Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-14-17 10:16 PM - Post#221842    
    In response to mrjames

"If Princeton ends up clearly in the Top 68 and loses at The Palestra, I will think the Tigers got a raw deal. But if they remain hanging around the 80s/90s in quality and resume metrics, I don't feel bad."

I have found the recent conversation on the Penn Board interesting regarding the location of the IL Tournament and the discussion of a possible second bid in the context of your comments. The reality is that Princeton cannot get into the top 68 even if they run the table in the Ivy League and finish 14-0. Why -- Princeton's performance in non-league play, the performance of IL teams in non-conference play and the degree of difficulty as to non-league games. If Princeton beat all six remaining IL teams by 20+ points (laugh/laugh) and walk on water, they would not get in the top 68 and even if they did, they would not get a bid. If Princeton finished 10-4 in non-league play with two good wins rather 7-6, they may have gotten a bid with a 14-0 or 13-1 record IL record -- challenging task to say the least. Yale or Harvard would not have gotten a bid as well based on their non-conference record and the other factors cited above if they finished 14-0.

Bottom line is that it was at the very least premature to introduce the IL tournament until non-conference scheduling and overall performance improves so that a second bid is realistic. No one on the Princeton forum has ever suggested that the Tigers deserve a bid this year as they were accountable for their non-league performance. The margin is extremely tight currently for the IL to receive two bids. As a matter of fact, some Tiger fans have argued that other teams, i.e. Yale or Harvard may feel the same effect next year. Ironically it does not seem to concern you that a #218 rpi team may represent the IL. A better argument at this time might be that it will be exciting at the Palestra.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.157 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:15 PM