Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: So, 1994. What was it like?
Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
03-08-12 01:49 PM - Post#125003    
    In response to loco09

I can't speak to what it was like on campus as I had graduated seven years earlier but I attended all three games in person with my wife in Albany.

What I remember about the q-final vs St Peter's was that Reese carried us. He was draining that flat jumper of his. His dunk on an outlet pass from Matt Gabriel sealed the deal and my wife and I were delerious. We had actually won a MAAC tourney game. I also remember Mike Frensley of St Peter's missing a wide open 15 footer from the right baseline at the buzzer at the end of regulation. Had he made that, 1994 would have been no different than any other season.

The semi-final vs Canisius was the best game Loyola ever played! Canisius had a 16 or 17 game winning streak and we blew them out. We had blown a big halftime lead to them at home in the reg season and the team learned from that. This big halftime lead did not melt away. My other memory from that day is that a friend of mine who lives in Albany went to the game with us and he kept commenting about this hot Canisius cheerleader. Well damn if she wasn't a table away from us at Denny's, where we went to eat after the game.

My wife and I were just happy that Loyola made the finals. We were getting blown out by Manhattan but it didn't matter because it had been a very good year. Then Tracey Bergan's four point play near halftime got us within striking distance. We noticed many open seats behind the Loyola bench from our upper deck seats so we moved down at halftime.

Most of the fans at the game were Siena fans and rooting for the Jaspers as they were afraid that a Loyola win would keep the Saints from getting an NIT bid. (they did get a bid and went to the NIT Final Four). We took the lead fairly early in the 2nd half and then it was back and forth. That 45 minutes that the 2nd half took felt like hours. With approx 5 seconds left and up by a point, Milt Williams rebounded Jamal Marshall's miss after the ball had to have touched the hands of five other players and he was fouled.

I happened to be sitting across the aisle from Joe Boylan who commented to no one in particular "if he makes both, we'll win". Damn if he wasn't right! Milt made two we stole the inbounds pass and scored and I was jumping and screaming like and genius. I'm not sure if I've ever been that excited over the outcome of a sporting event.

Sorry if I bored anyone with this long winded post but it is a weekend I'll never forget. I would encourage everyone who considers themselves a big fan of the program to make the trip to the NCAA's if the Hounds play anywhere within a 10 hour drive of your home. Who knows if this will ever happen again.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.255 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:25 PM