Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Martin? Seriously?
pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
06-02-12 04:59 PM - Post#129659    
    In response to Full Bear

• Full Bear Said:
1) Andy Toole was hired from within after a very successful tenure under Rice at Robert Morris. They went to the NCAA tournament. Has Martin been part of that?

Seriously? Having been to the tournament or not is what qualifies /an assistant/ to be a good coach? Okay then.

• Quote:
2) Stewart, Walsh, Maker, Young and Anderson have all been HEAD coaches. That was my point. Some had additional high major asst. experience.

Seriously? Casper College? Williams? Maybe Martin coached a CYO summer team. That's about on par with those.

• Quote:
3) Martin was part of a resurgence under Allen, so he must have also been part of the collapse with his mentor Miller.

Jeff, you of all people ought to know that the kind of damage Miller wrought was special and singular and anything that had the taint of him after he was gone would have continued to infect the program. Therefore, I'm willing to give Martin a pass on that one.

• Quote:
4) The biggest question was left unanswered...has Mike Martin ever been a head coach at any level? Are we prepared for otj training.

Okay, off the top of my head and I don't want to waste a lot of time with this because it could go on forever, Tom Crean, Ben Howland, Bill Carmody (he may have been an HC one season at the JUCO level; I'm not sure), Craig Robinson (U of C Lab School just doesn't count) - none of them had head coaching experience. I'm not sure why you think only being a high major assistant matters so much, unless you've got some kind of BCS hangup (it would jibe with the one you've got for the Tournament, I suppose). This is very middle major stuff. A guy coming from a Big East/Pac 12 environment with no Ivy experience could well find the transition to Ivy recruitment to be very tough.

• Quote:
5) I am sure he is a great guy. How does that qualify him to be our head coach when we interviewed more qualified candidates.

Seeing as I was present for the interview process I can tell you with all certitude that... well. Nah, I'm going to keep the reasons to myself. They're too cool to share.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.222 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:36 PM