Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Rankings this week?
Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-07-06 12:10 PM - Post#14670    
    In response to id_203

As the resident UNI fan frequenting your board until our Bracket Buster game I suppose I'll jump in here and defend UNI's ranking. No disrespect of the Bison intended here. I think we all know the polls are biased in favor of the "BCS conferences". If you examine what teams immediately above and below did in the last week as well as the teams UNI has defeated it wouldn't be too unexpected.

All comments are based on Ken Pomeroy's RPI computations found here: http://kenpom.com/rpi.php

UNI's RPI is 15 with victories over teams with RPI's of 7 (defeated top team in Big Ten), 16, 21, and 23. The loss UNI suffered last week was to Creighton (RPI of 16) on Creighton's home court (Creighton was favored by the Las Vegas odds makers) where seemingly no one beats them (crowd of 14,900 for the game, fifth largest in their history, undefeated this season there). UNI's at the top of the fifth best conference in the country (again using RPI as a measure of relative conference strength), has 20 victories for the season, etc. It makes sense to have at least one MVC team in the top 25 rather than two or more from conferences rated sixth or seventh (Big 12 or Pac 10). They might as well rank the team from the MVC with the most total victories and highest in RPI. Personally what I am a bit surprised about is that Creighton or Wichita State didn't move up and UNI out.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.597 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:10 AM