Username Post: Wielgus Lounge Opening
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-09-17 07:45 AM - Post#221092    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
  • Go Green Said:

One notable omission from the list of donors: Courtney Banghart.

Just saw this and wanted to respond. I must be feeling feverish, because I'm going out of my way to defend Courtney, but. . . I can certainly understand why a coach would be reluctant to make a donation which directly benefits the program of a competing member of the same league, even if that member is also her alma mater. I can also understand why the Princeton athletic administration might look askance at such a donation. It would be one thing if Banghart had gone to Gonzaga or some other school that Princeton rarely plays, but Dartmouth is a little too close to home, I think.

Theoretically possible. But IMHO, highly unlikely. Banghart has proved her mettle at Princeton, to say the least. My understanding is that she was offered more money to leave for bigger programs, but (unlike several Princeton men's coaches) opted to stay at Princeton.

She's earned the right to tell the Princeton administration, "Hey I want to do something nice for my old coach and mentor." And Princeton would look like a-holes if they held firm and forbade Banghart from doing so.

And if you look at her twitter feed, she's not shy about throwing hosannas to others. Yet not a peep regarding Wielgus over the weekend of the lounge dedication.

My own guess is that Wielgus and Banghart had a falling out. Who bears responsibility is anyone's guess. Maybe Wielgus said some regrettable things when Banghart left for Princeton. Maybe Banghart used confidential information against Wielgus on the recruiting trail.

Whatever the issue, I do hope that they bury the hatchet at some point. They are both very, very important people in Ivy basketball history.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.204 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:55 AM