Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
04-04-11 07:28 PM - Post#103166    
    In response to umbrellaman

• umbrellaman Said:
Obviously, Princeton has the money. I just don't think it's realistic that Princeton, or any Ivy League school is going to be willing to match what a BCS or a committed mid-major is going to be willing to pay. The way the Ivy League looks at athletics is different. Princeton will always be Princeton regardless of what happens in basketball for 99.9% of the world. A school like Fairfield is going to get much more return on investment by spending on a coach and trying to make a name in basketball.
I'm not saying I like it, but if you root for Ivy League basketball, it's they way it is going to be.

I totally get that and I understand the thought process from the Ivy Administrations. I guess I'm saying they're short sighted if they don't see the value of having a great basketball program and a great representative for their school like Johnson was.

Fairfield reportedly was offering $500K per for Johnson. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but if Princeton wasn't willing to get close to that or at least offer more years and a nice raise, I think that was a mistake. Considering how Johnson acted every time someone with a mic said "Princeton" you have to think that he did not want to leave...

Obviously he was there a long time, but I recall people explaining that Dunphy was over $500K when he left Penn for Temple and a significant raise. Fair enough. I can understand if the Big 10, PAC 10, Big East or A10 come calling with the checkbook. I CAN'T understand if the MAAC comes calling...

I guess all I can do is hope that the Penn administration plays it differently if Coach Allen can revive the Penn program like Coach Johnson did at Princeton.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.182 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:48 AM