Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell Game #1
hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-30-17 06:09 PM - Post#219931    
    In response to SRP

As someone put it, Cormier is not one to lead Kumbaya.

A driven perfectionist and grinder. Tight grip and old school. At times it didn't look fun for him or anyone. A grind, especially because it was such a steep mountain they were climbing. But he can coach, and while not a player favorite for most (probably because he was painfully honest and had specific roles for most of his guys that most of them found too limiting), he is highly regarded by coaching peers for his coaching. "The sum is greater than the parts" he said, and most of these "parts" (and their parents) didn't like this and wondered why they were being developed to fit into a specific role for a cohesive team/plan instead of into the next Kobe Bryant. He will be on a bench next year ala Glenn Miller after he finishes collecting from Dartmouth what I expect is a nice salary for this year's sabbatical.

I heard another former coach at Dartmouth say that he was a thorn in Sheehy's side by advocating mercilessly aka complaining and not drinking the Sheehy koolaid. Paul just couldn't stomach the politics and felt Sheehy was pure politics and a poser. Too bad he couldn't get over it. As a result their egos clashed, and this collision was probably exacerbated by the fact that Sheehy was a hoops coach and probably thought he knew as much as Cormier who spent 18 years as a D1 coach and 12 years in the NBA compared to Sheehy doing 20 years Williams or whatever.

Ultimately a bad, risky, unnecessary call by Sheehy IMO, but both egos are at fault.

Outside the basketball arena, I have seen both Sheehy and Paul captivate an audience and demonstrate humor and ability to connect and build relationships. Both are good people from what I've seen and down to earth conversationalists. But Neither seem like joys to be around when they are anywhere near the frontlines of competition.

Edited by hoopla on 01-30-17 06:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.17 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:30 AM