Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: Harvard Basketball Culture/Expectations
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
04-18-19 04:01 PM - Post#283773    

OCB:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be lamenting the inability of an Ivy men's basketball team to rise to the very highest ranks of the sport. Personally, I've accepted this limitation.

I think that any player who is good enough to start for a power 5 program but who elects to attend an Ivy is essentially saying that basketball is less important to him than the player who picks the P5 school. This is a kid who is thinking long-term, who has wide-ranging interests, and who wants to get a real education, so he is willing to put in the time and effort necessary to make that happen. D1 players at top conference scholarship programs devote 50-60 hours per week in total to their sport. There's no way to do that and also get a quality education, regardless of the putative quality of the institution (I'm talking to you, Duke). Ivy players put in 20-25 hours (as I understand it). That's the tradeoff. It's a bargain that I think is well worth making, but it's going to place a significant limit on what an Ivy team can accomplish in a given sport no matter how highly rated the recruited talent.

Print Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.922 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:34 PM