Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Loyola University?
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-10-08 04:14 PM - Post#46189    

assuming all of you guys are loyola grads.. i figured you would be interested in a recent email the student body received...

Dear Members of the Loyola College Community:

I want to thank you for your thoughtful feedback and useful suggestions during our ongoing strategic planning process. Your commitment and input has been invaluable, and I anticipate your continued contributions as the planning process progresses. I am certain that the community is ready to embrace and advance the vision that will generate a transformative academic environment for all of our students and that will lead to an even greater Loyola. During the next several months, the Drafting Committee will be incorporating all of the information, assessments and analyses, and data into a document that we will present to the Board of Trustees in October. The process will continue to be iterative and open as we garner additional community input.

This time of strategic planning and reflection permits us to review and assess our strengths and opportunities as well as consider current conditions in higher education along with our position in this environment. In addition, the SimpsonScarborough market research project will provide us with fresh and current data from our key constituents. While the possibility of a name change from Loyola College to Loyola University was discussed approximately ten years ago, it is now timely to reconsider this issue, taking into account all of the information that we have gathered about our own development and place in today’s changing world. Over the course of the last ten years, Loyola has evolved in many ways, including strengthened graduate programs and a continued commitment to undergraduate education focused on a humanities-centered core curriculum, with a full range of strong liberal arts majors and first-rate professional programs. Changing our name now would reflect our current circumstances and status as a comprehensive university, rather than signify a change in direction. We are at an important juncture with the addition of a School of Education, and a concurrent name change to Loyola University would strengthen the bond among the three schools.

I want to be sure that the campus community has the opportunity to be involved in the discussion about a possible name change. The Loyola Conference will discuss this topic at its meeting on
March 18. In addition, I invite all faculty members to meet with me and members of the Cabinet on Thursday, March 27 at 3:15 p.m. in McGuire Hall East for further conversation. I realize that feelings on both sides of this issue are strong, and I look forward to having a full discussion. I am committed to hearing and considering all points of view and will share the feedback from these sessions with the Board of Trustees on April 16.

I remind you that up-to-date information about the planning process as well as a historical calendar of discussions is available to the campus community on the Strategic Planning webpage, (www.loyola.edu/about/stratplan).

Sincerely,

Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
President
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-10-08 04:52 PM - Post#46195    

I always thought that "Loyola College" made us sound small time. Since nobody really knows Loyola (MD) beyond the greater Maryland area, I think calling it University will certainly help us all in our careers beyond Baltimore.

They should have done this 10 years ago.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 04:53 PM - Post#46196    

Why was the name change shot down last time?

My first instinct is to be against this, but I'm open to discussion.

Why would this be a help?

Interesting aside. I was watching the Caps game yesterday on NBC. Loyola had an ad on the scrolling boards the entire first period.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-10-08 04:55 PM - Post#46197    

I am going to talk out of both sides of my mouth on this.

On one hand, I would prefer they keep it Loyola College. I think the name is catchy, and given there are already three Loyola Universities in the U.S. it makes us somewhat distinctive. Joe Sellinger's argument was always that while we are technically a university, the "Loyola College" name is a better marketing name. And I think I agree with them.

That said, I find it humerous that they think changing the name would make any difference, or be worth the cost in changed signage/letterhead/etc. I doubt anyone is going to see the change and say "Wow, Loyola is now Loyola University. I suppose the change reflects their current circumstances and status as a comprehensive university."

To be honest if they are going to through this process I would rather them not go half way. Instead perhaps consider changing their name away from Loyola to something where we could stand alone.

Maybe we could merge with the girl's school next door and take their name. That would eliminate confusion, eh?
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-10-08 04:58 PM - Post#46199    

• johndpuccio Said:
I think calling it University will certainly help us all in our careers beyond Baltimore.

I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night, because I am being argumentative and a jerk today. But... seriously? You really think it would make one bit of difference.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 05:03 PM - Post#46200    

That's funny, because when I think "Loyola College," I immediately think "Boston College." Good company.

Having the "College" designation hasn't seemed to hurt them, and they're one of our main peer schools. (Granted, they can't be Boston University, for obvious reasons...)

I also like that we're Loyola College and those other schools are variations of "Loyola University..."
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 05:10 PM - Post#46203    

Do you think this (and maybe the ad at the Caps games) ties in with a push to market toward the lucrative "continuing education" market?

You'd have to think Loyola has pretty much maxed-out what it can do in the undergrad market at Evergreen.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-10-08 05:15 PM - Post#46204    

You just had to bring up the weekend Caps games, huh? As if I wasn't already in a $#^ mood today.

I think there is something to that. Certainly it has been a point of emphasis (building the evening/continuing), and it would be a good way to bring the School of Edu in.

My guess is this is a combination of a lot of factors, from what you mentioned, to a new president's attempt to make his mark, to SimpsonScarborough getting paid a lot of money to come up with ideas and so suggesting this to make themselves look smart.

Frankly if Linnane wants to leave his mark I would rather him take Ed Hale up on his offer to build a replacement Baltimore Arena on the Loyola Ford site in return for free rent. Alas looking at First Mariner's stock price perhaps that ship sailed long ago.
Jesus loves me.

LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-10-08 05:15 PM - Post#46205    

Loyola is still known as Loyola (MD) though, even though the Loyola in Chicago is a University so I don't really know if changing the name would really add anymore to the whole confusing factor of it. But I agree Loyola College just sounds better.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-10-08 05:18 PM - Post#46206    

I am just glad we struck first and got the loyola.edu domain. Much cooler than lmu.edu, lcu.edu or loyno.edu
It must have had something to do with the grant that got all the VAX machines installed in Hammerman.
Jesus loves me.

MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-10-08 05:21 PM - Post#46208    

10 years ago the main argument was that if we renamed to Loyola Univrsity, there would be people in the general populace that would confuse whether we were our own entity or part of a larger Loyola with separate campuses (with locations in Chicago, New Orleans, and California). Loyola College is distinctive. This argument will come up at least once every President.

I don't think it matters, though I personally will always be fond of LC and don't really like LU.
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-10-08 05:23 PM - Post#46209    

another note

no one would be able to be loco @ LoCo anymore (we all know how much everyone loves that :\ ... and i'd have to change my user name for this board and the maac board, not happening
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 05:24 PM - Post#46210    

Loyola Ford? How would that work? That doesn't seem like a big enough parcel for a legit arena.

I've also noticed ads in the Post for Loyola programs. There seems to be a push on the continuing education side with the Columbia Center, etc. I guess they figure that's the best way to grow the school. Undergraduate education alone won't get them there.

Perhaps something's up with them acquiring Notre Dame?
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-10-08 05:27 PM - Post#46214    

rumor is they have already bought condom... and either next year or the year after will do actually own it... not sure at all on that one though
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 05:28 PM - Post#46215    

The VAX! LOL.

Good one Lou - I forgot about those monstrosities.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-10-08 05:33 PM - Post#46216    

• Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:
I think calling it University will certainly help us all in our careers beyond Baltimore.

I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night, because I am being argumentative and a jerk today. But... seriously? You really think it would make one bit of difference.

I think my perception and the perception of a lot of people is this: university > college

BC is a bad example because 1. They are a national, distinct brand 2. They would have become Boston University, but the name was already taken!

I live and work in New York. And I would not have traded my Loyola College experience for anything, but I have to tell you, having it on your resume doesn't help. Nobody knows it - or they think you are talking about any of the other 3 Loyola's.

At least if it were a University, it sounds more prestigous.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-10-08 05:34 PM - Post#46218    

Notre Dame was near going out of business 20 odd years ago. Loyola cut back its continuing education program at that time and cut a deal to share expenses of some programs. CND then beefed up its continuing education, which tends to be lucrative, and was saved.

Times have changed and Loyola obviously is regrowing its program now. I have no idea how CND is doing but they have been working closely with Loyola on a lot of projects, most notably the library improvements/rebuild. I doubt the rumor is true... if Loyola had already bought them I am sure it would be announced. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have some sort of framework in place to continue integrating operations towards an eventual merger.

As for the Loyola Ford land I have no idea if it is big enough, but Ed was serious about it a few years ago. He wants a new arena for the Blast and would love it near Towson. The city loved the idea because they would love to see York Road get development. The idea was for a 7k or so arena with dorms built in and retail on York Rd., paid for by the Blast and the city and owned by them but with Loyola getting free rent and ticket sales, etc., for games.

I am sure it was much more complicated than I am making it out to be, but a shame it was not followed.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 05:42 PM - Post#46220    

They would have had to take out some of those houses on ND Lane to get all that in there. Loyola Ford isn't big enough for all that.

That would have been cool, though.

Really, the only space left on campus is Geppi-Aikens. Once that's gone, Evergreen is pretty much maxed.

Brian
Senior
Posts 300
03-10-08 07:03 PM - Post#46232    

When I was at Loyola, the rumor all 4 years running was that we would take over ND "in the next year or 2". So that starts Sep of 1990,andI doubt my freshman year was the start of that rumor. I suppose if you keep repeating it, eventually it will happen and someone can finally say "see! I told you!"

DICKEY
Freshman
Posts 67
03-10-08 07:06 PM - Post#46234    

I've always found it frustrating when people unfamiliar with LC associate it with the other crap Loyola's. If they make any change, it should be a wholesale change to something completely different. That said, I'm on board with staying the same. University of Loyola at Maryland, Loyola (MD) University, Loyola University of Maryland or any other variation just doesn't cut it.

Why not invest the money in something that will really make a difference, like an additional academic quad on Curly Field or the purchase (or should I say annexation) of College of Notre Dame.

And just for fun, if you had to submit a top 3 for possible name changes, what would it be and what is the mascot?

Can someone elaborate on the whole Loyola Ford situation? Where is/was that and who is Ed Hale?

Go Hounds
PFE_Hounds
Freshman
Posts 89
03-10-08 07:29 PM - Post#46235    

Ed Hale Jr. is the Donald Trump of Baltimore. He owns 1st Mariner Bank and is the cash behind many development projects in town. There is no doubt that he is a large inspiration for many of the sleazy developers in the Wire.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-10-08 07:46 PM - Post#46236    

You want to talk about devaluing diplomas, try having to explain to an employer that you went to "Loyola College" in Baltimore which is now "XYZ University."

Loyola College has a little name recognition, something not using the "Loyola" prefix would have exactly none...

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of a name change.

Villanova isn't changing their name. Neither is Providence.

(Anyone know why it's "Providence College" and not "Providence University," beside the fact they don't want to be "PU"?)
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-11-08 08:45 AM - Post#46270    

Loyola (MD) has name recognition outside of Maryland?

Where?

Virginia?

Bottom line: Outside of a few exceptions, "college" means small potatoes. I'm actually shocked at the response to changing the name to U. I would have guessed it a landslide the other way.

How about the slew of top universities that changed their name from "college" years ago for the very same reasons we should now? Should we discount that and hang on to Providence as our beacon of justification?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-11-08 10:50 AM - Post#46274    

John I just fundamentally disagree with you that going from college to U will do anything to boost people's impressions of the school. If you have Loyola on your resume, people either know about the school and what it means, or they don't. I don't believe for one second that anyone on a job interview would say "Well, John seems qualified. But if he only went to a college and not a university, I would rather not hire him."

This is all about marketing. Nothing more, nothing less. There is a new administration trying to make its mark, and they seem more interested in our name conveying big than conveying cozy. That is fine. But I can't see it making a bit of difference in terms of how the school is perceived, and actually believe there is as good or better chance we will just become more mixed in and confused with the other Loyolas than we become more recognizable.

This is change for the sake of change. I don't have a problem with it. But I also don't see the point.
Jesus loves me.

Scott
Sophomore
Posts 144
03-11-08 11:55 AM - Post#46286    

You guys are all so young. When I was at Evergreen, the VAX was STATE OF THE ART!

My boss went to Towson State UNIVERSITY while I went to Loyola COLLEGE...John, you may be onto something. That must be why I am working for her and not vice-versa.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-11-08 12:37 PM - Post#46291    

At the end of the day - no matter what you do - they are not changing "Loyola" to "Harvard" or "Yale" - so it doesn't matter much.

To your point Scott - I've had Georgetown and Princeton grads in my age cohort work for me, so it's the person, not the paper - but I still rather see "university" in there - if at least for my own perception.

I actually [prefer they just call it Loyola without the descriptor. Somewhere along teh way they decided to stop making sweatshirts and the like that was sans "College" - always bothered me.
Scott
Sophomore
Posts 144
03-11-08 12:45 PM - Post#46294    

I wish they would just use "Loyola College"...there is only one Loyola College the others are universities.
jdubs
Freshman
Posts 90
03-11-08 04:37 PM - Post#46309    

changing the name is retarded. no one in the outside world gives two #@$%s. people looking at your resume are looking that you graduated from college and unless you went to an ivy league or a duke its really not going to make that much of a difference.
Honestly the thing that will give us a little more recognition is not changing the name, but the damn basketball team winning. Consistently making the tournament business people will recognize the name after they've picked the 16 seed Loyola to lose and they upset the #1 seed for the first time in history.
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-12-08 12:39 AM - Post#46353    

Another one out of rumorville... some sga meeting tonight said loyola had thoughts of leaving the MAAC (absolutely retarded on so many levels).. but I asked the kid who told me what conference and he said he wasnt sure but they listed a bunch of reasons for it.. didn't hear those yet but when i do, i'll be sure to post them... but the AD is so apathetic all season.. and now they want to change conferences.. what is going on?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 08:07 AM - Post#46360    

- Curious why you say the AD is apathetic. I realize people have been saying this about him for 20 years now, but my impression is that for the first time in a long time the basketball program is getting everything it wants and more.

- I would be shocked if a conference change was something the SGA would be privy to, but whether or not it is a good move is hard to judge without knowing where they would be going. It would have been wise years back to sell ourselves to the CAA, before its merger or even during it.

- The MAAC is a good league for us, but because of geography we have always been the ugly stepchild. The announcers during the Siena game even made a reference that blew my mind, saying that Gerald Brown might not get all the calls he could because the conference refs are New Yorkers and just don't get to see him or read about him very often. (!) That is a heck of an accusation and I doubt it is true, but truth is the MAAC has tried and failed to bring in new southern membership for years and has sort of left us hanging. We are both a great fit and a credit to the conference, and an uneasy and unhappy member.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 08:10 AM - Post#46361    

• jdubs Said:
Consistently making the tournament business people will recognize the name after they've picked the 16 seed Loyola to lose and they upset the #1 seed for the first time in history.

Good answer.
Show of hands: How many people, upon telling someone where you went to college, have been asked the question: "Were you there with Hank Gathers?"

Maybe it is only because I live outside of Md. But I have been asked that multiple times.
Jesus loves me.

MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-12-08 08:31 AM - Post#46362    

I think a number of posters (Because of youth) are now asking: who is hank gathers?
LIHFunited
Freshman
Posts 72
03-12-08 08:39 AM - Post#46364    

Outside of Baltimore, a lot of people assume I went to school in Chicago unless I qualify it. Changing the name to University is not going to change that fact. Unless significant research has been done to prove that a name change will help the school, I am against it. I just like the name Loyola College better, mostly because I think it accurately describes the school. Perhaps it is technically a University, but let's be honest here. It's a relatively small school in a suburban/city setting. It is not a sprawling campus with tens of thousands of students which is what "I" think when I hear university.
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-12-08 08:48 AM - Post#46366    

Well if they don't ask about Hank Gathers, then maybe Bo Kimble.
DICKEY
Freshman
Posts 67
03-12-08 09:28 AM - Post#46370    

Hank Gathers? Bo Kimble?
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-12-08 09:50 AM - Post#46377    

• LIHFunited Said:
Outside of Baltimore, a lot of people assume I went to school in Chicago unless I qualify it. Changing the name to University is not going to change that fact. Unless significant research has been done to prove that a name change will help the school, I am against it. I just like the name Loyola College better, mostly because I think it accurately describes the school. Perhaps it is technically a University, but let's be honest here. It's a relatively small school in a suburban/city setting. It is not a sprawling campus with tens of thousands of students which is what "I" think when I hear university.

I welcome the connection to Chicago. Itt's an excellent school with obviously a better national reputation.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 09:54 AM - Post#46378    

I wonder if a conference move has more to do with finding a better home for lax.

That weird ECAC league has to be a stopgap, no?

Has it really been 18 years since the Hank Gathers tournament? I will take a foul shot left handed in his honor. Too bad LMU had to run into one of the greatest college basketball teams of all time (Tark's UNLV Rebels) - they could have been "George Mason" before George Mason...
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-12-08 09:57 AM - Post#46380    

It probably has to do with lax. Did you hear Toomey got an extension last week?

My question is has Patsos ever gotten an extension from his orginal deal here?
LIHFunited
Freshman
Posts 72
03-12-08 10:13 AM - Post#46382    

I'm pretty sure he did, I think it was after last season.

I was only 8 or 9 for Hank Gathers and the LMU run. However, I recently looked at some of the boxscores from that tournament. Talk about a run and gun squad! The amount of points they scored following that event, which was not only tragic but also took away their best player and scorer, is simply remarkable.

They beat Michigan, the defending champions, 149-115 in the second round that year. 149 points!
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 10:19 AM - Post#46384    

Patsos got an extension a few years ago, and could get a new one in the coming weeks/months.

Again, I hate to say it and ruin people's perception but there isn't much on campus that men's hoops isn't getting right now, lacrosse or no lacrosse.

The conference move could be lacrosse related, but not sure who would be a fit. There aren't a lot of lax conferences. Assuming it means leaving the MAAC and being an all-sport move, the choices would be Patriot, A-East or CAA. I doubt the CAA would want us, and I hope we wouldn't go to the A-East. So where would we go?
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 10:22 AM - Post#46385    

LMU scored over 100 and lost an NCAA tournament game. By a lot. That doesn't happen every day.

Kentucky losing to Duke (1992) at the Spectrum in the East Regional Final is the only other tournament game I can think of where the losing team had over 100.
LIHFunited
Freshman
Posts 72
03-12-08 10:29 AM - Post#46387    

and that game went to overtime...
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 10:30 AM - Post#46388    

Patriot by process of elimination, I guess.

It's actually a good fit with AU and Navy in the area and a fellow Jesuit school in Holy Cross.

Here's one for you. If Loyola were to join the Patriot League and with the new stadium coming on-line soon, all these new schools and programs, and proposed name change to "Loyola University," what are the chances for Loyola bringing back football?

I don't think they would ever spend the money to make it happen, but if it were possible, now would be the time.

I can't imagine they are building a 6,000 seat ballpark for about 20 dates a year.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 10:35 AM - Post#46391    

• MJF Said:
Patriot by process of elimination, I guess.

It's actually a good fit with AU and Navy in the area and a fellow Jesuit school in Holy Cross.

Here's one for you. If Loyola were to join the Patriot League and with the new stadium coming on-line soon, all these new schools and programs, and proposed name change to "Loyola University," what are the chances for Loyola bringing back football?

I don't think they would ever spend the money to make it happen, but if it were possible, now would be the time.

I can't imagine they are building a 6,000 seat ballpark for about 20 dates a year.

I agree the Patriot makes the most sense, but honestly lets not get ahead of ourselves. IF the rumor is true, I can't help but wonder if it involves something much more simple like lax alone moving, perhaps to the MAAC. And is the Patriot looking to expand?

I think a move to the Patriot, and being associated with those schools, would do more for Loyola's reputation than any name change could. However, despite a few good teams every year seems it would be a step down in hoops. I would be all for it but I am curious how others (JP, I am looking at you here) would feel. MJF given your feels from past conversations on our "Magnificent destiny" (my words) as a basketball program, would you support it?

As for football who knows? I agree the new stadium makes it more likely, and Patriot football is relatively cheap. But ambition has never been our strong point.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-12-08 10:51 AM - Post#46393    

i'm more than happy to comment on a rumor, but what is the rumor exactly and where was it heard?
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 10:51 AM - Post#46394    

I would support a Patriot move. With the two service academies, Holy Cross, Colgate, etc. it's certainly a better fit than hanging with the likes of Iona and Niagara. (No offense.)

A Navy rivalry would be pretty cool.

Keep in mind, the administration views Holy Cross, BC, Villanova, and Providence as Loyola's "comparables." That drives a fair amount of the decision making in all areas. Three of the four are in BCS conferences. The fourth is in the Patriot.

The problem with Patriot football is that there are some really good teams in that league. Georgetown has been getting killed over the past 7 years or so, and there is no question that they have deeper pockets than Loyola.

The funny thing is that Georgetown has a football team but can't get their stadium project finished.

Loyola is likely to have a "Patriot League quality" stadium, but no football team.

Which raises the question why they're fixing to spend big money for a stadium a mile down Cold Spring Lane.

I personally think the answer is some variation of "because they can..."
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-12-08 10:51 AM - Post#46396    

I have standards when it comes to rumor-mongering!
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 10:58 AM - Post#46399    

• MJF Said:
I would support a Patriot move. With the two service academies, Holy Cross, Colgate, etc. it's certainly a better fit than hanging with the likes of Iona and Niagara. (No offense.)

A Navy rivalry would be pretty cool.

Keep in mind, the administration views Holy Cross, BC, Villanova, and Providence as Loyola's "comparables." That drives a fair amount of the decision making in all areas. Three of the four are in BCS conferences. The fourth is in the Patriot.

The problem with Patriot football is that there are some really good teams in that league. Georgetown has been getting killed over the past 7 years or so, and there is no question that they have deeper pockets than Loyola.

The funny thing is that Georgetown has a football team but can't get their stadium project finished.

Loyola is likely to have a "Patriot League quality" stadium, but no football team.

Which raises the question why they're fixing to spend big money for a stadium a mile down Cold Spring Lane.

I personally think the answer is some variation of "because they can..."

I agree 100%. I would happily "downgrade" to the Patriot in a heartbeat. Surely we would not be going alone since no one wants a 9 team conference. We drove the bus bringing Rider into the MAAC, so perhaps they would come along as well. How great would it be to have half the conference within a 1-2 hour drive?

It would allow the MAAC to transform into the NY Catholic League it dreams of being. As difficult as it would be to survive without the glow of the Albany media spotlight, I think we would survive.

That said I woudl be surprised if there is any truth to this beyond message board wandering. But we can hope.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 10:59 AM - Post#46400    

• johndpuccio Said:

I guess we will have to go slower, given you graduated from a college and not a university.

Forget the rumor or the source or anything like that... would you favor a move from the MAAC to the Patriot League?
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 11:06 AM - Post#46402    

Someone we both know well (who I thought was going to post his rumor himself) emailed me a little while ago and told me that he heard that the ECAC lax league may be on the way out because the Big East wants a lacrosse league of its own...
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-12-08 11:06 AM - Post#46403    

• Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:

I guess we will have to go slower, given you graduated from a college and not a university.

Forget the rumor or the source or anything like that... would you favor a move from the MAAC to the Patriot League?

I see. Now we have devolved to the Internet meesage board equivalent of calling sports talk radio and proposing baseball trades that will never happen...

I would be for a move if the college was prepared to make the monetary investment necessary to compete. Right now we are competitive bbudget-wise with the rest of the MAAC. I know we don't have the budget to compete in the CAA. I don't know what the Patriot League is from a cost of competing standpoint. Seems more lateral, no?

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-12-08 11:08 AM - Post#46404    

• MJF Said:
Someone we both know well (who I thought was going to post his rumor himself) emailed me a little while ago and told me that he heard that the ECAC lax league may be on the way out because the Big East wants a lacrosse league of its own...

then it sounds like we would be a MAAC school in lax - which we should have been a long time ago.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 11:12 AM - Post#46405    

• MJF Said:

That settles it. We are obviously moving to become a full member of the big east.

So lets say this unnamed source with a strange fascination with Rutgers is correct. The Big East lax would take G-town, SJU and Rutgers from the ECAC, Nova from the CAA lax, ND from the Great West and Providence from the MAAC. Am I missing any? Oh, and Syracuse obviously. Honestly with so many members playing in various leagues I can see why they would start the sport.

That would seemingly open up slots in a lot of places for a lax only move, with Fairfield, Hobart, UMass and Penn State looking for homes. I think it is possible the ECAC could steal members to compliment its core 5, or people could jump. Either way probably not a move for the whole program.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 11:15 AM - Post#46407    

• johndpuccio Said:
  • Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:

I see. Now we have devolved to the Internet meesage board equivalent of calling sports talk radio and proposing baseball trades that will never happen...

I would be for a move if the college was prepared to make the monetary investment necessary to compete. Right now we are competitive bbudget-wise with the rest of the MAAC. I know we don't have the budget to compete in the CAA. I don't know what the Patriot League is from a cost of competing standpoint. Seems more lateral, no?

Think we could trade Rider for Kazmir, and then flip him to the ACC for Virginia Tech?

Lateral to me is acceptable, since it would give us a much more centralized role geographically. And as I said before I think it would do more to help your resume than any name change could.

I think the admin (not sports, but school) would jump at such a move and could be actively seeking it (the prez has strong ties to Holy Cross, after all). But lost in the rumor mongering is any suggestion that the Patriot League is looking to grow.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 11:20 AM - Post#46408    

I don't know if any of you guys have the Capital Campaign prospectus that came out last year, but I think a major expansion of the athletic department could be coming sooner rather than later.

It would be an absolute waste to build the kinds of facilities they are talking about for the athletic department as presently constituted and at its current levels of support.
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
03-12-08 01:40 PM - Post#46433    

How serious is all this talk about us moving from the MAAC? Is this just being speculated on here?

I would definitely support a move to the Patriot if at all possible.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 02:05 PM - Post#46437    

Unfortunately the only evidence is a rumor stemming out of an on-campus student council meeting (I don't think their approval is needed to change, so unsure why they would be in on a secret) and some believeable talk that perhaps lax may need a new home.
Of course I guess dreamers can look at this and go "hmmm..."

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/genrel/101707aaa.htm...
Jesus loves me.

zombiejimchivers
Freshman
Posts 9
03-12-08 03:46 PM - Post#46453    

Is it worth noting to those who state the Patriot League is a step down from the MAAC that this year and last year the Patriot actually had a higher conference RPI? I am aware the in years beyond the last two the MAAC rated higher than the Patriot but still, I can't say it's a dramatic step down.

The America East and especially the NEC are another thing however.... that's a significant step down.

Just my two cents.
http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-12-08 03:54 PM - Post#46457    

• zombiejimchivers Said:
Is it worth noting to those who state the Patriot League is a step down from the MAAC that this year and last year the Patriot actually had a higher conference RPI? I am aware the in years beyond the last two the MAAC rated higher than the Patriot but still, I can't say it's a dramatic step down.

The America East and especially the NEC are another thing however.... that's a significant step down.

Just my two cents.
http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

To add to that, it at least appears that while the MAAC is and has been stagnant the Patriot is on the rise now that it is giving scholarships. Of course that can all change with a couple of good coaches and some good breaks, but the Patriot teams have better histories (off the court), wealthier alum bases to push them, and are in general in better recruiting areas (Buffalo and Albany are not hotbeds).

I think it is at worse a push for the hoops program, and a real step up for the school in general. The PL is full of the sort of schools Loyola backers want to be associated with and believe they should be associated with.

Now whether or not they want us or there is anything to this is a whole 'nother story.
Jesus loves me.

PFE_Hounds
Freshman
Posts 89
03-12-08 05:49 PM - Post#46473    

Man, I miss one day of posting and come back to all this! Let me throw in my thoughts:

- I agree completely with whoever said that the school wouldn't build a big new stadium without some kind of parallel commitment to the program itself. I'm not sure that this means football but it must mean a move to take the next step generally.

- I'm not going to lie, the thought of leaving the MAAC for the Patriot League almost gives me wood. It makes sense that conferences should have similar types of schools, and other than being Catholic and being small to medium sized we have little in common with the MAAC schools. Different region is what comes to mind first, along with a different recruiting base.

- Moving to the Patriot league, though, gets us into more common company. We would be an easy bus trip from half of the conference and could build local rivalries with the likes of American and Navy. Plus, with all due respect to MAAC schools, I think that we are on an higher academic level closer to the likes of AU, HC, Bucknell, etc. so it makes sense from that perspective as well.

- Joining the PL would also raise our profile not because of its RPI or anything like that but simply because the schools in it now are more widely known across the country and just by habing our name listed among them we can raise our profile.

- And finally, I think I saw the point that it would be silly for us to complain about our conference when we have been so unsuccessful. That's true to some degree, but I also think that our "ugly stepchild" status in the MAAC has hurt our chances for consistent success.

So much of this game is building a profile and recruting, and being the southern outpost of a New York league hurts those efforts. Say you are a mid-major bound HS player. If you are from NYC, Albany, or Buffalo you will be familliar with the MAAC schools that are local. Maybe you got to see Marist and Siena have some great games and get excited about jumping into that rivalry. Loyola can't be put into that scenario because we are on a bit of an island. Plus, who knows how the long trips (at least 4 a year) weigh on us vs. someone like Marist who is right in the middle.

If this is true as a long-term goal, I would go for it full bore. Building the athletic identiy would be aided by the PL and would raise our profile as a program and a school.
PFE_Hounds
Freshman
Posts 89
03-12-08 05:54 PM - Post#46475    

I also just noticed the comment about us having to come in with another team to keep the even number. Here's a couple names to throw out:

St. Bonaventure - now completely over their head in the A-10

The Mount - also a complete outpost for their conference, home and away with them every year would be intense.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-12-08 06:38 PM - Post#46479    

• Quote:
- I agree completely with whoever said that the school wouldn't build a big new stadium without some kind of parallel commitment to the program itself. I'm not sure that this means football but it must mean a move to take the next step generally.

I just don't know what Loyola would do with a facility that big if they weren't thinking football at some point down the road. It's overkill for anything else.

It's 6,000 seats - Bigger than Georgetown's stadium and about the same size as Fordham's. (Football only members of the Patriot League) The artist's renderings make it look like an absolute showplace.

The naming rights for the grandstand alone were quoted at 5 million bucks.

I don't know if Men's Lax draws 6k a game. (Vs. Hopkins and/or Towson, perhaps?)

Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Field Hockey, and Women's Lax combined probably don't draw much more than 6k over a school year.

I donated (very little) toward the thing, and I still can't figure out what they are going to do with it, considering they can't get kids to walk to the dead center of campus for basketball games as it is. How are they going to get kids motivated to take a shuttle to the other side of I-83 for men's lax, let alone a soccer game?

I more or less think Loyola's planning on building it because they believe the money is there - they'll figure out what to do with it later.

On another issue, the MAAC kills enthusiasm. Marist coming to Evergreen? Meh. Army or Navy coming to Evergreen? That's something worth the effort.

The budding rivalry with Fairfield is kind of cool. Maybe they would make a good "Patriot Partner" for Loyola...

BUPilot
Masters Student
Posts 641
BUPilot
03-13-08 01:27 PM - Post#46527    

Hi folks,

I thought I'd pop on over from the Bucknell board since Lou was kind enough to offer an invitation to comment on Loyola potentially joining the Patriot League. I have no special or inside knowledge regarding P.L. league expansion plans but I let me share some thoughts on the subject based upon past discussions among Bucknell and some fans of other Patriot League schools about league expansion (which the fans are certainly in favor of having occur).

First of all & without intending any offense whatsoever to Loyola, I think it's pretty unlikely that Loyola will be able to enter the Patriot League without having at least one if not more New England/New York based schools join at the same time. The reason - geographical balance and the plight of our conference friends at Holy Cross. Much as Loyola views itself as the southern outpost of the MAAC, Holy Cross is the Patriot League's northern most branch & has the toughest travel schedule for league play. There are already grumblings from time to time about the travel (and some would say attracting fan support) difficulties that Holy Cross faces in the P.L. as a result of this geography. Adding additional 'southern' schools without offsetting 'northern' ones could ultimately help lead to a decision by Holy Cross to leave the league if those difficulties were only perceived as increasing. And I think it's safe to say that the Patriot League would rather remain in its present form than add practically any southern school that might be a good fit (e.g. potentially Loyola, Richmond, W&M, etc.) at the cost of losing Holy Cross. Thus, the geographic issue likely needs to be dealt with even before you get to the question of whether Loyola standing alone would make a good addition to the Patriot League academically & athletically.

This raises the question then of who could be a good 'partner' to accompany Loyola into the Patriot League. I think a lot of P.L. fans would love to get Fordham back as an all sports member. It's academically comparable & has a great location in NYC for the league & is a reasonable trip from Holy Cross as well. Additionally, it could be a good athletic fit since the Rams haven't exactly been covering themselves in A-10 glory either in basketball or other sports. Unfortunately, any discussions along those lines run into Fordham alumni opposing what they see as a downgrade to the Patriot League - even if the P.L. really would be a much better fit for the school. Beyond that, I'm not really sure who the P.L. schools would view as both academically and athletically compatible institutions in the Northeast (and who would be looking to make a switch in affiliation). Some Patriot League fans have tossed around the names of Fairfield or Marist as potential additions, but neither school apparently has made a solid enough case for gaining membership to the Patriot League - assuming either would even be interested in switching conferences.

Anyway, I don't mean to rain on the rumor since I'm certainly in favor of growing the Patriot League. But I figured you should know what kinds of issues would likely figure prominently among the current P.L. members when considering future growth. And of course all of this assumes that the current members viewed Loyola (or any other aspirant) as a compatible fit in academics & athletics.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-13-08 01:47 PM - Post#46529    

Thanks BUPilot. That is exactly the sort of insight I was hoping we would get.

Obviously this is more us gabbing than anything. If anything is happening my bet is it involves finding a more permanent home for our lax program and nothing more. It is worth noting though that our president is a long-time Holy Cross teacher/administrator and HC and LC have representatives on each other's board. I don't think Loyola's admin would be comfortable being the only Catholic school in a league, so I think if there was a chance to join the PL it would be with HC's blessing and support and not something that would potentially drive them away.

Fairfield and Loyola are both rivals on the court and very similar off, and have strong ties. Of all the MAAC schools I would love to bring them along but they are one of those programs living that fantasy that the A-10 secretly wants them but just has not realized it yet. Sort of Fordham's disease.

Curious... would Loyola adding non-scholarship football make us more attractive? Also, does the PL give scholarships/grants for non-rev sports?

One last thing worth mentioning: It is a great tribute to the PL and the work it has done that we are even having this conversation. My bet is a decade ago most Loyola fans would have considered joining the PL as giving up on athletics, now we are clamoring for it.
Jesus loves me.

loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-13-08 02:28 PM - Post#46532    

I know this thread has a lot of what if's. but when i was bored i started looking around at the budgets and things like that. Loyola matches up pretty well with the basketball budgets, in 07 LC spent around 1.4 mil. on mens basketball while Holy Cross who had the highest in the PL spent around 1.6 mil. so its right in the same range. obviously some of the schools have larger overall athletic budgets due to the fact that they support football, baseball, softball, etc that LC does not have currently. If the ECAC folded for lax then i think the PL would be a much better fit than the MAAC where we would dominate every year, it could provide for some great matchups with Navy. Also looking at soccer it would probably be much more competitive, loyola has dominated MAAC soccer for years mens and womens so it would be a better fit. Looking at the larger picture it would be an upgrade in almost every sport.
As far as the new staduium foreshadowing football, i doubt it. The lax team does draw upwards of 5000 for several games a year ND, Syracuse, Hopkins. A year or so ago there was an article in the greyhound about adding a football team and while a non scholarship league would be the way to go i cant see it being economically feasible. In that article they talked about how expensive it was and if attendance was poor it could be a huge money trap and with Towson, Hopkins, and UMD, and the Ravens all being close by I cant see people spending their money to see a startup Loyola football team. They mentioned Fairfield's attempt at football a few years ago and how it lasted only a couple years and had to fold because it was losing money.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

BUPilot
Masters Student
Posts 641
BUPilot
03-13-08 03:11 PM - Post#46534    

• Lou Said:
Thanks BUPilot. That is exactly the sort of insight I was hoping we would get.

Obviously this is more us gabbing than anything. If anything is happening my bet is it involves finding a more permanent home for our lax program and nothing more. It is worth noting though that our president is a long-time Holy Cross teacher/administrator and HC and LC have representatives on each other's board. I don't think Loyola's admin would be comfortable being the only Catholic school in a league, so I think if there was a chance to join the PL it would be with HC's blessing and support and not something that would potentially drive them away.

Fairfield and Loyola are both rivals on the court and very similar off, and have strong ties. Of all the MAAC schools I would love to bring them along but they are one of those programs living that fantasy that the A-10 secretly wants them but just has not realized it yet. Sort of Fordham's disease.

Curious... would Loyola adding non-scholarship football make us more attractive? Also, does the PL give scholarships/grants for non-rev sports?

One last thing worth mentioning: It is a great tribute to the PL and the work it has done that we are even having this conversation. My bet is a decade ago most Loyola fans would have considered joining the PL as giving up on athletics, now we are clamoring for it.

Thanks for the compliments re: Patriot League improvement. While I don't know that it will ever get to be a consistent 2 bid league, I have great faith that the P.L. is on course for continuing improvement in basketball now that every member finally is offering scholarships.

I can't help but think that adding non-scholarship football would improve the appeal of a Loyola to the Patriot League. I suspect, however, that the league would want any 'football' member to be affiliated in most if not all sports since the league already has 2 football affiliates in Fordham & Georgetown. If a school came along with quality academics and competitive athletics, having a full member w/a football team could only be a good thing. But again, there would be the issue of finding a qualified geographically northern 'partner' to accompany Loyola or any other southern school into the league.

As an aside, there was a brief bit of gossip by at least one Lehigh blogger not too long ago that Marist was interested in joining the P.L. for football but it wasn't able to be worked out. _IF_ that was in fact the case (and I have no idea if the blogger's sources were accurate), I wouldn't be surprised if a big hang-up might have been Marist only wanting to join as a football affiliate instead of in all sports and the league not wanting a 3rd football only affiliate.

As to the question about scholarships/grants for non-revenue sports, it depends on the school & the sport. In addition to the service academies where everyone's on full scholarship (though with the post-graduate service requirement), Colgate, Lafayette, and American all give aid in selected sports. I know that Colgate offers aid in swimming but I'm not sure what the other individual sports are that aid is offered by each of those 3 schools. There's also scuttlebutt rumors that Holy Cross may join them in offering aid in selected but yet to be known sports. I suspect that eventually most of the P.L. schools will end up offering some type of merit aid/grants in selected non-revenue sports.

BUPilot
Masters Student
Posts 641
BUPilot
03-13-08 03:15 PM - Post#46535    

• loco09 Said:
I know this thread has a lot of what if's. but when i was bored i started looking around at the budgets and things like that. Loyola matches up pretty well with the basketball budgets, in 07 LC spent around 1.4 mil. on mens basketball while Holy Cross who had the highest in the PL spent around 1.6 mil. so its right in the same range. obviously some of the schools have larger overall athletic budgets due to the fact that they support football, baseball, softball, etc that LC does not have currently.

Just an FYI - while the publicly released budgets are interesting, they shouldn't be taken too seriously in comparing schools beyond determining whether they're at least in the same expenditures ballpark. That's because there's no uniform rules on how certain expenses must be allocated/charged within an athletic department or to a specific sport. Beyond seeing whether 2 schools are roughly comparable in terms of support, I wouldn't try to rely on them to 'prove' that one school is spending "X" amount more on basketball or some other sport than another school.

loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
03-13-08 03:29 PM - Post#46539    

I know, mainly I was just looking to see if as u said were in the same ballpark. I wanted to see if there was a big gap in spending between MAAC schools and the PL that would possibly be a roadblock in moving to a new league.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 03:36 PM - Post#46540    

• Quote:
As far as the new staduium foreshadowing football, i doubt it. The lax team does draw upwards of 5000 for several games a year ND, Syracuse, Hopkins. A year or so ago there was an article in the greyhound about adding a football team and while a non scholarship league would be the way to go i cant see it being economically feasible.

I know from following Georgetown how tough it is to get a Patriot League football team off the ground. G-town went from Division III, to the MAAC, to the Patriot League in less than ten years.

Since joining the Patriot, however, it's been a major struggle for the Hoyas both on the field and at the gate.

Georgetown football is also crippled by the students' perception that 1) Georgetown doesn't have a team or 2) Georgetown has a team but they suck, so there's no point in going to a game. I could easily see a Loyola football program struggling with these same issues. And that's with the stadium in the middle of campus, not a mile away by bus.

As you also pointed out, even non-scholarship football is insanely expensive. The insurance bill alone would make your head spin.

On the other hand, without football, Loyola will have a 6,000 seat stadium that is necessary only four or five days a year. That hardly sounds like a good return on investment.

The stadium project seems like an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Loyola will build the stadium because they can, and figure out how to use it later. My concern is that with the location and the general apathy of the student body toward athletics, the stadium will be underutilized. Out of sight, out of mind...
MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-13-08 03:37 PM - Post#46541    

they'll use it for soccer

also expect it to be used majorly for rentals, especially for local big HS football, soccer, and lax games. it will return its own investments just on rentals within 10 years.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 03:44 PM - Post#46543    

MacDog, since when does Soccer need a 6,000 seat stadium? I recall crowds for Soccer being closer to 600 fans than 6,000.

Also, I can't see a Loyola stadium doing well in the rental market when big HS games are already going to Ravens Stadium.

If you were organizing the Loyola/Calvert Hall game, would you give up playing it in an NFL stadium?

MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-13-08 03:54 PM - Post#46544    

missing the vision

once they have a stadium, there is no longer a need for diane geppi aikens field. they will be able to build on it - extending the studnet center and i believe creating more academic space.

with the stadium, that space will now get games like the miaa lacrosse finals, which were being played on hopkins field. also, expect otehr games to get play there - maybe not loyola / chc but therre are other big matchups like state semifinals, big city games (city/poly) etc.

i'm sure it will be used - you don't build a building like that without using it.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 04:10 PM - Post#46546    

I get that they want to use Geppi-Aikens for another academic quad. But to build a facility like that without the appropriate "anchors" is a recipe for disaster. It's like building a major mall without department stores...

Soccer is not an anchor sport, warranting a multi-million dollar stadium. No offense, but it just isn't. Seriously, does the level of support for any sport at Loyola (including Men's lax) warrant that kind of investment?

And then to stake the sucess of the venue on finding day-rentals makes it a really risky proposition. Particularly where you are competing with any number of facilities across the area.

I'd be thrilled if they built it, because I like it when Loyola has nice things, but the strategy doesn't make a whole lot of sense...
LIHFunited
Freshman
Posts 72
03-13-08 04:17 PM - Post#46547    

Gosh. While I completely understand the financial aspect of all of this time, losing Geppi-Aikens is going to absolutely destroy outdoor intramural and club sports. Where are these kids going to play?

I still don't understand the need for a 6,000 seat stadium and I haven't since I learned of the project my freshman year. However, Macdog is most likely right in that we will make money on rentals in 10-15 years time. I don't know what games are being played at Ravens Stadium, but I'm sure there are some local HS/college games that will utilize the fields.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 04:23 PM - Post#46549    

Presumably the FAC would pick up the slack on club sports, but I don't know how that would work because I've never set foot in the place. Way after our time. I hear it's really nice, though.

Ravens Stadium has Loyola/Calvert Hall football on Thanksgiving, and some of the state football championships. Byrd Stadium has the rest.

IslandHound
Freshman
Posts 9
03-13-08 04:37 PM - Post#46550    

MJF is correct intramurals for soccer and those sports would move to the field out back of the FAC....i am not sure however if it is big enough for baseball but i highly doubt it. I also know from personal experience that drainage and holes was a problem for that field but i believe that was being taken care of this school year or next year.

I am not sure what LC has in store for this new building but i would hope that before they built it they had an idea as to how they could atleast break even and make some sort of money....whether it be a football team or rentals. I would like to have enough faith in my alma mater that they would be intelligent enough to do that.
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
03-13-08 04:44 PM - Post#46551    

the fac is awful for outdoor sports though.. the one field they have is usually muddy and is completely uneven... so i dont see that as a solution to the intramural and club sports unless they made an improvement upon that.... also the space in front of the fac is slanted and on a hill with a decent amount of trees, so if they were to get rid of dga.. they would have to remodel the fac too if they planned to keep space for club/ intramural sports
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 04:54 PM - Post#46552    

Evidently, there would be a bunch of fields around the new stadium, but again, you'd have drive or take a bus to your flag football game or whatever.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-13-08 04:57 PM - Post#46553    

• MJF Said:
I get that they want to use Geppi-Aikens for another academic quad. But to build a facility like that without the appropriate "anchors" is a recipe for disaster. It's like building a major mall without department stores...

Soccer is not an anchor sport, warranting a multi-million dollar stadium. No offense, but it just isn't. Seriously, does the level of support for any sport at Loyola (including Men's lax) warrant that kind of investment?

I think you are way overthinking it. Everything you say is true of a mall or any other for-profit business, but not nearly as important to the College. They are not building this field as a revenue-generator, and are not going to need income from the field to pay for it. You already mentioned where the money is coming from... YOU!

Truth is from Loyola's perspective land > money. They are willing to spend money to gain main-campus land. The fact that the field was due replacement and outdoor sports have complained that the lack of a real stadium hurts recruiting is just a bonus.

I think MacDog is correct that they will look for more uses of the facility, and it would not surprise me if they find some (conference tournaments in lax and soccer, for example, or non-Ravens Stadium sized HS sports events). Perhaps CND will be playing some of their outdoor sports there too. But extra revenue is secondary, compared to gaining access to the field land for new buildings, and to some extent having a real stadium.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 05:46 PM - Post#46554    

I'm concerned with the "white elephant" factor where you spend all this money to build something that is way off campus (much farther than Boumi Temple) that will inevitably end up being underused in terms of both "actual use" and attendance.

I understand that in this setting the stadium doesn't have to profitable the way, say, Nationals Park, has to be. But it also can't be building for the sake of building, either. (Which is a criticism I have of the school in general, anyway. If it were up to me, Maryland Hall would still have pea green tile, but what do I know?)

Think about it, we're seriously talking about building a multi-million dollar stadium to clear space for multiple multi-million dollar academic buildings. (Of course, if the economy goes south, all bets are off.)

I guess it comes back to the inital question of whether it is going to be "Loyola College" or "Loyola University..."
PFE_Hounds
Freshman
Posts 89
03-13-08 06:01 PM - Post#46555    

MJF - you have brought the 80-post thread full circle!!
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 06:10 PM - Post#46556    

What do I win?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-13-08 07:31 PM - Post#46559    

• MJF Said:
I'm concerned with the "white elephant" factor where you spend all this money to build something that is way off campus (much farther than Boumi Temple) that will inevitably end up being underused in terms of both "actual use" and attendance.

I understand that in this setting the stadium doesn't have to profitable the way, say, Nationals Park, has to be. But it also can't be building for the sake of building, either. (Which is a criticism I have of the school in general, anyway. If it were up to me, Maryland Hall would still have pea green tile, but what do I know?)

Think about it, we're seriously talking about building a multi-million dollar stadium to clear space for multiple multi-million dollar academic buildings. (Of course, if the economy goes south, all bets are off.)

I guess it comes back to the inital question of whether it is going to be "Loyola College" or "Loyola University..."

Again, you are not wrong in your concerns. But I am telling you that you are much more worried about this than the administration is. And I don't mean that as a slame against them. It is nothing that any other college admin wouldn't do in the same situation. This is all part of the culture that has led college spending to grow at 3x the inflation rate for the last twenty years.

It may be an underused white elephant. If it were a business decision it would be a difficult one to make. But it is not part of the college calculus. It is just not the way things work.

I don't want to get off on another rant about "nonprofits" that have $140mm in the bank and leave 21 year olds to the world with on average $40k in debt, but I will say this is something to think about the next time they call and ask for money. The Nats would never call and ask for a donation. That is a source of revenue they can't even dream of.

As lame of an answer as it is, the truth is "it is different."
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-13-08 08:51 PM - Post#46561    

I've given the Nats plenty of "donations" over the past three years. Hopefully, they'll start to pay off soon...

On the one hand, I'm glad to see the college grow and expand.

On the other hand, I would hate for Loyola to lose that "cozy" feeling that sets it apart.

On the business side, you're right. If a business makes a bad decision, profits go down and the investors get angry.

If a college makes a bad business decision, they raise tuiton and start calling the alumni during dinnertime...

(Did you see that the Ivys are planning on dipping into their endowments so they can expand grants to middle-class and upper-middle-class students?)

MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-13-08 09:32 PM - Post#46563    

Some of the Ivys have such large endowments that they will soon be able to offer "free" education to anyone who makes it in.
jdubs
Freshman
Posts 90
03-14-08 01:09 PM - Post#46579    

the stadium is good for the school to show prospective students (basketball players) that we have a legit stadium like almost every other school in the country.
It will be sad to see GA field go and those wonderful memories hurting myself on that damn turf playing flag football and softball. They do need to find a replacement for intramurals. What about the field at Notre Dame?
Will be nice for the school to finally have a track. Its pretty sad that the xc/track team has to use Gilman and Hopkins.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 01:31 PM - Post#46581    

http://www.loyola.edu/bin/n/p/Athletic3-ari al-top....

• Loyola Agenda of Needs Said:
Intercollegiate Athletic Complex

Preparing Tomorrow has surpassed $90 million - a new campaign milestone, as efforts continue to fully fund several campaign priorities, with the Intercollegiate Athletic Complex chief among those.

The Intercollegiate Athletic Complex is one of the campaign's most exciting projects, and one with perhaps the greatest potential to transform Loyola for decades to come.

While Loyola College competes successfully at the top NCAA Division I level, it has done so without the top-flight facilities its competitors enjoy. The planned Intercollegiate Athletic Complex promises to strengthen Loyola’s continued ascent in intercollegiate athletics, and to enhance the pride and recognition this success brings.

Loyola’s Intercollegiate Athletic Complex will feature:

-- 6,000 seat, four-level grandstand
-- Stone and steel construction
-- Natural grass home field with a synthetic base
-- Parking for 360 vehicles, and access to public transportation
-- NCAA-regulation running track
-- Two practice fields
-- Unique concourse level entryway that provides uninterrupted sightlines from the seats to the field
-- Spacious home and visiting team locker rooms
-- State-of-the-art athlete health and training center
-- Team meeting rooms wired for video, voice and data

Additionally, naming opportunities for the College’s benefactors are numerous.

I can see it now: Father Joseph Sellinger Field @ Steven A Miles Stadium
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 01:37 PM - Post#46582    

The website doesn't say how much more fundraising it needs to do before they can break ground. Sounds like the kind of thing that will not happen for years.

Also, I assumed this was on the Boumi Temple site - but per this thread, that is incorrect.

So where the hell are they planning to put this exactly?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 01:52 PM - Post#46583    

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&am p;geoc...

If this works you should see some trees just south of Cold Spring, on the west side of I-83, with some roads snaking through it. That land, which is apparently a former landfill, is where I believe the stadium is going.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 02:23 PM - Post#46585    

• Lou Said:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&am p;geoc...

If this works you should see some trees just south of Cold Spring, on the west side of I-83, with some roads snaking through it. That land, which is apparently a former landfill, is where I believe the stadium is going.

that doesn't really make much sense to me either.

why wouldn't they do it at Boumi? or is that where the new aquatic and fitness center is located?
MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-14-08 02:29 PM - Post#46586    

yes that is where the nearly 10 year old fitness and aquatic center is located
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 02:51 PM - Post#46590    

• MacDog Said:
yes that is where the nearly 10 year old fitness and aquatic center is located

there i go showing my age again...

i have to say, i just looked at google sateliite image of the campus and i really don't understand why they need to go to the other side of 83 to build. so much unused space on the campus of Notre Dame - which i thought Loyola now owns.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 03:20 PM - Post#46592    

• johndpuccio Said:
i have to say, i just looked at google sateliite image of the campus and i really don't understand why they need to go to the other side of 83 to build. so much unused space on the campus of Notre Dame - which i thought Loyola now owns.

Tons of problems with that...
(1) Loyola does not own CND
(2) Loyola signed agreements with the neighborhood restricting central campus development
(3) Loyola's purchase agreement for the temple land limits the % of the land that can be developed
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 03:31 PM - Post#46595    

• Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:

Tons of problems with that...
(1) Loyola does not own CND
(2) Loyola signed agreements with the neighborhood restricting central campus development
(3) Loyola's purchase agreement for the temple land limits the % of the land that can be developed

seems to me they made some short sighted deals then.

they have really shoe-horned that central campus in there. only space being Cirly field - and building there - wouldn't that be central campus development?

someone needs to call state senator clay davis. let'$ unwork $ome of the$e term$ with the right people....

and forget the other side of 83.

(if you build a white elephant, but no one can see it, does it exist?)
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 03:38 PM - Post#46598    

You wanna build a lacrosse stadium in my district?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 03:56 PM - Post#46599    

• johndpuccio Said:
seems to me they made some short sighted deals then.

they have really shoe-horned that central campus in there. only space being Cirly field - and building there - wouldn't that be central campus development?

someone needs to call state senator clay davis. let'$ unwork $ome of the$e term$ with the right people....

and forget the other side of 83.

(if you build a white elephant, but no one can see it, does it exist?)

been a long time since you stumbled drunk around Guilford, eh?
Me too, but I can recall that the neighborhoods around Loyola have a lot more money combined than the school, so if you want us to win an influence/bribery contest with our neighbors you had better get out your checkbook in a big way.

This goes back more than 2 decades. Previous efforts to expand the campus were being blocked in court and by city hall. Baltimore’s administration at the time sided with the neighborhood at almost every turn, trying to stem what at the time was an even more dramatic flight by the middle/upper class to the county. Loyola had a moratorium on building anything on their central campus, and restricted on what they could buy. Remember, you need permits from the city to dig and build.

The solution was a covenant negotiated with the Guilford neighborhood with the city. The result of that covenant, which has been modified many times, is things like Knott Hall, the old Jesuit residence becoming classrooms and offices, the new business school building, and the improvements to what used to be Charleston. Put simply those short-sited deals have allowed the school to become what it is today.

But there were some restrictions, including putting permanent stadium seats on center campus (the reason for the bleachers at Curley), early lights out for intermurals and other events on the field, agreements not to build "visible" parking garages, and limitations on future development. We can always go back to the neighborhood and modify the covenants again, but each time we do so we have to give something up to get them to agree to change. Trying to do so unilaterally figures to be an expensive and painfully long legal process.

So you need to pick your battles. The stadium is perhaps the least likely thing to ever get neighbors to build on campus, and takes a ton of land. The city meanwhile was happy to give us the landfill site, so happy that they largely have blown off its (poorer) neighbors who wanted it to remain trees (though Loyola did agree to preserve trees on the site).

So were the agreements short-sighted? Maybe in some opinions, but I doubt Loyola would change history if they could. We have gone from nothing and no growth to dramatic improvements to the campus thanks to them, and despite the limitations they have created a lot of good for the school has come out of them as well.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 04:15 PM - Post#46600    

you've just confirmed for me that those decisions were entirely short sighted - or at best - medium sighted deals.

here's the thing. the long view is to grow. attract more students. shed the commuter school status. become a truly great institution.

if that is the objective - the location of the school doesn't really matter. Loyola was not always at Evergreen (it was downtown) - so perhaps instead of developing the finite real estate that exists, why not explore relocating the campus somehwere else in Maryland? Someplace you can do everything you want and have room to grow? Plenty of room in Maryland to do that.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 04:20 PM - Post#46602    

This conversation is beginning to sound like something out of "dynasty mode" on an NCAA video game...
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 04:26 PM - Post#46604    

Just kidding of course, John.

But all kidding aside, and I think Lou may have a take on this as well, it amazes me how much they've turned Loyola into a miniature version of Georgetown since we've graduated.

This may be in part because GU does battle with the neighbors in Berleith, the way Loyola does battle with the neighbors in Gilford.

(As an aside, and not to brag. I was up in Baltimore for work today and had lunch at Alonso's. The Alonsoburger is as good as it ever was...)
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 04:34 PM - Post#46605    

possible relocation site scouted...

http://media.www.loyolagreyhound.com/media/storage...
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 04:41 PM - Post#46607    

• Quote:
possible relocation site scouted...

Disclaimer:
Vaccinations not included. School is not responsible in the event of armed insurrection.

Maybe they can open a branch of Field's Old Trail in downtown Accra.

The only problem will be when they try to ship over all those SUV's with New Jersey plates...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 04:51 PM - Post#46608    

• johndpuccio Said:
you've just confirmed for me that those decisions were entirely short sighted - or at best - medium sighted deals.

here's the thing. the long view is to grow. attract more students. shed the commuter school status. become a truly great institution.

if that is the objective - the location of the school doesn't really matter. Loyola was not always at Evergreen (it was downtown) - so perhaps instead of developing the finite real estate that exists, why not explore relocating the campus somehwere else in Maryland? Someplace you can do everything you want and have room to grow? Plenty of room in Maryland to do that.

Your checkbook is bigger than I thought!

I will say the most short-sighted decision made in the last 30 years was selling the Mount St. Ag site to USFG, which became St. Paul, which sold it to JHU. That would be a ton of land to rebuild the campus, in a great location (Mt. Washington) that would have welcomed us better.

Whether or not the school would be wiser to pack up and head for the exburbs instead of building a stadium 1 mi. from campus is a good idea I will have to think about. I think I prefer current location, live within some boundries. I can tell you from a project I have some ties to that it is expensive to build from scratch.
$34 million just to build the base, in a much cheaper area to build.

Edit: Moving the campus would have at least some advantage for Loyola. I wouldn't have wanted to go there if it was out there like the Mount. And if I wasn't alum most lives around here would be better if nothing else.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 05:04 PM - Post#46610    

• Quote:
Whether or not the school would be wiser to pack up and head for the exburbs instead of building a stadium 1 mi. from campus is a good idea I will have to think about.

Moving the school because you can't build a stadium on campus is like trading in your car because it needs a new windshield wiper.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 05:09 PM - Post#46611    

I realize that is not really what JP was saying, he was talking more broadly than just the stadium. But I think the middle ground of working within limitations and taking advantage of whatever opportunities you have is better than setting up shop in the middle of nowhere.

I would also hate to let the neighbors "win." Remember a member of this group is the one who put it in their will that the Homewood land would never be owned by "the Papists."
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 05:14 PM - Post#46612    

Frankly, I would love it if Loyola chilled on the building for about ten years and sunk some money into holding the line on tuition instead.

Otherwise my kids may have to go to school in Ghana for real...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 05:25 PM - Post#46614    

Give them a reason. Not just you, but an entire generation.
They have shot up tuition and costs, and have their highest enrollments and application numbers in history. Meanwhile all colleges continue to build to try to offer the most updated facilities to attract future students. There is no logical reason for them to lower their costs.

It is an ugly cycle that only the most expensive have been guilted out of.

I don't mean to rant, but this is a real annoyance of mine. The fact that the U.S. tax code calls these places nonprofits is beyond me. The only difference between Loyola and the Univ. of Phoenix is no one can donate to U. of Phoenix.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-14-08 05:33 PM - Post#46615    

The reason will be when the easy student loan credit dries up.

How does this grab you? A Loyola education "out the door" (books, fees, room and board, and tuition) was a little more than 41 grand last year.

At a 7% increase each year, we're talking 113 large A YEAR when my kids reach college age in about 15 years.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 06:00 PM - Post#46618    

• Lou Said:
I realize that is not really what JP was saying, he was talking more broadly than just the stadium.

thank you. you have to admit - look at that google satellite map... the campus configuration is very odd with so many restrictions - going to say Howard County wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. too late now, but it should have been contemplated. in hindsight, obvs.

MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-14-08 06:11 PM - Post#46623    

curley field can be built on because it is already constructed area (it is a big concrete slab already) so it is already considered 'developed land.'

i'm actually hearing there will be more joint projects between loyola and condom. if that happens, expect their land to be 'ripe' for development ;-).
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-14-08 06:29 PM - Post#46625    

• johndpuccio Said:
  • Lou Said:
I realize that is not really what JP was saying, he was talking more broadly than just the stadium.

thank you. you have to admit - look at that google satellite map... the campus configuration is very odd with so many restrictions - going to say Howard County wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. too late now, but it should have been contemplated. in hindsight, obvs.

The problem is you are kidding yourself if you think they could afford a huge piece of land plus construction costs in somewhere like Howard or even Carroll County. We aren't talking the suburbs, we are talking "Ever" Green Acres. And I don't know if they can become the school they want to be in Mt. St. Mattress' neighborhood.

MacDog: I think a continued and expanding JV with CND is the most likely thing to happen. I doubt there will be an outright sale or merger any time soon, but over time they will blend their resources and faculties and offerings.

To this day women can still get a degree from "Newcomb College" or something like that instead of Tulane U. as the result of a merger 50 years ago. Maybe something like that will happen.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-14-08 09:07 PM - Post#46640    

• Lou Said:

The problem is you are kidding yourself if you think they could afford a huge piece of land plus construction costs in somewhere like Howard or even Carroll County. We aren't talking the suburbs, we are talking "Ever" Green Acres. And I don't know if they can become the school they want to be in Mt. St. Mattress' neighborhood.

No, you're absolutely right. They can't afford something so drastic now. The only option really is to continue to battle the neighbors and take over CND. They will never become the school they seem to aspire to be until that happens.

That's why this project on the otherside of 83 makes no sense. I also notice they don't disclose the actual location of the "stadium" on the capital campaign website.

just looked at the "arial view" question: with capacity for 6,000 people, where are they all going to park?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-19-08 02:39 PM - Post#47157    

Anyone else notice that since this thread got going, the google ads server on the side of the board has started constantly running this ad...
http://loyola.edu-search.com/?s_kwcid=ContentNetwo ...

Further proof that the name change would clear the confusion over who Loyola is and allow us to stand alone.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-19-08 02:44 PM - Post#47158    

• Lou Said:
Anyone else notice that since this thread got going, the google ads server on the side of the board has started constantly running this ad...
http://loyola.edu-search.com/?s_kwcid=ContentNetwo ...

Further proof that the name change would clear the confusion over who Loyola is and allow us to stand alone.

Stand alone? I'm starting to question that concept.

Perhaps the more the Loyola brand blends together, the better off we all are. What better way to tackle lack of brand awareness by uniting together as one!

Loyola University, Maryland Campus.

I'm now an alum of a nationally recognized university. This is fantastic!

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-19-08 02:51 PM - Post#47159    

Loyola
University of
Maryland

We put the LUM in aLUMni.

or wait a minute. Perhaps we are being annexed by the state. Look at how that reads:

Loyola University of Maryland.

We can swap out green and grey for red and yellow. Adoption never felt so good.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-19-08 03:05 PM - Post#47160    

I would much rather stand alone than be associated with LOY-NO. And I say that as someone who has had many relatives graduate from there and who likes the school. It just ain't that good. Unsure about the other two.

But the concept of a school with campuses all over the nation? You could be on to something. Perhaps then people would compare us to schools like this one.

The more and more I think on this the more I am convinced the solution is to buy that girl's school next door and take its name. Perhaps we can use the opportunity to dump the Greyhound and come up with a new mascot as well, maybe one that reflect's Baltimore's strong Irish heritage and those people's tendency towards tenacity. That we we can really stand out nationally and avoid all confusion.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-19-08 03:35 PM - Post#47164    

Thumbnail breakdown of the Loyolas.

Chicago - It has a better reputation than we do. Easily. And it is the one most often assumed when I say I went to "Loyola". They also won the 1963 NCAA championship in basketball.

Marymount - Hank Gathers/Bo Kimble/Lots of points/California. No idea about them otherwise. I'm sure teh weather is nice.

New Orleans - It's hard to expect great grades from anyone who attends college near the French Quarter. It must be the high school graduate equivalent of winning the lottery.

Maryland - Only "college" - woo hoo! Always bothered by Loyola of Maryland - as if they are apologizing for not being in Baltimore. It's like the Orioles who will not put the city name on the away jersey. No need for Bawlmer shame people. No one outside of DC sees it as a stigma.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-19-08 03:52 PM - Post#47165    

LMU apparently has a beautiful campus with views of the Pacific. #3 most beautiful in the nation per the Princeton Review.

Marymount House at Loyola College had a beautiful view of the Gardens Grocer...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-19-08 04:03 PM - Post#47166    

• jdp 94 Said:
Maryland - Only "college" - woo hoo! Always bothered by Loyola of Maryland - as if they are apologizing for not being in Baltimore. It's like the Orioles who will not put the city name on the away jersey. No need for Bawlmer shame people. No one outside of DC sees it as a stigma.

Funny you should make this point. For the same technical reasons that we should be a U and not a C, we must technically be "of Maryland" and not "of Baltimore" since we have grad campuses in Howard and Hartford Counties, and perhaps others.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-19-08 04:16 PM - Post#47167    

• Quote:
Loyola College is the first college in the United States to bear the name of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, and is the ninth oldest among the nation's 28 Jesuit colleges and universities. The Loyola College Trustees in 1977 adopted the name Loyola College in Maryland to differentiate the institution from the three other Loyolas (Chicago, Los Angeles and New Orleans) and to better reflect the regional recruitment strategy that has characterized the school's dramatic growth and development from a local commuter school to a regional and residential university in the last three decades.

Per our friends at Wikipedia. Interesting...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-19-08 04:25 PM - Post#47168    

How is that interesting? All it tells us is they also had a new administration coming in on or around 1977!
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-19-08 04:28 PM - Post#47171    

• Quote:
The more and more I think on this the more I am convinced the solution is to buy that girl's school next door and take its name. Perhaps we can use the opportunity to dump the Greyhound and come up with a new mascot as well, maybe one that reflect's Baltimore's strong Irish heritage and those people's tendency towards tenacity. That we we can really stand out nationally and avoid all confusion.

Perhaps Loyola can put a mosaic on the side of the library and call it "Three Pointer Jesus."
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-19-08 04:32 PM - Post#47172    

Interesting in that "our Loyola" was first to bear the "Loyola" name, and that the name "Loyola College in Maryland" was chosen expressly to distinguish "Maryland" from "New Orleans," "Chicago," and L.A.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-19-08 04:38 PM - Post#47173    

Another interesting tid-bit is that Loyola was about ten years into Father Sellinger's administration when the name change to add the "in Maryland" was made.

Maybe it was when they did the rework of the school seal?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-19-08 05:33 PM - Post#47175    

• MJF Said:
Another interesting tid-bit is that Loyola was about ten years into Father Sellinger's administration when the name change to add the "in Maryland" was made.

Maybe it was when they did the rework of the school seal?

What branding firm did they use that year, I wonder.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-19-08 05:36 PM - Post#47176    

I see Lou is busy with the Wiki this week. We should start making outrageous claims and see how long it lasts. (BJ Pendelton was later drafted by the Dallas Mavericks in the 2nd round of the 1995 NBA amateur draft. And was an all-star alternate for the Western Conference representing the Vanccouver Grizzlies in 1998.

And I wish I could have heard that inane brainstorm session discussing the deciion to add "of Maryland" to the name Loyola College.

What else was on the short list?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-19-08 05:54 PM - Post#47180    

I love how when facts don't agree with your point of view you automatically assume a conspiracy. Next you are going to say the wiki entry that says "Message board poster Lou got a lot of action in college due to his extremely large p----" is fiction as well.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-19-08 10:28 PM - Post#47206    

• Lou Said:

But the concept of a school with campuses all over the nation? You could be on to something. Perhaps then people would compare us to schools like this one.

Say what you will, at least they got a stadium built and hosted a SuperBowl to boot.

We're playing lacrosse on a green parking lot, hosting juggernauts like Siena!
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-19-08 10:30 PM - Post#47207    

• Lou Said:
I love how when facts don't agree with your point of view you automatically assume a conspiracy. Next you are going to say the wiki entry that says "Message board poster Lou got a lot of action in college due to his extremely large p----" is fiction as well.

I don't know where you get that. Everyone knows the world is out to get me. You make it sound as if i'm paranoid.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-20-08 10:16 AM - Post#47239    

Speaking of members of the 1994 team, I ran into Dave Credle on the Metro something like 6 or 7 years ago.

It wasn't surprising that I recognized him. The shocker was that he recognized me from being in the crowd at the "Ricky Wohl mask" game.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-20-08 10:23 AM - Post#47240    

• Quote:
Say what you will, at least they got a stadium built and hosted a SuperBowl to boot.

Building a stadium is for suckers.

All you have to do is stick your name on the stadium that someone else is building so everyone thinks it's your stadium.

Then sit back and let the profits roll in.

(The best was that "Pink Taco" also submitted a bid for the naming rights to the Cards' stadium.)

How much would it cost to buy out the naming rights from M&T Bank so the Ravens would play at "Loyola College in Maryland Stadium?"

Who needs a stadium on the other side of 83?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
03-20-08 10:23 AM - Post#47241    

Dave was/is a great guy. Easy to forget how good he was in high school before the knee injuries happened. The tournament year it seemed Credle hit a jumper from the top of the paint in the first few minutes of every game, and then didn't take another non-layup shot all game. It was sort of a tradition.

Truthfully there were a lot of class acts on that team (ok, so not everyone). Matt Gabriel, Teron Owens (anyone who quits DeMatha is ok by me), Sparz, Ricky (who to his credit embraced the masks), Dave. And of course Tracy Bergan.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
03-20-08 10:30 AM - Post#47242    

Ricky was great about it. James kept a copy of the voice mail from him for a good long while.

The night Loyola won the MAAC will always be one of my top sporting memories. The game against Arizona is a little more fuzzy, as it were.

(The funny thing is that when the U of M wins something, they burn things in the streets of College Park. Loyola had the student body president trying to give a speech from on top of a dumpster in Charleston.)
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-20-08 12:06 PM - Post#47258    

• MJF Said:
  • Quote:

Building a stadium is for suckers.

All you have to do is stick your name on the stadium that someone else is building so everyone thinks it's your stadium.

Then sit back and let the profits roll in.

(The best was that "Pink Taco" also submitted a bid for the naming rights to the Cards' stadium.)

How much would it cost to buy out the naming rights from M&T Bank so the Ravens would play at "Loyola College in Maryland Stadium?"

Who needs a stadium on the other side of 83?

Too expensive. The cheaper and more effective option.

Loyola should buy the naming rights to the new Cole Field House. (Comcast Center?)

The Loyola University of Maryland Arena at College Park.

I can see it now...
DICKEY
Freshman
Posts 67
03-20-08 01:57 PM - Post#47275    

Anyone care to do an estimate about how much a name change to University would cost us (in terms of marketing, signage, creation of new logo, implementation of new logo, etc.)? That way we can see what possible alternatives exist with the money earmarked for the change.

Under the current contract, naming rights for Ravens Stadium cost $85MM over 15 years.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
03-20-08 04:57 PM - Post#47303    

This just in...

• Linnane Said:

Dear Alumni:

I write today to discuss a topic that has recently received significant attention in The Greyhound, our student newspaper, as well as the Baltimore and higher education media—our consideration of a possible name change from Loyola College to Loyola University.

As you may know, Loyola is currently in the midst of developing its next strategic plan, a process that will help shape the university's vision and goals for the next five to 10 years. This time of planning and reflection permits us to review and assess our strengths and opportunities as well as consider current conditions in higher education and our position in this environment. While the possibility of a name change was discussed approximately 10 years ago during a similar strategic planning process, it is now timely to reconsider this issue, taking into account all of the information that we have gathered about our own development and place in today's changing world.

Over the course of the last 10 years, Loyola has evolved in many ways, strengthening its graduate and professional programs and continuing its commitment to undergraduate education focused on the Jesuit tradition of the liberal arts. Changing our name now would better reflect our current circumstances and status as a comprehensive university, versus signifying a change in direction. We are at an important juncture with the addition of our planned School of Education, and a name change to Loyola University would strengthen the bond among the three schools.

While the name-change decision rests ultimately with Loyola's Board of Trustees, that decision will be informed by feedback gathered from Loyola constituent groups including students, faculty, alumni, and parents. For some months now, Loyola has been working with the higher education market research firm SimpsonScarborough to develop a comprehensive, integrated marketing plan for Loyola and all of its programs, and the firm is also facilitating the research surrounding the impact of a name change.

I realize that feelings on both sides of this issue are strong in the alumni community, and I welcome alumni to share their perspectives on this matter. If you have comments or questions about this topic, please feel free to direct them to feedback@loyola.edu.

Please accept my best wishes for a joyous and blessed Easter.

Sincerely,

Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
President

Brian
Senior
Posts 300
03-21-08 09:13 AM - Post#47338    

What, no mention of joining the ACC?

I hope SimpsonScarborough aren't the same ones who came up with "Believe" or "Get In On It".
MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
03-21-08 10:49 AM - Post#47346    

The City that Reads
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
04-30-08 02:25 PM - Post#48521    

Quick update on the stadium...
According to the latest edition of the Loyola alum magazine (motto: "Give us your money and no one gets hurt"), the stadium construction is underway. Seems someone gave them a $5mm anonymous donation. I don't feel it is my place to spoil the secret and say who the anonymous donor is. But jdp, your support of our lacrosse program is, as always, appreciated.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
04-30-08 02:26 PM - Post#48522    

And as a separate question, am I the only one who goes straight to the back of those mags just in hopes of seeing that someone I know has an even crummier life than I do, yet still feels some strange desire to brag about that life to his/her former classmates?
Jesus loves me.

LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
04-30-08 02:48 PM - Post#48525    

on the stadium.. loyola will takeover the lacrosse locker rooms when lacrosse moves which doesn't sound like that big of a deal but the lax facilities are a lot nicer than the basketballs right now so that'll be a good upgrade for us even if it means lax is getting the real upgrade. supposedly lax and soccer (m & w) are being moved to the stadium... and reitz is supposed to go under construction this year as well.. so much so that the summer camps are being canceled for it.. lot of talk about stuff but only for sure things are the new green bleachers and a new floor. should look a little better.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
04-30-08 03:13 PM - Post#48528    

• Lou Said:
And as a separate question, am I the only one who goes straight to the back of those mags just in hopes of seeing that someone I know has an even crummier life than I do, yet still feels some strange desire to brag about that life to his/her former classmates?

and skip yet another feature article on the importance of "diversity" at Evergreen?

shame, shame...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
04-30-08 03:48 PM - Post#48531    

• jdp 94 Said:
  • Lou Said:

and skip yet another feature article on the importance of "diversity" at Evergreen?

shame, shame...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
Locke is really a zombie.

No wait, wrong subject. Spoiler on the magazine... Loyola, obviously bucking all trends and trying to make its mark in an area where no one else is looking, IS DOING WHAT IT CAN TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT. Probably not by picking up all of the empties on Notre Dame Lane on the route from Butler to the liquor stores on York Road, but still doing plenty.

The bestest part is the title on the cover. Are you ready? (Wait for it...)

"Ever Green"

Nailed it.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
04-30-08 04:00 PM - Post#48533    

• LoCo2011 Said:
on the stadium.. loyola will takeover the lacrosse locker rooms when lacrosse moves which doesn't sound like that big of a deal but the lax facilities are a lot nicer than the basketballs right now so that'll be a good upgrade for us even if it means lax is getting the real upgrade. supposedly lax and soccer (m & w) are being moved to the stadium... and reitz is supposed to go under construction this year as well.. so much so that the summer camps are being canceled for it.. lot of talk about stuff but only for sure things are the new green bleachers and a new floor. should look a little better.

I find this impossible to believe. I have been surfing the internet long enough to know that for every positive action taken on behalf of the lax program there is an equal and opposite negative result for the hoops team. So how is it possible that building this stadium could actually be for the good of the entire school and its sports program, including basketball?

Kidding aside, good stuff. Thanks for the info. Honestly, I don't care either way. I am just excited for the opportunity to try a new response next time the phone-a-thon calls.

"Sorry, but I already made a $5 million donation to the new stadium anonymously."
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
04-30-08 09:17 PM - Post#48540    

• Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:
  • Lou Said:

shame, shame...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
Locke is really a zombie.

No wait, wrong subject. Spoiler on the magazine... Loyola, obviously bucking all trends and trying to make its mark in an area where no one else is looking, IS DOING WHAT IT CAN TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT. Probably not by picking up all of the empties on Notre Dame Lane on the route from Butler to the liquor stores on York Road, but still doing plenty.

The bestest part is the title on the cover. Are you ready? (Wait for it...)

"Ever Green"

Nailed it.

okay, i laughed out loud on that one...

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
04-30-08 09:21 PM - Post#48541    

• Lou Said:
  • LoCo2011 Said:

I find this impossible to believe. I have been surfing the internet long enough to know that for every positive action taken on behalf of the lax program there is an equal and opposite negative result for the hoops team. So how is it possible that building this stadium could actually be for the good of the entire school and its sports program, including basketball?

so isn't this hand-me-down "upgrade" all the evidence you need to know how Lax and Hoops are treated?

Their lax sticks may be gone, but the smell of their farts will last a lifetime. Oh thank you ghosts of Dave Cottle... thank you!
LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
05-01-08 12:18 AM - Post#48542    

the hopkins game this weekend will prove a lot.. even if hopkins isn't even up to standards yet... but from what lax websites ive seen loyola lacks in any respect at all and no one expects us to do anything at all... hope for some upsets.. maybe this will keep lax on the national scene for a little longer
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
05-01-08 09:02 AM - Post#48545    

When is the last time we beat Hopkins? Like 10 years ago?
MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
05-01-08 10:49 AM - Post#48552    

Did it at leastonce during my years on Evergreen - 97-01.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-01-08 11:15 AM - Post#48556    

I think it's time that we shift the vast majority of our athletic budget to a more obscure sport... One that will be much easier to dominate on a national collegiate level.

I'd say curling, but it will be tough to be taken seriously given the mid-atlantic location.

I'd say fencing, but I think the IVY league is already all over that.

Wait. How about Bowling? 10 pin or duck-pin, doesn't matter. Baltimore is ideally located to be home to a national powerhouse.

Get Boylan on the phone!
MacDog
Masters Student
Posts 437
05-01-08 11:19 AM - Post#48557    

Golf could work.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-01-08 11:49 AM - Post#48561    

• MacDog Said:
Golf could work.

too popular. and we can't compete with southern climate schools.

bowling is it I tell you!
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
05-01-08 12:03 PM - Post#48562    

• jdp 94 Said:
I'd say curling, but it will be tough to be taken seriously given the mid-atlantic location.

Showing your lack of sports knowledge once again! Maryland is a hotbed of curling.

http://www.chesapeakecurling.org/
http://www.curldc.org/

Meanwhile, no way we can compete with the Nebraskas of the world in college bowling.

http://www.ncaa.com/bowling/default.aspx?id=140

Edit: It appears another Maryland school has already beaten us to the punch when it comes to bowling.
http://www.ncaa.com/bowling/article.aspx?id=191912
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-01-08 01:22 PM - Post#48565    

Your lack of faith ios distrurbing.

Bowling was only sanctioned in 2004. It is early days my friend.

All we need is the right coach.

I nominate this man.

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/kingpin.jpg
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-01-08 01:26 PM - Post#48567    

Once we convert the old lacrosse locker room into a bowling alley, we will have the finest on-campus bowling facilities in Maryland.

We will eat MD Eastern Shore for lunch and ask for cornfed Nebraskan for dessert.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
05-01-08 01:32 PM - Post#48569    

• jdp 94 Said:

I've been wondering what Tom Schneider was up to.
Jesus loves me.

phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
05-01-08 02:14 PM - Post#48573    

Ok I checked the last time we beat Hopkins' was 1999. And we have beaten them 3 times ever.

So Hobart who we lost to last weekend in lax is moving down to D-3 now.
Brian
Senior
Posts 300
05-02-08 08:18 AM - Post#48587    

I heard from a trusted inside source that when Lax moves, they will leave their old jock straps behind and get new ones. the mens basketball team will then get the old lacross jock straps, but they are better than the ones they have now, so it's a win-win.
zombiejimchivers
Freshman
Posts 9
05-05-08 08:20 AM - Post#48626    

Nice to see Potomac Curling get a mention on the site. One of the guys at the club competes regularly at the national level and members of our club were hired as consultants during the last winter olympics. Maryland is suprisingly known in US curling. Outside of the states where it's really popular (MN, WI, NY, ND) Maryland can hold its own on the national level.
If anyone is actually interested, I am a dues paying member, play weekly and my team actually won our league this season. Season starts up again in October.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
05-05-08 09:30 AM - Post#48628    

I will confess to very much enjoying watching curling during the Olympics (and not just because those sisters were cute, though that didn't hurt). Where do you play (is play the right word)? I'd go watch a match (?) if I was in town just to see it.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-05-08 11:32 AM - Post#48632    

Perhaps I spoke too quickly on what constitutes "a more obscure" sport.

what is a better gauge of sports popularity than looking at the video games it has inspired?

http://www.amazon.com/Take-Out-Weight-Curli ng-2/dp...

This curling game game was made 2 years after:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_Lacrosse

...the last lax video game ever made (May 2001).
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
05-05-08 11:43 AM - Post#48633    

Sorry. I am moving on from witty lacrosse bashing banter in favor of thinking back to the merits of curling.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/_phot os/20...

http://individual.utoronto.ca/allen/rock.jpg

Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-05-08 05:05 PM - Post#48636    

you're right. i'll leave the Loyola LAX bashing to the likes of Hobart and Siena.

Serious question(s) tho: The 16 seed? Really? The MAAC auto bid (Canisuis) gets more respect?
loco09
Masters Student
Posts 526
loco09
05-05-08 05:09 PM - Post#48637    

there is no seeds after the first 8. the unseeded teams are placed due to travel considerations

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
05-06-08 08:58 AM - Post#48647    

• jdp 94 Said:
you're right. i'll leave the Loyola LAX bashing to the likes of Hobart and Siena.

Man... talking trash against your own school. Man.

Why don't just you just ignore their cash calls like a normal alum?
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-06-08 10:29 AM - Post#48651    

• loco09 Said:
there is no seeds after the first 8. the unseeded teams are placed due to travel considerations

that seems like a pretty lousy structure for a 16 team tournament.

what good is finishing 1st if geography dictates your first round opponent?
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-06-08 10:31 AM - Post#48653    

• Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:

Man... talking trash against your own school. Man.

Why don't just you just ignore their cash calls like a normal alum?

my donations are specifically earmarked for the men's basketball team. someone has to pay to remove the smell of the lax team from the hand-me-down locker room.

wish us luck.
phillyhound
Junior
Posts 289
05-06-08 10:57 AM - Post#48654    

If Loyola comes within single digits of Duke maybe we can consider it a moral victory and they'll have a congratulatory page on the website?
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
05-06-08 03:13 PM - Post#48659    

• jdp 94 Said:
my donations are specifically earmarked for the men's basketball team.

Alex Beaver and the rest of the women's cross country team asked me to pass on the following message to you...

"Hater."
Jesus loves me.

LoCo2011
Senior
Posts 399
05-07-08 12:57 AM - Post#48664    

• phillyhound Said:
If Loyola comes within single digits of Duke maybe we can consider it a moral victory and they'll have a congratulatory page on the website?

yeah what was it 20-3 last time?
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
05-07-08 08:36 AM - Post#48670    

• Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:
my donations are specifically earmarked for the men's basketball team.

Alex Beaver and the rest of the women's cross country team asked me to pass on the following message to you...

"Hater."

tell Alex that one day, when I have more money than i know what to do with, i will contribute to all the Loyola athletic teams, sans one.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 08:25 AM - Post#49607    

Did anyone else get an email survey about this? Really funny. Kudos for them for at least asking opinions, but I wonder if they are going to publicly release the results along with the decision.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 09:37 AM - Post#49609    

I just finished my survey a couple of minutes ago. Sending me a survey is fairly pointless - I was answering the questions trying to favor "college" over "university" wherever possible.

Do you think the administration has a complex about Providence, Villanova, and Fairfield? No less than, what, five questions referenced those three schools by name?

Perhaps the letter writing and withheld contributions have made Father Linnane take a step back from what I perceived as being a fait accompli...
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 09:46 AM - Post#49610    

Lou, what did you think about the questions about what would make you choose "School A" over "School B?"

I felt very old - Do college students really want couches in the classrooms? I can think of two things Loyola students would use couches for, neither of which are in-depth classroom discussions. What's wrong with a classroom that, I don't know, looks like a classroom?

I also liked the suggestion that "helicopter parents" err, parents, could meet with advisors. I can't even get my head around that one...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 09:49 AM - Post#49612    

• MJF Said:
Lou, what did you think about the questions about what would make you choose "School A" over "School B?"

I felt very old - Do college students really want couches in the classrooms? I can think of two things Loyola students would use couches for, neither of which are in-depth classroom discussions. What's wrong with a classroom that, I don't know, looks like a classroom?

I also liked the suggestion that "helicopter parents" err, parents, could meet with advisors. I can't even get my head around that one...

Yeah that was really something. I can see why they need our $$$ if they are going to Rooms to Go for every classroom. I don't think this is unique to Loyola, but it appears the marketing department is taking over. Schools want to have an image to attract potential customers, um, students and parents, and do what they can to promote that image.

I guess it is old fashion to think that providing a good education speaks for itself.

I wanted to ask if they were planning a special fundraising drive to pay for the new University letterhead.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
06-16-08 09:49 AM - Post#49613    

[boo hoo] if you change the name of the school [sigh] from college to university. [sob] i won't send my pledge to the Evergreen Fund. [whimper]

you'd think people would understand what a name change can do for you. Look at Jim McManus!

Let's take off our bibs and burbing towels and follow the example of our most famous alumni.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 09:52 AM - Post#49614    

So "college" sounds too ethnic?

Seems if we were following McManus's example, it would be the Loyola part we were changing.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 09:56 AM - Post#49615    

Somehow, I am reminded of the Simpsons episode where Homer changed his name to "Max Power."
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 10:00 AM - Post#49616    

Are you suggesting Loyola change its name to "Handsome B. Wonderful" or "Hercules Rockefeller" ?
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 10:02 AM - Post#49617    

Chesty LaRue may be appropriate in certain circumstances.
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
06-16-08 10:14 AM - Post#49618    

whatever it takes.

Mr Plow would also be an upgrade.

I also didn't realize Jim McKay was really Puerto Rican. Very interesting.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 10:18 AM - Post#49619    

It will be a problem, though, if Fairfield changes their name to "Plow King."

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 10:27 AM - Post#49620    

One thing I have to say is this thread, if nothing else, has been very enpowering. It has sort of introduced me to the idea of representation without taxation. I have thought for a while that since I don't give to Loyola, I don't really have a right to protest any decision they make. But this whole talk about how employers see the school has been a real eye-opener. As a former customer, or alum, I have a vested interest, and therefore right to complain, even if I don't give them a dime.

As someone who enjoys complaining, this is wonderful news. I am semiretired now. But should I rejoin the workforce, I want to proudly put on my resume "I went to the place where they have couches in the classrooms!!!"
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 10:44 AM - Post#49621    

How about this? Keep the name and franchise the classrooms out to Starbucks.

Put in a two frappachino minimum per student per class and watch the dollars roll in.
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 10:47 AM - Post#49622    

I also liked the questions in the survey about whether campus was "beautiful" and/or "clean" enough.

It's filled with 18-21 year-olds away from mom and dad for the first time, how clean can it be?!
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
06-16-08 11:02 AM - Post#49623    

• Lou Said:
One thing I have to say is this thread, if nothing else, has been very enpowering. It has sort of introduced me to the idea of representation without taxation.

This kind of talk is definitely not going to help Loyola's academic reputation with the likes of Bucknell and Holy Cross...

Potentially more damaging than the Erica T. Bucknell incident.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 11:05 AM - Post#49624    

• jdp 94 Said:
  • Lou Said:
One thing I have to say is this thread, if nothing else, has been very empowering. It has sort of introduced me to the idea of representation without taxation.

This kind of talk is definitely not going to help Loyola's academic reputation with the likes of Bucknell and Holy Cross...

Potentially more damaging than the Erica T. Bucknell incident.

Alas, this is Loyola's fundamental problem.

It can change the name to Loyola U.
It can have a pretty campus.
It can have couches in every classroom.

But it still has the likes of me as an alum.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 11:21 AM - Post#49625    

• Quote:
But it still has the likes of me as an alum.

That's the beauty of the name change - they get the likes of us off the books, because we went to Loyola College, you see.

Loyola University has no alumni and won't have any until four years after the name change.

Any evidence of your having attended college will be erased, unless you're willing to pay the low, low fee of $50,000 to upgrade your obsolete degree from "Loyola College" to the new "Loyola University" model.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 11:43 AM - Post#49626    

You know, put that way it is beginning to make sense.

$50k would seem like a bargain. The average student currently leaves Loyola more than $40k in debt, and they had to sit through (at least) four years of lectures... WITHOUT COUCHES. The extra $10,000 in loans would seem well worthwhile if I could remain glued to the chaise longue that I took from my parents' basement last year when I moved out.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
06-16-08 11:53 AM - Post#49627    

Unrelated, but a strange story involving our former coach...

Link
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 11:56 AM - Post#49628    

The joke is on those who think their degree is going to get retroactive "university" status.

When has Loyola ever given away something for nothing, let alone something as sought-after as a degree from a University with couches in the classrooms?
MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
06-16-08 12:03 PM - Post#49629    

• Quote:
Unrelated, but a strange story involving our former coach...

In the words of Jim Rome, that is both "clau-sic" and "epic." Poor Hicks...
Scott
Sophomore
Posts 144
06-17-08 12:46 PM - Post#49648    

In a somewhat related story, College Park Maryland, home of the University of Maryland, is considering changing its name to University Park Maryland as the new name sounds more prestigious.
fhill35
Pre-Frosh
Posts 2
09-14-08 01:02 AM - Post#51570    

As much as I would love to see Loyola have tougher in-conference games in all their sports by joining the PL (patriot league) I do not think Loyola and the PL are ready for each other quite yet--it may just be a little to early for both the PL and Loyola. Here are my reasons(Loyola based) why its a couple years too soon...

Basketball-
Loyola basketball has obviously seen a drastic turn around with the past few seasons under Patsos. The optimistic outlook for the next few seasons, topped with the current roster, Loyola seems as if it would be a GREAT fit for PL basketball since is seems loyola could be competitive in that conference. The PLgenerally sends 1 team a yr to the NCAA tournament(same as MAAC), where Loyola would have more trouble winning the automatic birth with teams like American/HC/Bucknell presenting themselves as teams that could give Loyola a harder time earning the automatic birth than would the teams of the MAAC that seem to "rebuild" rather than "reload" after winning a MAAC Championship. With that being said, I personally think Loyola would opt to stay in a conference where the competition may be a little weaker than the PL, but with tough out of conference games being scheduled( the SOS can be equivalent to that of the PL )without sacrificing an automatic birth( Theories are easier to make then to fulfill).
Loyola is just really hurting for publicity as well another tournament birth--which is why I think those are their priorities for m's basketball. Loyola will have more future success after it makes it the tournament no matter what conference it plays in.
Also, I feel that Loyola(at least its students) are hoping to have a basketball team more on the level of its Jesuit/Catholic brethren: St Joes, Villanova, BC, georgetown, and the St johns/Seton halls of yesterday.--but I do think the PL, on some levels will be able to provide this in the future. (Probably what the PL is trying to do anyway)

Lacrosse-
with Georgetown et. all leaving the ECAC leaves some question marks for future schedules. I think the immediate fix of adding Denver/Ohio State as well as Hobart to remain D1 wont hurt Loyola that much. Loyola will drop their fluff out of conference game to schedule a stronger team--again to maintain their SOS.
Loyola lacrosse, up until joining the ECAC(The Cottle years) was an independent team along with JHU and Syracuse. Loyola had intentionally not joined a conference for two reasons:
-1stit was a program that could yr in yr out get at large bids and therefore didnt not need the automatic birth that comes with being in a conference
-2nd lacrosse being a sport watched far less than many other sports(although growing) has many varying levels of "commitment" from schools and therefore varying levels play across D1. I believe, however I could be wrong, the NCAA regulations allow 17? full scholarships/team. Each conference varies (independents being able to provide NCAA max) the patriot league I believe was around 13(Navy/Army are free therefore money is not option anyway) where as MAAC teams only give 8? and conferences like the ACC and the ECAC giving 17. This generally explains why the MAAC teams are the worst D1 lax programs usually followed by PL (hc/laf/lehigh) and some randoms.

the plus side about PL lacrosse, is that many of the schools are now starting to take lacrosse more seriuos-Lehigh now having a "full" coaching staff to the standards of top D1 programs--also I don't even think they are giving out all the full scholarships that the PL allows. Colgate (coached by a Loyola Alum) turning their program around as well. I think I have even heard rumor that the PL will up the Scholarships to meet that of the NCAA max as well as other conferences like the ACC and the new Big east/ECAC conferences. So, with Loyola greatest asset to the PL being its lacrosse programs, I don't think loyola would opt to make that jump--quite yet especially if it would cause Loyola to be restricted with scholarships.

Soccer (mens & womens)

Loyola soccer has done well in the MAAC claiming many of its automatic births to the NCAA. I don't see any strong points that would deter Loyola or the PL from wanting each other. PL, a slightly more competitive conference with soccer, where the teams are usually all generally competitive with each other whereas the MAAC tends to have 1-3 teams/yr that struggle while 1-2 do very well with the middle of the pack being competitive. If Loyola were join the PL, I could see the overall level of competition increase as well as Loyola's ability to recruit higher status players increase. which leads us to the IAC

Stadium

The new stadium is obviously part of the "strategic" planning to have it's facilities be more comparable to those of its national competitors. I think Loyola's main focus is to improve it's academic reputation by attracting more/stronger applicants--as well as lowering its admissions rate(which would put Loyola more on par HC in the PL. Increasing more qualified applicants to apply loyola, we can probably all agree, can be more easily done with a successful athletics program to help get the schools name out there(I heard seton hall's applications tripled after it made to the sweet 16). So Loyola interest is, as mentioned in previous posts, to free up land, better reflect the "university", improve recruiting, etc. etc.

Football/seating capacity/fan base--

A football team has been a hot topic around loyola as well as a dream for many of its students, I just dont think Loyola will seriously pursue it for a couple or reasons
-Fan base was mentioned, but really how many D1AA teams(not including the delawares/JMUs) that actually have a fan base substantial enough to be considered a financial asset. Not to knock the PL teams, but how many lehigh/Laf fans are out there that are not affiliated with the school?
-Seating capacity...Loyola a school of 3600 ugrad whose enrollment is increasing(which in the future would put them at the top side--but not out of other PL members ugrad enrollment) 6000 seats are a lot for men's lacrosse, probably 4X larger than what men's soccer needs, but I think it would fall...what-- maybe 8,000? seats short of what D1AA would need (I know multi-sport field is a smaller stadium) unless Loyola has planned a possible expansion to the stadium( which would be possible if it followed georgetown's "success" of building up its program from scratch in about 10 years).
-title IX...unless loyola increased the IAC, it would not be able to hold a 12,000 seat stadium, as well as practice fields for more athletic teams (football--as well as a field hockey/softball team to meet title IX--all requiring more fields than what loyola would be able to offer through the IAC.
-I think the alumni would like to see a football team nearly as much as its current/future students--however, the endowment is somewhat low, especially with all the renovations and additions to campus that are currently being done, I am not sure if Loyola will be able to finance many more major projects that it may not necessarily need

I think the IAC, although off campus, is goign to be a great asset for loyola. Loyola will now be able to have graduation "on campus" instead of in some dark/damp indoor soccer arena. Lehigh, has its athletic facilities not far from the main campus--which should also be pointed out that they have no problem getting students to the games (although it is in Bethlehem). I think Loyola's IAC is not really looking to bring money in from renting it to high schools teams as much as the IAC being able to provide Loyola with the space/image similar to that of more reputable schools to what Loyola strives to become.

I, like many others would love to see Loyola join the PL to become a member of a stronger athletic conference as well as compete against schools that are more on its academic level or above in its geographic location (as well as nationally). I think the PL and Loyola could make a good fit right now, but each have their goals that could be more easily attained if things stayed as they were. Its probably something that will be debated about behind the scenes for a little with no official word until the Loyola/PL match is too good to pass up. And at that, word will most likely come just as fast as the news of the Big East starting its men's lacrosse conference, leaving all PL/Loyola supporters in the dark until it has been confirmed.

who knows, maybe with the College of Notre Dame's financial troubles, Loyola will be able to purchase it and its land increasing enrollment as well as providing more development possibilities. I mean it is a university so that means the possibilities are endless right?

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
09-15-08 01:41 PM - Post#51589    

Very very good post. I think your conclusions make a lot of sense.

It seems it is a matter of when and not if in terms of Loyola merging with ND, but it could be a very long time as the school to date has had little interest in forcing the issue and upsetting ND's alums.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
09-29-08 09:17 PM - Post#51882    

Anyone get a very long tail between the legs letter from Linnane explaining the move ("But... our consultants said it would be peachy!") in the mail today? Made me wonder if perhaps MJF if correct and they are getting significant negative feedback from alums.

Strangest thing about the letter is it was dated August 29. I know the mail is slow here in Atlanta, but wow.
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
10-02-08 03:05 PM - Post#51964    

The mail must be slow in the Great Southeast. I got that letter about a week ago and I must confess, I didn't read it very carefully because I assumed it was a hard copy of the email that came out when the final decision was made. It looked the same to me.

I'm sure they are getting significant alumni push back on this. The Evergreen fund called my place about two weeks ago, and the caller sounded fairly resigned when I told him that I had signed the no donation pledge and that I was going to stick to it for awhile. The response was something along the lines of "I've been told that alot tonight" or "you aren't the only one."

Lou, I assume your television will be glued to ESPN2 tonight and not MSNBC or Fox? GC makes the big-time...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
10-02-08 05:07 PM - Post#51968    

No clue what is on the news channels, but I will be watching my Falcons!
Jesus loves me.

MJF
Sophomore
Posts 109
10-31-08 09:30 AM - Post#52800    

Did any of you all get an "all is well" email from Linnane regarding the financial state of the college in light of the downturn?

If they are sending around "all is well" emails, then it is a pretty safe bet that all is not well up there...
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
11-04-08 01:05 PM - Post#52925    

I wouldn't read too much into the letter. if anything, it was a few weeks too late. every org - large and small -- has sent a similar note to stakeholder audiences in the aftermath of the market implosion.

the most surprising thing to me was how small the endowment fund was and is. $165 million is now $130 million. That's not quite university status...
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
11-05-08 01:49 PM - Post#52970    

• jdp 94 Said:
the most surprising thing to me was how small the endowment fund was and is. $165 million is now $130 million. That's not quite university status...

Then again, it probably ranks in the top 3% for cash balances among all tax-exempt nonprofits.

Agreed on the letter. If anything sounds like they are holding up better than a lot of retirement funds.
Jesus loves me.

Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
11-05-08 03:20 PM - Post#52972    

Happy to say that things never change. College or U, Loyola still prepares you for a long career in at least one occupation...

• Quote:
Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Bryan Gunderson tried to master the intricacies of structured-equity investments until he lost his job at JPMorgan Chase & Co. Now he's learning the subtleties of Purple Hooters.

After collecting his last severance check in August and getting no offers from more than 100 resumes he sent to friends, companies and employment agencies, the 25-year-old graduate of Loyola College in Baltimore decided to go to B-school -- for bartending.

``It's come to the point where, yes, I need another job,'' said Gunderson, who has a bachelor's degree in finance and is looking for bartending work. ``I always frequent bars, so why not be on the other side?''

Source
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
11-07-08 11:02 AM - Post#53018    

• Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:

Then again, it probably ranks in the top 3% for cash balances among all tax-exempt nonprofits.

That's kind of a crazy point. Our endowment is not counting on bake sales and car washes for revenue. I would hope we are in the top 1% of all tax-exempt non profits in the U.S. Unfortunately, we're only competing with Universities, not the local Key Club.

For percpective, yesterday someone gave $300 million to the University of Chicago's Business School. Most universities count their endowments with a $B not an $M. Loyola's is paltry in comparison.
Lou
Masters Student
Posts 406
Lou
11-07-08 03:20 PM - Post#53028    

• jdp 94 Said:
  • Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:

That's kind of a crazy point. Our endowment is not counting on bake sales and car washes for revenue. I would hope we are in the top 1% of all tax-exempt non profits in the U.S. Unfortunately, we're only competing with Universities, not the local Key Club.

For percpective, yesterday someone gave $300 million to the University of Chicago's Business School. Most universities count their endowments with a $B not an $M. Loyola's is paltry in comparison.

It might be a crazy point from Loyola's perspective, but it is not from my perspective. Loyola is seeking my tax-deductible donation. Compared to U. of Chicago, Loyola can make the point they need it more. But compared to the local St. Vincent dePaul Society, tougher to make that point. Loyola has a nine-figure savings account, is growing expenses at 2x inflation, and sending 21 year olds out into the world with thousands in debt. And they want my money.

I think it takes a pretty huge pair to sit there with $115mm in the bank and pay students to beg you for money. But I am a nasty old curmudgeon, I will admit.
Jesus loves me.

RW
Pre-Frosh
Posts 1
01-17-09 05:05 PM - Post#56743    

I still have one of these Ricky Wohl masks ...
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
01-26-12 12:01 PM - Post#118223    

• Quote:
The school changed its name from Loyola College to Loyola University in 2009, a switch Patsos credits for drawing greater interest in his program.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/25/lo...
jdp 94
Masters Student
Posts 870
jdp 94
01-26-12 05:00 PM - Post#118258    

• RW Said:
I still have one of these Ricky Wohl masks ...

By the way, this is the greatest post in the history of this message board. I can't believe I missed it the first time 2 years ago.... RW's one and only contribution. Classic.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.12 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:36 AM