
11-12-19 03:22 PM - Post#290691    

That's tough. Imagine how long it would have taken for Tsai to fire Levy if he wasn't considered a friend.

I guess he could always move across town since the NYK may have some upper level job openings in the near future.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
08-07-20 01:13 PM - Post#311217    

https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/12917 796265244...

With 4 Jazz starters out with injury today, Miye Oni will make his first career NBA start against the Spurs in the NBA bubble
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
08-07-20 06:11 PM - Post#311235    

Oni more than held his own scoring 14 points and grabbing 7 rebounds (3 on offense) in 30 minutes of action today in Utah's 8 point loss to the Spurs. He spent a bit of the 4th quarter guarding Demar Derozan and did a pretty solid job on him
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
08-08-20 04:06 PM - Post#311291    

All of the Jazz starters are back today for their game against the Nuggets, but Oni is still getting some bench minutes today as the 4th guy off the bench for Utah

Seems like early reviews are positive for him:

https://twitter.com/Tjonesonthenba/status /12921882...

https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/12 921862199...
Bryan
Junior
Posts 231
05-24-21 08:58 AM - Post#324162    

Oni played 10 minutes for the Jazz yesterday in their playoff opening loss to the Grizzlies. He didn't score but was +5.He played slightly more than 500 minutes in their regular season games.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
07-06-21 04:03 PM - Post#325162    

https://twitter.com/NigeriaBasket/status/ 141249366...

Miye Oni was named to Nigeria's 15 man Olympic team roster. Nigeria is in Group B along with Italy, Australia, and Germany (who has Columbia alum Maodo Lo on the roster as well)
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
07-10-21 11:16 PM - Post#325265    

Oni played 11 minutes and hit 2 threes (2/4 for the game) in Nigeria's huge upset win over Team USA in their exhibition tonight. He hit both of this 3s in the 4th quarter as Nigeria shot 20/42 from deep for the game en route to the upset.

Nigeria brought 16 players to the exhibition, but will need to cut their roster to 12 in time for the Olympics. Very fun team that plays fast and shoots well from deep, and the NBC commentators mentioned they are a team that could make some noise in Tokyo
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
07-12-21 09:21 AM - Post#325272    

Somewhere Koko Archibong is smiling.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
07-12-21 08:13 PM - Post#325276    

Nigeria continued their impressive exhibition run in the lead up to Tokyo with a 94-71 victory tonight against 4th ranked Argentina. Oni played 11 minutes off the bench and scored 5 points to go along with 5 rebounds
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
07-13-21 11:04 AM - Post#325279    

Yeah, but Argentina was playing without Messi.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.05 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:16 PM