Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: @Brown
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 08:14 PM - Post#362586    

First 5 minutes--if Penn can rebound Brown misses, they would be up by 10, but Brown has 4 putbacks already

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-24 08:34 PM - Post#362590    

Absolutely embarrassing. All of it.
mbaprof
Senior
Posts 346
02-02-24 08:50 PM - Post#362595    

14-0 run to close out half
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 08:50 PM - Post#362596    

But a remarkable 14-0 run to take a 3 point lead at halftime
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-24 08:51 PM - Post#362597    

Pretty nice response. Ha. If only they can figure out free throws. 14-0 run to end the half. Holland can be a difference maker.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 09:14 PM - Post#362601    

This team has such giant deficiencies---weak defense, spotty shooting and far too much taking early bad shots, that explains why, despite the individuals with talent, they are losing and losing and losing.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-24 09:34 PM - Post#362606    

It’s awful to watch and dictated by their inability to play man.

Imagine deciding to cut the minutes of Ed Holland this year. That alone is grounds for a coaching change discussion. Unless we’re not privy to something.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 09:41 PM - Post#362608    

About time for Dandy Don to start singing "Turn Out the Lights"

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-24 09:42 PM - Post#362609    

So you cut the lead to 2 with 5 minutes left and Nick at the line for one. The coach decides THAT is the time to put McMullen and Walter back into the game. Got to get the other guys rest!!! Predictably they blow it. What are we doing here?!?? It needs to end. I can’t take much more.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 09:53 PM - Post#362610    

So where is Clark going to transfer to for his post-grad season?
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-24 09:56 PM - Post#362611    

And the game is sealed by the inability to grab a rebound.

Someone want to tell me some positives with this offense? Did Sam Brown or Polonowski get a single open 3 tonight? Even last year we left it up to Dingle to save us time after time. There is nothing there. Just another late close game loss. As per usual. Wake up Alanna.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 09:59 PM - Post#362613    

I switched over to the Yale-Princeton game and not only saw a much better set of teams, but also a sellout with students going nuts. We have the best building but we've lost the students long ago, and now are losing the hardcore fans. Something has to happen.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-24 10:02 PM - Post#362619    

It’s beyond inexcusable. Worse, they don’t care. They have EVERYTHING you need to recruit and win here. Everything. Except for a school that cares.
UPIA1968
PhD Student
Posts 1122
UPIA1968
02-02-24 10:50 PM - Post#362625    

Penn shot 14% from three, gave up 17 assists on 59% two point shooting.

One game behind Harvard who projects to 7 wins, Penn 5. Harvard has one less home game and five games against the Dwarfs. Penn has four games against the Dwarfs. Brown has one less home game and five games against the Dwarfs.

Clearly Clarks loss is a big one. Nice to see Holland play well, although 0-5 from three didn't help. 7-7 from the field with 11 boards.

Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 4008
02-02-24 10:54 PM - Post#362627    

Holland was impressive. Brown can be pretty good! Liilly woke up in the second half.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-02-24 10:54 PM - Post#362628    

Holland is a talent, as is Perkins. But they play with no discipline. They both look to take the shot before passing.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-02-24 10:58 PM - Post#362629    

• Quakers03 Said:
It’s beyond inexcusable. Worse, they don’t care. They have EVERYTHING you need to recruit and win here. Everything. Except for a school that cares.

This is what hurts most: that the students don't care and that the administration doesn't seem to care about winning, either.

Holland, Perkins and Spinoso were the only scorers to hit double figures. Brown didn't make a shot until there was less than a minute left in the game. Polonowski only got one shot, and missed. Walter had one rebound and one foul. Gerhart? One foul.

As bad as the defense was, the lack of offense was also a contributing factor. Brown also outrebounded us by 5.

Tomorrow night in New Haven has all the makings of a bloodbath.

Penn90
Masters Student
Posts 575
Penn90
02-02-24 11:48 PM - Post#362635    

I recall recently that P38 was chided for fixating on last year's 17-point blown lead to Princeton. Tonight, Penn was outscored by 12 in the second half. This team fades because it is not talented and not well coached and it knows it, which drains its confidence.

Penn knows it will lose.
Leges sine moribus vanae

weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-03-24 12:08 AM - Post#362637    

• Penn90 Said:
I recall recently that P38 was chided for fixating on last year's 17-point blown lead to Princeton. Tonight, Penn was outscored by 12 in the second half. This team fades because it is not talented and not well coached and it knows it, which drains its confidence.

Penn knows it will lose.

More importantly, the team lacks game experience. Coming into this season, only Slajchert, Spinoso and Smith were core rotation players. Laz got spot minutes.

We have four freshmen and a transfer who are getting playing time, to one degree or another. The coaching staff's substitution patterns aren't helping, in my view. Subbing in three or four players at once doesn't help defensive continuity, whether the team practices that way or not.

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if the team suddenly turns it around over the second half of the conference schedule.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-03-24 08:45 AM - Post#362644    

Can anyone help try and explain his sub decisions with 5 minutes to go? Did he suddenly bring in Reese and Walter to try and buy rest time before the media timeout? Anyone got anything? The second he did that my text messages, with the only friend I have left that cares, started flying.

Speaking of friends, I used to have 6 or so who cared. It’s now 1. Time and again we see how a good sports program enriches student experience and can grow applications. I guess since they don’t need the latter anymore they don’t care about athletics? It’s just so shortsighted. I know the student body has changed a lot but the connection grads feel through sports can bring in a lifetime of donations. Never in a million years did I think I’d ever give up the seats I’ve been sitting in since I was a student and there were enough of us to take up chairbacks too. But sitting in the country’s greatest venue isn’t enough to overcome the apathy on display by this university towards the program.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-03-24 08:53 AM - Post#362645    

• UPIA1968 Said:
Nice to see Holland play well, although 0-5 from three didn't help. 7-7 from the field with 11 boards.

Guess maybe he can do a little more than only score off a good pass? In case anyone forgets, here is the list of Holland’s minutes this year:

16, 16, 14, 19, 17, 12, 11, 15, 6, 7, 9 (vs Houston…lol), 13, 8, 5, 7, 15, 30.

Anyone want to defend him here? How could we all see it but the coach couldn’t?!
nychoops
Junior
Posts 244
02-03-24 09:49 AM - Post#362649    

Would have been nice is staff picked up phone for Nana and offered ..as i mentioned since his HS days all he wanted was Penn.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-03-24 01:29 PM - Post#362663    

• nychoops Said:
Would have been nice is staff picked up phone for Nana and offered ..as i mentioned since his HS days all he wanted was Penn.

Thanks for the insight as also nyc! Funny, I remember being incredulous when you told us that earlier in the season. That’s for me one of the most annoying parts of this loss. We got worked by a really good kid/player who wanted Penn but we chose to ignore. #%$@ brilliant. I still remember following his recruitment (back when I cared enough to follow recruitment closely) and was really hoping Penn would land him, but offer never materialized. I thought we were out recruited but per your insight it turned out it was just recruiting malpractice.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-03-24 03:17 PM - Post#362672    

• Mike Porter Said:
  • nychoops Said:

Thanks for the insight as also nyc! Funny, I remember being incredulous when you told us that earlier in the season. That’s for me one of the most annoying parts of this loss. We got worked by a really good kid/player who wanted Penn but we chose to ignore. #%$@ brilliant. I still remember following his recruitment (back when I cared enough to follow recruitment closely) and was really hoping Penn would land him, but offer never materialized. I thought we were out recruited but per your insight it turned out it was just recruiting malpractice.

Recruiting malpractice = "the player wasn't a system fit".

This is the thing that irritates me most about "system" coaches. They have an absolutely myopic inability to figure out how to adjust their system to accommodate good players who don't necessarily fit the system profile, but bring athleticism the team may be lacking.

Really good coaches find ways to tweak their systems.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-03-24 03:21 PM - Post#362674    

I can’t believe it’s come to this but good for him. I’m glad he got that moment last night. What a disgrace this program has turned into. Imagine not giving him a shot. You know, since we have a plethora of bigs.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-03-24 06:26 PM - Post#362678    

Quakers03, you are naturally free to judge the coach by this, but I have spent some of the early season games focused on watching players one at a time on replay, so I can focus on what they do on and off the ball and on defense. I was trying to be more observant about players and our schemes. Personally, I think using Ed Holland as a litmus test of the coach is flat out wrong. He has had some games where he has been the perfect role playing complement to our team. He's had some games where he's really been disappointing in his choices, situational awareness, and motor. There are certain games (mostly against physical teams) where he disappears. I'm not saying this to criticize the young man, who is clearly playing his heart out and giving his all to the team. Each of the other players (Laz, Polonowski, Smith, McMullen, Brown, etc.) has had some good games too. If you use just a few games for any of them, you could make the case they are just as deserving. Sometimes it's subtle unless you just focus on them. For example Smith isn't always great, but he creates room for other players on his screens and with defensive rebounding. He almost always holds his ground physically, and is hard to back down. He doesn't cause a collapse of spacing on defense. These are areas where I haven't always liked what I saw from Holland. His screens, box outs, and positioning were not solid enough for the role he is playing. He does make some really good opportunistic plays, though not quite with the frequency of Laz.

He did look long and athletic against Brown, which was great. Maybe that's a sign he is deserving of PT now, but it definitely wasn't the case all season. Try watching games with singular focus on a player, and I think you'll see very different things. Watch whether they are creating space and positioining all game. Whether they are frustrating and distracting their opponent so teammates have more space. Sometimes you don't see why a defensive rebound is lost or why the opponent's great play could have been avoided when you watch the game normally as a fan. Holland often relied on sneaking around his opponents for positioning on a given play instead of establishing himself. I realize he's sometimes playing against stronger players, but there's an inherent positional advantage of a defensive rebounder - and I saw him not using fundamental positioning and getting pushed away much too often. You can't get the defensive rebound when you get pushed right under the rim or behind the backboard. That will occasionally set you up for the great looking putback, but it is mostly a liability. Some other players such as Laz were providing net better positioning for themselves and the team, despite lesser athleticism or ability.

I am really rooting for Holland to emerge, as I've always had high hopes for him. I've also loved his team attitude even during some doldrums periods. I think many players would be surprised to be characterized as having insufficient motor. They would point out that we don't realize how hard they are working. That is true. I think they don't realize the bits of effort that other players are providing throughout a game, even when it appears to have no immediate impact.

This is also why I have been supportive of more McMullen minutes over Thrower. Thrower has far more upside, but McMullen was contributing more overall, since neither was a scoring machine. Both could hit an open outside shot. Thrower's ability to hit contested threes is better, but that wasn't enough in my mind to compensate for his confusion in how to initiate the offense and make a difference defensively.

We're all splitting hairs, though. The only player capable of consistently imposing himself is Slajchert. The only other player we need out there at all times is Spinoso. Even with his shaky shooting touch, no other player rebounds with remote effectiveness.

• Quakers03 Said:
It’s awful to watch and dictated by their inability to play man.

Imagine deciding to cut the minutes of Ed Holland this year. That alone is grounds for a coaching change discussion. Unless we’re not privy to something.

Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-03-24 06:45 PM - Post#362679    

BTW, I am not defending the coach. There are plenty of reasons to have issues with the coach. Ed Holland is just not remotely one of them for me.

If I were coaching him, I would try to teach him the fundamentals of football blocking. He needs to create leverage with his lower body, to love contact off-the-ball, and to drive his opponent with his feet. He needs to work his opponent below their center of gravity. Speed rushing his opponent will work once in a while, but he needs to use it as a surprise move instead of relying on it. He needs to use his arms to block his opponents spins. He uses his hands shoulders for his fundamental positioning instead of his butt, and that just won't get the job done against good opponents. I rarely see him get boards as a result of proper execution of these fundamentals. He gets the odd carom or the ones where he guesses right.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-03-24 07:14 PM - Post#362680    

Appreciate the thoughts but you act like the team is playing such great defense and hitting the boards so well without him. Sorry, but in a stale offensive system I’d rather see a guy playing who can actually do something on offense. We’re going to give up wide open 3s again and again on defense anyway.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-03-24 08:49 PM - Post#362688    

Fine, but.Holland is a negligible footnote in much broader issues. He was a starter this season and had a few games and showed a lot of nothing differentiated from the broader cast. He has been a mix of upside and downside relative to the rest. I'm fully acknowledging that he was a solid contributor yesterday, as he has been in a few other games - with similar consistency to the rest. You are free to blame the coach for his playing time and/or performance. I'll focus on his recruiting and team defensive approach.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-03-24 11:16 PM - Post#362725    

It’s all of it combined. Who has gotten appreciably better over their 4 years?
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-04-24 06:22 AM - Post#362729    

Slajchert and Spinoso, in my opinion. Dingle. Brodeur. Rothschild. Foreman.

It’s not that I disagree with your feelings about Donahue. The part I’m arguing is that your bitterness towards him is making you take illogical positions. No improved players? Tell me those players above didn’t improve. Holland not starting is the final reason he’s a bad coach? Well, Holland was statistically one of Penn’s least efficient players tonight. He shot the lowest percentage, took too many shots, and had 4 fouls in minimal time. He took himself out of the game. You point to his overall efficiency over the season, but Laz has been more efficient in nearly every category. There certainly isn’t a clear and favorable efficiency gap in his favor versus others taking his time. He has a good 2fg%, but players like Brown or Polonowski have a good true percentage.

There are plenty of reasons to have issues with Donahue, but your logic weakens your cause. You just don’t have a leg to stand on in your logic.

The actual test of Donahue is that we’re losing. I actually like how our teams compete and I like our team culture. I don’t like the recruiting or defense. I can back those statements up. You don’t have to love all of his personnel choices, but we also hated many of Dunphy’s rotation choices too - and he was a clear winner. I trust Donahue‘a judgment on rotations far more than yours, based on the arguments I’ve seen so far.

Holland is no better than interchangeable with our other players. The only ones he clearly outshines are guys like Walter, but he already gets more minutes than Walter. I really hope Holland gets more playing time, but I really hope he earns it with differentiated actual results..
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-05-24 02:34 PM - Post#362813    

As I have said all along, this is just one of many reasons we have to move on. My overall point with Eddie is that when you see flashes of talent that good, why isn’t it developing and why did his minutes completely dwindle for 2 months. You say he’s better than Walter and coach puts Walter in with the game on the line.

The systems overall are more concerning. All we do is give up open looks from 3 and it’s seemingly because we’re unable to play man. If that is indeed the case, why don’t we have the players who can play man? As for the offense, even if you don’t have the talent to make all the shots, you’d at least hope you'd get some good looks. I’m not seeing any of that right now.

The Nana stuff alone should be enough.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-05-24 08:43 PM - Post#362823    

Now THOSE are legit arguments. So was the Nana stuff. I didn't want to judge the program by a single recruit, but it certainly wasn't a positive signal.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-05-24 08:48 PM - Post#362824    

Oh man, I'm just realizing. I was watching the game and didn't realize who Nana was. We definitely could have used him. I was noting that Brown's big men seemed really good. We could certainly use Nana's 15 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. We could even find a lot of time for him just for the rebounds.

I won't call it malpractice, as I don't know what happened. Still, it was a bad miss. It's not like he was a complete surprise bloomer of a player. NYC was very clear at the time how clearly he could contribute.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-05-24 11:09 PM - Post#362830    

In a similar vein, a friend of mine and I pulled on our hair shirts and went to the Yale game. Watching Ubochi warm up, we opined that had he gone to Brown, he'd probably be in the rotation and have developed at least a rudimentary post game by now.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-06-24 11:00 AM - Post#362837    

No idea what the story is/was, but there could be lots of things. One is admissions. Could be some reason in the mix of basketball admits why Brown had a slot that fit for him and Penn did not. Sometimes that happens.

Basketball-wise, they may have thought Larson and Spinoso were better fits. That decision looks better if Larson stays in the program and contributes. Seems like a big miss now, because we are thin up front and obviously have room for another guy (before you even get to the fact that one would make room for a 15/9 guy). It’s a big miss, but not necessarily malpractice when you think of it in the context of having to make a choice between Spinoso/Nana/Larson rather than just ignoring a kid who could play and wanted to come to Penn.

Also, on the rebounding — that’s one thing we do pretty well this year. We outrebounded Brown. We’ve got a lot of other things to improve upon before we worry much about rebounding.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
02-06-24 11:29 AM - Post#362838    

There are always excuses to be made. But we have been short big men for some time, so it seems we could have taken all three. Our defensive shortcomings alone are a reason we could use such a player.

Again, good coaches and programs get good players and figure out how to put them in positions to be successful. Part of that is coaching them up so they improve over time. Competitors are doing all of these things better than the Penn program and this has been reflected on the court.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-06-24 06:36 PM - Post#362846    

Some competitors are — absolutely. I get the “take all 3” idea in a vacuum, but we have a finite number of spots (though more than a scholarship program). So I’m not sure how realistic it is. I’m really just arguing against the “malpractice” idea that we left a kid sitting out there when we had a spot to fill. We filled the slots that year with a big class. My guess is we made a choice. The wrong choice, but a choice. Not a failure to do anything, which is how it seemed to be characterized.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-06-24 07:12 PM - Post#362848    

I'm the one who called it recruiting malpractice. It was mostly hyperbole to drive home the point, but if all you have left is to dispute the terminology, I think you've already lost the "high ground" in my view.

That said, if we want to get literal here... I think I will stand by my hyperbolic point.

"The courts define malpractice as the failure of a professional person to act in accordance with the prevailing professional standards."

If your argument is that the coaching staff chose Larson, a known project with nearly no real offers except for Penn's, instead of Nana...

Who if you believe nychoops at his word (and I do), the coaching staff ignored/didn't pursue, despite his interest (we didn't offer him) and despite him having a much better selection of college offers (a number of mid majors from the northeast) than Larson. Surely sounds like malpractice as defined above to me.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-06-24 09:32 PM - Post#362854    

You know Larson is a rotation player at Cal right now, right?
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-07-24 12:27 AM - Post#362859    

Yes, he plays 7 mins a game, averaging 1.7 points and 1.3 rebounds on a 9-13 CAL team that Kenpom expects will be 12-19 (8-12 in Pac12) by the end of the season. Sitting at KP 109 right now, which would be good for 4th place in the current Ivy League.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-07-24 10:06 AM - Post#362868    

Right. But the guy we are talking about comparing him to isn’t even the best player on the 7th place Ivy team, currently 259 in KenPom, and whose only other Ivy offer was from the 8th place (KenPom 340) team. While Larson had an offer from Brown and reportedly Yale. Larson’s offers from Yale, Penn and, subsequently, Cal, are better than any of the offers Nana had. Not saying I (or anyone else) takes Larson over Nana today. But it wasn’t an absurd notion at the time, and it looks like Penn wasn’t the only one thinking that way.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-10-24 09:15 PM - Post#363027    

I didn’t even know Gus Larson left and went to Cal. Lololol. Way to go, Steve!! What are we freaking doing here?!
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-10-24 09:26 PM - Post#363030    

That seems a bit unfair. Larson may have had any number of reasons beyond the coach to transfer, and it is not an outlier with the portal. He didn't really get significant time for us, and it isn't really clear he would have seen the court even with our big-man depleted roster.

I'm not defending the coach. I just think this is a useless comment unless you know something specific.

• Quakers03 Said:
I didn’t even know Gus Larson left and went to Cal. Lololol. Way to go, Steve!! What are we freaking doing here?!

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-10-24 09:55 PM - Post#363042    

“He didn’t really get significant time for us.”

BINGO. Steve seems to find the guys he likes and the others just don’t get the chance. Somehow Cal can take him but we couldn’t find him some more minutes and/or make him feel good about staying with a program that has very little front court depth. Any way you slice it this is just another indictment of the coach and program. How much more are we supposed to take??
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-11-24 12:31 AM - Post#363052    

I saw Larson get some time in last year's season opener against Iona, and he looked badly overmatched at both ends of the floor. He just wasn't strong enough to hold position. After that game he fell out of the rotation and was rarely seen in uniform after that.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-11-24 02:24 AM - Post#363056    

OMG. Now not playing Larson is the reason Donahue is a bad coach? Do we have to revisit this BS? There are plenty of legit reasons, let's not invent ones with no basis in reality. You undermine yourself. Larson didn't even get a lot of time with his HS team. He had a season ending injury after 5 games.

Blame the coach for a lack of good big men. Not for not finding court Larson. Despite an interesting skill set, he never showed signs he belonged in the lineup. Blame the coach for the loss of Dingle or Martz if you have more knowledge about their reasons for leaving. Not Larson.

• Quakers03 Said:
“He didn’t really get significant time for us.”

BINGO. Steve seems to find the guys he likes and the others just don’t get the chance. Somehow Cal can take him but we couldn’t find him some more minutes and/or make him feel good about staying with a program that has very little front court depth. Any way you slice it this is just another indictment of the coach and program. How much more are we supposed to take??

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-11-24 08:17 AM - Post#363060    

This is starting to get ridiculous now. No basis in reality?! Are you joking me?? Why don’t you tell me in which scenario the coaching staff is NOT culpable on this one.

1. They recruited a player who was never going to be a right fit and took him over the likes of Nana. Maybe Steve was so shocked to actually be recruiting against his competition instead of small D1 schools that he just HAD to have him.

2. They recruited a player that they thought was good enough to get minutes game one soph year, but who they realized still couldn’t play after a year and a half of supposed development. Then, after getting minutes he is benched, and then gets hurt. So either they agree to go their separate ways due to fit or the communication obviously fails and there is no understanding about the potential for Gus on a team needing front court minutes.

3. Mistakes happen and maybe the HS injury derailed his freshman year and it stunted his growth, but how then can a team like Cal not only find room for him but then gives him 11 minutes in a one point loss to UCLA yesterday? It’s not even like he went home to CT. He went across the country.

Any way you slice this it is just another in a now long line of coaching indictments.

AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4370
02-11-24 08:58 AM - Post#363069    

https://www.thedp.com/article/2023/04/penn- sports-...
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-11-24 09:14 AM - Post#363072    

Thanks for sharing. At what point can we discuss that which no one else seems to want to? The handling of mental health on this team has seemingly not been the best over the years. Certain styles don't work for every player and we seem to have a lead assistant coach who can be pretty hard on big guys. There have always been whispers, like with Wang, but we never get more. Can’t wait to hear how I’m over the line on this criticism too…
CM
Masters Student
Posts 437
02-11-24 09:54 AM - Post#363076    

It's not one single thing. Martz and Dingle leaving isn't some isolated event unrelated to Larson leaving, too.

The culture and energy surrounding this program are bad and the results reflect that.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-11-24 10:01 AM - Post#363079    

I still can’t believe I was attacked for that position. They have helped deliver what could be a final blow to Penn basketball but the coach did it with a smile and friendly disposition. Jeff was right.

He’s a nice man. Can’t cut it as coach.

I know I’ve brought him up before but when can we actually talk about Nat?
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-11-24 10:40 AM - Post#363088    

Curious about this. Obviously you can’t tell a whole lot about culture from most of our positions. However, I do get to the Palestra basically as soon as the doors open and watch warmups before every game. For pretty much the entirety of Steve’s tenure, the team has always appeared comparatively (1) organized, and (2) like they are having fun. Obviously I see them more than any other team, but the energy has always been good. This year, for the first time, I have seen some cracks in that, but really only coming out for the 2nd half for Harvard. Weirdly, that bad energy led into a very good 2nd half.

A few guys always stuck out to me pregame in terms of establishing culture, and one of those guys was Lucas Monroe. So maybe that is a difference this year. But to me culture and energy have not appeared to be an issue under this staff. They’ve been an easy group to root for in a human sense throughout Steve’s tenure.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-11-24 11:00 AM - Post#363090    

In the micro sense, I have trouble with the concept of culpability here in general. Not every player develops, for lots of reasons that may or may not have to do with the staff. Larson was an interesting player, but a tweener in some ways. Guard skills from when he was younger, but center height. Lots that could go right in terms of fit and development, but also lots that could go wrong. I kind of view this stuff in percentage terms — you get a player at larson’s level in the recruiting rankings/offers, you get say a 70% chance it works out. Sometimes you get the 30%.

So like penndemonium, I have trouble with the concept that Larson’s transfer is somehow the ultimate indicator that the coach stinks. That said, my problem is just with (I think) overstating the importance of Larson leaving. The overall record is ultimately what I feel comfortable going on, because after 9 years it smooths out the noise of what may be one off situations. And the overall record says Steve isn’t nearly as bad as he is sometimes described. But the overall record also says that Steve hasn’t been good enough.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32916
02-11-24 11:18 AM - Post#363091    

I think Dingle and Martz leaving sends a very strong message that they thought last year was their year and when it fizzled out, this program had taken them as far as they could go, which was 3rd place. Remember, Donahue's sole title was won primarily because of players he inherited (and one transfer). His recruits have not done better than 3rd place. He could not sustain the improvement to the title run, nor could he get teams with the best player in the league to a regular season title. He has underperformed his talent---to me, that's a much greater sin than underperforming in recruiting.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
02-11-24 11:30 AM - Post#363095    

But records in every sport are not just judged over 9 years. The trend matters. Championship winning coaches get fired not many years later. This is clearly not going well. And, yes, there are excuses and rationalizations galore but eventually you are what your record says you are.

If they lose twenty games there are no excuses for being that bad and keeping your job. If there is no accountability at all the administration is clearly saying we should not care either.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-11-24 11:45 AM - Post#363098    

Well, I agree with you about how coaches are judged in sports. But i don’t necessarily think that is a good thing. I think sports teams generally favor change over stability, but do so overall to their detriment. There are lots of reasons they do so — mostly fan engagement and drawing interest/controversy. But I think overall they hurt themselves in terms of wins and losses with the constant changes.

As for your point about whether the administration cares, that is how the entire conference operates. There hasn’t been a coaching change in men’s basketball in the entire conference in 8 years. Penn has the 4th best record over that time. For better or worse, our conference doesn’t fire coaches very often, let alone a coach who finishes top 4 every year (at least until this year). So it isn’t just Penn. It’s the whole league.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-11-24 12:00 PM - Post#363103    

Not sure that was the thinking for Dingle/Martz. I think Dingle had a lot more to do with Dingle and reaching the NBA than anything else. Obviously they would have a better shot in the Ivy this year as seniors with a good class coming in. With Martz, we’ll see. I tend to agree with you that he will show up somewhere as a grad transfer, though there are those who insist he is done playing. We’ll find out whether he made a decision to play a season elsewhere or simply hung up the spikes. If he does plan to play elsewhere, obviously his decision followed from Dingle’s.

On the point about underperforming the talent . . .. For me, that is always hard to evaluate. None of these guys were heavily recruited coming out of high school. The fact that they appear to be a talented team that underperformed may be something that actually results from good coaching, in a sense. They were put in a position to succeed, at least in some ways. Dingle was an NBA prospect when he played for Steve. He probably isn’t one now. It may be that they look like a talented team because of the coaching, not in spite of it.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-11-24 03:56 PM - Post#363123    

• SomeGuy Said:
Not sure that was the thinking for Dingle/Martz. I think Dingle had a lot more to do with Dingle and reaching the NBA than anything else. Obviously they would have a better shot in the Ivy this year as seniors with a good class coming in. With Martz, we’ll see. I tend to agree with you that he will show up somewhere as a grad transfer, though there are those who insist he is done playing. We’ll find out whether he made a decision to play a season elsewhere or simply hung up the spikes. If he does plan to play elsewhere, obviously his decision followed from Dingle’s.

On the point about underperforming the talent . . .. For me, that is always hard to evaluate. None of these guys were heavily recruited coming out of high school. The fact that they appear to be a talented team that underperformed may be something that actually results from good coaching, in a sense. They were put in a position to succeed, at least in some ways. Dingle was an NBA prospect when he played for Steve. He probably isn’t one now. It may be that they look like a talented team because of the coaching, not in spite of it.

Now we can thank our consistently mediocre results to good coaching to make up for poor recruiting? Who does the recruiting again?

Or is it that we recruit “system fit” kids and that’s why our recruiting looks bad but is secretly good, but coaching and development isn’t good enough to take advantage and that results in mediocre results?

Oh wait, it doesn’t matter either way because the coaches are responsible for all of that and the results are the results.

I get your point about constant changes of coaches and I agree. However this coaching staff has had 9 years, so any change if it were to happen (and I highly doubt it will) is not going to be an example of what you’re talking about. The cold, hard truth is that we know where this coaching staff can get this program to and it’s just not good enough.

Appreciate them being good guys and bringing back a clean program, but the results simply are in (mediocre) and have been trending down. 9 years and not a single Top 100 team is really all you need to know.

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-11-24 04:41 PM - Post#363126    

Agree with almost all of this. While I quibble with a lot of what is said here, my quibbles are with the level of the vitriol and hyperbole. In the end, the results are the results, and at this point I don’t think they’re good enough, either. Heck, I’m quite confident Steve himself doesn’t think the results are good enough.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-11-24 05:56 PM - Post#363131    

Yes. I was going to type out a reply, but this is my point. Larson leaving isn't a positive, but it is hardly the tipping point. It's not even worthy to mention as a key reason to have issues with the coach. There isn't a single NCAA team in any sport, men or women's, that doesn't have players who don't get the time they think they should, who have personal issues, who don't have enough time to study, who aren't developing on the right way, or who just don't gel with a coach. On my Penn team, it was probably 60/40 of people who felt a full fit on all cylinders. So Larson in the singular is just a footnote. The overall quality of the roster and losing Dingle and Martz are bigger issues.

I'm just tired of reading ridiculous nit-picking. If you want the coach fired, it is simple enough to find real issues. Championships, wins/losses, recruiting, and (somewhat) retention. Larson is one data point in a thousand and is not the tipping point in any way.

One thing that seems hard to point at about Donahue is whether he runs a clean program, has real student-athletes, develops a good team culture, and keeps it organized operationally. I haven't heard anything to the contrary, at least.

Can you imagine going to the Penn administration asking for Donahue to be fired because Larson is the tipping point of a badly run program? We don't even have evidence that this isn't just a run-of-the-mill bad fit between student and situation. We don't have any evidence that Larson would have been impactful. I didn't lose a wink at the time when he transferred, and I still don't.

• SomeGuy Said:
In the micro sense, I have trouble with the concept of culpability here in general. Not every player develops, for lots of reasons that may or may not have to do with the staff. Larson was an interesting player, but a tweener in some ways. Guard skills from when he was younger, but center height. Lots that could go right in terms of fit and development, but also lots that could go wrong. I kind of view this stuff in percentage terms — you get a player at larson’s level in the recruiting rankings/offers, you get say a 70% chance it works out. Sometimes you get the 30%.

So like penndemonium, I have trouble with the concept that Larson’s transfer is somehow the ultimate indicator that the coach stinks. That said, my problem is just with (I think) overstating the importance of Larson leaving. The overall record is ultimately what I feel comfortable going on, because after 9 years it smooths out the noise of what may be one off situations. And the overall record says Steve isn’t nearly as bad as he is sometimes described. But the overall record also says that Steve hasn’t been good enough.

Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1905
02-11-24 05:59 PM - Post#363132    

That is my other point. Badly aimed vitriol is self-defeating. Plenty of good reasons to be dissatisfied. Don't pound the drum for weak reasons.

• SomeGuy Said:
Agree with almost all of this. While I quibble with a lot of what is said here, my quibbles are with the level of the vitriol and hyperbole. In the end, the results are the results, and at this point I don’t think they’re good enough, either. Heck, I’m quite confident Steve himself doesn’t think the results are good enough.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-12-24 12:35 PM - Post#363150    

No one said Larson is a tipping point. Just another in a long line. I’m sorry that you’re so bothered by my “vitriol”. I am happy to go back to not commenting at all. It fits right in line with where this program is headed. Apathy is here.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-12-24 11:08 PM - Post#363160    

For the record, you did appear to me to reference Larson’s transfer as “the final blow” to men’s basketball a little ways up in the thread. I may have misunderstood, but that is how it read, at least to me. So that’s where I got the “tipping point” impression.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-13-24 09:49 PM - Post#363180    

May be my old guy fashion sense, but to me the ultimate indictment of the program is the short sleeved hoodies.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.641 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:38 PM