Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Transfer List
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-14-20 08:59 PM - Post#316734    

With the cancelation of the Ivy League season, I'll sadly get the ball rolling on a list of transfers and potential transfers (both men & women).

I'm sure this is an undercount. Feel free to add or subtract based on any new information.

Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth): Temple
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Jadyn Bush (Harvard)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Jerome Desrosiers (Princeton)
Danilo Djuricic (Harvard)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Rio Haskett (Harvard)
Carlie Littlefield (Princeton)
Terrance McBride (Cornell)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Ryan Schwieger (Princeton)
Eddie Scott (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)
Gabe Stefanini (Columbia)
Jelani Williams (Penn)

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-15-20 01:05 AM - Post#316739    

Is this a list of players who are in the portal, or a speculative listing of seniors? Last I heard, Jelani Williams was planning to stay a 5th year at Penn. So the idea, before this year was cancelled, was that he would play two years. Has that changed?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-15-20 02:56 PM - Post#316748    

One person has definitely transferred (Barry) and several others have put their names in the portal. The others are speculative.

Please continue to add info to the thread so a clearer list can be created.

(If people would rather have the speculative names removed, that's ok with me)

https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-tra nsfers-fa...
Jadyn Bush (Harvard)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Jadyn Bush (Harvard)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Rio Haskett (Harvard)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Speculative
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Eddie Scott (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)
Jelani Williams (Penn) - possibly staying 5th year at Penn
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-15-20 04:18 PM - Post#316750    

Obviously way early to speculate on impacts for everyone, but this is probably worst for Dartmouth. They go from looking like they had a top of the cycle shot at the Ivy tournament this year to losing almost 75% of their minutes from last year and returning only one guy who scored more than 2.4 ppg. They will be a completely different team, and only Samuels and Slatjert will have significant experience. Depending on what the current seniors do, Columbia and Cornell could be similarly impacted. There could be an unusual number of teams next year returning no significant scorers and very limited minutes.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
11-15-20 04:41 PM - Post#316751    

My quick math on the winners and losers here have this working out well for Harvard, Penn and Columbia and poorly for Yale and Brown.

Yale would have been the consensus favorite, and Brown would have been a heavy favorite to break through and make the Ivy Tourney. It's much, much less likely that either of those two things would be true in 21-22.

Harvard will get an extra year to reload with the 2021 class being more valuable to it than the seniors it would have had this year. And it would have burned its Ivy Tourney hosting privileges on a year when it wouldn't have even been favored WITH the HCA unlike either of 2020 or 2022.

Similar to Harvard, Penn would much rather have two classes to absorb its losses, especially since the 2020 class was no bueno. Penn wouldn't have been favored to make the Ivy Tourney this year, but might be in 2022.

As for Columbia, there was a decent chance it could have been at 27-straight Ivy losses if this season had been played. Now it gets another year of recruits and for Cornell and Dartmouth at least to sink back down a bit. Long, long road ahead for the Lions, but at least we won't have to see the low point this season.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-15-20 04:51 PM - Post#316753    

Only disagreement on Columbia is that I thought they were better with Stefanini as their lead guard in 2018 than they were with Smith in 2019. So I think they would have been better than last year, which admittedly isn’t saying much. If they also lose Bibbs and Brumant, they will basically be Nweke and a bunch of new guys. If the talent level is increasing, I guess that is good. But I have trouble seeing them being competitive in 2022 with a significant experience gap to Harvard, Yale, and the Ps, and a significant talent gap to at least some of those teams (I would say to all 4, you might say to 3 of them). If Brown loses Choh, there will be a big question as to where the offense comes from, but Gainey and Mitchell give them good experience at everything else. Totally agree on the Cornell/Dartmouth point though — the gain for Columbia may be that other teams come back to them.
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
11-15-20 08:09 PM - Post#316760    

I feel very badly for Chou, he might’ve been the best player in the league this year. I agree with MRJ that Mike has done terrific Recruiting job over the past 2 to 3 years and I think the Bears will be very competitive in the next few years. Then again I’m not very objective.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
11-17-20 10:46 AM - Post#316842    

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 328706156...

Stadium's Jeff Goodman reporting that Cornell's Jimmy Boeheim, Terrance McBride, and Bryan Knapp have all hit the transfer portal. All are seniors so not surprising
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-18-20 12:35 PM - Post#316954    

Jadyn Bush (Harvard) will transfer to Cal once she graduates in the spring.

https://calbears.com/news/2020/11/10/women s-basket...

Since she missed last season with an injury, she should have two years left.

This works out as a swap, since McKenzie Forbes (Mason's sister) just transferred from Cal to Harvard after playing there for one year.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1 328804497...

Ryan Schwieger (Princeton) has entered the transfer portal.

https://cornellsun.com/2020/11/17/mens-baske tballs...

Cornell paper mentioned that Riley Voss also put his name in the portal.

Maria Guramare (Harvard) and Katie Kinum (Penn) can be added to the portal list.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-18-20 12:46 PM - Post#316956    

Transferred
Jadyn Bush (Harvard): Cal

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Havard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Rio Haskett (Harvard)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Speculative
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Eddie Scott (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-18-20 03:03 PM - Post#316970    

Don’t know if Stefanini is officially in the portal, but he tweeted pretty clearly that this is his final year at Columbia.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-18-20 09:09 PM - Post#317019    

Add T-Choh to the transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1 329152982...

Transferred
Jadyn Bush (Harvard): Cal

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Havard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Rio Haskett (Harvard)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Speculative
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Eddie Scott (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
11-18-20 09:33 PM - Post#317023    

Could we get a picture of this portal?

Is it like that doohickey thing in Star Trek where Scotty got some face time?

Asking for a friend.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2139
11-19-20 04:24 PM - Post#317069    

• penn nation Said:
Could we get a picture of this portal?

Is it like that doohickey thing in Star Trek where Scotty got some face time?

Asking for a friend.

I've heard that it actually looks more like an old London telephone booth.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
11-19-20 04:32 PM - Post#317070    

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_City_on_t...
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1347
sparman
11-19-20 06:05 PM - Post#317078    

https://timetravelnexus.com/time-trek-star-trek-t h...

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Atavachron

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-19-20 06:16 PM - Post#317079    

And Desrosiers.

To quantify this some, with Choh entering the portal, that means the league’s top ten in rebounds per game and assists per game last year will be gone. Among the top ten scorers per game, only Llewellyn, Dingle, and possibly Swain would remain. If Swain and Columbia’s seniors don’t come back, only Princeton will return more than 40% of minutes from last year. Penn, who would have returned the second fewest minutes this year (only ahead of Harvard), would now return the second most minutes.

The league is going to be very inexperienced when next it plays.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
11-19-20 06:43 PM - Post#317080    

Yep, as I posted to Twitter... the returning players from the 2019-20 All-Ivy team will be:

Noah
Jaelin
Swain

Obviously, the ROY will be back and the two DPOYs will be as well, but 2021-22 will be a referendum on recent recruiting.

It might also be a popular MTE year, assuming that this non-season will count as one of the two off years in the four-year cycle.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
11-19-20 07:08 PM - Post#317083    

Mariette Hartley indeed was hotter than Joan Collins, but Kirk got neither, as he only gets the green ones.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3777
11-19-20 08:17 PM - Post#317087    

I understand that, if you're able to traverse the portal, you'll find AJ Brodeur on the other side. But this AJ has a beard.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
11-19-20 09:10 PM - Post#317092    

God I love this group.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1347
sparman
11-19-20 10:01 PM - Post#317096    

Judging by photos, I think Dame Collins has passed through the portal herself.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-20-20 12:54 AM - Post#317101    

Transferred
Jadyn Bush (Harvard): Cal - 2 years remaining

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Havard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Rio Haskett (Harvard)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)
Asha Taylor (Dartmouth) - graduating after junior year, will have 2 years remaining
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Speculative
Charlie Bagin (Princeton) - taking year off, probably returning in 2021-2022
Elijah Barnes (Princeton) - taking year off, probably returning in 2021-2022
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Eddie Scott (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)
Jelani Williams (Penn) - possibly staying for 5th year in 2021-2022
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
11-20-20 10:01 AM - Post#317111    

• palestra38 Said:
Mariette Hartley indeed was hotter than Joan Collins, but Kirk got neither, as he only gets the green ones.

Personally, I think Miss America Lee Meriwether was better than both of them.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/That_Which_Su...

Alas, Kirk didn't get her either.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
11-20-20 10:02 AM - Post#317112    

"I am for you, James T. Kirk."
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
11-21-20 08:54 AM - Post#317153    

There has been a fair amount of conversation over the past several years if IL basketball is on the upswing. Additionally, some have expressed that the league might be heading towards a significantly higher level of performance in the not too distant future.

In the short term, the decision to cancel play will have some type of negative effect although it will obviously be a function on how many of the better players transfer. The longer term effect, if any, is to be determined but it seems hard to believe that it does not have some effect on recruiting.

IL Presidents had a tough decision to make and time will tell if it was indeed the right one. We do know, as per the norm, there were issues with communication which is not the least bit surprising.

Many people comment as to how college athletes are treated, i.e. should they be paid, transfer rules, etc. It does seem that athletes have much input on major decisions that greatly effect them.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
11-21-20 05:24 PM - Post#317156    

It's not going to just affect Ivy recruiting. The effect on D1 recruiting will be substantial with every athelete being granted an extra year of eligibility and seniors looking at entering the transfer portal. Last year saw 900 transfers in D1 basketball and this year the number is already 20% higher and it will climb.

With that many transfers taking scholarships(limiting the number available to HS grads) and Covid restrictions eliminating live recruiting, an Ivy degree combined with a D1 schedule has never been more attractive. That's why it's even more of a tragedy that we will likely be the only D1 basketball conference to completely cancel.

I don't know how the recruiting will fall out and who will benefit, but it seems pretty clear the status quo is going to go through some serious change.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-21-20 05:52 PM - Post#317158    

I think short term we are going to see a significant drop in the league’s level of play. It will be lack of experience more than anything else. In recent years, we have had at least 4 top 200 teams, and we haven’t had a bottom 50 team in quite a while. We even had a year with no teams in the bottom 100. Even Columbia last year, going 1-13 in the league, was 299 in kenpom. In the old days, multiple Ivy teams would have been worse than that every year.

Next year, it is probably meaningful that mrjames both thinks Penn will sink out of the top 200, and will likely be a favorite to make the Ivy tournament. Columbia, Cornell, and Dartmouth all will lose just about everything. Assuming everyone else in division one plays this year (which is not a certainty), the league’s experience deficit will be huge next year. OOC, everyone but Princeton and Yale will have a lot of trouble being competitive out of conference.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
11-22-20 06:12 PM - Post#317185    

Yeah, just to be clear, I don't know if Penn indeed will be a favorite to make the Top 4 in 2021-22 - just that maybe they will (doesn't change your point at all, but just for posterity's sake). Opposed to in 20-21, where I would have had Yale, Brown, Harvard and Princeton clearly favored as the Top 4.

The league would have taken a step back this season, for sure - likely much more significant than the -2 EM rating that KenPom estimated for the league... I could have easily seen the league falling into the 20s in conference rank again.

The extra season will have mixed effects, but I think net, net, it will be helpful. The bottom of the league will likely be worse - possibly having two 300s teams in the same season for the first time since 2010. But I could see Harvard, Princeton and Yale all being Top 150 teams. Brown and Penn are a bit of a wildcard - Penn for what it brings back paired with a few pieces from its recent classes and Brown for its strong recent recruiting.

I do think the OOC could start as a disaster. Princeton often doesn't play well OOC for no apparent reason. Similar for Harvard, though we know the reason and with tons of talent and no set rotation, I'd expect much the same in 21-22 (some weird losses, but also some Tier A/B wins out of nowhere). Penn just won't be talented enough for a series of AJ-led stunners to buoy the league. Yale should have a decent run, and Brown will probably randomly beat URI or Providence, to keep things somewhat reasonable. At the same time, every team looks a little out of sorts to start the season, so I'm not sure I buy that all of the returning minutes will be overwhelming versus our relatively fresh faces.

As of now, the league has only lost graduating seniors who weren't going to be here next year under normal circumstances anyway. That's a good sign. Seeing recruiting attrition or transfers of players with years of Ivy eligibility left would be a really BAD sign. As long as the league avoids that, though, I'm not sure that the play/don't play decision will have any real impact at all, except to avoid contesting a season that probably could have been the low point in conference rank since 2010.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-22-20 08:12 PM - Post#317190    

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/11/penn- mens-ba...

15 questions with... Eddie Scott, a Penn men's basketball senior

- 1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I am from Prince George's County Maryland, right outside of DC. I went to school in DC my whole life. I am a student-athlete and I am graduating Penn this year with a degree in Communications. I am excited to graduate and I now have two more years to play college basketball with my eligibility. So, I will be going on to some university in the country to continue my athletics career. -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-22-20 08:13 PM - Post#317191    

Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Havard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Rio Haskett (Harvard)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Eddie Scott (Penn) - 2 years remaining
Kate Sramac (Cornell)
Asha Taylor (Dartmouth) - graduating after junior year, will have 2 years remaining
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Speculative
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
11-23-20 12:10 AM - Post#317196    

The reason I have a concern for ‘21-‘22 is that (and I think I have largely learned this from you) returning minutes really matter a lot. If the rest of division one plays and we do not, and none of their players use eligibility, almost everyone in D1 will return something close to 100% of their minutes from ‘20-‘21 (while adding another recruiting class and some Ivy grad transfers). Meanwhile, we will put forward nearly half of our league losing 75% of their minutes from the last time they played. We can make up some of this if our talent level is higher. But only Harvard is recruiting at a level where this is the case. I can’t imagine that any statistical model that you use would say that Harvard would be any good next year given their losses — you not only need to presume a very good recruiting class — it seems to me you would have to presume a supernaturally good one, and not just in the Ivy sense. I find it hard to imagine that Columbia, Cornell, and Dartmouth can lose all of their minutes, play 14 games against teams that return everyone, and expect to win much. None of this matters in conference of course — everyone is in the same boat, which is why in the league Harvard’s recruiting classes should easily put them in the top 4. But I think the league is likely to really take its lumps OOC.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
11-23-20 09:42 AM - Post#317204    

I hope that your prediction regarding next year is reasonably accurate although it seems doubtful.

It will be interesting to see what other conferences cancel the upcoming season and if it turns out the IL made the right call. Time will tell.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
11-23-20 10:48 AM - Post#317210    

Yep - generally the breakeven point is 70% returning minutes for the Ivy, and as you mention, the implicit assumption is that the average recruiting class/internal talent can make up for 30% of minutes at a similar level to those departing. You can think of schools like Kentucky and Duke, where returning minutes don't seem to matter at all because of how strongly they recruit and there are likely low majors where the breakeven point on returning minutes is even higher because they very rarely get impact players.

With two recruiting classes coming in at once, that returning minutes threshold is likely lower, though clearly we don't have the talent of a Kentucky or Duke where it doesn't matter at all.

I'd argue that Harvard's combined top 7 in 2020 and 2021 are very comparable to the 2016 class. There's no Bryce Aiken in the class, but 2020 and 2021 is deeper with talent than 2016 was. And the 2017 Harvard team was much better than 2016 with only Siyani, Corey, some Zena and the boatload of freshmen. That's a good comp to focus on when thinking about what 21-22 could bring.

Similarly, Brown's combined 2020 and 2021 hauls are the biggest influx of talent that team has seen in a single year since the Earl and Alai class. Yale has a couple high major recruits coming, and it looks like Molloy is starting to find it again after leaving NMH.

My point is merely that these hybrid 2020 AND 2021 recruiting classes should be expected to lower that RPM bar. How much is a big question. Also, with all of the grad transfers, while other teams will have experienced players, those players may have less experience together, though I agree, OOC may be a big tougher than it has been in past years.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-23-20 07:20 PM - Post#317242    

Rio Haskett (Harvard) to Hampton University of the Big South.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/11/22/family-tie s-bri...

Family ties bring Harvard’s Rio Haskett to Hampton

- Haskett played his high school ball at Richmond’s L.C. Bird High School. He led Bird to a 90-11 record as a three-year starter. He was named All-State twice.

He will now be following in the footsteps of his father, Mario Haskett Sr. Mario Sr. played college ball in the CIAA at St. Paul’s College for the late Edward “Buck” Joyner Sr. in the late 1990s. Now his son will be playing for Buck Joyner Jr. at Hampton.

“We’re family. Me and Buck are like brothers,” Haskett Sr. told HBCU Gameday. “The opportunity presented itself, and — to make a long story short — my son said ‘dad, he’s gonna give me the keys to the car, I’ma drive.” -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
11-23-20 07:27 PM - Post#317243    

Transferred
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth): Temple - playing this season
Rio Haskett (Harvard): Hampton

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Havard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Speculative
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Jarod Simmons (Penn)

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
12-05-20 11:32 PM - Post#317607    

Verbal Commits had a huge number of additions to the list on December 1st - Jarrod Simmons of Penn, Matt DeWolf & Jake Shaper of Brown and the entire senior class at Columbia.

https://verbalcommits.com/conferences/ivy

Madison Pack of Columbia has also put her name in for a transfer.

Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Maria Guramare (Havard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Speculative
Jameel Alausa (Yale) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022
Jalen Gabbidon (Yale) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Azar Swain (Yale) - possibly taking year off, returning in 2021-2022
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
12-06-20 01:37 AM - Post#317609    

For what it’s worth, that 2017 Harvard team returned close to 70% of its minutes. And two of the three teams that finished ahead of Harvard in 2016 lost more than 50% of their minutes (Yale and Columbia).
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
12-18-20 01:39 PM - Post#318118    

According to Jeff Goodman at Stadium, Wyatt Yess (Yale) has entered the transfer portal.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2 020-...

Here is the latest updated after adding this information and last week's AP roundtable with 4 of the women's coaches.

Men
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Chris Knight (Dartmouth)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning
Alex Cade (Yale) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022
Rachel Levy (Harvard) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022
Maddie Stuhlreyer (Harvard) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022

Not Returning
Sydney Boyer (Princeton) - enrolled, not entering transfer portal
McKenna Haire (Princeton) - enrolled, not entering transfer portal
Matilda Salen (Harvard) - enrolled, not entering transfer portal

Unclear
Tori Andrew (Yale)
Ellen Margaret Andrews (Yale) - possibly has 2 years of eligibility (injured after 5 games in her sophomore year)
Riley Casey (Columbia) - enrolled, no decision for 2021-2022
Tori Crawford (Penn) - enrolled, no decision made for 2021-2022
Christina Dicindio (Penn) - enrolled, no decision made for 2021-2022
Michae Jones (Penn) - enrolled, no decision made for 2021-2022
Dominique Leonidas (Brown)
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Andrea McCormick (Columbia) - enrolled, no decision made for 2021-2022
Halley Miklos (Cornell)
Eleah Parker (Penn) - enrolled, no decision made for 2021-2022
Kallin Spiller (Columbia) - enrolled, no decision for 2021-2022
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
12-21-20 02:20 PM - Post#318156    

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 341060585...

Ryan Schwieger has committed to Loyola-Chicago. He'll graduate from Princeton this spring and be eligible to play next season for the Ramblers
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
12-27-20 08:11 PM - Post#318283    

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 343348352...

Another Ivy addition to Loyola-Chicago next season, as Dartmouth's Chris Knight has committed to play there as a grad transfer next season as well. Will be cool to see him and Schwieger team up
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
12-28-20 11:14 AM - Post#318288    

Men
Transferred
Chris Knight (Dartmouth): Loyola-Chicago
Ryan Schwieger (Princeton): Loyola-Chicago

Entered Transfer Portal
Paul Atkinson (Yale)
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Tori Andrew (Yale)
Ellen Margaret Andrews (Yale) - possibly has 2 years of eligibility (injured after 5 games in her sophomore year)
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Halley Miklos (Cornell)
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
01-03-21 09:55 PM - Post#318501    

https://twitter.com/paulwall561/status/13 459096391...

Paul Atkinson has committed to Notre Dame as a grad transfer for next season
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
01-04-21 04:44 PM - Post#318560    

Thanks for the update.

Men
Transferred
Paul Atkinson (Yale): Notre Dame

Entered Transfer Portal
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Tori Andrew (Yale)
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Halley Miklos (Cornell)

AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4361
01-08-21 04:23 PM - Post#318868    

Eleah Parker entered the portal
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
01-09-21 04:49 PM - Post#318903    

Thanks for the update.

Men
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
McKenna Dale (Brown)
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning
Tori Andrew (Yale) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Ellen Margaret Andrews (Yale) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022 (possibly has 2 years of eligibility - injured after 5 games in her sophomore year)
Riley Casey (Columbia) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Tori Crawford (Penn) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Christina Dicindio (Penn) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Michae Jones (Penn) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Andrea McCormick (Columbia) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Halley Miklos (Cornell) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022
Kallin Spiller (Columbia) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
01-25-21 01:46 PM - Post#319743    

Dartmouth's Anna Luce has entered the transfer portal.

T-Choh has gotten some interest.

San Diego State, Seton Hall, South Florida, Loyola Chicago, Howard, Cal Baptist, Southern, Illinois, Portland and St. Bonaventure

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 351993694...

Danilo Djuricic has gotten some interest.

Arkansas, Stanford, Wake, Vandy, Gonzaga, VT, BC, Santa Clara, Loyola Chi, Fullerton, Bakersfield, Rice, Akron, Hofstra, Toledo, Charlotte, UIC, GM, NM, Drake, Cal Bap, UAB, SBU, St. Joe’s, UCSB, UCR, Boise St

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 350253266...

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
01-25-21 03:05 PM - Post#319746    

Perhaps Loyola Chicago is trying to adopt the "Ivy Grad Transfer All-Star Team" model that some have suggested before haha. They already have commitments from Schwieger and Knight, and showing interest in Djuricic and Choh. Get those 2 and then grab 1 of the available transfers from Columbia, Cornell, Penn and Yale and they'll have a full set
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
02-02-21 03:26 PM - Post#320126    

https://twitter.com/desrobball/status/135 668229426...

Princeton's Jerome Desrosiers has committed to Hawaii as a graduate transfer
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
02-02-21 06:32 PM - Post#320129    

Now there's a smart guy! Hawaii....good for him.
Tiger81
Masters Student
Posts 412
Tiger81
02-03-21 09:23 AM - Post#320138    

Jerome Desrosiers transfers to Hawaii, looking like a very smart decision as we in NJ dig out out of 20+ inches of snow!

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/02/03/sports/b...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-03-21 11:29 PM - Post#320183    

ESPN's first rankings of the 2021-2022 Transfer Class:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/insid...

4. Paul Atkinson - Yale (committed to Notre Dame)
8. Chris Knight - Dartmouth (committed to Loyola Chicago)
13. Gabe Stefanini - Columbia
14. Tamenang Choh - Brown
15. Jimmy Boeheim - Cornell
21. Terrance McBride - Cornell
25. Ryan Schwieger - Princeton (Loyola Chicago)
26. Danilo Djuricic - Harvard
32. Aaryn Rai - Dartmouth
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-03-21 11:35 PM - Post#320184    

Men
Transferred
Jerome Desrosiers (Princeton) - Hawaii

Entered Transfer Portal
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale)

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
McKenna Dale (Brown) - 2 years remaining
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning
Ellen Margaret Andrews (Yale) - enrolled, no decision announced for 2021-2022 (possibly has 2 years of eligibility - injured after 5 games in her sophomore year)

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-06-21 10:13 PM - Post#320345    

Brown's McKenna Dale will go to the University of Virginia. She has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

https://twitter.com/jennhatfield1/status/ 135789411...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-06-21 10:21 PM - Post#320346    

Men
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale)

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
McKenna Dale (Brown): Virginia - 2 years remaining

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-09-21 02:27 PM - Post#320482    

Cornell's Terrance McBride will transfer to Rice.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 358926709...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

Rice has landed Cornell grad transfer Terrance McBride, source told
@Stadium
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-09-21 02:29 PM - Post#320483    

Men
Transferred
Terrance McBride (Cornell): Rice

Entered Transfer Portal
Tai Bibbs (Columbia)
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Randy Brumant (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale)

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-10-21 09:37 AM - Post#320519    

It has been interesting to watch the playing time and performance of IL transfers who are playing big time BB -- Aikens, Barry, Bruner, Smith, Towns etc. Several of the players have been hindered by injuries which surely impacts playing time and performance. By and large, they are contributors but not major factors as to the success of their teams. The one transfer from a few years ago -- Desmond Cambridge -- probably has been the exception as he plays 31 minutes per game and is the second leading scorer on a 14-7 Nevada team.

It makes you wonder how will the next batch, and a large batch, of IL BB transfers perform. I think that it is fair to say that there is a big jump going from IL BB to Power 5 basketball even for the best of IL players. On a different note, it has been a big step up for Coach Banghart to go to ACC basketball. Last year's team was 16-14 and this year , UNC us 9-8 although her team just knocked off #4 team in the country.

Another question is how far is IL men's BB away from legitimately being a two bid league.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-10-21 09:47 AM - Post#320521    

Miles
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
02-10-21 09:52 AM - Post#320522    

Never been further. This year they are all by themselves as a zero bid league.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-10-21 09:58 AM - Post#320524    

And the consequences of what the League did will reverberate for many years. If we don't care about basketball enough to play while every other conference did, what likelihood is it that the other schools will think the Ivies should be given an at-large bid. Indeed, it wouldn't wholly surprise me if in some form of expansion, we are thrown into a play-in.

I don't want to get into another debate on whether we should have played or had a bubble, but the consequences of not playing will be significant, especially since we are all likely to be much weaker over the next 2-3 years.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
02-10-21 11:32 AM - Post#320540    

I agree with this. I am also convinced that the players who are playing are safer than the ones who are not (IL). Mainly because of the strict protocols in place for those playing including: masks, regular testing, contact tracing, staying in safe groups and the ramifications of not following protocols. Many want to point to the reporting of positive tests among players and the few who violate protocols, but no one is reporting or tracking the positive tests among IL players and their activities. They are not getting tested multiple times a week, nor are they subject to contact tracing and since they can't gather (until recently) there is no accountability for their behaviors.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1347
sparman
02-10-21 11:35 AM - Post#320542    

IMO, it's like asking which constellation is farther away. Not going to get to any of them in my lifetime.

Also, while there may be a short term effect, I don't think it will last. The ivies are selling something that is perceived by most prospective students as having long-term value.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-10-21 11:41 AM - Post#320543    

I certainly understand what the Ivies are selling, being a 2-Ivy graduate (as is my daughter, who was just accepted to Columbia Business School so we both will be both Red and Blue and Light Blue).

But the basketball teams will be badly hurt by this. We are losing a generation of upperclassmen and continuity of our programs.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-10-21 11:43 AM - Post#320544    

I remember some of the good and lively debates as to how IvyMadness would help propel the IL to a two bid plus league as well as some other projected benefits, i.e. increased attendance, league exposure etc etc.

It is very challenging to raise the profile of the IL to compete against the Big Five and other power programs. It will be very difficult and unlikely for the IL to make the transition unless the IL Presidents make the strategic decision to alter their views regarding sports. This year's decision not to play will have consequences that will be played out over the next few years.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
02-11-21 01:27 AM - Post#320591    

I think this is complicated. There could be negative repercussions, certainly. Among other things, I think the loss of experience and returning minutes compared to the rest of college basketball could result in a big dip in our comparative rankings next year. OOC could be ugly, and we could have the lowest league Pomeroy rating in quite a while.

That said, it remains to be seen whether we lose players to transfer down the line. Swain, Gabbidon, Dingle, and Martz all appear to have decided to take time off to preserve Ivy eligibility rather than set themselves up for a grad transfer. The unusual loss of minutes could help us in recruiting in the next couple of years, particularly as the rest of college basketball could face a numbers crunch. Normally, the Ivy grad transfers are providing some vet stability to teams that lose players to graduation. As everyone preserves a year of eligibility, there may be a reduction in demand for transfers coming. There also could be a lack of immediate playing time for incoming freshmen across college basketball— except for the Ivy.

So I think the league has some new basketball benefits to sell in addition to our usual selling points.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-11-21 09:24 AM - Post#320598    

I hope that you are correct although I suspect that the cancellation will have significant short-term consequences and some mid-term consequences.

Fortunately, the major selling point remain - an Ivy League education. Fortunately, the IL has 4 to 6 rock solid coaches that will somewhat buffer the impact. The underlying issue(s) remain the same as to the commitment of the IL to athletics. BB should be a perfect sport for the IL Presidents to make a very different commitment level than the past but I doubt that they will do it.

For player athletes like Llewellyn and others, I am not so sure what kind of advice that they may give potential recruits as a result of the 2020-21 experience.

Time will tell but we should be able to look back 3 years from to see what was the reality vs. theory.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
02-11-21 10:30 AM - Post#320611    

Any year that followed the graduation of one of the strongest - even with the injuries - classes in the modern era of the Ivy was going to involve a step back. It's important to provide that context lest we compare 2021-22 directly with 2019-20.

2020-21 would have been a disaster - especially considering the talent that had already withdrawn to save the Ivy year and the rumored injuries (Llewellyn). Avoiding this year, while painful for fans, might be a blessing because we won't have to see the depths of the bottom we would have seen.

I haven't seen any recruiting decommits nor have I seen any transfers that aren't seeking the grad transfer route. I'm also not hearing that the recruiting trail has become tougher in any way due to the pandemic. Given the increasing frequency of the articles with coaches questioning if it was all worth it, the Ivy League is probably going to come out of this looking at worst neutral in the whole situation.

The sky isn't falling. In two months, we'll be talking about 2021-22 like every other conference, and we'll have two pretty stocked recruiting classes to project our hopes and dreams onto.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
02-11-21 12:15 PM - Post#320624    

• bradley Said:

For player athletes like Llewellyn and others, I am not so sure what kind of advice that they may give potential recruits as a result of the 2020-21 experience.

I'm not sure why Llewellyn has consistently been singled out as a player who might feel slighted or jaded by the 20-21 experience when he:

a) would not have played the season due to injury

and b) has been nothing but positive about his Princeton experience and the decision to cancel to the season in interviews he's given since the season was cancelled.

I don't think there is a single player on the men's side who would have been eligible to play in the Ivy League in 2021-22 who has expressed a desire to transfer, nor have any recruits decommitted
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
02-11-21 12:30 PM - Post#320626    

Stop letting the facts get in the way of a good story!
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-11-21 12:35 PM - Post#320627    

Stop letting bad rhetoric get in the way of the issue.

The issue is an entire upperclass that might have been the Ivies' best in history leave because we are the only conference not to have played. We can differ in opinion as to the likely effect, but the issue is not underclassmen who might have chosen to transfer nor recruiting in the immediate future. It's the loss of a generational class without showing the college basketball world how good we were and telling all of college basketball that we really don't care about sports--something that well could affect seeding and at-large bids, as well as long-term recruiting of top prospects.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
02-11-21 01:57 PM - Post#320639    

https://twitter.com/taylorcpeterman/statu s/1359918...

Well this is an interesting development…

The Crimson is reporting that Ivy Presidents will allow current seniors to participate in athletics as full-time graduate students at their current university next year.

If I'm reading correctly this will leave big decisions for the current seniors (Atkinson, Knight, etc) who have already committed elsewhere as graduate transfers
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
02-11-21 02:05 PM - Post#320640    

And they decided this now instead of months ago because...............???????

Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3777
02-11-21 02:25 PM - Post#320642    

This could be more than interesting. If it's true and if it goes well, the presidents might be persuaded to make the policy permanent. That could represent a sea-change in Ivy recruiting.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-11-21 03:03 PM - Post#320644    

It's a very welcome decision---and clearly it's because they see what we see.

However, as PF10 notes, it may just be too late.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-11-21 03:37 PM - Post#320645    

From the Harvard Crimson:

The Ivy League will allow current senior student athletes an extra year of eligibility as full-time graduate students during the 2021-2022 academic year. Students must be admitted as graduate students “through regular channels” at their undergraduate university to be eligible for this waiver, [Harvard Athletic Director Erin] McDermott wrote [in an email to senior student athletes]. Students must receive approval from their fifth year advisor and the Ivy League office.

The waiver is an “unprecedented opportunity” for senior athletes considering graduate studies at Harvard, McDermott wrote, though she acknowledged it may be “difficult to take advantage of” due to the decision’s timing.

“In granting this waiver, the Presidents acknowledge the unique impact of the pandemic during the current academic year across all three sport seasons for those students in their final year of Ivy League eligibility,” she wrote. “This change is a direct result of the pandemic and will not be available in future years.”
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-11-21 03:49 PM - Post#320646    

Yes, my daughter already has been accepted to business school and they are approaching their 3rd application period now. It's really hard to make a competitive Ivy graduate school this late.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
02-11-21 03:58 PM - Post#320647    

Now feel free to get angry everyone. I'll politely stand down.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
02-11-21 04:01 PM - Post#320648    

I just checked the deadlines at some Penn grad programs. Law is done as of January. MBA (3rd round - a longshot via 'regular channels') is 3/31 as is the case with most of the others ex-Medical/Dental/Vet. You have 6 weeks to pull it all together, and it's 1-year only.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-11-21 04:27 PM - Post#320649    

Your permission is appreciated. But I'm not the "get angry" type over this--it's more a sinister chuckle...

Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-11-21 04:49 PM - Post#320650    

Streamers, what is the application deadline for someone who is seeking a Master of Science in Nursing degree?

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
02-11-21 05:08 PM - Post#320652    

Ivy Law and MBA programs require dedication. Hard to play NCAA atheletics.

A lot of other options though.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-11-21 07:02 PM - Post#320658    

Maybe, IL Presidents will approve a Masters in Basket Weaving to give student athletes an option at such a late date.

Hopefully, reality will settle in and IL Presidents get an earful regarding decisions that they have made over the past few years regarding student athletes. Time to stop giving these folks a free pass. Based on the announcement, it seems to almost pain them to take this "one time" action.

As a number of my friends remind me, what do you expect when it comes to sports and the IL.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
02-11-21 11:52 PM - Post#320666    

• Stuart Suss Said:
Streamers, what is the application deadline for someone who is seeking a Master of Science in Nursing degree?

Not sure if you are being serious here Stu, of course you did not need me to look this up, but as it happens, all their deadlines have passed save for a part-time MSN program option with a March 15 deadline.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
02-12-21 02:05 PM - Post#320688    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Ivy Law and MBA programs require dedication. Hard to play NCAA atheletics.

A lot of other options though.

Yep.

It can be done, but I would not recommend playing a varsity sport while attending law or business school at a top-tier school....
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4911
02-12-21 02:26 PM - Post#320694    

There is also the matter of (in the non-professional programs) a preference for “outbreeding” in admitting grad students. Elite grad programs generally think it’s better to get people who’ve done their undergrad work elsewhere.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
02-12-21 05:04 PM - Post#320711    

That's generally true, but I do know of a fair number of cases that involve Ivy players going on to grad programs at their own institutions (generally not immediately though).
JDP
Masters Student
Posts 577
02-12-21 07:30 PM - Post#320716    

For Penn a change in policy could open up more submatriculation options ... and those likely can be done on a case-by-case basis at anytime during the year
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
02-12-21 10:49 PM - Post#320721    

Sounds like the approach UNC took with summer courses.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
02-13-21 01:12 AM - Post#320722    

Seems like I must have been an unusual slacker in law school.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
02-13-21 08:44 AM - Post#320723    

i can't speak to law school but business school you could probably coast through. There's a reason they call it "B" school isn't there?
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
02-13-21 10:54 AM - Post#320725    

I doubt there would be much slacking if one was actually paying tuition.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3777
02-13-21 11:05 AM - Post#320726    

• Jeff2sf Said:
i can't speak to law school but business school you could probably coast through. There's a reason they call it "B" school isn't there?

That was certainly my b-school experience. While there were quite a few students in my class who worked really hard because they wanted to graduate with honors and also, you know, learn stuff ("Knowledge is Good!"), there was also a sizable contingent that did the bare minimum necessary to get their sheepskin.

It's also worth pointing out that, depending on the flexibility of the program, varsity athletes in the first year of grad school might be able to take a lighter course load.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
02-13-21 11:58 AM - Post#320728    

yeah that's what i was thinking. work semi hard the first month making some connections, passing a mid term or two, then coast in q2/q3, then ramp up for q4 and do what you want in the 2nd year. and given some of these schools including penn and harvard have NINE HUNDRED PEOPLE PER CLASS, I think they can find their way to making room for a few people.

hardest part of first year was that ramp up for the intership, but I would think alums would be falling over themselves to find a spot for an internship.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
02-13-21 12:00 PM - Post#320729    

• Streamers Said:
I doubt there would be much slacking if one was actually paying tuition.

i mean... maybe? the goal of b school for lots of people is to land a kick butt job. That is often independent of how well one does in Accounting 102.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
02-13-21 12:11 PM - Post#320730    

With a daughter about to start B-school at Columbia in the fall, I'll find out shortly. I'll tell you from her experience at Penn as an undergrad, though--the students these days are FAR more competitive and work FAR harder than we did back in the day. You want recommendations and good grades. Where it doesn't matter as much is where the investment banking firms send their people there, as they do in bulk. Those guys already have jobs lined up.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8257
Streamers
02-13-21 03:08 PM - Post#320733    

Having done my time recruiting at MBA programs, I can tell you recommendations and transcripts make a difference. Many companies and especially highbrow consulting shops only recruit from the top slice of the class.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1149
02-14-21 05:58 PM - Post#320754    

• SomeGuy Said:
Seems like I must have been an unusual slacker in law school.

At my law school, the saying was:

1) Grades
2) Sleep
3) Social life

Choose two.

If you were able to accomplish all three, I salute you!

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-26-21 02:03 PM - Post#321209    

Tai Bibbs and Randy Brumant have announced they will be transferring to Howard University to play for former Columbia & Harvard assistant coach Kenny Blakeney.

https://twitter.com/bibbs_tai19/status/13 651072796...

https://twitter.com/rjaybrumant/status/13 651062602...

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
02-26-21 02:07 PM - Post#321210    

Men
Transferred
Tai Bibbs (Columbia): Howard
Randy Brumant (Columbia): Howard
Jerome Desrosiers (Princeton): Hawaii

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale)

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
Flyerfanboi
Freshman
Posts 9
03-02-21 02:42 PM - Post#321308    

Funny Aiken knew Kyrie Irving in Boston. Trying to push flat earth at the crimson!?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-04-21 11:14 PM - Post#321358    

Danilo Djuricic will be transferring to Santa Clara.

https://twitter.com/3danil0d/status/13676 259474747...

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-04-21 11:16 PM - Post#321359    

Men
Transferred
Danilo Djuricic (Harvard): Santa Clara

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale)

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-08-21 05:58 PM - Post#321624    

https://twitter.com/clittlefield33/status /13690301...

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Princeton's Carlie Littlefield will be playing as a grad transfer at UNC for Courtney Banghart next season
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-08-21 06:39 PM - Post#321627    

And, Eleah Parker will be at the University of Virginia, along with Brown's McKenna Dale.

https://twitter.com/eleah_jade/status/136 897247955...

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-08-21 06:41 PM - Post#321628    

Men
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Matt DeWolf (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale)

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
Carlie Littlefield (Princeton): North Carolina
Eleah Parker (Penn): Virginia

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-14-21 08:57 PM - Post#322024    

At least, Smith-Bruner-Towns have a realistic chance of winning a National Championship. Of the three, Smith is not only a starter like Bruner but he gets the most of minutes of the three.

Very disappointing not to see the Il represented at the Sunday Selection show. I would imagine that IL Presidents are in total denial and not watching. I wonder if Robin, ADs and BB coaches were watching -- I would assume that the later group did watch.

Lastly, what were the IL BB players like Knight and Schwieger thinking who will be heading to Loyola of Chicago, #8 seed this year.
section110
Masters Student
Posts 847
03-15-21 06:37 PM - Post#322093    

Probably noted that its a senior laden roster that will give them a real chance to play next year. Don't know what grad program either is pursuing; but Loyola is a Jesuit school, so there are probably good ones available.

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-15-21 07:38 PM - Post#322100    

Knight is a great option to replace Krutwig. Porter Moser loves to play through the post and Chris Knight could thrive there. And Schweiger is another natural fit for that program. I'd expect both to see major minutes next year and combined with some very good younger talent, they could easily get back to the NCAA next year
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
03-15-21 08:37 PM - Post#322102    

Except — aren’t the seniors all able to come back next year? Unless they are headed to the NBA, I assume they will mostly stick around for another year.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-15-21 08:55 PM - Post#322103    

• section110 Said:
Probably noted that its a senior laden roster that will give them a real chance to play next year. Don't know what grad program either is pursuing; but Loyola is a Jesuit school, so there are probably good ones available.

Loyola has many grad programs. Eons ago my mother was able to take some grad courses there when pursuing a graduate degree elsewhere.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
03-16-21 12:28 AM - Post#322105    

• bradley Said:
At least, Smith-Bruner-Towns have a realistic chance of winning a National Championship. Of the three, Smith is not only a starter like Bruner but he gets the most of minutes of the three.

Very disappointing not to see the Il represented at the Sunday Selection show. I would imagine that IL Presidents are in total denial and not watching. I wonder if Robin, ADs and BB coaches were watching -- I would assume that the later group did watch.

Lastly, what were the IL BB players like Knight and Schwieger thinking who will be heading to Loyola of Chicago, #8 seed this year.

There was a Sunday Selection Show? Just kidding, sort of... I watched 0.0 minutes of college basketball this year once decision was made to bin the Ivy season and I certainly didn't watch the selection show either. If I didn't watch as a big college basketball fan in general, I think your assumption that IL Presidents didn't watch is a solid bet.
section110
Masters Student
Posts 847
03-16-21 02:37 PM - Post#322130    

I am still completely confused @ that. Next year, this years graduates can play as grad students at their same school; but this was promulgated after the application deadlines for almost all programs & the seniors who entered the transfer portal had already arranged their new landing spots.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21206
03-16-21 02:58 PM - Post#322131    

The funny thing is that the Selection Show almost got delayed due to the length of the Illinois-Ohio State game. As it was, it may have started a few minutes late but if that game had gone to 2OT....oy.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-25-21 10:46 PM - Post#322531    

Matt DeWolf will be playing for former Columbia coach Kyle Smith at Washington State next year.

https://twitter.com/NMHbasketball/status/ 137514517...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-25-21 10:56 PM - Post#322532    

Men
Transferred
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth): Temple - played this season
Matt DeWolf (Brown): Washington State

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning
Azar Swain (Yale) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)
Kate Sramac (Cornell)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-26-21 11:55 AM - Post#322536    

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021

As of this morning, there are 904 D1 men's basketball players in the transfer portal with the number rising each hour. With 357 teams that's an average of about 2.5 players departing each program in D1
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-26-21 12:33 PM - Post#322543    

Certainly neutralizes the potential disadvantage that the Ivies would face next season in terms of team returning player minutes. Also could have huge knock-on effects for 2022 recruiting. Less so for the Top 150 set of prospects that will get recruited heavily either way, but for that next layer of impact players that will get high-major interest, but could be strong Ivy gets... there might not be as many P5 offers to compete with for that "solid 3-star"-type player.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
03-27-21 02:56 PM - Post#322562    

https://twitter.com/PrepHoopsOR/status/13 758380072...

Joseph Smoyer to D2 Chaminade for his graduate transfer year
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-27-21 05:23 PM - Post#322563    

i.e, a free year in Hawaii.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-27-21 10:04 PM - Post#322567    

There will be 1,200 transfers in the portal by next weekend. Scholarships are going to be very hard to come by for HS seniors.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-28-21 06:51 AM - Post#322570    

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/a-day-of-ncaa- chaos-o...
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-28-21 07:38 PM - Post#322576    

Pirorities for college coaches 10 years ago were

1. HS Seniors
2. Prep School players
3. JUCO

Now its:

1. Grad Transfer
2. Undergrad Transfer
3. Prep School
4. JUCO
5. HS Senior (other than the top 100)

Its a new world
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-28-21 07:44 PM - Post#322577    

No question. Speaking of which, Mike Smith, whose game I have loved ever since I first saw him tear up Penn, is in the Final 8 as the rock in the Michigan team, fearlessly leading them as a pass-first point guard. Just got some bad breaks with injuries and transfers at Columbia, but could have easily won a title here with a little luck. Imagine a team with Tape, Stefanini, Adlesh and Meisner with Smith----actually it happened in '17-'18 when Tape and Stefanini were freshmen, but it never had a chance to develop as Smith got hurt the next year and Tape left as did Stefanini. Could have been a great team.
Columbia 37P6
Postdoc
Posts 2180
03-28-21 08:55 PM - Post#322578    

Yes, I agree with palestra38 that Columbia (Smith)"... could have easily won a title here with a little luck," but that overlooks the fact that during Smith's first year at Columbia, his teammates included Luke Petrasek, Lukas Meisner, Jeff Coby, Hickman, Adlesh , Tape, McComber and several other talented players and yet the Lions finished 5-9 in the Ivy League. So Mike Smith was surrounded with skilled players from day one and yet the Lions didn't even make the Ivy League Tournament. With hindsight, I would say that Columbia's horrid record the past several years was primarily the result of poor coaching. Hopefully, that will change the comping season as the Lions have added two highly respected assistant coaches to the coaching staff and the recruits look very promising. Hopefully, the new beefed up Coaching Staff will turn things around quickly
Dr. V
PhD Student
Posts 1539
03-29-21 01:40 PM - Post#322586    

You would like to think that one's own fans would have the facts straight. Smith's first year was the year after the Lo/Mullins/Rosie team. So in Smith's first year, only one of the players from the previous year who had started at least 10 games was still on the team. Lo, Mullins, Rosie and Cohen graduated and Castlin was injured and lost for the year, so we had exactly one player who had started at least 10 games the preceding year, namely, Petrasek. Some of the players you mentioned developed later, others did not. In that first year, Tape averaged 3.6 points a game.

I don't know whether any of our teams with Smith could have won a title, but it is a fact that Smith was lost for the year when Stefanini was coming into his own and then Stefanini and Tape were lost for the year after Smith had come into his own and that that made a huge difference as those were our three best players in those years.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
03-29-21 01:50 PM - Post#322588    

You are correct, but my real point was that Smith always was one of the best players in the League---as a Penn fan, I feared him more than any other player because of his speed and skills and because of matchups. There were guys who could cover Aiken, Towns or Oni and although they were great players who on a given day could simply beat you with contested shots, Smith was a much tougher guy to contain. The problem Columbia had, as you note, was that because of the lack of other healthy talent, he had to do too much. As you see with Michigan, when he has guys who are efficient offensive players, he shines.
Dr. V
PhD Student
Posts 1539
03-29-21 10:49 PM - Post#322599    

Agree completely.

Further, although I did not have any doubts about Smith’s offensive abilities, particularly his floor general skills, I did have some concerns about his ability to go up against Big Ten guards defensively. But he has held his own. It obviously helps a great deal that he is playing with a couple of very good and very big defensive players, but still. That he has managed to hold his own defensively is impressive.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
03-30-21 04:14 PM - Post#322636    

I think for Smith playing at a higher level on a team where he can be helped a little more defensively makes a big difference. Smith had to do everything at Columbia — be the leading scorer, run the offense, draw a tough defensive assignment (and always draw the opponent’s top defender). The fit at Michigan has been absolutely perfect.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
03-30-21 09:37 PM - Post#322655    

!
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
03-30-21 11:22 PM - Post#322658    

Men
Transferred
Joseph Smoyer (Columbia): Chaminade

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
Riley Casey (Columbia): William & Mary
Kate Sramac (Cornell): William & Mary

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Elle Louie (Dartmouth)
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-02-21 12:26 PM - Post#322845    

No transfer news, but an update on two members of the Yale women's team (Tori Andrew and Ellen Margaret Andrews) and the Dartmouth women's team (Elle Louie)

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/03/31/tori- and...

- Forward Alex Cade ’22 — originally a member of Andrew and Andrews’s recruiting class — decided to take a year off to preserve her senior season. Both Andrew and Andrews, however, decided against time off to graduate on time and begin the next stage of their lives. Andrew plans to start law school this fall, while Andrews is heading to Newark, New Jersey to serve as an elementary school teacher as a part of Teach for America. -

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2021/2/22/womens -...

- DS: What are your plans after Dartmouth (as much as you can plan for anything during this pandemic)?
EL: I'm pursuing a career in engineering and computer science. -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-02-21 12:34 PM - Post#322848    

Men
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Anna Luce (Dartmouth)
Madison Pack (Columbia)

Returning

Not Returning
Tori Andrew (Yale) - enrolled, law school in 2021-2022
Ellen Margaret Andrews (Yale) - enrolled, has 2 years of eligibility remaining, joining Teach for America in 2021-2022
Elle Louie (Dartmouth) - working in engineering & computer science in 2021-2022

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
04-02-21 03:31 PM - Post#322862    

https://twitter.com/coachdoty/status/1377 675380581...

Now up to 1,905 D1 players in the men's transfer portal and 1,208 in the women's transfer portal
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
04-08-21 10:09 AM - Post#323022    

https://twitter.com/HawaiiWBB/status/1379 904958103...
https://twitter.com/HawaiiWBB/status/1379 905506286...

Kallin Spiller (Columbia) and McKenna Haire (Princeton) both headed to Hawaii as graduate transfers
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-09-21 12:53 PM - Post#323072    

Gabe Stefanini (Columbia) will transfer to the University of San Francisco.

Former Columbia and Duke forward Patrick Tape will also be going to USF.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 380548206...

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Columbia transfer Gabe Stefanini has committed to San Francisco, per his Instagram page.
11:48 AM · Apr 9, 2021

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 380549141...

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Duke transfer Patrick Tape has also committed to San Francisco, per the Instagram post below.

Big AM for Todd Golden and the Dons.
11:52 AM · Apr 9, 2021
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-09-21 06:41 PM - Post#323079    

Men
Transferred
Gabe Stefanini (Columbia): San Francisco

Entered Transfer Portal
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell)
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Riley Voss (Cornell)
Wyatt Yess (Yale)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
EJ Perry (Brown)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
McKenna Haire (Princeton): Hawaii
Anna Luce (Dartmouth): San Jose State
Kallin Spiller (Columbia): Hawaii

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)
Madison Pack (Columbia)

Returning

Not Returning
Ellen Margaret Andrews (Yale) - enrolled, has 2 years of eligibility remaining, joining Teach for America in 2021-2022

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
04-11-21 07:16 PM - Post#323124    

Finally looked at transfer list. IL is losing a LOT of talent both men and women between transfers and opting out. Going to be an interesting season to put it mildly.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32834
04-11-21 07:45 PM - Post#323126    

And the likelihood is that this will become typical for our best talent--get an Ivy degree and finish with free graduate school and for many of our best, Power-5 basketball
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-11-21 07:53 PM - Post#323127    

On the men's side... are there any losses beyond the players that were seniors this season anyway?

I mean, the 2016 class was the much tougher one to lose, and it looks like the league will retain two of the six players from the 2017 class to earn All-Ivy honors in 2020 (Swain and Gabbidon).

The flip side, also, is that we're getting two classes instead of one with a lot of talent in them.

So far, so good, to be honest. The doomsday scenario that some folks feared was that non-seniors would transfer or recruiting would be impacted due to the decision made this year. Haven't seen much of that, so we're actually in pretty good shape.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
04-12-21 08:01 AM - Post#323133    

Time will tell. The ultimate test will be the won/loss record in non-conference play over the next few years and I hope that I am wrong.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-12-21 10:03 AM - Post#323139    

That's certainly fair, but I also think it's important to contextualize the thinking now.

The best KP year for the league was 2019, in which the league finished with a +0.47 efficiency margin (that is the efficiency margin that would yield a .500 winning percentage expectation in league play). 2020 was close (a little better at the top, but a lot worse at the bottom) at -0.95. In those two years, a team needed to be in the 160s or 180s, respectively, to be expected to go 7-7.

KP's expectation for the league in 2021 was -4.66, which would have joined 2018 in a rough tie for the worst league season since 2010. A team in the 210s would be expected to finish 7-7.

My argument is that the 2020 to 2021 drop represents the significant step back the league had to take following the strong 2016 recruiting class. While I don't suspect 21-22 will get us back close to 2020, I do suspect it will have a good shot of moving us back in that direction. So, I just want to make sure that in the post hoc analysis, say, a -3.50 isn't viewed as a confirmatory step back for the league, but rather an improvement over where the league likely would have been if it had fully internalized the loss of the 2016 class in playing this past season.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
04-12-21 05:26 PM - Post#323148    

You are effectively saying we'll suck less than we otherwise would have next year? So we got that goin for us, which is nice.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-12-21 06:16 PM - Post#323149    

Sort of... what I'm really saying is that we missed what would have been a pretty forgettable year *this year.* And while next year might not be at the level we're used to, at least we didn't have to see what this year would have brought... Does that sound positive enough?
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3585
04-12-21 09:29 PM - Post#323150    

half full! I am in.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
04-14-21 02:04 PM - Post#323170    

"The food in this restaurant is awful."

"Yeah, and the portions are tiny!"
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-14-21 02:15 PM - Post#323174    

It's hard to find a nice way to say: "skipping 2020 doesn't matter because we would have been really bad anyway and we didn't lose anything we weren't supposed to lose, which is good, but that doesn't guarantee we'll be that much better next year, just that we won't be worse."

I'm getting why people just say: It is what it is.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
04-14-21 08:05 PM - Post#323190    

It is helpful to keep in mind, though. I think the league is going to have more struggles competitively next year than you do. If I am right about that (or just if there is a drop off from 2019 at all), there will be a tendency for people to say “you see, the league is worse because they shut down for 2020.” And that won’t necessarily be the whole story. we were likely to be worse in 2020 anyway.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
04-14-21 08:23 PM - Post#323191    

Mike, I guess that rationale applies to the league, but it's a tougher pill to swallow for Yale (likely to win the title) and Brown (likely to make the Ivy Tournament).
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-14-21 10:08 PM - Post#323195    

Losing 2020 was certainly rough for Yale and Brown, but Yale maneuvered around it decently well keeping Swain, and Choh ain’t gone from Brown just yet.

Certainly both of those teams would have benefitted *relative* to the rest of League this season, but they might be somewhat okay on an absolute basis next season. Definitely will be up against stronger teams though and a Harvard team that still gets to host the Ivy Tourney.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2692
04-15-21 12:15 PM - Post#323217    

Points well made.
But ...... Atkinson. With graduations (Lewis, Broduer, Tape, Aririzugoh) there wouldn't have been a center in the league able to contend with him.

Looking forward to making plans for Lavietes for the 3rd year in a row!

It'll be strange as I was there on March 7, 2020 when Harvard beat Yale. Must admit I knew enought to wonder if we were safe, and recall that out of 1636 fans, only ONE was wearing a mask! As we soon learned, that was the epitome of being 'the smartest person in the room."

Wonder what it will be like next March, or even sooner?

mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-15-21 02:00 PM - Post#323230    

Yep. Atkinson is basically the difference (and potentially Choh if he doesn't come back to Brown). Those losses will hurt Yale (and potentially Brown), respectively, but Yale will get Swain and Gabbidon for 21-22 when they wouldn't have if they played 20-21, so that should even the two years out a bit. Brown losing Choh entirely, though, would be really tough, as it already has a lot of work to do to find players that can score.

You could have made a strong argument that Yale would be 1 and Brown would have been solidly Top 4 this season and yet, at those exact same absolute ratings, would potentially be 2 and at risk, respectively, next season.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6413
04-15-21 03:31 PM - Post#323233    

The lost season complicates things significantly, though. When we looked before at your predictions (and any good ones, really), you nail some things, but you also miss significantly on others. Yale in 2019-2020 significantly outperformed your expectations (and everyone else’s). But that performance becomes a primary factor in evaluating 2021. Taking a year away detracts a lot from what we can say about 2022.

For a team like Harvard, for example, we would have had a lot more information regarding whether the recruiting gap manifested in oncourt performance. They could have struggled as an inexperienced team in 2021. They also could have performed like the Fab Five and killed everyone right off the bat. Either of those results (or even the more likely in between) would be a lot more information about what we will see in 2022. Instead, we get a blank page.

For Penn, most of us expected a drop, and perhaps a significant one. But 2021 would have given us a lot of information as to whether P38 could be right about MLL, among other things. There was a chance (perhaps a small one) that Penn just kept chugging along in the top 4, and if they did, we’d know a lot more about 2022.

The high mark for both of those teams is high enough that, in combination with a strong Yale team and potential at Brown, the league could have been better than expected in 2021. Perhaps it is unlikely, but I don’t think we know enough to be sure. And that full year without info kind of doubles what is already an imperfect view of what will really happen in 2022.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
04-16-21 01:25 PM - Post#323253    

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 383106492...

Unsurprisingly, Cornell's Jimmy Boeheim will be playing for his dad at Syracuse next season
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
04-16-21 07:35 PM - Post#323267    

I tend to agree with you that the IL will have a rough non-conference in 2021. Anyone who has played basketball at a very competitive level understands the impact of not playing BB for an extended period of time besides the significant loss of talent. Boeheim is just the latest talent casualty hit for the league. He may well get some significant playing time at Syracuse.

I suspect that Yale will still be a very competitive team partially due to Swain but more so based on Coach Jones. Harvard should be very competitive in league play but not sure how Yale and Harvard will perform in non-conference play -- have my doubts but hopefully Il teams somehow step up.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4911
04-17-21 05:33 AM - Post#323274    

Let’s have some unreasonable homer optimism. Princeton is going to be better than expected, despite the painful lost year with Schweiger. Evbuomwan will play big, Langborg and Freiburg and Wright will light it up, and one of the freshmen will turn out to be good right away. Johns will get his confidence back and depth will be sufficient. Meanwhile Llewelyn will reach the heights of leadership and two-way production toward which he has been building.

After this last horrible year, for once hope is a plan.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-20-21 10:02 PM - Post#323429    

Men
Transferred
Jimmy Boeheim (Cornell): Syracuse

Entered Transfer Portal
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Bryan Knapp (Cornell)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Returning
EJ Perry (Brown) - taking year off, returning in 2021-2022
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - staying at Yale for grad school, returning for 2021-2022

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
Madison Pack (Columbia): Western Carolina

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-27-21 09:38 AM - Post#323624    

Cornell's Bryan Knapp will head to GW next year.

https://twitter.com/bpkbaseball/status/13 868059456...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-27-21 09:46 AM - Post#323625    

Men
Transferred
Bryan Knapp (Cornell): George Washington

Entered Transfer Portal
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)
Riley Voss (Cornell)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-28-21 10:57 AM - Post#323679    

Riley Voss (Cornell) will head to Wright State.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-28-21 11:00 AM - Post#323680    

Men
Transferred
Riley Voss (Cornell): Wright State

Entered Transfer Portal
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn)

Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning

20Penn14
Senior
Posts 364
04-28-21 09:14 PM - Post#323723    

Jarrod Simmons to Hofstra

https://twitter.com/jsimmo4/status/138755 166623758...

Jarrod Simmons
@jsimmo4
Blessed to announce I’ve committed to Hofstra for my grad year! @HofstraMBB
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-28-21 10:15 PM - Post#323727    

A Penn Today feature on the anti-racism work being led by Jelani Williams and Michae Jones.

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/student-athletes -...

On the basketball related part of the article, Williams is listed as a junior and is extending his academic program to make himself eligible to play next season.

Jones will be graduating and starting a new position as a research coordinator at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in June.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-28-21 10:21 PM - Post#323729    

Men
Transferred
Jarrod Simmons (Penn): Hofstra

Entered Transfer Portal
Luke Bolster (Columbia)
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Jake Klores (Columbia)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)

Returning
Jelani Williams (Penn) - returning in 2021-2022

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning
Michae Jones (Penn) - enrolled; research coordinator at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in June

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-29-21 12:15 PM - Post#323770    

Update on Columbia seniors (thanks to internetter)

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/main/2021/04/29/...

Luke Bolster will stay at Columbia for graduate school and Jake Klores will be joining former Columbia grad Pete Barba in a new sports branding start-up.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
04-29-21 12:22 PM - Post#323771    

Men
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Reed Farley (Harvard)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth)
Jake Shaper (Brown)

Returning
Luke Bolster (Columbia) - staying at Columbia for grad school, returning for 2021-2022

Not Returning
Jake Klores (Columbia) - starting a company to assist college athletes with brands and business partnerships

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning
Michae Jones (Penn) - enrolled; research coordinator at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in June

welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
04-30-21 10:06 AM - Post#323819    

https://twitter.com/eddiemscott/status/13 879281782...

Penn's Eddie Scott to Long Beach State
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3777
04-30-21 12:46 PM - Post#323822    

Isn't that were Ugonna almost ended up?
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
04-30-21 01:26 PM - Post#323825    

Yep that is where he committed first, and my recollection is they wouldn't let him out of his LOI, so that's basically how we got him.
welcometothejungle
Masters Student
Posts 788
05-01-21 10:30 AM - Post#323838    

https://twitter.com/FullTimeHoops1/status /13882151...

Harvard's Reed Farley heading to his hometown team of UC San Diego.

https://twitter.com/CoachDRamCIA/status/1 383607029...

https://twitter.com/CoachDRamCIA/status/1 383607206...

Haven't seen it confirmed elsewhere, but Aaryn Rai's AAU coach has been saying on Twitter that Rai will be returning to Dartmouth
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
05-01-21 12:37 PM - Post#323841    

I haven’t seen it confirmed anywhere either, but that is indeed what I’ve been hearing on Rai.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
05-04-21 08:56 AM - Post#323893    

Any updates on Cho? Any updates on Barry, as mentioned on the Dartmouth board?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
05-04-21 09:20 AM - Post#323894    

Men
Transferred
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth): Temple - played this season (returning to Dartmouth for 2021-2022?)
Reed Farley (Harvard): UC San Diego
Eddie Scott (Penn): Long Beach State (2 years remaining)

Entered Transfer Portal
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Aaryn Rai (Dartmouth) - returning to Dartmouth for 2021-2022?
Jake Shaper (Brown)

Returning
Luke Bolster (Columbia) - staying at Columbia for grad school, returning for 2021-2022

Not Returning
Jake Klores (Columbia) - starting a company to assist college athletes with brands and business partnerships

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning

mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
05-04-21 11:56 AM - Post#323897    

Barry was out of the blue for me at least. Choh remains an open item, as far as I know. Not gone yet.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
05-28-21 01:19 PM - Post#324278    

Dartmouth's Asha Taylor will be transferring to Vanderbilt, where she will play for 2 seasons.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
05-28-21 01:23 PM - Post#324280    

Men
Transferred
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth): Temple - played this season (returning to Dartmouth for 2021-2022?)
Eddie Scott (Penn): Long Beach State (2 years remaining)

Entered Transfer Portal
Tamenang Choh (Brown)
Jake Shaper (Brown)

Returning

Not Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
Asha Taylor (Dartmouth): Vanderbilt - graduating after junior year, has 2 years remaining

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
05-28-21 07:53 PM - Post#324286    

As noted at the Brown board, Tamenang Choh is returning to the school for one more year.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3057
05-28-21 07:57 PM - Post#324287    

Men
Transferred
Eddie Scott (Penn): Long Beach State - 2 years remaining)

Entered Transfer Portal
Jake Shaper (Brown)

Returning
Tamenang Choh (Brown) - staying at Brown for grad school, returning for 2021-2022

Not Returning

Unclear
Mark Jackson (Penn)
Ben Swett (Dartmouth)

Women
Transferred
Asha Taylor (Dartmouth): Vanderbilt - graduating after junior year, has 2 years remaining

Entered Transfer Portal
Maria Guramare (Harvard)
Katie Kinum (Penn)

Returning

Not Returning

mbaprof
Senior
Posts 345
05-28-21 08:36 PM - Post#324289    

Mark jackson is going pro at jp morgan
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3998
05-28-21 09:31 PM - Post#324290    

Jake Shaper is going Providence at Boston Consulting.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.091 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:01 PM