Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Ivy League Events & COVID-19
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-07-20 04:32 PM - Post#303423    

There were comments earlier on the Harvard Board about new rules regarding on-campus events. I posted updated information from the university and athletic department on that thread.

I am putting event policies here for all 8 schools. I figure its better to put these comments on the main league board instead of the individual schoos.

Feel free to comment or update as things change.

Brown (last update Friday March 6)
https://covid.brown.edu/

- Effective Monday, March 9, all in-person Brown events with 100 attendees or more, in venues both on and away from campus, must be postponed, cancelled or offered virtually. Academic courses are excluded from this restriction. -

Columbia (last update Sat. March 7 10:00 am)
https://www.columbia.edu/content/coronavirus
https://universitylife.columbia.edu/Events-and-COV...

- Events for students, faculty, and staff on the Morningside and Manhattanville campuses can continue as planned or be postponed at the discretion of the organizers. -

Cornell (last update Sat. March 7)
https://www.cornell.edu/coronavirus/

- Effective Monday, March 9, we are postponing or canceling large (more than 100 people), non-essential events or work-related gatherings scheduled through April 15. This includes events sponsored by the university, colleges, schools, departments or units, as well as student-sponsored events, where a significant number of participants are expected to travel to or from the region for the event. This policy does not include on-campus events where participation is primarily by Cornell audiences. -

Dartmouth (last update Sat. March 7 12:18 pm)
https://news.dartmouth.edu/covid-19/covid-19-cor on...
https://news.dartmouth.edu/covid-19/campus-opera ti...

- In accordance with guidance from the CDC and NHDHHS, Dartmouth is not prohibiting public events or activities at this time; however, event organizers should make appropriate decisions relative to their event in determining whether to cancel or proceed. We recommend that those who are holding events include timely reminders about maintaining good hygiene such as washing hands, avoiding handshakes, and reminding individuals with possible symptoms that they should remain at home. -

Harvard
https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus (last update Fri. March 6 or Sat. March 7)

- Travel policies and campus restrictions
Effective now through at least April 30:

We strongly discourage any non-essential meetings or events of 100 people or more. -

https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/event-inf ormat... (last update Fri. March 6 or Sat. March 7)

- If you are planning an event or meeting at Harvard, Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) offers the following guidance. Remember this is an evolving situation. Let your participants know that you might need to cancel at the last minute and that they should make contingency plans just in case.

We strongly discourage any non-essential large gatherings of 100 or more people. Organizers should postpone the meeting or event, or employ remote technology if possible (Zoom, Skype, etc.) to help avoid the spread of coronavirus. This meeting size is consistent with the guidance of our health care experts and professionals and with the policies of many peer institutions. -

https://www.gocrimson.com/general/2019-20/relea ses... (last update Sat. March 7 12:00 pm)

- Update as of 12 p.m. on Saturday, March 7 includes:

Facilities are open as scheduled and extra steps are being taken to disinfect public spaces.
Our home contests this weekend will continue as scheduled. Check back next week for updates on future home contests.
Please know that we continue to work with University officials frequently to review, update and communicate plans. This is an extremely fluid situation and all guidelines are subject to change as events change. -

Penn (last update - unsure; maybe Tuesday March 3)

- At this time individuals without any symptoms can continue to participate in campus events. The University, following guidance from the PDPH, CDC, and WHO, has not cancelled any activities or events due to the current novel coronavirus concerns. Some departments and student organizations may make the decision to postpone or cancel events, though this is not a University requirement at this time. -

Princeton (last update March 6)
https://emergency.princeton.edu/what-to-do/public-...
https://emergency.princeton.edu/coronavirus-faq-st...
https://emergency.princeton.edu/coronavirus-faq-vi...

- Is the University cancelling any events?

The University has not recommended that events be canceled. Health officials are not advising to cancel or curtail events at this time. If guidance from health officials changes, the University will reevaluate whether campus events need to be rescheduled or canceled. -

Yale (last update March 6)
https://communications.yale.edu/covid-19-informati...

There is no specific information about events. There is something about "Group Gatherings"

- If you are hosting a group gathering, please consider the following preventative measures and review CDC’s guidance on mass gatherings and large community events.

Please make sure attendees have easy access to sinks with soap, hand sanitizer, and tissues.
Remind attendees to follow precautions for their well-being and safety, which are listed in the section above.
If you are serving food or drinks, remind attendees to wash their hands before eating and drinking and to avoid sharing food and drinks. -
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-07-20 04:38 PM - Post#303425    

So the elephant in the room is next weekend. Thoughts?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-07-20 04:56 PM - Post#303428    

I guess it is the elephant in the room.

As much as I enjoy the Ivy Tournament, I do not feel it is an "essential" event. As such, it is not worth the risk of anyone getting sick.

Even if individuals going to the games feel that they are generally in good health, they may not be as healthy as they believe. Also, if that person gets ill, he/she could later pass it on and those people may not have as strong an immune system.

Yale has won the outright men's title and Princeton has won the outright women's title. As such, a league that gave its Automatic Bid to the regular season champion until 2016 should have no complaints from the other 14 teams.

If ESPN insists on the games being played, then they can play them without fans.

I know my view is overly cautious, but I feel if we have more uniform and strict rules at the beginning of this problem, the shorter it will last.

Looking at the 8 schools, there are somewhat different rules for each and then there are exceptions within individual schools. That just seems like a recipe for problems - hopefully, I am wrong.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-07-20 05:17 PM - Post#303435    

I disagree. We have to live our lives. There is no guarantee that unless you totally quarantine yourself that you won't be infected. Going to class, going to work, there is really no way to avoid infection. I say play it and I'm going. The fact that you feel this is divine retribution for playing a tournament really is irrelevant. If enough people agree, cancel it next year from the start. But the only issue is health, and I do not believe there is any greater risk in attending a game---especially where there are only about 1500 people intelligent enough to self quarantine if they are displaying signs of disease---than just going about your daily business. Indeed, it probably is less of a risk.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-07-20 06:00 PM - Post#303441    

I certainly understand your point of view.

I guess I am more skeptical than most about people, even those with high levels of education, properly performing self-quarantine.

Until we get more information from experts, which I believe will be a relatively short period off time, I am comfortable with individuals and organizations being more cautious.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-07-20 06:32 PM - Post#303454    

Palestra - I think Boston is a week or two ahead of Philly as far as this infection goes. We already have 13 confirmed cases and it is likely that we will have community transmission by next weekend. I am a member of the Harvard community and we are making plans for everybody in my organization to start working from home. Harvard has also banned all business travel, and is strongly discouraging us from taking personal trips. I also would not count on people self quarantining. At Dartmouth this week, a staff member who was told to self quarantine showed up at a party because he said that he felt OK, and has infected someone else.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-07-20 08:53 PM - Post#303517    

So, don’t book a hotel room yet? Sigh.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-07-20 09:21 PM - Post#303522    

Just posted in another thread but I don’t see them allowing fans for the games. We are looking at exponential growth. By next weekend the numbers will be even more stark than they currently are (not that we really know the true extent or intensity).

Many many colleges and universities will be shutting down in person activities between now and next weekend. You can book that instead of a hotel room.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-07-20 11:23 PM - Post#303547    

I booked, but can cancel 48 hours in advance. If it happens, I will be there. At age 62, after a terrible home slate of games, what is there else to do? Sit inside and watch reruns of Star Trek? Ok, I do that anyway. But I still don't see this as something requiring isolation of our entire society for a year.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-07-20 11:35 PM - Post#303551    

Mrs Nation has learned an awful lot this week as most of her days have been devoted to meetings and teleconferences from health experts about this subject.

It is absolutely true that the majority of those who test positive will not be severely affected. However, at minimum such individuals are nonetheless still at minimum carriers of the virus which might cause many others, including those more vulnerable to more severe effects, to catch it.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-07-20 11:44 PM - Post#303553    

There is zero guarantee that avoiding events such as the Ivy tournament will help in any way to avoid the virus. Eventually, you have to go outside. The virus is in the air, which is how it is transmitted. The only question is how deadly it is going to be. And if it is like in the movie Outbreak, we all are in trouble. If not, it's a bad flu, in which case the key is proper treatment.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-07-20 11:54 PM - Post#303555    

But the fact that there is at present no vaccine or any other treatment that can cure vulnerable individuals is a game changer. And way too few testing kits.

This is why it’s important to limit exposure. My understanding is that they are now going to test every member of the New Rochelle congregation. Have to try as much as possible to identify not just the source but the spread.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-07-20 11:57 PM - Post#303557    

• palestra38 Said:
The virus is in the air, which is how it is transmitted.

My understanding is transmission is mainly from physical human contact or from sneezes/coughs from that individual. Less of a chance of transmission from other more indirect sources.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-08-20 12:03 AM - Post#303560    

PN, there were 2 people from Westchester County who attended the AIPAC Conference and tested positive later in the week.

https://twitter.com/AIPAC/status/12353332 453839872...

https://twitter.com/AIPAC/status/12360564 637407354...

Do you know (and feel comfortable stating) if that group was from the same congregation as the original individual, who I believe has been released from the hospital?
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-08-20 12:06 AM - Post#303561    

This thing is not going to be played in front of fans. Since you guys up north are a few weeks ahead of us with this thing, how about moving it south a few hundred miles? We know Tommy is fine with it.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-08-20 12:15 AM - Post#303562    

It is possible that the AIPAC folks are connected to New Rochelle. I do know that the individual from Englewood NJ who tested positive who was at the CPAC conference had attended the New Rochelle synagogue on the dates in question and thus became infected.

Mrs Nation forwarded an email to me from the New Rochelle man’s wife tonight. He is still in critical condition but they are hopeful that he can recover.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2275
1LotteryPick1969
03-08-20 08:43 AM - Post#303583    

Aside from concerns about contagion, there is the quarantine problem.

If documented exposure must result in quarantine, entire businesses, schools, etc. can be shut down immediately.

If one documented infected person were to come into my medical office, my staff would be quarantined and the entire practice shut down.

The quarantine spreads faster than the disease itself.

So avoiding large public gatherings is more about avoiding quarantine.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-08-20 11:22 AM - Post#303614    

I wonder what the timeline is on a decision. I have to think we’ll know by tomorrow at the latest. I’m curious as to what a state of emergency would do.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-08-20 11:25 AM - Post#303615    

In itself, a State of Emergency does nothing. It just allows the executive to issue orders without legislative approval relating to the emergency.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-08-20 11:31 AM - Post#303618    

NY State has been in one since yesterday.

BTW, within the past couple of minutes Cuomo announced that the # of cases in NY State is now 105. And that is up from 89 which was announced last night.

Now up to 82 cases in Westchester. And just remember, at this time last week--nothing (other than the fact that this lawyer was in the hospital but they hadn't yet confirmed the virus).
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-08-20 11:47 AM - Post#303627    

I think the key now is that anyone who has a fever and a cough should not go to any public events and if it lingers for more than a day or two, call their doctor and arrange either for testing or quarantine.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-08-20 12:01 PM - Post#303630    

At Governor Cuomo's press conference, which just ended, he point blank said we should not listen to the federal government. He said to use common sense and that older Americans should NOT be travelling by plane or cruise ship.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-08-20 02:24 PM - Post#303658    

My guess is that we either find out later tonight or tomorrow, and that it’ll go on but with no fans.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-08-20 05:00 PM - Post#303671    

Updates:

Columbia (Sunday March 8th)
https://universitylife.columbia.edu/update-campus-...

- In an abundance of caution, the University has now updated our events policy to strongly discourage non-essential events of more than 25 people on all of our campuses in light of rapidly changing information about COVID-19. Presently, classes are continuing to meet. The University continues to monitor the situation closely and will update you if changes become necessary.

Campus fitness facilities will remain open for individual use, though group fitness classes will not take place, and there will be increased cleaning of equipment and locker rooms. -

Harvard (Sunday March 8th 3:00 pm)
https://www.gocrimson.com/general/2019-20/relea ses...
(items in bold are from me, not Harvard)

- Facilities are open as scheduled and extra steps are being taken to disinfect public spaces.
Our home contests this weekend will continue as scheduled. Check back next week for updates on future home contests.
The ECAC Hockey men's quarterfinal best-of-three series between RPI and Harvard, scheduled for March 13, 14 and 15 (if necessary) at RPI, will be conducted without spectators.
The following road events have been canceled
Men's and Women's Crew Spring Training Trip to Florida
Men's and Women's Golf Spring Training Trip to Florida
Softball vs. BU in Fullerton, Calif. (March 13), vs. Cal Baptist in Fullerton, Calif. (March 13), vs. Long Beach State in Fullerton, Calif. (March 14), at Cal State Fullerton (March 14), vs. Sacramento State in Fullerton, Calif. (March 15), vs. North Dakota State in Los Angeles, Calif. (March 17) and at LMU (March 17)
Men's Tennis at San Diego State (March 16), at San Diego (March 19), vs. Texas at San Diego (March 20), at Pepperdine (March 22)
Women's Tennis at Sacremento State (March 17), at Saint Mary's (March 18), at Pacific (March 19), at Stanford (March 22)
Men's Volleyball at USC (March 14), at Pepperdine (March 15) and at Concoridia (March 16)
Women's Water Polo vs. CSUN at Aztec Invite (March 14), vs. UC San Diesgo at Aztec Invite (March 14), vs. Hawaii at Aztec Invite (March 15), vs. Long Beach State at Aztec Invite (March 15), Whittier at Pomona-Pitzer (March 17), at Pomona-Pitzer (March 17)-

Yale (Saturday March 7th)
https://communications.yale.edu/covid-19-informati...

- There are no cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at Yale University, but individuals who work in Connecticut, and live elsewhere, have tested positive for the virus. Your individual risk of contracting the virus remains low. As a preventative measure, the university is asking students, faculty, and staff to postpone, cancel, or adjust all Yale-hosted events, other than classes, that will have 100 or more participants. All regularly scheduled university courses and dining operations will continue as planned. This recommendation applies to events taking place between March 9, 2020, and April 15, 2020. -

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-08-20 05:18 PM - Post#303673    

While Harvard appears to have canceled the events in Florida and California, the decision on hockey came from RPI and the ECAC.

https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2019-20/News/2020 03...

- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) and ECAC Hockey announced today that the upcoming ECAC Hockey men’s quarterfinals series March 13-15 at Houston Field House in Troy, N.Y. will be conducted without spectators.

The announcement is a result of RPI’s enactment of social-distancing protocols to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus disease, COVID-19 within its community. -

Here is RPI's update from Saturday
https://info.rpi.edu/coronavirus/communica tions#So...

- From: Richie Hunter, Vice President for Strategic Communications and External Relations

Following the confirmation of two cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Capital Region, we immediately enacted social distancing protocols to prevent the spread of the virus within our community.

There are no confirmed or suspected cases on campus at this time. In an abundance of caution, the following social distancing protocols were implemented:

All public events with 50 or more attendees that include participation of outside individuals are cancelled.
All internal seminars with external speakers will be considered on a case-by-case basis with input from an occupational physician and/or the Student Health Center.
All Rensselaer community members are asked not to attend large external events in the local area.
These protocols will remain in place until they are rescinded by the Institute. All classes will continue on a normal schedule. -
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
03-08-20 07:18 PM - Post#303686    

I have COVID-19 over Yale in my brackets.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-08-20 07:31 PM - Post#303689    

It just got very personal for me. Mrs Nation told me in confidence of a student we know (in our own community, who also goes to our synagogue) who just tested positive.

Her mother texted my wife (she's a teacher in the school where my wife is a principal).

Lots of other tests in process throughout the community with results expected back Monday. Then the numbers will probably spike even higher.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-08-20 08:22 PM - Post#303692    

Our congregation has now made this information public without naming the individual. It is now cancelling all services and activities immediately.

Awaiting further instructions from the Westchester Department of Health, but as this individual was at Sabbath services on February 29th (I remember seeing this individual), it is likely that a substantial number of us not already under quarantine soon will be.

• penn nation Said:
It just got very personal for me. Mrs Nation told me in confidence of a student we know (in our own community, who also goes to our synagogue) who just tested positive.

Her mother texted my wife (she's a teacher in the school where my wife is a principal).

Lots of other tests in process throughout the community with results expected back Monday. Then the numbers will probably spike even higher.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-08-20 08:27 PM - Post#303694    

Just got my Tournament Tix for Saturday by email
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1347
sparman
03-08-20 08:48 PM - Post#303695    

Minister at my church just tested positive, he held services for 500 the previous weekend (fortunately we did not attend, but our daughter may have).

Hope things work out OK for you.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-08-20 09:03 PM - Post#303699    

Thanks.

Scarsdale public schools just announced they are closing for the next week+. The whole region will soon be braking to a halt--I give it no more than a week's time.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2139
03-08-20 11:14 PM - Post#303703    

Hope for the best possible outcome for those of you who have community members who have been exposed to the virus.
digamma
Masters Student
Posts 468
03-09-20 09:54 AM - Post#303723    

Princeton just put out a notice encouraging students not to return from spring break until April 5.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-09-20 10:02 AM - Post#303726    

And Columbia is closed today and Tuesday, after which time it will be on-line only.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-09-20 10:10 AM - Post#303730    

So ... how can classes be canceled but sporting events not?
mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 402
03-09-20 10:34 AM - Post#303734    

I'll be shocked if the Ivy tourney isn't canceled for fans. I think the NBA is about to lead the way on this. Adam Silver has been signaling pretty strongly that they're about to stop fans from attending games, and once they do, it'll be impossible for colleges to justify not doing the same. Seems like it's all going to snowball in the next few days.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-09-20 11:56 AM - Post#303750    

Updates from Columbia and Princeton

Columbia
https://preparedness.columbia.edu/news/update-covi...

- I am writing this evening to notify everyone that, because a member of our community has been quarantined as a result of exposure to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have decided to suspend classes on Monday and Tuesday. This suspension of activities will allow us to prepare to shift to remote classes for the remainder of the week. I want to emphasize that the individual who has been quarantined has not been diagnosed at this point with the virus.

Please understand that the decision to suspend classes does not mean that the University is shutting down. All non-classroom activities, including research, will continue in accordance with the new travel and events restrictions announced recently. At this point, just to restate what is important to know, we do not have a confirmed case of the virus on campus. This action is intended to prevent the virus from spreading.

This message will soon be followed by more specific information from deans and other University leaders, including plans for remote instruction beginning Wednesday and continuing until the start of Spring Break on Friday. -

Princeton
https://emergency.princeton.edu/what-to-do/public-...

- While much remains unknown about COVID-19’s epidemiology and impact, our medical advisers tell us that we should proceed on the assumption that the virus will spread more broadly and eventually reach our campus. They also tell us that the best time to put in place policies to slow the spread of the virus is now, before we begin to see cases on our campus, rather than later. Acting now will also give students who wish to do so the option to stay home after Spring Break and meet academic requirements remotely.

In order to help mitigate the growing risk of transmission, we will begin instituting a series of policies and practices this week based on the concept of social distancing. Our goal is to decrease the number of instances that require community members to gather in large groups or spend extended periods of time in close proximity with each other. To achieve this goal, we will virtualize any activities, such as lectures, seminars, and precepts, that can be put online. We will continue to support, where possible and subject to appropriate restrictions, research, educational, and campus life activities that require physical presence. These measures are being taken to help ensure the health and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff, and to decrease any potential impacts on the larger community.

Though we recognize that a personal, “high touch” educational environment is one of Princeton’s great strengths, we also recognize that these are extraordinary times that require exceptional measures to deal with a health risk that affects us all. For that reason, we are creating, supporting, and mandating alternative ways of meeting our academic and other programmatic requirements in ways consistent with social distancing. This will include a mandatory, temporary move for all lectures, seminars, and precepts to virtual instruction starting on Monday, March 23. We encourage students to consider staying home after Spring Break. If students choose to remain home after Spring Break, we will make sure that they are able to meet their academic requirements remotely.

To protect the health of our community, we will also need to limit the number and size of campus gatherings and meetings, and restrict University-sponsored travel. Detailed guidance will be available on the University’s website later today. Faculty will receive information later this morning about support for virtual instruction, and we will be sharing guidance throughout the week with staff about how these new policies will impact daily operations. -
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-09-20 02:02 PM - Post#303788    

I'm surprised that we still don't have word. There must be some pretty lively discussions occurring on the matter.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-09-20 03:59 PM - Post#303827    

There are.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-09-20 04:10 PM - Post#303832    

• Quakers03 Said:
I'm surprised that we still don't have word.

They must be in quarantine somewhere.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-09-20 04:28 PM - Post#303837    

Princeton has provided updates on its policies
https://www.princeton.edu/content/covid-19-coro nav...

- Certain events, such as athletic contests and performances, may be modified to decrease the need for a crowd or audience. Details on these modifications are under development and will be shared once finalized. -
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-09-20 05:46 PM - Post#303846    

What happens if one of the team members of the ILT gets exposed this week? That entire team goes into quarantine? Then maybe all anti-ILT folks will get their wish and they'll cancel the whole thing and send Yale (and Princeton for the W)
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-09-20 06:05 PM - Post#303848    

• Old Bear Said:

Didn't Covid '19 graduate last year?

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-09-20 06:09 PM - Post#303849    

• TheLine Said:
  • Old Bear Said:

International grad transfer.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2139
03-09-20 06:26 PM - Post#303852    

• penn nation Said:
  • TheLine Said:
  • Old Bear Said:

International grad transfer.

Don't international transfers have to sit out a full year?
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-09-20 10:27 PM - Post#303864    

I’m getting awfully tired of refreshing this thread and searching Twitter...A decision has to come soon.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-09-20 10:37 PM - Post#303867    

Considering that my hotel has to be cancelled by tomorrow night or it becomes non-refundable, I would be supremely annoyed if they cancelled after that.

I think it's going to be played.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-09-20 10:48 PM - Post#303869    

Watching USF vs Gonzaga, with fans in attendance, and West Coast is ahead of East Coast in infections.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-09-20 10:51 PM - Post#303870    

Yeah, but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Excellent game to boot. Saw an earlier matchup between these two teams this year—Dons play them very tough.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 07:32 AM - Post#303873    

• palestra38 Said:
Considering that my hotel has to be cancelled by tomorrow night or it becomes non-refundable, I would be supremely annoyed if they cancelled after that.

I think it's going to be played.

It will be played with no fans. Covid19 cases are growing in the Boston area. Several public schools have been shut down. The St Patrick’s day parade has been cancelled. The ecac hockey tournament has gone no fans. Many large Cambridge companies have gone work from this week. If I were you I would cancel my reservation. If for some chance it’s on, you will have no problem finding a hotel room this weekend.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-10-20 07:48 AM - Post#303874    

• Big R&B Truth Said:
If I were you I would cancel my reservation. If for some chance it’s on, you will have no problem finding a hotel room this weekend.

Bingo.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 07:57 AM - Post#303875    

Yes, that is what I will do. However, it may be that the Ivies saved the Tournament by playing it in the smallest possible venue.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-10-20 08:09 AM - Post#303876    

Below is the most recent info on the Boston Public Health Commission website.

Big R&B Truth may have additional information to add.

https://bphc.org/onlinenewsroom/Blog/L ists/Posts/P...

Boston Public Health Commission Home
HOME > ONLINE NEWSROOM > BLOG
BLOG
The Latest: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Monday, March 09, 2020
BOSTON CASE NUMBERS:

Confirmed: 1

Presumptive Positive: 8

OVERVIEW:

The Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 (formerly referred to as 2019 Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV) is a new respiratory virus that was first identified in Wuhan, China in December of 2019.

As of March 9, 2020, there has been one confirmed case of COVID-19 in a Boston resident and 8 presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Boston residents. The presumptive positive cases did not require hospitalization and are self-isolating at home. The CDC is currently testing to confirm these eight cases.

There is no evidence of community transmission in Boston right now. The risk remains low, but this situation is evolving rapidly and changes day to day.

The state of Massachusetts is updating information about COVID-19 cases and residents subject to quarantine in Massachusetts. Visit the MDPH webpage on COVID-19 quarantine and monitoring in the Commonwealth. The CDC is tracking confirmed cases across the United States. For the latest on case counts, visit the CDC's website on COVID-19.

Since January, the Boston Public Health Commission and Boston EMS have taken extensive steps to prepare for a potential outbreak of COVID-19.

BPHC and Boston EMS are trained to respond to infectious diseases. In the past, we have successfully stood up heightened awareness, monitoring and response approaches for SARS, MERS, and H1N1 flu. We will do the same for COVID-19.

BPHC is engaging in daily communications with the CDC, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH), City of Boston departments and other community partners to make sure we have the latest information on guidance, best practices and recommendations. BPHC will provide updated information on this website and on our social media channels as it becomes available.

We are confident the City of Boston will be ready for a safe and effective response as the situation develops.

Timeline of Boston cases and announcements:

On February 1, 2020, the City of Boston announced its first confirmed case of COVID-19. A male in his 20s returning from Wuhan, China. He did not require hospitalization and is recovering and self-isolating at home.

On Friday, March, 6, 2020, BPHC and the Massachusetts Department of Public health announced three presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Boston residents. Two females and a male, all in their 40s, did not require hospitalization and are recovering and self-isolating at home.

On Sunday, March 8, 2020, BPHC announced five new presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Boston residents. These cases include one woman in her 30s, one woman in her 60s, one man in his 40s, one man in his 50s and one man in his 60s. They did not require hospitalization and are self-isolating at home. All five cases had a direct connection to the Biogen employee conference at the end of February.

Out of an abundance of caution, the St. Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston on Sunday, March 15, 2020 has been canceled. You can read the Mayor's statement online.

dtannenwald
Freshman
Posts 14
03-10-20 08:55 AM - Post#303877    

Harvard just asked that students not return from spring break and will be switching to online classes on 3/23 (first day after spring break). Not sure if/how this affects the tournament:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/3/11/har va...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 09:14 AM - Post#303881    

• palestra38 Said:
Yes, that is what I will do. However, it may be that the Ivies saved the Tournament by playing it in the smallest possible venue.

I don't see any difference. It is still a relatively large gathering of folks into a relatively small area.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-10-20 09:16 AM - Post#303882    

Over the last few days, a number of schools have decided to do remote/online classes. Others have notified their students to take extra belongings with them during spring break since they may make the decision while the students are away.

With things the way they are in the Seattle area, it is understandable that UW went this route.

Many of these schools noted there is no confirmed or presumptive cases on their campus, but are doing it in an abundance of caution.

Amherst had a different note than some of the other schools:
https://www.amherst.edu/news/covid-19/message s-for...

- We know that many people will travel widely during spring break, no matter how hard we try to discourage it. The risk of having hundreds of people return from their travels to the campus is too great. The best time to act in ways that slow the spread of the virus is now. -

If schools are not able to keep their students on campus. then more schools may be doing this.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 09:45 AM - Post#303885    

I understand your feeling---you are in ground zero of a contagion patch. But the vast majority of people are not. I don't know where you can draw the line and determine that the threat is over, not that we have any real idea what the true threat of serious illness is. We need some common sense. I am not at all sure that anything will stop the spread of the virus--we're not closing bars and restaurants, where the risk is much greater due to food and drink preparation. If the real threat is from contaminated surfaces, as it appears to be, and people are smart about not going in public if they have symptoms of this disease, prohibiting public events is overkill. Either we close everything or leave it up to the individual. Because it's here---our chance to stop it at the borders was blown sky high.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 09:50 AM - Post#303886    

The threat is not just from contaminated surfaces, although even there frequent cleaning can mitigate. It is from physical contact (i.e., hand shaking) as well as if someone sweats/sneezes/coughs near you.

It's just common sense not to have large groupings of folks, since adherence to the rules above becomes more and more challenging the more folks there are in close proximity within a given area.

• palestra38 Said:
I understand your feeling---you are in ground zero of a contagion patch. But the vast majority of people are not. I don't know where you can draw the line and determine that the threat is over, not that we have any real idea what the true threat of serious illness is. We need some common sense. I am not at all sure that anything will stop the spread of the virus--we're not closing bars and restaurants, where the risk is much greater due to food and drink preparation. If the real threat is from contaminated surfaces, as it appears to be, and people are smart about not going in public if they have symptoms of this disease, prohibiting public events is overkill. Either we close everything or leave it up to the individual. Because it's here---our chance to stop it at the borders was blown sky high.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 09:55 AM - Post#303887    

I agree that it is passed by personal contact---the kind of thing that happens in meetings and conventions, but much less in a 2 hour sporting event. Here is a very good description of transmission:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda /2020/03/...

Unlike the Flu, this does not appear to be passed easily prior to symptoms showing nor is sneezing a common symptom. So either you get it from contaminated surfaces or if someone showing the disease coughs in your face, shakes your hand or kisses you. All pretty unlikely at a sports event. I'd be far warier of flying on an airplane with recycled air and less than perfect sanitizing than at a ballgame.

But do you suggest an Italy-style shutdown over what we have so far? Because that is what it sounds like.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-10-20 10:02 AM - Post#303888    

There is a lot of misleading facts about this virus. We do know the following:

120k worlwide cases, 4k deaths, over 65k recovered

500 cases in US.

10 years ago the Swine Flu (H1N1) killed 12,500 americans, had over 270,000 hospitalizations and 60 million cases, all in the US alone. The spike in cases has been dramatic for Covi 19 and it MAY end up exceeding the H1N1 virus, but those are big numbers from a virus that few people even remember.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 10:06 AM - Post#303889    

The article you linked says:

• Quote:

“the main mode of transmission is respiratory droplets” that can be produced by speaking and coughing

So it very specifically doesn’t take someone coughing in your face for transmission.

No mention of someone 6 inches from you screaming at a referee, though.

There’s a reason epidemiologists are recommending social distancing to flatten the curve on the spread of infections.

Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 10:08 AM - Post#303890    

Harvard just announced it is going virtual. It has asked all of the students not to return from Spring Break.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 10:13 AM - Post#303891    

Yes, we didn't shut down for that, which was far more contagious (or so it seems) than Coronavirus as it was transmitted primarily by airborne droplets, sneezing was a common symptom and people were contagious before obvious illness such as fever set in. It also killed young people in about the same manner as older people.

That took over a year to die down. And while a vaccine was developed, it was of questionable reliability, nor did anti-virals work particularly well. It was primarily people developing resistance to the strain.

With a far less communicable virus, we are reacting very differently. And that is due to the absence of leadership at the top. There is no truth being dispensed---only worthless statements to have no fear, while people are growing more and more fearful.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 10:16 AM - Post#303892    

...once they are showing symptoms of the disease. And primary contagion happens in the home.

Very different from the flu, which is most communicable before obvious symptoms are displayed.

But assuming that people speaking and coughing can be a method of transmissions, would you shut down restaurants where people are placed within a couple of feet of the next table?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 10:17 AM - Post#303893    

We're really just getting started in the US because our federal government has made it very challenging to be able to test folks. Trump's more concerned about keeping the numbers low than he is about actually tracking the virus and measuring its impact.

The numbers in this country and in most countries around the world will skyrocket over the next few weeks. Globalization's impact is very real here.

• PennFan10 Said:
There is a lot of misleading facts about this virus. We do know the following:

120k worlwide cases, 4k deaths, over 65k recovered

500 cases in US.

10 years ago the Swine Flu (H1N1) killed 12,500 americans, had over 270,000 hospitalizations and 60 million cases, all in the US alone. The spike in cases has been dramatic for Covi 19 and it MAY end up exceeding the H1N1 virus, but those are big numbers from a virus that few people even remember.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 10:31 AM - Post#303895    

True, that.

We have to go on hypothesis to a degree. We're hampered by a lack of preparedness or reliable information due to reasons which are verboten to discuss here.

We know older people are at far higher risk than younger ones (who seem largely immune), we don't know enough about transmission because it's highly likely batches of infected people show little to no symptoms. This makes attending the Ivy tournament a potential petri dish of fun because the average age of attendees is rather high (besides the players and maybe the bands, actual college students don't attend these things in numbers). Lots of older folk packed closely and expectorating all over each other when their team does something worth cheering about.

Will attending the tourney put you at risk? I don't think anyone knows. It's wise to avoid if you have any underlying medical condition.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 10:38 AM - Post#303897    

The key then is to be in the last row. Which I am not---but I am in the seatbacks, so I do have some extra room and am above most of the coughers
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 10:50 AM - Post#303899    

Cancel Everything

As this notes, comparisons to the flu are horribly misplaced. The death rates so far in every locale have been much, much higher.

Avoiding restaurants, subway cars, and tiny Ivy League gyms for the next couple of weeks may be the only way to prevent the exponential spread that has overwhelmed the healthcare system in Italy and led to that country now enforcing extreme measures.

Especially since our country has #%$@ up so badly on the testing front.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 10:58 AM - Post#303900    

The comparison was to the Swine Flu and Spanish Flu, not seasonal flu.

But yes, either we cancel everything, or test and engage in massive public education to get people likely to have been exposed out of the public. We are doing neither right now.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-10-20 11:06 AM - Post#303901    

Cancel the dam% Tournament. Send Yale, sole Ivy Champ, to the NCAA. Take the court wearing gas masks to commemorate the genius Florida congressman who joked about this “hoax”.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 11:10 AM - Post#303903    

That will never happen. The game is on ESPNU. They may play it in an empty gym, but the show must go on.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-10-20 11:14 AM - Post#303905    

• Tiger69 Said:
Cancel the dam% Tournament. Send Yale, sole Ivy Champ, to the NCAA.

If we're going to cancel the tournament for safety reasons, why on earth would you send Yale (or anyone) to the NCAA the following week?

Do you really expect everything to be back to normal by then?

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 11:18 AM - Post#303906    

The seasonal flu IS the Spanish flu. AND the Swine flu. They’re all related strains of Influenza A, descendants of the 1918 virus.

mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-10-20 11:21 AM - Post#303907    

Just announced. Cancelled. Yale will go.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 11:21 AM - Post#303908    

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 237397591...

Welp, I was skeptical, but Jon Rothstein is reporting the tournament has been cancelled and Yale will proceed to the NCAA Tournament. Presume the same will apply to the women's side. Interesting to think about what the solution would've been if Harvard had not lost to Brown on Friday and we had ended up with a tie for 1st
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-10-20 11:23 AM - Post#303909    

• welcometothejungle Said:
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 237397591...

Welp, I was skeptical, but Jon Rothstein is reporting the tournament has been cancelled and Yale will proceed to the NCAA Tournament

I'm not seeing the logic. Either it's safe to play, or its not.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-10-20 11:23 AM - Post#303910    

I expect games to go on, but without fans.

In the oft chance that fans are in attendance, those aged, infirm, or south or west of Providence should not attend!
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 11:24 AM - Post#303911    

And this is closely related to a cold virus. But the thing that distinguishes Spanish and H1N1 from seasonal (normal yearly) flu and this from the common cold is the mutation of the virus to which our immune systems cannot quickly respond.

So you would close down the entire country? For how long? And how would you engage in food delivery and patient care without spreading the virus that way?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 11:25 AM - Post#303912    

There have been no cases in Philadelphia. There have been cases in Boston.

They should play the games at the Palestra. (still waiting for the official announcemnt, but indeed it looks like they will kill the tournament)
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-10-20 11:26 AM - Post#303913    

Looking at these posts, it would seem the league should either

1 - Cancel the 2 tournaments and let the regular season champs take the automatic bids
2 - Have the 2 tournaments go forward without fans
3 - Have the 2 tournaments go forward with a limited number of fans (easier for the women's side, which has a large number of all-session passes and empty seats for Friday's semis), along with increased public awareness
4 - Have the 2 tournaments go forward with regular level of fans, along with increased staffing and public awareness

With flight plans for some, hotel reservation cancellations due for many and the first games about 75 hours away, the league needs to make decision and communicate it as soon as possible.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 11:28 AM - Post#303914    

It's Official:

https://ivyleague.com/index.aspx
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 11:28 AM - Post#303915    

We are at 750 cases and counting fast. No matter how I model it, I get to a crest of 30-50K confirmed cases before this is over, with a sub 1% death rate. On one hand, it pales before other types of flu historically, OTOH - we have no immunity, no treatments, and limited access to health care for many people. The private sector and local govt. are taking things into their own hands absent any competent response from the Federal Govt. This is taking many forms, but will result in far more economic damage in the short term that fiscal intervention can mitigate when you consider the secondary and tertiary impacts of cancellations, quarantines, travel restrictions, school closings, etc.

Book your Capitol tour with Louie Gohmert while you still can!
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 11:31 AM - Post#303916    

So will Yale cut down the net this morning?
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 11:33 AM - Post#303917    

as you point out, they will play this weekend... crowd or not.
Naismith
Sophomore
Posts 149
03-10-20 11:33 AM - Post#303918    

It is so tempting to beat up as usual on the ill-advised tournament debacle. Not right time however with such a serious national challenge facing us.

Still playing in an empty gym is insane. Maybe such a spectacle on Harvard campus as well as many others will make at-least all these 1-bid leagues reassess why they do it anyway. Is 2 hours on ESPN worth all this?

Might be worth at least a compromise where Ivy (as well as other leagues) men and women's teams host 2 days on home court of regular season champion--or tie-breaker team. #2 and #3 play one day, the winner plays the top seed on ESPN for the trip to the Dance.

APPARENTLY i WAS TYPING THIS ABOVE WHILE THE NEWS BROKE.

Courageous and correct decision. Plenty of time to revisit the tournament's future; Really hoping they do.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 11:35 AM - Post#303919    

No, they are not playing at all--Yale goes.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/3/10/genera l-ivy-l...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 11:35 AM - Post#303920    

• Streamers Said:

Au contraire. Games are cancelled.

Joke's on Harvard. If only they had beaten Brown on Friday night, they'd be the auto qualifier instead of Yale. Plus they miss out on hosting an actual IL tourney.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 11:40 AM - Post#303922    

I have no effing words. I'm done with this league.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 11:42 AM - Post#303923    

So does the planned tournament rotation get blown up, and Harvard hosts next year?

Naismith
Sophomore
Posts 149
03-10-20 11:43 AM - Post#303924    

If there actually is an NIT (which I doubt), Harvard deserves a bid.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 11:45 AM - Post#303925    

• Chip Bayers Said:
So does the planned tournament rotation get blown up, and Harvard hosts next year?

Does it really matter? Just move us to d3 already. They don't care about sports competition in this league.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 11:52 AM - Post#303929    

• Streamers Said:

I'm genuinely surprised... and a bit disappointed as a Penn fan, but hard to argue with this.

I wonder how many other leagues will defy ESPN on this?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 11:54 AM - Post#303931    

But the rest of the announcement is puzzling. It's still allowing other sports competitions/playoffs to proceed, even as in some cases it would be restricting/limiting spectator access.

So why the different set of rules for basketball? Why not allow them to play at all, even in an empty gym if need be?

The inconsistency here is pretty noticeable.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 11:57 AM - Post#303934    

https://twitter.com/princetonian/status/1 237405486...

The Daily Princetonian is now reporting that 2 University staff members are now under self quarantine as a result of possible COVID-19 exposure at an off campus event
84grad
Junior
Posts 277
03-10-20 11:59 AM - Post#303935    

It'll be really interesting to see how many other leagues cancel their tournaments. Can't believe they aren't at least giving the teams a chance to play with no crowd.

As a Harvard fan, I think Yale deserves the bid anyway because the tournament is a complete abomination. I guess Justice and the inane Ivy powers that be are blind.
QHoops
Senior
Posts 369
03-10-20 12:00 PM - Post#303938    

We can debate if playing without fans was a better course, but my strongest feeling is disappointment for AJ.

I was looking forward to the possibility of him putting together 2 monster games to get back to the NCAA's.

May or may not have happened, but would have been fun to see them compete.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-10-20 12:10 PM - Post#303948    

True, but AJs last Ivy game ended up being really fantastic and a great memory for those of us watching or attending.

Very tough for Harvard. If they had beaten Brown or Penn didn't give up the 10 point lead to Yale in the last 90 seconds, they would've been the #1 seed. Without a chance to win the Tournament on their home court, the highly regarded Class of 2020 will never get a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament.

I do think the league made the right choice and they deserve credit for being the 1st to make this difficult no-win decision.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-10-20 12:11 PM - Post#303950    

Feel similar as a Harvard fan. League officials must have been shocked when Harvard blew out Yale on Saturday without Juzang or Kirkwood. I blame everything on Penn's ability to break the press at Yale.

What would have happened if Harvard and Yale tied? Would we have seen a single game at Lavietes with no fans (Harvard would have been the #1 seed)?

It's going to be strange watching Pitt play Wake Forest this afternoon in the ACC tournament with our Pitt son, all while canceling our weekend plans with our Harvard son.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
03-10-20 12:24 PM - Post#303957    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
I blame everything on Penn's inability to break the press at Yale.

I dislike Harvard as much as the next guy, but—trust me—this wasn't the plan.
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-10-20 12:29 PM - Post#303958    

Courageous and correct decision.

Which is much easier for me to say after Brown lost the tie breaker.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

digamma
Masters Student
Posts 468
03-10-20 12:30 PM - Post#303959    

Completely deflated as a Harvard fan, but also wondering why the Ivy League hates the Yale men and Princeton women so much that it would put them at risk the following weekend if it is too dangerous to play this weekend.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 12:41 PM - Post#303960    

• digamma Said:
Completely deflated as a Harvard fan, but also wondering why the Ivy League hates the Yale men and Princeton women so much that it would put them at risk the following weekend if it is too dangerous to play this weekend.

Right--this, plus allowing other athletic events to proceed even while it's cancelling this specific one.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 12:41 PM - Post#303961    

• digamma Said:

That is what makes this absolutely baffling and un-courageous.

Stupid decision, even by the Ivy League's low bar of decision making.

mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 402
03-10-20 12:46 PM - Post#303963    

• digamma Said:
Wondering why the Ivy League hates the Yale men and Princeton women so much that it would put them at risk the following weekend if it is too dangerous to play this weekend.

Exactly this. If it's too dangerous for Yale to play the Ivy tourney in an empty gym, why is it okay for them to play the NCAA tourney in what will presumably also be an empty gym?

I'd been assuming that they weren't going to allow spectators at any of these conference tournaments, not just the Ivies, which is the right choice. I hadn't considered that they might just cancel them entirely. Playing in an empty gym seems like it should be good enough.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-10-20 12:47 PM - Post#303964    

So, Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Cornell men all play 2 or 3 game series in the ECAC hockey tournament this weekend. Cornell hosts its series while Harvard will be playing without spectators at RPI. Wonder if the basketball squads, bands, and students are now able to join the crowds at those games?

Look, the Ivy League could very well be a leader and correct in banning spectators. But by not even playing the games the League has effectively conceded that this Tournament is an unnecessary endeavor not worth holding if you can’t receive ticket revenues. I’ve always been an opponent of the tournament, and now even more so. Apparently, the league transparently knows that we’re correct.

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 01:00 PM - Post#303966    

I think the problem with playing in an empty gym as the solution is there's still so many points of contact for a team traveling. A traveling team interacts with the bus driver, the restaurant who delivers food to their bus, the delivery driver who brings the food to their bus, the staff at the hotel, the chefs at the hotel, other guests at the hotel, staff at the arena, referees in the game, and finally the other team during the game. All of those points of contact are so much closer than fans who are seated off the court in an arena.

I think it's just hard for the league to justify having 7 teams traveling to Cambridge for the tournament when 3 schools in the league have already advised their students to go home. It sucks, and I really feel for the seniors, but it's the most cautious option given what has occurred. Princeton has just announced 2 potential cases of exposure to University staff, and I would be shocked if those are the only potential cases on Ivy League campuses given how much international travel occurs.

As far as hockey, I think that would fall under ECAC's jurisdiction and not the Ivy League's, right?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 01:02 PM - Post#303967    

So then please explain the following sentences from the press blurb:

"Postseason competition may continue for winter teams in accordance with institutional policies.

Effective immediately, the League is also implementing highly-restrictive, in-venue spectator limitations for all other upcoming campus athletics events."

I think the problem with playing in an empty gym as the solution is there's still so many points of contact for a team traveling. A traveling team interacts with the bus driver, the restaurant who delivers food to their bus, the delivery driver who brings the food to their bus, the staff at the hotel, the chefs at the hotel, other guests at the hotel, staff at the arena, referees in the game, and finally the other team during the game. All of those points of contact are so much closer than fans who are seated off the court in an arena.

I think it's just hard for the league to justify having 7 teams traveling to Cambridge for the tournament when 3 schools in the league have already advised their students to go home. It sucks, and I really feel for the seniors, but it's the most cautious option given what has occurred. Princeton has just announced 2 potential cases of exposure to University staff, and I would be shocked if those are the only potential cases on Ivy League campuses given how much international travel occurs.

As far as hockey, I think that would fall under ECAC's jurisdiction and not the Ivy League's, right?

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 01:07 PM - Post#303969    

• Old Bear Said:

I'm not sure if this ticket would have paid off. It was actually COVID over the rest of the field with only Yale still standing.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 01:17 PM - Post#303975    

I can't believe people are falling for this crap. It is a joke decision by a joke league that has never shown a true interest in caring about their athletes. Steve said it best:

• Quote:
"Didn’t see it coming,'' said Penn’s men’s basketball coach Steve Donahue, whose team was scheduled to play Yale Saturday in the semifinals. “To pull this from our kids, it’s the most horrific thing I’ve dealt with as a coach.”

Donahue cited “the inconsistencies” in the decision: “To have to tell kids their seasons and their careers are over, while lacrosse teams are going off to play games and wrestlers are going to nationals. ... If you’re letting Yale go to the NCAA tournament -- if they’d said across the board, we’re shutting down all sports, you’d understand.”

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/co rona...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 01:22 PM - Post#303976    

I said it first (well, at least on this board), but SD is 100% correct.

It's like the "virus" excuse all of the pro leagues are instituting vis a vis locker room access. They're OK with tens of thousands of fans in their stadiums in close proximity, but only trot out the 'virus' excuse so that they can close ranks within the clubhouse?

If you're going to use the virus as an excuse, at least have it make sense and apply the logic you are using consistently. Most of us can see through bogus excuses.

• Quakers03 Said:

• Quote:
"Didn’t see it coming,'' said Penn’s men’s basketball coach Steve Donahue, whose team was scheduled to play Yale Saturday in the semifinals. “To pull this from our kids, it’s the most horrific thing I’ve dealt with as a coach.”

Donahue cited “the inconsistencies” in the decision: “To have to tell kids their seasons and their careers are over, while lacrosse teams are going off to play games and wrestlers are going to nationals. ... If you’re letting Yale go to the NCAA tournament -- if they’d said across the board, we’re shutting down all sports, you’d understand.”

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 01:25 PM - Post#303978    

I just don't think this is going to be the last cancelation among the Ivy League, college sports, or sports in general. Is the decision overly cautious? For sure, and it really really sucks that a chance at a tournament bid was ripped from 6 teams like this. But I don't think that this is the last domino to fall.

These decisions are coming everywhere. I mentioned the NCAA tournament host site in Spokane earlier. Santa Clara County in California, where Stanford is likely to be hosting the first 2 rounds of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament, has issued a ban on gatherings over 1,000 people. All of the major sports in season are already making plans for what could happen in the coming weeks. The league's decision here is an extreme, but I think we're going to see more decisions in this line coming
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 01:36 PM - Post#303980    

Agreed with all of this. But in all of these other instances, there are rulings that are pretty much being enforced across the board.

If the IL actually enforced this decision across the board with all of its other sports, that would actually have credence.

I just don't think this is going to be the last cancelation among the Ivy League, college sports, or sports in general. Is the decision overly cautious? For sure, and it really really sucks that a chance at a tournament bid was ripped from 6 teams like this. But I don't think that this is the last domino to fall.

These decisions are coming everywhere. I mentioned the NCAA tournament host site in Spokane earlier. Santa Clara County in California, where Stanford is likely to be hosting the first 2 rounds of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament, has issued a ban on gatherings over 1,000 people. All of the major sports in season are already making plans for what could happen in the coming weeks. The league's decision here is an extreme, but I think we're going to see more decisions in this line coming

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 01:47 PM - Post#303984    

If other spring/winter sports continue with only attendance restrictions, it'll be impossible for the league to justify outright canceling the basketball tournaments. I just want to wait to see if those events actually do happen before criticizing this decision
mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 514
03-10-20 01:58 PM - Post#303987    

Cornell just announced this weekend's hockey games (ECAC QF with Princeton and NCAA womens QF) and the lax game (v. Yale) will be played without fans.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 02:00 PM - Post#303988    

Not without players though. Funny how that goes. No matter how you slice it this decision makes no sense. None. You guys really think this is about player safety???? Did you see the packed grass filled with students at Columbia yesterday during the school closing? I hate this league.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-10-20 02:02 PM - Post#303989    

I agree. But without any direction, people simply are panicking. And if you read posts here from people who know people affected, it's understandable. However, the inconsistency is ridiculous
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 02:27 PM - Post#303999    

This quote from AJ in the Inquirer article: “The hypocrisy of our Ivy League presidents is baffling and alarming,” read the petition. "We are disappointed and disheartened that they would discriminate against one sport and allow the others to continue to compete."

This from the conference that does not let their football champions play post-season. SMH

I signed the petition FWIW.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 02:32 PM - Post#304000    

Robin Harris consistently proves she is Lucy while the rest of us are Charlie Brown.

What a #%$@ league.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 02:53 PM - Post#304008    

• penn nation Said:
So then please explain the following sentences from the press blurb:

"Postseason competition may continue for winter teams in accordance with institutional policies.

Effective immediately, the League is also implementing highly-restrictive, in-venue spectator limitations for all other upcoming campus athletics events."

This right here. How can you do this and look ~120 of your highest profile student athletes in the eyes and tell them they can’t play, while others kids can?

This is just another case of the Ivy League caring more about its perception and appearing “smart” than caring about their actual student athletes. There are plenty of precautions that could have been taken by playing without fans.

Their own athletes have started a petition to reverse and are bad mouthing the league.

Oh and for the first time, we got a mention on ESPNU’s morning show... as a joke of a league, proven by Mickey Mouse decisions like this. I assumed they would go no fans and would have supported. Never thought they would be this WEAK.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 02:55 PM - Post#304010    

Do we think that there's any chance that if enough noise is made they'd reconsider?
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 02:55 PM - Post#304011    

Oh and by the way... Bryce Aiken’s Tweet calling this out as horrible already has more than 1,800 retweets and nearly 12,000 likes.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 02:55 PM - Post#304013    

Let's petition Penn to join the ACC!
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 03:06 PM - Post#304014    

• Quakers03 Said:
Do we think that there's any chance that if enough noise is made they'd reconsider?

No.

Decisions are made based on contribution $, and not noise.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 03:09 PM - Post#304017    

IL's decision now high up on ESPN site.

Cripes, we look like hypocritical pansies. Because if we were just pansies and not hypocritical then Yale couldn't go to the dance.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 03:10 PM - Post#304018    

Sadly agree, but should still make noise anyway to at least embarrass for the league / get bad press it deserves. Even though the powers that be won't care it might us feel a little better.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
03-10-20 03:12 PM - Post#304019    

• TheLine Said:
IL's decision now high up on ESPN site.

Just above "Report: Horse deaths not tied to illegal meds"
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 03:12 PM - Post#304020    

Oh yeah, we were on ESPNU's morning show for the first time I've heard... as a joke of a league.
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-10-20 03:27 PM - Post#304026    

I will admit I haven’t read all the posts, but do people feel differently about the Ivy tournament if they got to play the games but in front of an empty arena?

T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
03-10-20 03:29 PM - Post#304028    

• Bruno Said:
I will admit I haven’t read all the posts, but do people feel differently about the Ivy tournament if they got to play the games but in front of an empty arena?

That would be fine with me.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 03:30 PM - Post#304030    

• Bruno Said:

Of course. One theme of these posts has been the double standard set by the IL--cancel the basketball tourney, but allow all other sports and tourneys to continue (albeit with spectator modifications).

The IL needs to explain why it is singling out basketball. It hasn't, and won't.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 03:33 PM - Post#304032    

• Bruno Said:

Of course that's why we're mad. We were already prepared for no fans. Are these students planning on self-quarantining for the remainder of the semester? Because if not, they are no more at risk of contracting it playing in an empty gym than they are of going out to eat. It is an overreach just to try and shine a spotlight on being above everyone else. What do you say to a future recruit about this?
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 03:33 PM - Post#304033    

• Bruno Said:

Yes, completely fine and even prudent to play without fans. The kids should be allowed to play.
digamma
Masters Student
Posts 468
03-10-20 03:36 PM - Post#304035    

There's an Athletic article with some insight into the decision, and some absolutely gut wrenching quotes from Brodeur for anyone with a subscription.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 03:54 PM - Post#304040    

Leave it to Dana O'Neil to capture the emotions here:

"Now, on Tuesday morning, it was time to study Yale, the top seed in the Ivy, and Penn’s opponent on Saturday night. Donahue sat down in his usual spot. He didn’t have his laptop with him, but Brodeur didn’t think much of it. “And then he started to talk, and his tone, I thought someone in the Penn basketball family had died,” Brodeur said. “He just said, ‘I don’t know how to tell you guys this.’ ” Only a half-hour earlier, Donahue had received a call from his athletic director, Grace Calhoun. She asked if they could meet. “I knew something was up,’’ Donahue said. That something was the worst thing, a decision by Ivy League presidents to cancel the league tournament because of the coronavirus outbreak, and award Yale, the men’s regular-season champions, the league’s automatic bid. Similarly, regular-season champ Princeton earned the women’s bid. Any shot at the NCAA Tournament for Harvard, Princeton and Penn on the men’s side, and Penn, Harvard and Cornell on the women’s, was over. “I just, I didn’t know what to say. It was like I got chills,” said Brodeur, a senior. “It was so shocking. I’m thinking I have three, who knows how many games in front of me, and instead I realized my last game is behind me. I couldn’t understand.”...
Penn is on spring break, so there were no classes to attend, people to see. Nowhere to be. Reached three hours later, Brodeur was still there, still milling about, commiserating with some of his teammates, idly shooting at a vacant basket. Penn won’t practice Wednesday, or Friday, a thought that Brodeur hadn’t even considered. “Wow. Man, I don’t know what I’ll do,” he said. “There’s no one here. I’ll probably come to the gym. I don’t know where else I’m supposed to go.”

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 03:57 PM - Post#304042    

Hours later and I am still in complete disbelief. This is a bad dream.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 03:58 PM - Post#304043    

https://www.change.org/p/the-ivy-league-rein state-...

The petition, which was started by "Ivy League Men's and Women's Basketball Teams" and has been shared by current and former players on social media and has over 3,000 signatures in 3 hours
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-10-20 04:29 PM - Post#304061    

Does anyone know when the ED will be holding a press conference on this matter?

(Of course I'm kidding)
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 04:34 PM - Post#304064    

The lack of accountability is appalling.

Someone should send the petition to Steve Ballmer.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
03-10-20 04:39 PM - Post#304066    

• TheLine Said:
The lack of accountability is appalling.

Someone should send the petition to Steve Ballmer.

Or Donald Trump.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 04:52 PM - Post#304069    

Story all over sports radio... even Mad Dog radio and they never talk college basketball. All commentators I’ve heard so far have nothing but bad words to say.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 04:54 PM - Post#304070    

And I heard this on drive to lunch work meeting... with colleague/contact from NorCal. Should I have just canceled meeting since there are more cases up north?!?
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 05:02 PM - Post#304073    

Were there going to be 100+ people at the meeting?

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 05:20 PM - Post#304075    

Massachusetts cases rose 124% between yesterday and today.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 05:24 PM - Post#304076    

Last week there was 1 case in New Rochelle/Westchester County.

Presently there are 108 in Westchester as of mid-day (and no shortage of pending cases in the hopper. Mrs. Nation fills me in all too frequently).
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 05:36 PM - Post#304078    

• Chip Bayers Said:
Massachusetts cases rose 124% between yesterday and today.

How does playing a game with 50 players/refs/media in an arena put people more at risk than say going out to eat? Why won't other conferences be canceling? Are we completely shutting down society for the next month+?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 05:45 PM - Post#304082    

• Quakers03 Said:
Are we completely shutting down society for the next month+?

We will need to make pretty drastic changes.

Our health care system will soon be overwhelmed.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 05:50 PM - Post#304084    

Right, but we're not there yet, so to me this smacks as Robin wanting the Ivies to stand out. How in the world are other athletes still allowed to compete? How does that make sense?? What is the actual liability of having it in an empty stadium? Can't people sign waivers?
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 05:53 PM - Post#304085    

• penn nation Said:
  • Quakers03 Said:
Are we completely shutting down society for the next month+?

We will need to make pretty drastic changes.

Our health care system will soon be overwhelmed.

Yeah. This is not about shutting down society entirely, but it is about doing enough now to flatten the bell curve so that ICU beds and ventilator units remain available for the patients who will need them. Otherwise, as in Italy, you get a whole bunch of the most severe cases arriving at hospitals around the same time.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 06:01 PM - Post#304086    

The stupidity is not in taking action.

It's in the hypocrisy of coming up with an alternative (don't have tournament) while also allowing Yale to participate in the NCAA's (because the risk is suddenly less?).

There are plenty of other options that could have been taken - for example move the tournament out of Boston.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-10-20 06:05 PM - Post#304087    

Don't be surprised if this doesn't crush recruiting. How does a coach refute the public sentiment that the powers that be (whomever they are here) don't value you as a basketball player, or, at least, value your efforts less than any other league in the country.

Who could know what stupid decision comes next?

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 06:34 PM - Post#304089    

Now over 6,000. That's a way, way faster spread than this meshugena virus.

The petition, which was started by "Ivy League Men's and Women's Basketball Teams" and has been shared by current and former players on social media and has over 3,000 signatures in 3 hours

Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 06:42 PM - Post#304092    

Please get a little perspective.
New Rochelle is now being cordon off by the national guard. This may occur in other places too. Just riding the T is making people in Boston nervous. Effects on recruiting no longer matter, and will probably be nil

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Don't be surprised if this doesn't crush recruiting. How does a coach refute the public sentiment that the powers that be (whomever they are here) don't value you as a basketball player, or, at least, value your efforts less than any other league in the country.

Who could know what stupid decision comes next?

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 06:57 PM - Post#304095    

• Big R&B Truth Said:
Please get a little perspective.
New Rochelle is now being cordon off by the national guard.

Here's what that does and does not mean, though:

It is NOT a quarantine. It is rather to examine any building within a mile radius of that synagogue where groups congregate (schools, additional houses of worship, civic club building, a Starbucks, etc). Those buildings will be closed for a 2 week period and thoroughly fumigated, cleaned, etc. In addition, the National Guardsmen will be delivering meals to children who relied on the (I believe 3-4) impacted public schools in that radius for their breakfast and lunch.

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 07:01 PM - Post#304097    

The MAC and Big West have announced they will play their conference tournaments with no spectators. The NCAA released what was essentially a non-statement this afternoon saying they are evaluating options, which reads to me like they’ll wait to see how conference tournaments play out and what happens in the next week before making a decision on the NCAA tournaments
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 07:05 PM - Post#304098    

Three of the Sweet Sixteen sectional sites in DIII women's basketball (Tufts, Bowdoin, Amherst--all in the Northeast) have announced their games will be played without spectators.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-10-20 07:11 PM - Post#304099    

What makes the MAC move interesting is that it's the first in a series of tournaments occurring in the next few weeks in Ohio, where the governor today recommended indoor sporting events have no spectators beyond athletes, parents, and essential people ( https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/ 123744723... ). Ohio is scheduled to host the First Four in Dayton a week from today, and Cleveland is a Friday/Sunday first round site.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 07:33 PM - Post#304102    

• Chip Bayers Said:
Were there going to be 100+ people at the meeting?

Yes, it was lunch in a restaurant that was quite big in Playa Vista.

I'm not detracting from the need to take measures, but I fail to see how them playing the games with no fans in person is some grand risk. And if it is a grand risk, why are other teams still participating in events this weekend?
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 07:51 PM - Post#304104    

I think they should have played with no fans, especially since all signs are the NCAA is headed that way. But Harvard apparently said it couldn’t be done at Lavietes. So they punted.

Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-10-20 07:54 PM - Post#304105    

Why couldn’t they play at Lavietes without fans?

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 07:56 PM - Post#304107    

• Bruno Said:
Why couldn’t they play at Lavietes without fans?

That's what the 49 of us on this board have been asking all day.

That, plus the 6,750+ folks (and counting) who have signed the on-line petition started by Penn Women's basketball:

digamma
Masters Student
Posts 468
03-10-20 08:24 PM - Post#304110    

Never fun to see your 9 year old in tears. Last night I told him our spring break trip was canceled. Tonight I told him he had seen his favorite players play together for the last time.

"The corona virus is ruining everything."
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 08:47 PM - Post#304111    

One reason why it was canceled is that the Boston area could easily have 300 or 400 COVID 19 cases by this weekend. It would be a bad look for Harvard and Ivy League if a player became infected.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-10-20 08:52 PM - Post#304113    

It’s a bad look right now for Harvard and the Ivy League. Turn on any sports radio or check the internet, Twitter, etc. and you’ll quickly see that.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 08:57 PM - Post#304114    

A bad look according to sports fans and press is different from a bad look by a public health or legal perspective.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 09:07 PM - Post#304115    

• Big R&B Truth Said:
One reason why it was canceled is that the Boston area could easily have 300 or 400 COVID 19 cases by this weekend. It would be a bad look for Harvard and Ivy League if a player became infected.

Again, if that's really the reason then don't play in front of ANY fans (any number of other Boston area schools are doing that very thing). And if that's STILL not enough and you don't think your athletes are safe, then cancel ALL of your sports.

Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 09:09 PM - Post#304116    

I really get the sense they might have done the right thing and let them play if the playoff had remained at the Palestra. Eliminating the crowd largely negates the home court advantage.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 09:18 PM - Post#304119    

Harvard has seemed to canceled most of its on campus sporting events into next week. There is still Mens and Women's Lacrosse scheduled on Sat.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 09:22 PM - Post#304122    

• Streamers Said:
I really get the sense they might have done the right thing and let them play if the playoff had remained at the Palestra. Eliminating the crowd largely negates the home court advantage.

Maybe, but Boston is way ahead of Philly in the COVID 19 epidemic. We are currently 3rd or 4th in the country and we may be much higher in a few days. Thank you Biogen!

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-10-20 09:27 PM - Post#304123    

I wonder if Philadelphia somehow just ended up on the short end of the testing stick or had an odd roll of the dice, with the first city victim identified only today.

But Delaware, Montgomery, Camden, and Burlington counties in the suburbs all have cases.

A CHOP staff physician is among those testing positive.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 09:36 PM - Post#304124    

• digamma Said:
Never fun to see your 9 year old in tears. Last night I told him our spring break trip was canceled. Tonight I told him he had seen his favorite players play together for the last time.

"The corona virus is ruining everything."

Tell me about it. Watched every single game with me for 3 years and has to see it end this way.

I don't care what the defenders say, you are wrong. Dead wrong. These players were no more at risk from playing in a basketball game than they are from doing anything else they'll be doing. The idea that someone is going to contract the virus BECAUSE they played a game in front of 50 people is one of the most asinine things I've read in a long time. Yeah, they are going to not only contract it, but trace it back to the game which will in turn present a black eye for the league....Lololol. I don't even know how to respond to a comment like that. The black eye caused from this is far beyond anything that could have occurred. But to Robin and the "leaders" it's exactly what they wanted.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-10-20 09:39 PM - Post#304125    

Philly is behind the curve as usual. Reinstate the Tournament and move it here. Our place is big enough for every participant to get their space
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 09:48 PM - Post#304129    

The players still needed to go out eat and might interact with the general public at a hotel. How many of you are willing to take a trip to Seattle today? Boston will be similar by the weekend. We have an unknown number of infected people in the area due to a careless Pharma executive who spread the virus a large number of people at a conference.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-10-20 09:54 PM - Post#304133    

No they don't. There are any number of precautions that could have been taken. Or they could have found another location since the logistics of serving a crowd were gone, and with it went Harvard's home court advantage, so why not move?
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 09:59 PM - Post#304134    

I am just saying they are justified not coming to Boston. I have no idea why they couldn't have moved it. I would have suggested Ithaca. It's isolated and I don't think they have any reported cases.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-10-20 10:24 PM - Post#304140    

Bingo.

Seriously, how hard would that have been, considering there would be no fans? Just point the buses to another location, have Harvard host next year.

But no, because no one in IL gives a crap about doing the right thing.

Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-10-20 11:01 PM - Post#304144    

For those of you who don't know, this is the story behind the Boston outbreak.
Mistakes made by many, but what else is new.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/11/nation/how -...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-10-20 11:47 PM - Post#304146    

As well as at the other end of the country....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/coronav irus-...
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-11-20 03:00 AM - Post#304149    

Congrats to Ivy League office, we even managed to get this debacle covered by CNN: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/10/us/ivy -league-b...
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 06:09 AM - Post#304151    

And Al Morganti on WIP this morning--"How crazy is the Ivy League. They cancel their tournament and hand the title to Yale AND SEND THEM TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT! IT'S EITHER SAFE OR IT'S NOT SAFE TO PLAY!"
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-11-20 07:16 AM - Post#304153    

It ain’t over yet.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-11-20 07:55 AM - Post#304156    

Robin and her merry men seem to have some bad Karma following them around or is it that they are simply incompetent. Proponents of IvyMeadness "drink the Kool Aid crowd" might want to reassess as to what they have been supporting over the past several years or at the very least urge the replacement of Robin and crew.

Part of the story line was that IvyNadness was going to advance the reputation of the league - sure!!

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 08:10 AM - Post#304159    

Here is the only mention of an interview with Robin Harris I can find so far:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/sports/ivy -leag...

- Harris, the Ivy League’s executive director, said in an interview that the presidents of the conference’s members had decided to cancel the basketball tournaments after weighing an array of alternatives. Those options, she said, included limiting capacity to allow for “social distancing,” as Stanford has done at its sporting events; playing in front of only essential personnel and a limited number of team guests; and playing without spectators. The presidents also considered playing without any restrictions. -
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-11-20 08:17 AM - Post#304161    

Thanks for sharing but Robin Harris besides being incompetent is your normal IL bureaucratic administrator. She is an "empty suit".
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 09:08 AM - Post#304165    

I could not tell you if she is more in control of things or similar to a professional sports commissioner hired to support the owners. Either way, she is the face of the conference and the main person who has to answer for the athletic-related decisions made by the eight presidents.

The Harvard Crimson has a little bit more info.

- Ivy League Executive Director Robin J. Harris said in a Tuesday interview that the league considered several scenarios before settling on the decision to cancel the tournament. She said the presidents of the eight Ivy League institutions — including University President Lawrence S. Bacow — made the decision in a conference call at 7:30 a.m. that morning.

Harris said the leaders of the eight schools put thought into contingency plans for the tournament.

“That is exactly who devoted hours to discussing and weighing all the options and ultimately made the very difficult decision to cancel the tournament in the interest of the health and safety of our fans, our students, and the general community at large, given the outbreak that’s occurring,” Harris said. -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 09:12 AM - Post#304166    

School-wide athletic updates

Brown (March 10)
https://covid.brown.edu/news/2020-03-10/trave l-ath...

- Athletics events: The move to limit attendance at spring season athletics events comes as part of an Ivy League decision announced earlier today. At this time, for all spring athletics competitions, attendance will be restricted to team members, coaches, essential staff and three invited guests per team member. In addition, the Ivy League basketball tournaments, scheduled for March 13 to 15, will be canceled; and for out-of-season sports, practices will be prohibited. The league will continue to review the impact of COVID-19 on athletics, and updates on these measures may be made in the coming days or weeks. -

Columbia (March 10 2:45 pm)
https://gocolumbialions.com/news/2020/3/10/genera l...
- With the continuation of the spring sports season, Columbia teams will continue to travel domestically. Columbia Athletics will allow any student-athletes still in competition to decide for themselves if they wish to travel. Spring sports (Archery, Baseball, Men's & Women's Golf, Lacrosse, Heavyweight/Lightweight/W omen's Rowing, Softball, Men's & Women's Tennis, Men's & Women's Outdoor Track & Field) will continue to practice and compete as scheduled with necessary precautions.

Columbia spring sports teams will continue to compete in home contests as scheduled; however, attendance will be limited to essential staff. Parents/guardians, family, student and spirit groups, and general public shall be prohibited. Columbia Athletics will continue to cover events via ESPN+ and/or live statistical/social media feeds, pending the availability of technical personnel.

Columbia winter sports programs who remain eligible for postseason competition (Swimming & Diving, Fencing, Track & Field, Wrestling) will continue to have the opportunity to compete in their upcoming NCAA Championship events.

All individual and/or team practices and competition for fall and winter sports teams no longer in season are cancelled effective Saturday, March 14, until further notice.

All policies regarding athletic activities are subject to change based upon an ongoing review of circumstances. Columbia University and Columbia Athletics will continue to monitor the situation as it relates to public health initiatives at the University, federal, state, and local levels, and provide you with updates as frequently as necessary.

"The health, safety, and well-being of our community is our top priority." Pilling said. -

Cornell (March 10 7:30 pm)
https://cornellbigred.com/news/2020/3/10/womens -ic...

- Cornell University has announced measures to highly restrict in-venue spectators at all upcoming campus athletics events. These guidelines will have significant impact on games played in Ithaca, including this weekend's NCAA women's hockey tournament game, men's hockey's ECAC Hockey playoff series, polo team's Northeast Regional tournament and men's and women's lacrosse contests.

Each student-athlete, both Cornell and visitors, will be limited to three guests who will be allowed into the competition venue. Attendance at events, both ticketed and not ticketed, will be restricted to 100 except in cases that player lists exceed that number. No other spectators, other than essential gameday personnel and media, will be permitted in the venues.

These campus practices are in concert with Ivy League precautionary procedures and policies announced today which are designed to exercise caution in the interest of student-athletes and others. The Ivy decisions were made in accordance with the guidance of public health and medical professionals to discourage and limit large gatherings on campuses in light of the of the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and are subject to change based on the ongoing review of circumstances. -

Dartmouth (March 10 8:45 pm)
https://news.dartmouth.edu/covid-19/important-up da...

- Domestic travel for athletic events is being curtailed and sports teams will not travel to areas that are in states where an emergency has been declared. Spectator attendance at these events should follow the guidelines established above or by the Ivy League. The presidents of the Ivy League are discussing these guidelines and will be providing additional recommendations for official Ivy League contests as necessary. -

Harvard (March 10 11:30 am)

- Facilities are open as scheduled and extra steps are being taken to disinfect public spaces.
The ECAC Hockey men's quarterfinal best-of-three series between RPI and Harvard, scheduled for March 13, 14 and 15 (if necessary) at RPI, will be conducted without spectators.
The Ivy League Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments, scheduled for Lavietes Pavilion from March 13-15, have been canceled.
Effective immediately, the Ivy League is implementing highly restrictive, in-venue spectator limitations for all other upcoming events. The Ivy League is also canceling all out-of-season practices and competitions.
The following road events have been canceled:
Men's and Women's Crew Spring Training Trip to Florida
Men's and Women's Golf Spring Training Trip to Florida
Softball vs. BU in Fullerton, Calif. (March 13), vs. Cal Baptist in Fullerton, Calif. (March 13), vs. Long Beach State in Fullerton, Calif. (March 14), at Cal State Fullerton (March 14), vs. Sacramento State in Fullerton, Calif. (March 15), vs. North Dakota State in Los Angeles, Calif. (March 17) and at LMU (March 17)
Men's Tennis at San Diego State (March 16), at San Diego (March 19), vs. Texas at San Diego (March 20), at Pepperdine (March 22)
Women's Tennis at Sacremento State (March 17), at Saint Mary's (March 18), at Pacific (March 19), at Stanford (March 22)
Men's Volleyball at USC (March 14), at Pepperdine (March 15) and at Concoridia (March 16)
Women's Water Polo vs. CSUN at Aztec Invite (March 14), vs. UC San Diego at Aztec Invite (March 14), vs. Hawaii at Aztec Invite (March 15), vs. Long Beach State at Aztec Invite (March 15), Whittier at Pomona-Pitzer (March 17), at Pomona-Pitzer (March 17) -

Per Harvard Crimson

- Harvard Senior Associate Director of Athletics Nathan Fry wrote in an emailed statement Monday that the department has prohibited air travel for all of Harvard’s varsity sports teams until April 30.

As a result, the department canceled nine varsity teams’ spring break trips, including the softball team’s. -

Penn
Only thing on the Athletics website is the March 10 Ivy League press release. There is no athletic information on the school's COVID-19 resource page.

Princeton (March 10)
https://www.princeton.edu/content/covid-19-coro nav...
- The Ivy League decided March 10 to cancel the upcoming Ivy League Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments. Effective immediately, the League is also implementing highly-restrictive, in-venue spectator limitations for all other upcoming campus athletics events. The League is also canceling all out-of-season practices and competitions. The decision has been made in accordance with the guidance of public health and medical professionals to discourage and limit large gatherings on campuses. More information and updates are available at the Ivy League website. Specific information and guidance regarding Princeton Athletics will be forthcoming. -

https://goprincetontigers .com/news/2020/3/10/gener...

- Future updates pertaining to Princeton Athletics events and competitions will be provided here as available. -

Yale
Only thing on Athletics website is the March 10 Ivy League press release. There is no athletic information on the school's COVID-19 resource page.
LocalTiger
Masters Student
Posts 434
03-11-20 09:24 AM - Post#304170    

I understand people are frustrated and do not like the decision.
It is a difficult time, and I feel very badly for the players,
Especially the seniors.
It seems, however, that folks are getting ahead of themselves here. The announcement said that the decision was made by
League Presidents, based on advice from public health experts. The Board seems to have decided that is not true.
Some are blaming Harris; others say it is a Harvard decision.
Do people actually know anything that leads them to conclude
the public statement is false or that the advice received
did not support the decision?
I also understand that the critics are looking for uniformity-
Cancel all sporting events. " A foolish consistency" is
not always what the facts support.
No one can be sure the correct decision was made, but
it is at least defensible to think the right decision-makers
acted on the best available evidence without undue weight
on the financial considerations that are driving other leagues'
decisions.
I would be happier with another result, but I don't believe we
Should be so quick to condemn those who made this difficult call.

cancel all sports events.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-11-20 09:34 AM - Post#304172    

• LocalTiger Said:

No one can be sure the correct decision was made, but
it is at least defensible to think the right decision-makers
acted on the best available evidence without undue weight
on the financial considerations that are driving other leagues'
decisions.
I would be happier with another result, but I don't believe we
Should be so quick to condemn those who made this difficult call.

Have they don't anything in the past to earn the benefit of the doubt? No.
Naismith
Sophomore
Posts 149
03-11-20 10:42 AM - Post#304190    

Eight Ivy League presidents made this choice, certainly not someone working for them.

They likely were very much between a rock and a hard place, came to a decision. It was one of several options, any of which would have generated the kind of blowback seen here from some element of society.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
03-11-20 11:13 AM - Post#304200    

My ire at Harris is not that she is a decision maker and made a poor decision. We all get that she isn't. Hers is an advisory role.

It's that she isn't a useful advisor, always taking the lazy route. It's likely she is content with her cushy job and has no interest going above and beyond (aka Bilsky Syndrome). She does the bare minimum to keep her paycheck, which is fine by the presidents, who don't care about athletics anyway.

So the league makes a poor decision - sticking out like a sore thumb as the only conference punting on their tournament (yet Yale can still play at the NCAAs apparently). Harris can point to the fact that it wasn't her decision, neglecting that her incompetence or indifference directly led to the decision. The presidents will ignore the bad press because it won't move the dial and will eventually fade.

Bravo.

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-11-20 11:39 AM - Post#304205    

So with Mike James confirmation that this decision was driven by Harvard, it seems that the tournament was bound to be cancelled if the Crimson administration decided it could not be held at Lavietes. That left the others in a situation of deciding where to play the tournament, which I am sure quickly devolved into all of the reasons they decided to rotate the tournament location in the first place vs keep it at the Palestra or go to a neutral location. Also implied in the Harvard directive is the notion that "you guys can do what you want but it can't be here and our team won't participate". If that indeed was the conversation, and I have no idea if it was, then there really wasn't any choice but to cancel and send Yale.

I definitely think Harvard has lost its chance to host and the rotation should continue without them, if the ILT continues at all......which I think is not a guarantee.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-11-20 11:44 AM - Post#304206    

• PennFan10 Said:
So with Mike James confirmation that this decision was driven by Harvard, it seems that the tournament was bound to be cancelled if the Crimson administration decided it could not be held at Lavietes. That left the others in a situation of deciding where to play the tournament, which I am sure quickly devolved into all of the reasons they decided to rotate the tournament location in the first place vs keep it at the Palestra or go to a neutral location. Also implied in the Harvard directive is the notion that "you guys can do what you want but it can't be here and our team won't participate". If that indeed was the conversation, and I have no idea if it was, then there really wasn't any choice but to cancel and send Yale.

"Harvard basically does whatever the hell they want."

--Chris Lincoln, Playing the Game (quoting John Lyons)

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 11:53 AM - Post#304208    

How could they possibly say that their athletes couldn't play if they are allowing the hockey team to play against RPI without spectators?

It's just startling hypocrisy.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 11:54 AM - Post#304210    

So it's OK, as long as it is at RPI and Harvard doesn't face any liability.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-11-20 12:02 PM - Post#304211    

If Harvard drew a line in the sand with regard to their facility and their team, that would explain some of the other school's apparent "hypocrisy" related to their other teams. It doesn't explain Harvard's decision.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-11-20 12:03 PM - Post#304212    

You guys seem to all be correct. It is understandable that the Biogen coronavirus fiasco is putting unique pressure on Harvard, given that Biogen is in Cambridge.

However, it's wrong to prohibit the team from participating (if that happened) and more wrong for the league to not move on to another locale, without fans and with or without Harvard.
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-11-20 12:30 PM - Post#304217    

Can you imagine what the accusations would be if Harvard had won the top seed and the automatic bid?

westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
03-11-20 12:46 PM - Post#304218    

The 2020 CBI tournament was also cancelled today.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-11-20 12:57 PM - Post#304220    

Had Harvard won one more game, or Yale lost one more game, there would have been a tie. Wonder if that would have put pressure on league to play that single game? At Lavietes? At Palestra?

By the way, this entire thing is Steve Mondou-Missi's fault! Had he not hit the game winning shot at the Palestra in the single game playoff then Yale makes the NCAA's, isn't shut out of the NIT, CBI, CIT, so there isn't a Yale push for a Tournament, and Yale wins the tournament-less conference.

Thanks Steve! I mean it though - thank you very much Steve!
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 01:05 PM - Post#304222    

FWIW, Harvard athletics updated its events page at 11:15 am.

The women's lacrosse home game vs. New Hampshire on Wednesday (March 11) has been postponed.

Men's and Women's Track and Field at Cougar Spring Break Invitational (March 19) has been canceled.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-11-20 01:28 PM - Post#304227    

None of that matters if Yale and Princeton are still allowed to compete in the tournament. Because that means it was entirely about location and not student safety. The only thing that matters is the outright stupidity and selfishness exhibited by Harvard. I look forward to hearing what Mike has to say when he has the time and ability to say it.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-11-20 01:33 PM - Post#304229    

Just glanced at my ESPN app. THERE ARE 33 NCAA DIV 1 MEN’S BASKETBALL GAMES BEING PLAYED TODAY! WTF!
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-11-20 01:37 PM - Post#304231    

• palestra38 Said:
And Al Morganti on WIP this morning--"How crazy is the Ivy League. They cancel their tournament and hand the title to Yale AND SEND THEM TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT! IT'S EITHER SAFE OR IT'S NOT SAFE TO PLAY!"

Big difference. The Ivy League controls its own tournament. They don’t control the NCAA tournament, which is not for another eight days.

There is so much more to come here. CBI just cancelled. I could foresee them not cancelling the NCAAs, but doing something to prevent 16 teams from coming together in the same place. (E.g. in the early rounds changing the sites to either smaller groupings of teams or even giving higher seeds the chance to host on their home courts until the Final Four. Or maybe even doing the seedings and groupings to limit travel.) We are definitely going to see more Strange here.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-11-20 01:41 PM - Post#304233    

Esquire’s Charles Pierce tweets:

“If we’re going to play the tournament in empty arenas, let’s play it in the shrines — the Palestra etc.“

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 01:44 PM - Post#304234    

Maybe the Palestra could host a few games...
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 01:46 PM - Post#304235    

..and have piped in crowd noise and cutouts in the seats.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 01:48 PM - Post#304236    

For those more familiar with the events in Boston - If Harvard had legitimate concerns about safety and liability, wasn't there enough time to look at other league facilities or did the health crisis in the city increase too quickly & too late to possibly move the tournaments?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-11-20 02:25 PM - Post#304244    

The right teams are going to the NCAAs. The loudest beefers appear to be from the teams that didn’t get it right during the regular season. Every game should count.🐅
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-11-20 02:46 PM - Post#304245    

• Tiger69 Said:
The right teams are going to the NCAAs. The loudest beefers appear to be from the teams that didn’t get it right during the regular season.

You mean these 10,500+ (and counting) folks?

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-11-20 02:48 PM - Post#304246    

• palestra38 Said:
..and have piped in crowd noise and cutouts in the seats.

As we know, even a handful of family members in the stands is going to sound a lot better at The Palestra than at First Union or other large arenas.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 03:00 PM - Post#304248    

It's fine to oppose the Tournament--I was against it also. But the rules everyone agreed to called for a tournament and the teams all played with that strategy in mind. It's not a justification for what occurred, which screwed over all the players who played for the right to participate in the Tournament, that maybe there shouldn't be one in the first place.

Leave this argument for the off-season. It's irrelevant here.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-11-20 03:05 PM - Post#304249    

Ivy League just canceled all sports for the rest of the spring...That's better...I guess. Poor lacrosse.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/3/11/genera l-ivy-l...
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-11-20 03:09 PM - Post#304250    

Ah, gee...

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-11-20 03:10 PM - Post#304251    

Buzzfeed’s Alex Kantrowitz:

“People inside NBA circles expect the league to announce fanless games, possibly as early as today. Still a lot to work out, including what happens to season ticket holders. But expectation is professional basketball without fans.”

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-11-20 03:12 PM - Post#304252    

• Quakers03 Said:
Poor lacrosse.

Here's hoping that the spring players get to preserve the year's eligibility if they want it.
digamma
Masters Student
Posts 468
03-11-20 03:39 PM - Post#304261    

Individual schools will decide whether winter teams who have qualified for post-season play will participate.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-11-20 04:18 PM - Post#304273    

Have them play via XBox.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-11-20 04:19 PM - Post#304274    

https://twitter.com/hassel_chris/status/1 237827196...

CBS Sports is now reporting they’ve heard from a major conference official that a total cancellation of the NCAA Tournament is a possibility
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 04:22 PM - Post#304275    

And the NBA looks like it will announce 2 weeks with no fans

mobrien
Masters Student
Posts 402
03-11-20 04:48 PM - Post#304283    

The NCAA just announced that they won't allow fans for March Madness ... if it still happens.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 04:50 PM - Post#304284    

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/ncaa-march -madness...
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-11-20 04:58 PM - Post#304286    

Worrying about what sports talk radio dunderheads were saying about the Ivy League sure got stale very quickly.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 05:01 PM - Post#304289    

Sure did. I want my outrage back!
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
03-11-20 05:06 PM - Post#304292    

I like Al, most times. His politics need work but since they put that show on-demand I actually listen a bit. I like the crossover with the overnight guys.
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
03-11-20 05:14 PM - Post#304296    

I it’s starting to sound like the IvyLeague may be may just be ahead of the curve. Harvard has canceled classes for the rest of the semester and is sending students home. I wonder what that means for graduation ceremonies. I’m sure glad that didn’t happen my senior year.
I need an Opinion letter from P’38. I haveI have already received some entry fees from family members in the bracket challenge I chair. if the tournament is canceled do I have to refund the money?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 05:15 PM - Post#304297    

Yeah, that is when I usually am up in the morning (5:30--I am old) and I like that piece too. Not much sports radio where they let the host talk about things going on for a half hour without dunderhead callers
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-11-20 05:18 PM - Post#304298    

They're way ahead of the curve--the IL cancelled all spring sports.

• Old Bear Said:
I it’s starting to sound like the IvyLeague may be may just be ahead of the curve. Harvard has canceled classes for the rest of the semester and is sending students home.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-11-20 05:20 PM - Post#304299    

Legal Non-Opinion: Just do what SXSW did---no refunds--offer to give them credit in future tourney pools.....if there are any.

Remember, things could be worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yma-g4gTwlE
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-11-20 06:57 PM - Post#304319    

Dang, how could they have not planned for a pandemic so those poor kids would not be screwed? Where’s the justice?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-11-20 07:15 PM - Post#304320    

Aaaaaagggggjhhh!?! No more spring sports? Now, I have nothing to distract me from the election campaign. Begone pandemic, begone.
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
03-11-20 07:33 PM - Post#304323    

Thanks for that. Did the all sign the petition?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 09:13 PM - Post#304335    

Harvard hockey withdrew from the ECAC Tournament and the school says none of its students or teams will participate in any postseason play.

Yale hockey has withdrawn from the ECAC Tournament

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/03/11_...

According to the article, Cornell and Princeton are still in the ECAC Tournament.

The Cornell and Princeton women hockey teams remain in the NCAA Tournament, as of this time.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-11-20 09:33 PM - Post#304339    

Tonight will absolutely be the last night of the NBA season--fans or no fans-- after what just happened in OKC with Gobert, who tested positive.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-11-20 09:35 PM - Post#304340    

And there it is--NBA suspended the season. Just announced.

That's it, folks.

• penn nation Said:
Tonight will absolutely be the last night of the NBA season--fans or no fans-- after what just happened in OKC with Gobert, who tested positive.

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-11-20 09:35 PM - Post#304341    

Yeah there is no way the NCAA Tournament happens now
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-11-20 09:42 PM - Post#304343    

The Ivy League decision makers are looking much smarter tonight.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-11-20 09:52 PM - Post#304346    

Here's what I don't get: there's an NBA game on right now in the 3rd quarter.

Everyone in that arena should go straight home and stay there. And get tested, if possible.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-11-20 09:55 PM - Post#304348    

Yeah not quite sure why NBA games are continuing right now…this seems like the kind of situation where the league office should be mandating that these games be called
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-12-20 06:24 AM - Post#304364    

• Tiger69 Said:
Aaaaaagggggjhhh!?! No more spring sports? Now, I have nothing to distract me from the election campaign.

Here's an article in this month's Dartmouth Alumni Magazine that might fit the bill.

https://dartmouthalumnima gazine.com/articles/full-...
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-12-20 10:24 AM - Post#304383    

She has plenty of time for reflection now---she lives in Italy.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-12-20 11:50 AM - Post#304405    

The Big 10 and ACC are canceling the rest of their tournaments. The Ivy league is coming out smelling like roses.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 11:51 AM - Post#304406    

Patriot League has followed the Ivy League's lead.

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/3/12/genera l-p...

- CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – Recognizing that the health and safety of our students and broader communities is our priority, and based on the ongoing spread of COVID 19 (2019 novel Coronavirus), the Patriot League Council of Presidents has made the difficult and challenging decision to cancel all spring athletics practices and competitions through the remainder of the academic year.

The majority of Patriot League institutions have announced a temporary or semester-long transition to remote learning. While we recognize the deep disappointment that will be felt by our student-athletes, coaches, and communities, a continuation of spring seasons is untenable.

The decision will be effective Monday, March 16.

Individual institutions will decide the championship participation status of winter teams and student-athletes who have qualified.

Patriot League Council of Presidents
Sylvia Mathews Burwell, American University
Robert A. Brown, Boston University
John Bravman, Bucknell
Philip Boroughs, S.J., College of the Holy Cross
Brian W. Casey, Colgate University
Alison R. Byerly, Lafayette College
John D. Simon, Lehigh University
Brian Linnane, S.J., Loyola University Maryland
Lt. Gen. Darryl A. Williams, United States Military Academy
Vice Adm. Sean Buck, United States Naval Academy -

Boston University won the league's automatic bid last night. It will be interesting to see if both James Jones and his brother Joe make the same decisions with their teams.
Big R&B Truth
Masters Student
Posts 427
Big R&B Truth
03-12-20 11:53 AM - Post#304407    

After what happened with the Nebraska team last night there is very little way they can justify having the NCAAs.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 11:53 AM - Post#304408    

Major League Soccer has announced a 30-day suspension.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/12/major -le...

- Major League Soccer has suspended match play for 30 days, effective immediately, as the league continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with its medical task force and public health officials.

At the appropriate time, the league and clubs will communicate plans for the continuation of the 2020 season and update the status of league events. -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 11:58 AM - Post#304410    

Big 10, SEC and AAC have just announced that they are suspending their tournaments.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-12-20 11:59 AM - Post#304411    

The tide had started, pretty much every conference is canceling their tournaments now. Can’t imagine the NCAA Tournament happens at this point
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 12:05 PM - Post#304413    

Maybe the NCAA needs one of the automatic qualifiers to take the first step...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 12:26 PM - Post#304417    

The snowball continues, with the ACC, Big XII and Pac-12 canceling.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
03-12-20 12:33 PM - Post#304420    

• palestra38 Said:
She has plenty of time for reflection now---she lives in Italy.

Indeed!

And the Globe columnist who predicted that she ruined any hope of running for public office proved prescient.

Google "Amy Biviano Yale legislature" if you need more distractions.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 12:46 PM - Post#304423    

Someone was asking about this--I forget which virus related thread--but we're now up to 44 states with cases.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-12-20 12:51 PM - Post#304426    

• rbg Said:
The Ivy League decision makers are looking much smarter tonight.

Never thought I'd see that... ever
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 01:16 PM - Post#304433    

Big East canceled its tournament at halftime of the Creighton - St. John's game.

It will be interesting to hear Val Ackerman explain why she allowed the two teams to play for 20 minutes instead of pulling the plug before they game started - especially since the Big Ten, SEC and AAC had all canceled their tournaments several minutes before the game at MSG started.

A-10 and WAC are also canceled.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-12-20 01:20 PM - Post#304434    

As of 1:15 eastern it looks like only the MEAC and MAAC are left standing with tournaments still scheduled

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1 238148624...

NHL season also looks headed to a suspension and the MLB is going to suspend spring training and likely the regular season
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-12-20 01:54 PM - Post#304437    

And now the NHL: https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/coronavirus-co vid-...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 02:18 PM - Post#304445    

All synagogues in Westchester County are shutting down.

Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1419
03-12-20 02:21 PM - Post#304446    

I usually play at the JCC, rather than at the synagogue itself.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 02:24 PM - Post#304448    

Harvard and Yale hockey took themselves out of the ECAC Hockey Tournament yesterday, but Cornell and Princeton remained in the event.

The ECAC has now taken the decision away from those two schools by canceling its tournament.

https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2019-20/News/2020 03...

https://cornellsun.com/2020/03/12/ecac-hocke y-canc...

- The WCHA, NCHC and Atlantic Hockey will also cancel their conference tournaments. Hockey East will also cancel, USCHO.com reported. An announcement from the Big Ten is expected later Thursday afternoon.

As of 1 p.m. Thursday, the NCAA Tournament is scheduled to be played without fans in attendance. -

The Cornell men were the #1 seed (and #1 in the nation), while Princeton was the #11 seed. Cornell should be chosen for the NCAA Tournament, but Princeton would not.

The Cornell women are the #1 seed and still scheduled to host Mercyhurst in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
03-12-20 02:28 PM - Post#304451    

With few to no qualifying tournaments, it's astounding that the NCAA hasn't yet cancelled their events. Tone at the top = deaf, dumb & blind.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-12-20 02:29 PM - Post#304452    

Kansas and Duke have withdrawn from the NCAA Tournament. That’s basically a death sentence

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1 238166147...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 02:29 PM - Post#304453    

$$$$

Same tone at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Also why the NFL is not delaying either.

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
With few to no qualifying tournaments, it's astounding that the NCAA hasn't yet cancelled their events. Tone at the top = deaf, dumb & blind.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 02:55 PM - Post#304458    

Duke Athletics Suspends Activities Indefinitely

https://goduke.com/news/2020/3/12/duke-a thletics-s...

Statement from Duke President, Vincent E. Price (FWIW, from 1998 to 2009 he was Provost & Associate Dean of the Annenberg School at Penn)

- "We are taking this action to protect the safety of our student-athletes, coaches, staff and others who are essential to these activities. I know it is a great disappointment to our student-athletes and coaches, whose hard work and dedication to their sports and Duke is inspirational to so many, but we must first look out for their health and well-being. This is clearly an unprecedented moment for our university, our region and the wider world. As we take steps to confront the spread of this virus, I'm grateful for the cooperation and support of the entire Duke community." -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-12-20 03:11 PM - Post#304463    

Now that Kansas and Duke have shut athletics down and taken themselves out of March Madness, Cornell as the #1 teams in men's and women's hockey should tell the NCAA they will not be a part of the two tournaments.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 03:14 PM - Post#304466    

As of this moment, the DIII Sweet Sixteen is still on.

Yeshiva University still scheduled to tip off at Randolph-Macon on Friday at 2 pm--without fans.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
03-12-20 04:21 PM - Post#304475    

And done. Emmert announces no basketball tournament, along with cancellation of all remaining winter and spring sports championships.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-12-20 04:24 PM - Post#304476    

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/co rona...
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-12-20 04:33 PM - Post#304479    

And the MAAC finally joins in:

https://sienasaints.com/news/2020/3/12/baseba ll-ma...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 04:34 PM - Post#304480    

No more. Cancelled.

• penn nation Said:
As of this moment, the DIII Sweet Sixteen is still on.

Yeshiva University still scheduled to tip off at Randolph-Macon on Friday at 2 pm--without fans.

Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
03-12-20 06:56 PM - Post#304494    

My TV is now useless. Mrs. OB has full control of the remote.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1347
sparman
03-12-20 07:17 PM - Post#304497    

Mrs. spar is not happy about ballet being cancelled.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 08:36 PM - Post#304499    

I was telling my boychiks that they need to resurrect ESPN Classic. I know it still exists but it’s not in our package.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3669
03-12-20 08:36 PM - Post#304500    

With March Madness officially canceled, I guess that takes some of the sting out of Ivy Madness being canceled. So to speak.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-12-20 10:26 PM - Post#304509    

Well, we did have the Final Four--the last 4 states standing.

And now we're down to 3 as Alaska claims its first case.

Down to Alabama, Idaho and West Virginia.

What is Vegas saying about the odds here? They have to be looking for any kind of action they can find at this point.

• penn nation Said:
Someone was asking about this--I forget which virus related thread--but we're now up to 44 states with cases.

mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-13-20 09:25 AM - Post#304530    

To be fair, they all have cases. They just don't have testing.
mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 514
03-13-20 09:32 AM - Post#304531    

• penn nation Said:
Well, we did have the Final Four--the last 4 states standing.

And now we're down to 3 as Alaska claims its first case.

Down to Alabama, Idaho and West Virginia.

Gives me something root for here in Charley West (though Mike is certainly right, someone here has it, we just don't know the name).

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-13-20 10:48 AM - Post#304540    

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/brazil-pre sident-jai...

So when is Trump getting tested?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-13-20 11:25 AM - Post#304545    

I predict that he will stubbornly refuse to be tested and if he eventually did it would only be because everyone that remains of his inner circle would demand it.

Not, by the way, that we would ever find out if he actually contracted the virus. You can be sure of that.

But not to worry, in any event, since he and his doctor have previously assured us that his health is "perfect".
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1347
sparman
03-13-20 11:50 AM - Post#304548    

Is there a mental health question as part of the test?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics/t rump-test...
james
Masters Student
Posts 796
03-13-20 07:13 PM - Post#304582    

Virus has been here for months.

Just is what it is.

Watch the infection in europe—-Italy and Spain etc etc

The surprise is even on an Ivy League site this was met with skepticism. Shows how complAcent our society has been to it which is a shame.

I just drove by 2 major malls which are full. Amazing

Anyway if you don’t have symptoms fine but doesn’t mean you aren’t a carrier.

I just worry abt the less immune at this point. admittedly I also thought they shld play the tournament without fans.

So despite being somewhat in the know I was an genius. Harvard leads (painful to say)

james
Masters Student
Posts 796
03-13-20 07:14 PM - Post#304583    

If Italy can bend the curve that gives us hope but China and s Korea aren’t a good case study in my opinion bc they went to extremes our society won’t embrace
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
03-13-20 10:21 PM - Post#304591    

Robin Harris was interviewed by Michael Kay and his colleagues on ESPN radio in NYC. Some bullet points:

1. She did not claim credit for prescience on behalf of herself or on behalf of the Ivy presidents.

2. Contingency plans began two weeks ago, focused on how to play the basketball playoff games, even with limited attendance.

3. As recently as Monday morning, Robin expected to implement a policy involving limited attendance.

4. Policies implemented by the individual institutions limited all large gatherings, athletic and non-athletic. Some campuses had limits as low as 25 persons.

5. The league was willing to separate the men and the women but could not overcome the limits set by "our campuses" on the size of gatherings.

(Comment by me: It sounds like the search was limited to Ivy venues and did not consider locations outside of the league, elsewhere in Boston or in some other city, as possible limited-attendance tournament sites. Of course, the subsequent events in the NBA and the decisions by other conferences would have resulted in a cancellation of the tournament before the women tipped off on Friday afternoon, even if the league had obtained permission to play a limited-attendance event at Boston University or at some other venue.)

6. In response to the question as to whether she feels validated by subsequent events: "I'm still devastated for our student athletes and our coaches who did not have the opportunity for this capstone experience that they've worked so hard for, that they qualified for, since we only take four teams, and the opportunity to compete for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Even knowing the NCAA tournaments are canceled, I'm devastated for our athletes. I'm devastated for the spring athletes and the athletes in our other winter championships that don't get to have the post-season opportunities they had wanted. I'm relieved that others have decided that these measures are necessary to protect the welfare of our communities and the country at large, but it comes at a cost to the individuals that would have been involved in the contests. So these decisions were difficult. I do believe they were the right decisions, but it's not a decision we enjoyed implementing, that we enjoyed making. They're important for the welfare of our country, though."

6. What about another year of eligibility for seniors? "So we have gone on record regarding working with the NCAA regarding the spring sports, and I believe the NCAA, today, took action to provide that extra year, season, of competition for the spring sports athletes, because they have barely begun their season. It's much more complicated with the winter sports, and I know that the NCAA indicated they would take a look at that, so it will be interesting to see what they do because the regular seasons were completed, and, um, I don't know what they will end up doing."

The complete podcast from the Michael Kay show is available online for download.

Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
03-14-20 12:51 AM - Post#304594    

From an article by Kyle Bonagura of ESPN at this site.

"The NCAA Division I Council Committee has recommended that eligibility relief be provided to all student-athletes who participate in spring sports."

and

"In an email to a large group of administrators and other parties working in college athletics, committee chair Dr. Grace Calhoun [sic], the athletic director at the University of Pennsylvania, wrote that the committee will 'also discuss issues related to seasons of competition for winter sport student-athletes who were unable to participate in conference and NCAA championships.'"

and, without identifying a source:

"The Ivy League, which hasn't allowed athletes to pursue a fifth year at its schools in the past, said it is 'working with our schools to identify and consider various issues, including those related to the ongoing eligibility of senior spring student-athletes.'"

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
03-14-20 09:28 AM - Post#304597    

Now that everything has been cancelled, is an answer to play the college basketball postseason whenever it is safe to do so? Perhaps even at the start of next season? Instead of a preseason NIT, you have the prior year’s postseason, and then that is it for the true seniors’ eligibility.

Complicated for all the grad transfers.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-14-20 11:20 AM - Post#304601    

Preseason NIT doesn't really exist as a bracketed event anymore, so that would be pretty tough to do I think. It's now become campus site games and then 2 pre-set semifinal games

One option that ESPN's Fran Fraschilla proposed is integrating the 64 teams from the NCAA tournament into The Basketball Tournament (TBT), the yearly $2 million tournament for former college players in August. It's usually a really fun tournament that incorporates the Elam Ending, which was used in the NBA All Star Game this season. Amir Bell and Justin Sears were on a team together last year

https://twitter.com/JonMugar/status/12388 420941118...

The founder of TBT has said that if the NCAA allows current college players to play, they will increase their field to 128 and take all 64 teams NCAA tournament teams along with their 64 alumni teams they usually have. ESPN already holds the broadcasting rights and broadcasts every game, so the TV stuff is already in place.

Interesting option, probably unlikely it happens but would be pretty cool. Would be nice if there was a similar option on the women's side as well
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-14-20 02:57 PM - Post#304603    

virtually impossible for the various athletes that would be eligible for professional basketball. The draft is in June (likely to be pushed back) but the reality is those that want to play professionally would likely not participate.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-14-20 08:08 PM - Post#304611    

Now the real deprivation starts---PA will be shutting down the liquor stores, first in the 4 most affected counties, but likely to expand statewide. Good booze will soon be like toilet paper.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-14-20 09:57 PM - Post#304613    

Donald Trump should be kept in solitary confinement... just to be on the safe side!
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
03-14-20 11:26 PM - Post#304617    

• palestra38 Said:
Now the real deprivation starts---PA will be shutting down the liquor stores, first in the 4 most affected counties, but likely to expand statewide. Good booze will soon be like toilet paper.

Good thing we can buy wine over the internet.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-15-20 10:37 AM - Post#304632    

No restrictions here in sunny Mexico where the Tequila is always dancing off the shelves🇲🇽🌄🏜🐬🦐. So far, no CV. But, we live on Mexican time.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2275
1LotteryPick1969
03-15-20 12:43 PM - Post#304640    

• Tiger69 Said:
No restrictions here in sunny Mexico where the Tequila is always dancing off the shelves🇲🇽🌄🏜🐬🦐. So far, no CV. But, we live on Mexican time.

"On 13 March, the Mexican Stock Market Chairman, Jaime Ruiz Sacristan, has been confirmed tested positive as an asymptomatic case. Later, the Secretariat of Health announced in press conference that the number of confirmed cases had risen to 26." per Wikipedia.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-15-20 09:01 PM - Post#304665    

The spike WILL come, but later, more likely, since there is less movement between Mexico and the hot spots in the rest of the world. Canadians are leaving early for fear of being stopped at US border. Sadly, when things start to take off, this part of Mexico (Sonora) has only one first class hospital in Hermosillo nearly 100 miles from here and, inexpensive as it is by US standards, it is beyond the means of most locals.
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
03-16-20 07:24 PM - Post#304723    

The language may not pass the censor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks6Nq7g6P4
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-16-20 07:31 PM - Post#304724    

I don't know--I think that spike may come sooner than you think:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-cor onavi...

• Tiger69 Said:
The spike WILL come, but later, more likely, since there is less movement between Mexico and the hot spots in the rest of the world. Canadians are leaving early for fear of being stopped at US border. Sadly, when things start to take off, this part of Mexico (Sonora) has only one first class hospital in Hermosillo nearly 100 miles from here and, inexpensive as it is by US standards, it is beyond the means of most locals.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-16-20 07:46 PM - Post#304725    

Thanks, OB. I’ll spread the ...er ... 💩!
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2816
03-16-20 08:05 PM - Post#304726    

Posiblemente. Pero AMLO no se ve aqui en Sonora mucho.
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
03-18-20 07:30 PM - Post#304824    

Quoting something I saw on Facebook (wish it was my quote).

Day 7 without Sports on TV

found a lady on my couch

Apparently it is my wife

She seems nice.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-18-20 07:46 PM - Post#304825    

Why are you watching TV--no sports!

My boychicks were complaining that they were going out of their minds--TV was never on anymore since none of the sports channels had anything on.

So we relented and finally subscribed to Netflix (not that I'll ever use it, but the rest of my family will).

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.458 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:50 PM