Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Individual efficiency stats 2007-2014
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
05-25-14 01:32 PM - Post#170572    

I offer for discussion the individual efficiency statistics for the years 2007-2014.

Instead of using the ORat, I offer the more transparent box score metrics by Hollinger, the Game Score (GS), and by Berri, the Win Score (WS) as adjusted in 2011 to reduce the weight of defensive rebounds. Key among the differences between the two metrics – GS rewards “shot creation” while WS penalizes inefficient shooting and tends to slightly favor big men because of the value WS places on rebounding.

These numbers are for regular season, conference games only. The numbers are adjusted to account for differences in tempo among the teams. For example, in 2014, Columbia averaged 61.5 possessions per 40 minutes while Penn averaged 67.4 possessions per 40 minutes. The league average was 64.2 possessions. So Penn numbers (WS and GS) are reduced by a factor of 64.2/67.4 and Columbia numbers are increased by a factor of 64.2/61.5. Those adjusted numbers are shown as Adj WS and Adj GS. Those columns should be used to compare players on different teams. While this makes comparison of players within a season more accurate, it makes comparisons between seasons slightly harder since the league average of possessions varies from year to year.

In addition to looking at the raw totals for WS and for GS, you may also wish to look at the per 40 minute numbers, WS/40 and GS/40. Perhaps these numbers identify underutilized players, or just those players who are unable to stay on the court for longer periods of time.

Among the other categories listed in the spreadsheet are true shooting percentage (TS%) and pure point rating, a superior version of the assist/turnover ratio.

Individual box score metrics, whether the ORat the Win Score or the Game Score are debatable for many reasons. These are not the team efficiency numbers I kept for Penn prior to my retirement so I have no personal stake in them. They are offered to advance the discussion.

Reminder: Box score metrics measure only those numbers which appear in a box score. There is no positive (or negative) score for (1) boxing out so that a teammate pulls down a rebound (or failing to do so), (2) going to the right spot on the floor and setting a good screen (or failing to do so), or (3) spotting and executing a good entry pass to initiate the offense (or failing to do so). Even more importantly there is no box score number for playing good on-the-ball defense (or for failing to do so).

You can select the year by clicking on the appropriate box at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Within any particular year you can rank the players by category by utilizing the drop-down menu to the right of the category heading.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.198 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:25 AM