Username Post: Coach Sydney Johnson
1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
03-15-11 07:12 AM - Post#101120    
    In response to Brian Martin

I have found this thread very interesting, even though it is clearly completely conjectural, and will play out over years, not over one season, unlike the debates about teams and players.

To me the question is not whether Coach J will ever leave, because I think he would, for the right offer. The question of how long the list of acceptable schools might be is of course the most important one. I suspect his list is 25 schools or fewer.

My initial concern was whether he would leave for the FIRST high paying job, which is what happened with Carmody and Thompson. After the long Carrill tenure, each of the departures was a severe shock to my system. The allure of Georgetown for JTIII is obvious. The allure of Northwestern to Carmody is less clear, and it is interesting that there is now talk of replacing him. Next year could be his last year if he does not make the NCAA. And then where does he go?

I have come to believe that Coach J has a greater degree of institutional loyalty than either JTIII or Carmody, so I see him staying significantly longer than they did.

On the other hand, if he coached Princeton to the Ivy title again next year, over a clearly favored Harvard team, how hot a commodity would he then be? And could a job pop up from his short list?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.302 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:54 PM