Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Possible Candidates for Bison Head Coach
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-01-23 12:41 AM - Post#352762    

Like many Bison fans, I hope that a change is coming in the very near future. Anticipating what seems to be an easy decision for Jermaine Truax, here is a list I created last year. I haven't updated the bios yet for 2023 info, except for the six new names at the bottom part. Everyone else on the list is still at the same place and has had continued success.

D3 COACHES (Bio info from last year):
- Kevin App – in his 8th season as HC at Williams. Overall record there of 122-55. was assistant at Army under Zach Spiker prior to that, following assistant jobs at Cornell and Williams (under Mike Maker). Played for Cornell, graduating in 2007. Age 37.
- Josh Loeffler – in his 5th season as HC at Johns Hopkins. Overall record of 75-19. Coached Jesse Flannery. Was assistant at Loyola (MD) for four years before that, which followed assistant jobs at Rutgers (DOBO), Lafayette (4 yrs), and Williams (under DP) – plus two years as HC at Stevens. Played for Swarthmore, graduating in 2003. Age 41.
- Landry Kosmalski – In his 10th season as HC at Swarthmore. Overall record there of 164-75, including 137-26 in last six years. Swarthmore was 25-99 in the five seasons before he took over. Was a five-year assistant at Davidson over two tenures plus coached overseas. Played for Davidson, graduating in 2004. Age 43.
- Josh Merkel – Nathan Davis’ successor at Randolph-Macon, now in his 7th season. Was also HC at Salisbury before that. After going 13-14 in his first season at RMC, was 100-23 thereafter. Was 33-1 and won 2022 national D3 championship. Prior to his HC jobs, he assisted four years at Eastern Kentucky (Jeff Neubauer) and one at RMC (ND). Played for Salisbury, graduating in 2001. Age 43
- Matt Logie – In his 3rd season at D3 Point Loma in San Diego. Has 40-16 record, after going 174-35 in eight years at D3 Whitworth University. Got to five straight NCAA Regionals at Whitworth. Not sure if he and his wife have any interest in leaving the West Coast. Was a Lehigh assistant and Associate Head Coach for six years plus a year as DOBO. Played for Lehigh, scoring 1524 points, and graduated in 2003. Age 41.
- Kevin Bettencourt – In his 8th season at Endicott in Massachusetts. Previously was assistant at Bentley for six years and Salem State for one year. Overall record at D3 Endicott of 133-55. Age 38.
- Antoni Wyche – In his first season as Notre Dame assistant. Was assistant at Siena for two years and at Lehigh for ten. Played for Notre Dame, graduating in 1999. From the Albany area. Age 44.

ASSISTANT COACHES (Bio info from last year):
- John Griffin – Associate HC at St. Joes. Previously was Assistant at Rider, Bucknell, and St. Joes. Previously worked for Indiana Pacers. Bucknell grad in 2007. Energetic and really connected with the fans during Bucknell tenure. Age 36.
- Jamal Brunt – Associate Head Coach at VCU. Previously was assistant and Associate Head Coach at Richmond for eight years, assistant at Miami for three years, and is in his fourth year as VCU assistant. Started his coaching career for two years as assistant at Randolph-Macon, which is his alma mater. Age 41.
- Nat Graham – Associate Head Coach at Penn. In his 8th year at Penn. Previously was assistant for four years at Boston College and five years at Cornell. Also coached in Canada for two years. Graduated from Penn in 1997. Age 47.
- Duane Simpkins – Has been assistant at GMU for past seven years. Prior to that, was assistant at UNCG for three years. Played overseas for a number of years after graduating from Maryland. Age 47.

OTHERS (Bio info from last year):
- Mark Prosser – In his first year as HC at Winthrop, after three years as HC at Western Carolina. Although Bucknell should be a better job than Winthrop, I don’t think he would be interested at this point. Age 42.
- Dave Paulsen – Fordham Assistant. Unlikely to get offered anything higher than a mid-major if he still is interested in coaching. Rumored to have interviewed for Fordham and Lafayette jobs this past spring. Can he recruit without Dane Fischer and Aaron Kelly? Age 57.

NEW ADDITIONS (with info through Feb. 2023):
- Jamion Christian – was fired by GWU in 2022 after three unsuccessful seasons. Prior to that he did well in one year at Siena and six years at Mt. St. Mary’s. Started coaching career as two-year DOBO under Flannery at Bucknell. Was assistant at W&M and VCU. Friend of Nathan Davis. Age 40.
- Bill Courtney – current Associate Head Coach at Miami. Was relatively unsuccessful as HC for six years at Cornell. Has also been assistant at at American (1995-96), Bowling Green (1996-97), George Mason (1997-2005), Providence (2005-06), Virginia (2006-09), Virginia Tech (2009-10) and DePaul (2017-19). Doubtful he would be interested in the Bucknell job. Age 54.
- Dane Fischer – Current HC at W&M. long-time assistant under Paulsen at Bucknell and GMU. Also an assistant at Rider. Has been HC at W&M for past four years with mediocre results, so job could be in jeopardy. Known as a great recruiter at Bucknell. Age 43.
- Aaron Kelly – HC at Catholic University. Assistant to Paulsen at Williams, Bucknell and GMU. HC at his alma mater, Catholic U, for last four years. Inherited a mediocre program but has gone 39-11 the past two years. Age 39.
- John Krikorian - HC last 11 years at D3 Christopher Newport in Norfolk area. Overall record of 257-62. Succeeded CJ Woollum, Charlie's brother at CMU. Was an assistant at Penn (his alma mater), Lafayette, and Navy, also a HC at Merchant Marine Academy. age 49.
- John Gallagher - HC at Hartford for 12 years before leaving when Hartford abandoned D1. Former assistant at La Salle, Lafayette, and Penn. Played at St. Joes. Took over a bad program with little institutional support. Eventually got the program turned around and went 82-73 over his last five years. Was a well-regarded coach who was too loyal to Hartford. Age 45.

Comments? New additions?

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-01-23 07:37 AM - Post#352763    

Quite a list. What about Carl Danzig at Scranton? May be too old at this point.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-01-23 09:50 AM - Post#352767    

At this point I’d take Ted Lasso.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-01-23 11:04 AM - Post#352777    

• MrPhillie Said:
Quite a list. What about Carl Danzig at Scranton? May be too old at this point.

Yeah, I probably should’ve included him. He is 58 years old FWIW.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
03-01-23 12:01 PM - Post#352779    

Five of the last 6 Bucknell MBB hires have come from Division III. Given all the changes in Division I the last few years, I just don't see how they can go that route again. NIL and the transfer portal have changed all of the conversations. Even the schools not using them need to be versed in them to manage their own rosters.
Maryland Bison
Freshman
Posts 57
03-01-23 04:45 PM - Post#352801    

Looks like One Herd Day is at the end of March. You'd think that Bucknell would want Davis gone before then, if they want any money from Basketball supporters.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-01-23 04:53 PM - Post#352804    

I was thinking that as well. I’m afraid that if a decision isn’t announced within a week, then no change is coming. Also makes sense to consider the changes in DI sports such as transfers and NIL. Recruiting is a different game. Keeping players is a different game. With this in mind, I’d prefer a DI assistant, with Griffin given strongest consideration.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-01-23 05:01 PM - Post#352809    

• Maryland Bison Said:
Looks like One Herd Day is at the end of March. You'd think that Bucknell would want Davis gone before then, if they want any money from Basketball supporters.

If he is still coaching, I will again donate to MBB. But it will be exactly $1.

HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-01-23 09:42 PM - Post#352832    

Don't care as much for past record as ability to recruit. One or two solid players, a big and a point guard, could be foundation for great Patriot League team.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-01-23 10:01 PM - Post#352835    

I have a feeling Mike Anderson St.Johns is going to be let go. If that's the case, we could snatch him up.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-01-23 10:32 PM - Post#352836    

I don’t think Davis will be sacked and he’s definitely lobbying to return because for $313,000 a year, it’s easy to sit with your arms crossed.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-01-23 11:17 PM - Post#352837    

• HuskyColonial Said:
I don’t think Davis will be sacked and he’s definitely lobbying to return because for $313,000 a year, it’s easy to sit with your arms crossed.

If he is not sacked, then Jermaine Truax should be - - for gross malfeasance.

baudolino
Masters Student
Posts 552
baudolino
03-02-23 05:48 PM - Post#352855    

And there it is:

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2023/3/2/coachin g-c...
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-02-23 05:53 PM - Post#352858    

Hallelujah. Nothing against Nathan the human but Nathan the coach simply could not continue to be HC at Bucknell. I look forward to a positive change and hope for a brighter future for men’s basketball. Renewal of season tickets is in our future.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-02-23 06:45 PM - Post#352866    

Season Ticket sales will double unless Paul Harrison is [romoted

BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-03-23 03:47 PM - Post#352957    

137, thanks a lot for putting together that big list, which made for interesting reading, with names/situations I wasn't familiar with.

While Bucknell's practice has been to hire current head coaches, I could see Truax doing something different, because one particular assistant coach candidate brings so much to the table -- and that's John Griffin.

Griffin's resume starts with being on the court for Bucknell's greatest wins. He's the epitome of a fiery competitor, and will return visible passion and energy to the Bucknell sideline.

In addition to pursuing league championships, I think we can count on him to aggressively schedule major conference opponents hunting for upsets like the many he helped achieve as a player.

As others here have noted, Griffin also has a great personality and a knack for connecting with fans, which seems certain to be a key consideration in this hire.

Except for Paulsen, other candidates would be starting from scratch in that regard, while Griffin would come in with an established community rapport, to include familiarity with Bucknell's administration and processes.

On the recruiting front, Griffin has very deep ties across the great basketball city that is his native Philadelphia.

His stint as associate head coach at St Joe's has given him experience in elevating a troubled program. While that's still a work in progress, it has indeed been progress: From 6-26 (.188) in the first year to 5-15 (.250), 11-19 (.367) and now 14-16 (.467).

A Flannery disciple and friend, I imagine Griffin will also tout his access to Flannery's knowledge and experience as he sets out to rebuild the Bison program.

Finally, for those who are making the high-pressure hiring decision, Griffin has the benefit of being a pick guaranteed to be very popular among fans.

Given all that, I could see Truax varying from the "head-coach-only" pattern, but I'd think only for Griffin.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-03-23 03:50 PM - Post#352958    

I agree 100%. I hope you have written Jermaine Truax with all of those thoughts. As for DP, I think he would also be starting from scratch with the fans because he never really developed much rapport with them. That was left to Dane and Aaron.

DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
03-03-23 04:41 PM - Post#352963    

While I totally agree about John Griffin, I respectfully disagree re Dave Paulsen. He had a great rapport with local fans, alums, faculty, and administration. Never heard any negative comments about his personality from all the above. I rate DP and JG evenly in terms of likeability. Either would be an extremely popular hire.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-03-23 05:01 PM - Post#352965    

Like DrBison, I also found Coach Paulsen to be very personable, and a funny guy too...most recently when we happened to cross paths outside the 2018 Final Four in San Antonio.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-03-23 05:34 PM - Post#352968    

• DrBison Said:
While I totally agree about John Griffin, I respectfully disagree re Dave Paulsen. He had a great rapport with local fans, alums, faculty, and administration. Never heard any negative comments about his personality from all the above. I rate DP and JG evenly in terms of likeability. Either would be an extremely popular hire.

I know for a fact that some longtime Bison fans had complaints about DP, some of which went to John Hardt. The criticism was largely due to him never acknowledging the fans or thanking them, even when they went out of the way to support the team on the road. Much different from Flannery. However DP was a lot better in this regard than ND.

In any event, I think what Bucknell needs now - with the programs having descended into a black hole - is a coach with a lot of energy and passion. One who can sell recruits on a dynamic vision of how this program is going to quickly turn around. The landscape is a lot different now than when ND or DP or even PF got the job.

bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
03-03-23 07:43 PM - Post#352975    

137 I remember when DP was just starting out at Bucknell him saying that coach Cotton was the best shooter on the team. That team was not very talented. I also had some very good interaction with DP both at Bucknell and also out in the town of Lewisburg. I ran into Davis a few times and was totally dissed. The personality of a rock. I also had very good interaction with Aaron Kelly.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-03-23 08:35 PM - Post#352979    

I agree totally with BisonRoadWarrior. I sincerely hope Griffin is the top candidate. John Griffin obviously loves Bucknell and I agree that he will give the energy, passion, and recruiting to help Bucknell get back to where they belong. I’m not even sure who I would choose second, but I really hope John’s first HC job is in Lewisburg. Also, I think DP was relatively good with fans and others. I recall I wrote a story for a local paper on Colin Klebon. He was extremely gracious of his time.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-06-23 12:41 AM - Post#353250    

Brutal finish to Dane Fischer's fourth season (13-20, 7-11) at William & Mary today. Top-seed Hofstra led by a jarring 51-14 score at halftime and won 94-46. Dane has one year left on his contract.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-06-23 12:47 AM - Post#353251    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

While Bucknell's practice has been to hire current head coaches, I could see Truax doing something different, because one particular assistant coach candidate brings so much to the table -- and that's John Griffin.

…I could see Truax varying from the "head-coach-only" pattern, but I'd think only for Griffin.

I hope
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-06-23 01:55 PM - Post#353286    

In case anyone else was wondering how long the hiring process may take, news of Paulsen’s move to George Mason broke on March 30, 2015 and the hiring of Davis was announced 20 days later, on April 19 (a Sunday).

Two factors could accelerate things a little this time: Truax having already anticipated that a change was coming, and extra urgency to get the next coach into the transfer portal game.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-06-23 05:34 PM - Post#353309    

Good points. I have to believe they anticipated this change and already had a short list of potential candidates. I am excited about Bucknell men’s basketball for the first time in at least 3-4 years.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
03-06-23 08:55 PM - Post#353320    

Agreed Paulie. I’m disappointed in some ways. Nathan Davis is dead to Bucknell. It’s a sad thing too.
river rat
Sophomore
Posts 187
03-07-23 02:25 AM - Post#353335    

"Two factors could accelerate things a little this time: Truax having already anticipated that a change was coming, and extra urgency to get the next coach into the transfer portal game."

Any good AD should keep a list of possible replacements they have researched in case something happens, and in this case, Truax knew this was a likely scenario for at least a couple of years, so he better have a list and plan of action!

river rat
Sophomore
Posts 187
03-07-23 03:07 AM - Post#353337    

Jamal Brunt, the VCU assistant featured in 137's database, certainly has an impressive coaching tree. He has coached for three successful coaches at Richmond, Miami and VCU. Would he be content in Lewisburg?
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
03-07-23 10:58 AM - Post#353342    

We’re clearly going to have several excellent candidates to choose from. My concern is that most of them probably look at Bucknell as a stepping stone. The sooner they turn the program around, the sooner they can leave, and we have to do it all over again. That’s the one advantage Griffin might have, as I’d like to hope there’s a better chance that he’d stick around even if he’s successful. Who knows. As Yoda said, hard to see, the future is.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-07-23 12:36 PM - Post#353346    

Mike Hugar of Bowling Green was fired unceremoniously yesterday. His record wasn't stellar, but has to be on Truax's radar as Truax was assistant AD there for 5 years. I don't think he'd be a good fit though.
dirtynine
Sophomore
Posts 127
03-07-23 12:37 PM - Post#353347    

How about Luke Murray, assistant at UConn and previously an assistant coach / recruiting coordinator at Louisville. Experience on staff at Xavier, Rhode Island, Towson, Wagner and Arizona. Also happens to be Bill Murray's kid, too, which could be a fun wildcard.
JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
03-07-23 01:23 PM - Post#353348    

Murray is an interesting candidate.

I think he has his sights set higher than the PL for a HC job.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-07-23 08:07 PM - Post#353401    

This Blog has an interesting list of possible Bucknell coaches. Mostly assistants and Charles Lee was included. The bloggers are a little monotone but the list is interesting.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/lets-speculate-pot...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-07-23 08:57 PM - Post#353407    

• Paulie777 Said:
This Blog has an interesting list of possible Bucknell coaches. Mostly assistants and Charles Lee was included. The bloggers are a little monotone but the list is interesting.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/lets-speculate-pot...

I think a few of the names on their list are non-starters. And to include Charles Lee is absurd, since he’s already making more than twice as much as he would as a Bucknell head coach and probably will get an NBA HC job soon. Also they are missing several of the names likely to be at the top of the Bucknell list.

HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-08-23 08:05 AM - Post#353433    

You bring up an interesting point. Recruiting for a D1 program is different than D3. Having been surrounded by successful people and learning their tactics and what works has benefit.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-08-23 10:06 PM - Post#353521    

Jim Boeheim is now available,
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-09-23 10:54 AM - Post#353555    

Some insiders are saying Boeheim didn't resign and was pushed a little by Syracuse to resign. It's possible he could be somewhere else next year.

Here's a list of Universities in need of a coach at this point, Giving credit to CBSSports.com for the info: Texas, Syracuse (Autry), Notre Dame, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, (Beard?), Army, Austin Peay, Bowling Green, Bucknell, Green Bay, High Point, Idaho, Manhatten (Paulson?), N.J. Tech, McNeese St., New Mexico State, North Carolina A&T, Wofford, UT Arlington.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
03-09-23 07:49 PM - Post#353608    

I watched Boeheim’s press conference. He made it clear that his leaving was the university’s decision, not his.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-09-23 08:25 PM - Post#353611    

I have been a bit of a Syracuse fan for most of my life but I think it was fine for Jim to move on. Unfortunately, he didn’t feel that way.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-09-23 09:58 PM - Post#353618    

Unrelated, but Langel's name has surfaced as a candidate for the Notre Dame job. That would be a big jump.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-09-23 09:59 PM - Post#353620    

Wow…I think he should definitely get a bigger job if he seeks one bit that would be big.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-09-23 11:40 PM - Post#353625    

TV time tonight on USA Network for past and future(?) Bison coaches in the A10 tourney. St Joe Asst Griffin in quarterfinal loss to Dayton ( game was a 3 point game with under 20 seconds to go). Then in the last quarterfinal of the day Asst coach Dave Paulsen’s animated style could be observed exhorting the Fordham Rams to victory over LaSalle ( a 4 point game with under 20 seconds).
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-10-23 11:44 AM - Post#353636    

Three names that have popped up:

1. Gerry McNamara - With Boeheim being pushed out at Syracuse and McNamara not being selected as his successor, he is reportedly interested in a new spot. He was an assistant at Syracuse for the past dozen years and, of course, started at PG for them for four years. A big negative is that he has only been an assistant under one head coach and that team played zone 99% of the time. Also has never recruited high academic players.

2. George Halcovage has been a Villanova assistant coach for the past six seasons, including associate head coach recently. Prior to that he played a couple years at Babson and had various non-coaching roles at Nova. Like McNamara he has not recruited high academic players.

3. Will Brown - was the long-time HC at Albany, who had a number of good years before ending his run with three bad ones and a termination. Coached a low-level pro team in 2021-22 and then apparently did not coach this past season. Was a successful juco coach 20 years ago. Has never had to recruit high academic players.

I don't see Halcovage or Brown as likely candidates, even though Jay Wright may lobby for his old assistant. McNamara, due to his name recognition and being a Scranton native, might generate more interest, although he would not be my top choice.

DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
03-10-23 11:59 AM - Post#353639    

Halcovage is from Pottsville, as was PF!
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-10-23 01:34 PM - Post#353646    

Interesting. I’m sure McNamara isn’t happy about not getting the Syracuse gig. And yes, he is beloved in NE PA and has some name recognition all over that could help with recruiting. He seems like he’d have energy and be able to teach and motivate players. All that said, I’d still prefer Griffin.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-10-23 04:39 PM - Post#353657    

Cam Ayers hasn't been mentioned, but probably doesn't have enough experience. Where is Bryson Johnson these days? He also doesn't have a ton of experience, though more than Cam. Either, or both, would make good assistants though.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-10-23 05:07 PM - Post#353661    

Bryson Johnson is an assistant at Vermont
https://uvmathletics.com/sports/mens-basketbal l/ro...
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-10-23 05:14 PM - Post#353662    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Bryson Johnson is an assistant at Vermont
https://uvmathletics.com/sports/mens-basketbal l/ro...

He's learning from one of the best. I think UVM won their 7th or 8th straight AE regular season championship this year.
bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
03-11-23 08:00 PM - Post#353761    

Question: Who, besides Truax, will be involved in the search? Flannery, maybe? Would it be reasonable to invite Jay Wright to participate? Do we have a way to find out who’s involved? Hopefully these aren’t dumb questions. I honestly don’t know how this works.
DrBison
Junior
Posts 244
03-11-23 08:27 PM - Post#353763    

Have heard there is no search firm or search committee. Apparently Truax is making the selection. Not sure that is 100% reliable information. but that’s the local talk. I imagine he is getting input from many sources such as Jay Wright and Pat Flannery.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-12-23 12:14 AM - Post#353809    

It's extremely brief, but here's Jermaine Truax after WNEP asked about the qualities he's looking for in a coach:
https://youtu.be/a0VScb9bvKo
res
Masters Student
Posts 839
03-12-23 01:02 PM - Post#353854    

Not a lot to go on, brw, but interesting nonetheless. I infer from what he says that he is not looking for a "seasoned" former head coach or someone up in years. And from his remarks on being able to relate to today's players, it means he's looking for an antithesis to the Nathan Davis style. Doesn't point to a particular candidate, but it would seem to rule some people out.

Bison89
Professor
Posts 5370
Bison89
03-12-23 03:37 PM - Post#353902    

I really don't know much about John Griffin's coaching style, but he certainly was competitive as a player. Also, he comes from a coaching lineage. I would have a tough time finding fault with hiring him.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-13-23 09:15 AM - Post#354026    

I'll be very interested in the many Patriot League coaching searches this year. Bucknell's history of top teams, alumni and student support, and upward mobility of coaches should serve it well. On the other side of the ledger, it's become relatively easy for power schools to cherry pick better players via transfers. Bucknell in particular, if its serious about maintaining its athletic standing, needs to solve its 5th year issue(s) and begin to get serious about using the transfer portal.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
03-13-23 06:54 PM - Post#354094    

Via Fox's John Fanta on Twitter:

"Villanova associate head coach George Halcovage is a prime candidate for the Bucknell head coaching vacancy, sources tell Fox Sports.

Halcovage has spent the last 15 seasons as a staff member with the Wildcats."

You never know if such "sources" are people trying to help a coach's campaign for a job. Here, "prime candidate" could mean he has a strong resume, not necessarily that he's an actual finalist.

https://villanova.com/staff-directory/georg e-halco...
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-13-23 07:39 PM - Post#354097    

I think Halcovage would be great here at Bucknell. I think Villanova made an error in choosing Kyle Neptune over Halcovage for their head coach so their loss could be our gain. Neptune is a .500 coach at best and Halcovage is ready to take the reins and show he is a winner. One thing is certain, Halcovage will be a head coach somewhere next year, at Bucknell or another University. We may be playing against him in the Patriot League next year.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-13-23 09:18 PM - Post#354110    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

You never know if such "sources" are people trying to help a coach's campaign for a job. Here, "prime candidate" could mean he has a strong resume, not necessarily that he's an actual finalist.

https://villanova.com/staff-directory/georg e-halco...

Yes, I think there is a lot of this going on with Halcovage. While I wouldn’t hate him being hired as coach, I would much rather have a John Griffin. Halcovage has never left Villanova since he graduated from college. He thus has no experience recruiting players with higher academics and has never had any involvement with mid-majors.

When it comes right down to it, Gerry McNamara probably has a more compelling résumé.

bison75
Masters Student
Posts 487
03-13-23 10:02 PM - Post#354118    

Wonder if Jay Wright is lobbying for Halcovage. Certainly wouldn’t surprise me.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-14-23 03:36 PM - Post#354169    

Neptune is reported to make $4.4M. Wright made over $6.4M. I wonder what Halcovage is currently making? Curious what salary range some of our more connected posters think is in play for the Bison job.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-14-23 05:24 PM - Post#354177    

• HoleinOne Said:
Neptune is reported to make $4.4M. Wright made over $6.4M. I wonder what Halcovage is currently making? Curious what salary range some of our more connected posters think is in play for the Bison job.

ND two years ago made about $315,000 in W2 compensation and almost $60,000 in benefits/retirement. Given how bad the last few years were, I doubt his compensation changed much. He did not receive any new contract.

Based on that, I doubt Bucknell would go higher than $350,000 in W-2 salary for a new coach and it might well be less than that.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-14-23 05:46 PM - Post#354180    

I’m guessing Halvovagevis already making more than that!
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-14-23 05:59 PM - Post#354181    

Hold the phone…so Wright, after 21 years as HC, leading his teams to four Final Fours and two National Championships, one of the biggest names in coaching.. was making $6.4 and Neptune, a coach with one year of HC experience and zero wins at Villanova is making $4.4???? That would immediately put Neptune as a top 7 paid coach. Something seems wrong.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
03-14-23 09:44 PM - Post#354194    

You are correct in assessing that Neptune is now one of the top 10 paid men's college basketball coaches. Numerous sources have pegged his salary at Villanova at $4.4M. Could be higher with endorsements. Some writers had commented that Wright had one of the top 3 salaries in college. As an FYI, most Atlantic 10 basketball coaches including Fordham, where Neptune coached for a year, earn in the $800K-$1.2M+ range per year. Knowing these numbers and what they likely pay their assistants may help narrow down Bucknell's candidate list.
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
03-14-23 11:25 PM - Post#354210    

From Basketball Insiders:

1. ???John Calipari, Kentucky - $8.1 Million
2. ???Bill Self, Kansas - $6 Million
3. ???Tom Izzo, Michigan State - $5.7 Million
4. ???Rick Barnes, Tennessee - $5.45 Million
5. ???Bruce Pearl, Auburn - $5.4 Million
6. ???Tony Bennett, Virginia - $4.83 Million
7. ???Brad Underwood, Illinois - $4.6 Million
8. ???Bob Huggins, West Virginia - $4.2?Million
9. ???Mick Cronin, UCLA - $4.1 Million
10. ????Buzz Williams, Texas A&M - $4.1 Million
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
03-14-23 11:31 PM - Post#354211    

Regarding Bucknell’s salary, it is sufficient to get any of the names mentioned in this thread, Halcovage included.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-15-23 09:26 AM - Post#354228    

You get what you pay for. Liberty 62, Villanova 57.

BTW, Pickell is in for 4.25 million at Ruthers unti; 2030-31 buys you Hofstra 88 Rutgers 86.

In the Not Important Tornament, of course.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-16-23 08:31 PM - Post#354384    

Can take McNamara out of consideration. Per cuse.com…

Assistant men's basketball coach Gerry McNamara '06 has been promoted to associate head coach at his alma mater, according to the Syracuse University Athletics Department.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-16-23 11:20 PM - Post#354415    

Do not expect he is a serious candidate for the Bison job, but I don’t see how becoming Syracuse Associate Head Coach eliminates him.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-18-23 08:23 AM - Post#354515    

A little aside, but it was a great moment in the NCAA tournament when FDU beat Purdue. Here's a lttle bio of the first year coach Anderson Tobin. I guess my point is that there are coaches out there that are successful and hopefully we get one.
In another universe (not ours), Nate Davis was fired a year earlier, The AD offered Tobin the job, and after deliberations between FDU and Bucknell, he chooses Bucknell.

Anderson Tobin
209-62 record (.771 winning percentage)
His Spartans bolstered the ECC Player of the Year in three-consecutive seasons (2016, 2017, 2018)
Coached the ECC Rookie of the Year four times (2014, 2015, 2016, 2019)
Turned STAC into a perennial top-25 program in Division II, inheriting a team that won just five games prior to his hire to 15 wins in his first campaign
In his final five seasons, STAC finished first among New York NCAA Division I and II schools in wins and winning percentage (131 victories, .814 winning percentage), a list that includes Buffalo, Iona, Hofstra, St. John's (N.Y.), Stony Brook and Syracuse
Seven-straight NCAA tournament appearances, most recently advancing to the 2021-22 NCAA Division II Men's Basketball East Region Final
Six ECC tournament titles (2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022)
Appeared in seven of the last eight ECC tournament championship games
NoMoney89
Freshman
Posts 89
03-18-23 09:51 AM - Post#354523    

One minor correction…
It’s Tobin Anderson, not Anderson Tobin.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-18-23 10:14 AM - Post#354528    

Just a quick reply regarding McNamara, I think it absolutely impacts whatever interest he had in Bucknell and vice versa. First, he probably received a pay increase that is far more than what Bucknell could offer. Second, he stands a good chance to receive higher level offers in the future of Syracuse is successful over the next few years.
Doktore K
Masters Student
Posts 473
03-18-23 10:26 AM - Post#354529    

I follow a lot of college basketball but can someone define STAC?

Where was he coaching before FDU?

I did hear that he brought in a bunch of transfers into FDU, which was critical to the team’s quick turnaround. Hopefully JT and the Bucknell Administration are waking up to the new reality of D1 basketball and what it takes to get off the bottom of the PL. We look forward to a HC announcement soon but also to new policies and strategies on transfers and 5th year players!

Richmond, Colgate, Lehigh and Nova are all doing it well so why not Bucknell? Find a way and let’s go.

I’m talking football and basketball. Tired of this last place stuff.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-18-23 12:05 PM - Post#354536    

Ok, so not mentioned much, if at all, in all of the 16 vs 1 commentary, is the fact that Purdue was not just a 1, they were THE 1, the top ranked team in the tourney. And FDU was not just a 16 , but a PIG survivor that was in the tourney only because the real winner in their league (Merrimack) was ineligible because of an NCAA rule regarding teams moving up in division. So maybe a 17 or 18. beats a 1A, lol.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-18-23 12:28 PM - Post#354537    

To go one step further, don’t forget Merrimack, who beat FDU for their league championship, lost to the Bison by six points earlier in the year.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-18-23 03:24 PM - Post#354546    

Alabama is the overall #1 seed.
NoMoney89
Freshman
Posts 89
03-20-23 07:26 AM - Post#354763    

Couple of things….

1) STAC is Saint Thomas Aquinas College, a small (2,800 students, both undergrad and graduate programs) about 15 miles north of NYC in Rockland County NY. Division II sports

2) Despite what the mainstream media may be saying about FDU’s upset over “top seed” Purdue, Purdue was actually seeded 4th in the 1-68 seeding with FDU at 68. Doesn’t necessarily make sense but that’s what the committee did.
adcs2
Freshman
Posts 50
03-20-23 11:46 AM - Post#354778    

Actually it does make sense. FDU may have been seeded last, but they beat the #65 seed Texas Southern in the play-in game. Since the brackets are pre-determined and not reseeded, Purdue got to play lowest seeded team because FDU "upset" Texas Southern.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-20-23 04:46 PM - Post#354798    

Ok, nuf said, FDU came out in the 2nd half and looked for a minute like they would bury FAU, but nothing doing. So now what the hell is going wrong on with the Bison Coach search. We sre 28 days past the ND release.,Somebody must have heard something about what is happening What gives?
KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
03-20-23 05:26 PM - Post#354804    

18 days. unlike us many of the potential candidates teams are just finishing their seasons in the last week.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-20-23 06:02 PM - Post#354805    

Did not mean to say “wrong” in above post. Shoul say “on”
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-20-23 06:47 PM - Post#354808    

Here is what past timelines have been for hiring coaches:

MEN'S BASKETBALL:

1. Flannery retires 3/30. Paulsen hired 4/19. 20 days. (Hardt)

2. Paulsen leaves 4/18. Davis hired 5/20. 32 days. (Hardt)

3. Davis exits 3/2. 18 days thus far. (Truax)

Note that there was likely less urgency when Davis was hired. Paulsen left so late in the cycle that most jobs had already been filled by late April/early May.

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL:

Roussell leaves 4/2. Woodruff hired 4/25. 23 days. (Truax)

FOOTBALL:

Susan "steps down" 1/14. Cecchini hired 2/6. 23 days. (Truax)

- - - - -

Based on the above, I think 21-23 days would be a reasonable timeline estimate, which would theoretically mean a decision between March 23rd and March 25th.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-20-23 08:06 PM - Post#354812    

Given his message to supporters and fans last year, I think it is reasonable to assume that Truax has been planning this change on some level for months. Well, should’ve been planning. I want this to be a well thought out decision, but given what was reasonably known for a long time, I can’t see it taking longer than historical timelines.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-20-23 08:12 PM - Post#354813    

It can if candidates turn it down, or decline to interview. More likely now than after Paulsen, wouldn't you think?

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-21-23 08:53 AM - Post#354838    

My post did not mean to suggest that it is taking too long for the new coach hire. Actually, I was meaning that after 18, now 19 days Don ‘t we have any juicy rimors flying around that our L-burg local members can enliven the board with?
dfisher9
Pre-Frosh
Posts 4
03-21-23 11:52 AM - Post#354843    

• adcs2 Said:
Actually it does make sense. FDU may have been seeded last, but they beat the #65 seed Texas Southern in the play-in game. Since the brackets are pre-determined and not reseeded, Purdue got to play lowest seeded team because FDU "upset" Texas Southern.

It's probably even simpler than that. Purdue was the only #1 seed assigned to a Friday/Sunday site; therefore, they got the winner of the Wednesday first 4 game.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-21-23 12:02 PM - Post#354844    

Hires can’t happen much faster than Iona. Potion leaves Iona for St. John’s and a day later Iona hires Tobin Anderson from Farleigh Dickinson.
JPM
Masters Student
Posts 449
JPM
03-21-23 01:32 PM - Post#354845    

From Matt Norlander on the CBS Sports website:

Bucknell
Out: Nathan Davis

Bucknell split from Davis after eight seasons, which included a 129-155 record and NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2018. Bucknell is arguably the best job in the Patriot League and will be competitively chased.

I'm told it's going to have its coach in place by Wednesday.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-21-23 02:19 PM - Post#354848    

Recent tweets from two sites that track coaching things but have less than perfect credibility:

"Expect George Halcovage to be named the next HC at Bucknell… announcement expected in the next 24 - 48 hours"

"The potential delay @ Bucknell w/ George Halcovage… . . Halcovage had his eyes on Furman if Bob Richey left town."

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-21-23 03:34 PM - Post#354850    

"Coaches database" is saying Halcovage is our head coach. here's one:

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/george-halcovage/

If this is not true, someone needs to check their sources. If it is true, Welcome, George!

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
03-21-23 04:15 PM - Post#354853    

Jeff Goodman is reporting John Griffin.
NoMoney89
Freshman
Posts 89
03-21-23 04:20 PM - Post#354854    

It is John Griffin III!!

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-21-23 04:21 PM - Post#354856    

It's official Welcome John Griffin
https://bucknellbison.com/news/2023/3/21/mens-b ask...

Doktore K
Masters Student
Posts 473
03-21-23 06:43 PM - Post#354868    

Just checked ND’s overall record with the Bison and it’s 129-115 not 155 losses. Still bad. Four straight losing seasons and the last 3 of 4 years with 20 or more losses. Ugly.

We will be back. Welcome back John Griffin!

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.397 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:07 PM