Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Iona at home
Nino 
Freshman

Reg: 09-26-09
02-09-12 11:54 PM - Post#119926    
    In response to loco09

I watch this board all the time and purposely keep a low profile. I try to only add comments that are helpful or thought provoking. Most of you are much better analysts than I could ever hope to be. It sounds like your Loyola education has paid off - outstanding critical thinking and commentary (JDP in particular comes to mind).

This year is exceptionally cool for me (personally) because, after playing for Loyola, then supporting the team for 32 yrs., and being completely immersed in the program for the last 8, I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. I truly don't know how to deal with it. And it feels awesome.

Whatever the outcome this year, let's enjoy what we've accomplished. Take pride that we finally are packing our gym. Cherish a team that is evenly talented, deep and made up of Loyola quality student-athletes. Celebrate a coach that has done more for the program than any of our other D1 coaches (please Prosser fans, remember Skip won 3 games in a row to get in the NCAA - yes he was a great coach, but 1 yr. didn't give him time to change Loyola BBall fundamentally - Jimmy has).

OK - enough gushiness. Back to curmudgeon-ieness. My real comfort zone.

In response to all the "new arena" discussions, I am SO jaded on this for one very basic, simple and downright elementary issue. In Reitz ... where's the trophy case? Or Hall of Fame wall? Or area where we honor our past outstanding players? There's plenty of them over the decades. Just a few who come to mind over the generations: Paul Dodd, Gene Gwyzdowski, Rodney Floyd, Morris Cannon, Bobby Riley, Jack Vogt, Tim Koch, Mark DiGiacomo, Tommy Caraher, Tracy Bergan, Kevin Green, Blanchard Hurd, Mike Tuck, Andre Collins, Gerald Brown, Marquis Sullivan and many more. No where do we display or celebrate their accomplishments. We have a few jerseys hanging from the rafters, and a rug with 1000 pt. scorers listed - but that's it.

For those of you who don't know me, this isn't self serving - my stats would never get me in a trophy case ... but I would love for my friends and teammates who deserve it, to be able to see a memorial about their accomplishments.

Go over to the Ridley Complex and they must have 10 trophy cases for lacrosse and soccer. But for our "most high profile national sport" we have dick.

I tell my kids "actions speak louder than words". If I follow this precept for the way basketball is celebrated at Loyola, than I must conclude its not perceived as important as the other sports. Conspiracy? Where's our grassy knoll?

Until I see this, all the "arena crap" is just that.

Boy, I feel better now that I was cranky. [thanks for the rant]

Cheers,
Nino

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.33 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:38 PM