Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Red Storm Lead Columbia at Halftime 49-27
Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2163
11-20-19 09:31 PM - Post#291828    

St. John's leads Columbia 49-27 at halftime in another game where the Lions are struggling to remain competitive against a much more talented basketball team. Once again Mike Smith is doing his best to keep the score somewhat respectable, but he is not getting much help from anyone else. Hopefully, Coach Engles will take full advantage of Smith's capabilities in the second half and the rest of the Lion will settle down and play better
Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2163
11-20-19 09:36 PM - Post#291829    

Lions are getting killed by St. John's which is not unexpected given the talent gap between the players on the two teams. However, it is startling that Engles is not using any of the newcomers other than Jack Forest. This is the perfect opportunity to play the freshmen.
Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2163
11-20-19 10:02 PM - Post#291835    

Lions get crushed 82-63, but it could have much worse if the St. John's coach was not a charitable man. I'm happy to report that Coach Engles did substitute the freshman center from Florida in the final minutes of the game. He didn't score, but he looks like a very good athlete. Where are Turner and Shannon? Columbia women are up next tomorrow against West Point. Army defeated Air Force its last time out, but I am predicting a Columbia victory.
Chet Forte
Postdoc
Posts 2958
11-21-19 09:52 AM - Post#291875    

Smith was the best player on the court. I said that I would stop bemoaning the loss of Tape but have to believe that with Tape and Stef we could have played them pretty much even up and would have given Virginia a game. I am still waiting for Bibbs to start doing more offensively. I still think he can be a very good player if he can find his shot. And let’s be honest about the Johnnies- it is basically a semi-pro team, even more so than Virginia.

cc66
Postdoc
Posts 2201
11-21-19 11:02 AM - Post#291893    

With Tape and Steffanini, it would have been a competitive game. Without them, we looked as bad as we have all season + if there was a loose ball, it was sure to roll directly under the St. John basketball to be dunked for an easy layup.

Smoyer had a terrible game; Bibbs is athletic and plays hard, but can't shoot; and everyone else pretty much disappeared. We will be more competitive against IL teams, but boy, do we need someone beside Smith to hit a few shots.
Chet Forte
Postdoc
Posts 2958
11-21-19 11:41 AM - Post#291897    

Bibbs needs to start driving to the basket. Forest can shoot and probably should move in front of Jake, who is a good player but somebody who has probably gone as far as he can go. I think Smoyer is good for about 4 minutes a game..

Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2163
11-21-19 01:17 PM - Post#291907    

Agree with you about Bibbs, Kiilingsworth and Forrest. Disagree about Smoyer--forget last night-- I think he's capable of double digit minutes, scoring and rebounding once our coaching staff tweaks a few things--Bibbs also needs some coaching to reach his potential--In Bibbs' case he obviously needs to adjust both his shot and his Game--too many line drives from the top of the key--the missing ingredient in his arsenal is"Backspin." In my opinion, the starting five for now should be Smith, Nweke, Brumant, Ellis and Bibbs with Killingsworth and Smoyer coming off the bench as the Key6th and Key 7thmen. Forest and ALL the freshmen must see significant playing time immediately.
Chet Forte
Postdoc
Posts 2958
11-21-19 02:38 PM - Post#291915    

Speaking of line drives—remember the great Hayward Dotson; he shot line drives but somehow managed to make them. I always compared his jump shot to the perfect form of Jim McMillian’s soft rainbow jumpers from the corner in the pre-three point era. Of course, nothing can compare to my patented two hand set shots from anywhere inside 30 feet!

Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2163
11-21-19 05:23 PM - Post#291934    

Chet, do you consider yourself to have been a better than "Fat Freddie" Scolari, who was a great outside shooter in the pros, despite being deaf in one ear, blind in one eye and overweight? My take is that you and Freddie were the best outside shooters ever.
Tod Howard Hawks
Freshman
Posts 64
11-21-19 09:05 PM - Post#291958    

Especially without Tape and Steph, is it really necessary to post any comment about Columbia BB blowouts? I think not.

Chet Forte
Postdoc
Posts 2958
11-22-19 10:57 AM - Post#291992    

To Columbia 37P6: When I was sober? And not on probation? POY, over Wilt!! And Fat Freddie always called me Mr. Forte.

Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2163
11-22-19 04:54 PM - Post#292033    

Well deserved honor indeed as Wilt the Stilt couldn't match your exceptional backcourt talents. Are you planning on making a comeback any time soon? We could use your backcourt talents.
Chet Forte
Postdoc
Posts 2958
11-22-19 10:01 PM - Post#292044    

Waiting to see if Stef comes back for the IL season.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.24 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:33 PM