Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
Nino 
Freshman

Reg: 09-26-09
02-27-12 11:14 PM - Post#122848    
    In response to Greyhound21

• Greyhound21 Said:
I have to laugh that all of you are ready to see JP go... Reading all the Loyola should be competitive in the MAAC if it wants is completely unfounded until this year. We have never won the regular season (best finish is 2nd... This year) and won the MAAC Tourney by accident in '94. There is zero history of winning and when we have the best season in DI history we suddenly are of the mindset that we can win if we want? Pretty sure when I was around the coaches, players, and administration wanted to win. We tried anyway...

The rule I always have followed is that you need to have better players to win and when all things are created equal it is going to come down to coaching. If you can coach and recruit odds aren't coaching in the MAAC for very long. That said you can chalk up our losses to JP but we won 21 times because we have better players and more depth than most teams because JP can recruit and if you don't believe me ask Gary Williams.

As far as the administration goes, why would they get rid of a guy that sold out the arena that probably has a negative avg. attendance number over the course of the last 15 years and actually gets press for something else other than almost setting the longest losing streak in DI history. The AD may want to bring in his own guy but not at the expense of setting the program back again and making himself look bad.

JP is a pretty smart guy and he won't go take a CAA job just to get fired in 4 years if he doesn't win and his recruiting base is Baltimore DC and there aren't any A-10 jobs in the area coming open that are worth taking this year.

JP will get an extension and we will all just have to be frustrated by some of his in game decision making, but that beats the altturnative of having some highly touted asst. come in and win with JP's players leave for a better job and leave us back where we started. I'll take JP and his ability to get better players over the unknown or unproven.

Spot on! 100% accurate. Your argument is further supported by the fact we've had 8 D1 coaches in 23 years. That turnover has been devastating to the program, the student/fan/alumni support and team spirit.

Patsos has brought definition back to Loyola Basketball - an excellent product that promises to be exciting, fun and maybe even controversial, year after year. I've seen nearly every game for eight years, and I've been driven as crazy as anybody by "coaching situations". But I've also been in touch with more fans and more alums than anybody - and I'm telling you Jimmy's positives WAY outweigh his negatives when you look at the overall health and direction of the program.

Considering the product he's built, how much the students like him, the national press Loyola gets, and the talent he brings in, Patsos has been the best thing to ever happen to Loyola basketball. Period. End of story.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.344 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:19 AM