Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Iona game
LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
01-16-12 12:03 PM - Post#117310    
    In response to Bang Bang

Completely disagree with the points you make... if that's actually how Walker played.... then I'd agree.. but it's not.

Walker does not play in the paint, offensively or defensively (which is why he does not get rebounds that a 6'10" guy should get.. and this irreplaceable-ness that you alluded to is why he is replaceable because he doesn't play like that)

Walker just does not alter shots.. he comes up with a few blocks so everyone thinks he's this great defender, he's not at all. Seriously, watch him next game when teams run screens on him... his inability to know how to switch on screens is absolutely astonishing.. and almost impressive.

Erik Etherly alters shots... Shane does not... Winbush is so lanky that he probably is just as effective under the basketball as Walker is.

Your point about his shot stretching the defense:

It's not effective when he never hits the damn 3 and turns the ball over because he takes the shot. For a period last year and maybe early on this year, he was actually hitting those shots so defenses had to play up on him, but now that he couldn't hit the side of a barn, teams are giving him space and he actually adds nothing to the offense, other than wasting away in no-man's land.

The team plays so so so much better when it's Winbush and Etherly out there (As everyone saw when we pushed the lead from 4 to 18 in the Canisius game, which just happened to be the same time that Walker was subbed out)

I would agree with all the points you make if that was actually how Walker plays.. b/c in theory that's exactly what a 6'10" Center that can shoot the 3 should be doing (altering shots, stretching defenses, etc) but that's not what Walker does and that's why I want him to get 7th or 8th man off the bench minutes.. not starters' minutes.

Patsos has been better this year. I was really impressed with him in the Manhattan game.. just a great response after drawing up such a terrible play in the Niagara game. And I agree that praise needs to be giving as much as blame is, so if Shane Walker ever finally decides to play like he should be able to, I'll be the first one to compliment him, but right now he's hurting the team and that's the bottom line.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.893 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:00 AM