Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: St. Peter's and Wisconsin
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
11-25-12 11:39 PM - Post#135876    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks for the response. I probably thought Ivybball was Ivybballfan. I did mix concepts (offensive efficiency and overall success). Thank you for the clarification and sorry about that.

Right before I signed on to check your response, I think I found the KenPom feature that shows the correlation between pace and efficiency. As I read it, there was a +11 correlation between pace and offense and a -62 correlation between pace and defense. Doesn't that mean Cornell improved on both sides of the game the faster the pace, though the offensive improvement was not statistically significant? If I'm reading that wrong, please let me know.

The evidence so far this year does support your position, but after only seven games can be easily swayed by an outlier. And the Presby game was certainly an extreme data point, if not an outlier. 142 offensive efficiency? The 2010 team pulled that off twice and they were a little better team offensively. The Red's second best offensive game was Longwood (109.7 OE on 77 possessions). I'm not sure what either number says other than Cornell can't score except against lousy teams. Which is what I worry is the case.

At the end of the season, I bet the numbers look about the same as last year. This team will struggle to score no matter the pace, but will be better defensively when they push the tempo. That said and regardless of the numbers, this team is going to run because that is what Coach Courtney wants to do.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.683 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:45 PM