Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Iona at home
WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
02-09-12 03:01 PM - Post#119878    
    In response to maacballer

I guess I probably graduated before most of you were born, but let me tell you, an argument could be made that this program would benefit more from a trip to NIT than a one-and-done in the big dance.

Not saying it would, you always want the NCAA bid, but in the NIT you have a good chance to face name teams on down years and you’d have a legit chance to actually win some games.

That attention would be a huge help with recruiting and also with national perception (which affects future Bracketbusters, TV games, etc, etc).

I realize we all want the buzz that comes with an NCAA bid, and the chance to log an even bigger and more noticeable upset on national TV, but the point is you cannot minimize the worth of an NIT bid as a great second option. With the nature of the MAAC tourney, anything can and will happen, there’s no guarantees. At this point, winning the reg season is more in their grasp than counting on winning three games in Springfield.

I assume everyone out here is on the same page in terms of what we really want, but totally agree with those who say the NIT would be a big deal to this program. It’s far beyond just “okay”.

What’s really crazy to me is we built this great new stadium for lacrosse and soccer yet we could not sell out the Hopkins game the first year with a tourney bid on the line, and here were are now selling out regular games at Reitz. Wow.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.639 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:29 AM