Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Quick Take from Ivy Hoops Online
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
01-09-17 03:02 PM - Post#217831    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I think Amaker has just adjusted to the new format quicker. OOC games are still crucial but do provide a lab to experiment with lineups and minutes. I'm sure at no point was Harvard not concerned about having a winning record. That Zena's mins are less suggest there's more of a meritocracy.

The numbers are the numbers. Talent is talent. That's the way it is at high majors, if you can't play you don't. That is why there is such a high number of transfers.

In Dartmouth's case, as the coach has said, he's not an expert on his team. But I will agree with you the rotations early in the non conference games just didn't vary enough to get a broader picture. In his defense he did play his freshman during the UNH game to much success, but then he pulled way back from that with Harvard game. Perplexing.

Harvard is playing a different game. They are trying to play and recruit on a different level. They are aggressively trying to steal High Major recruits from the big boys. Princeton is doing the same by hiring Kittles. Yale's success will help them, they are another team that has allowed talented freshman to lead them with Bruner and Oni. Columbia's attempting to get there with their noticeably increased media presence and Tape has become seen more PT as the season has progressed.

I think the #2bidivy was lost pretty soon after Princeton and Yale lost key pieces. I don't believe had Harvard played a more seasoned lineup that they would have secured the second bid for the league. If they did they'd be in the same place as Dartmouth.

There is no substitute for experience and Amaker has made sure his young guys are getting it where it counts, on the floor in games. Kudos. I don't foresee Amaker changing his rotation to much, especially if he can get everyone minutes, everyone produces like they did in the Dartmouth Harvard tilt, and they can continue to win. Why change what's working. Conversely if it ain't working why keep doing it.

In this #PathToThePalestra era I will give you it is slightly more important to play for those top four spots, but not at all costs. I don't think that you have to sacrifice the OOC to do it. As an aside, where last year was the season of the Senior in the NCAAM this year is clearly the year of the Freshman. This is going to be one of the best freshman classes across the NCAA in recent years, Ivy league included.
"...no excuses - only results!”

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.009 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:54 PM