Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
02-18-17 07:01 AM - Post#222255    
    In response to Penndemonium

Ah, to wake up to see myself getting slammed for my comments after that ugly Brown game here at the Palestra. While I will readily acknowledge that I was down after a terrible loss and also state for the record that I would be happy to be wrong (something I said then) about Penn, here is the comment that most of you are harping on:

"I don't understand how you guys don't see this. Both Yale and Brown were light years quicker than we were and stronger too. They beat us not with long outside shots but by driving by us and if they missed, they followed and scored. Yale outrebounded us 42-31 and their guards outrebounded our guards 21-16 (and that includes Howard, who really played forward for us). Their freshman big guard Oni killed us both driving and rebounding....total mismatch as to which we had no answer. The only reason is was relatively close for a while (although we never threatened to actually win) was that we only had 9 turnovers. Against Brown, the Brown guards scored 56 of their 82 points, and repeatedly drove by us as if we were encased in lead. As I noted earlier, they managed an amazing 20 FTs from the guard position while shooting 27 FG attempts....so that is an efficiency that makes it impossible for us to win. Meanwhile, anyone not named Brodeur, Foreman or Howard looked like JV. That was the most discouraging game I have attended in years (not the worst loss, since Jerome had one of those almost every week), but we were supposed to be better and we're not. I see no way we make the playoffs. Brown is not as good as Columbia or Cornell, which has guards who will throw up 50 against us."

OK, I said that anyone not named Brodeur, Foreman or Howard looked like JV. I said we lost because of our guards. I said in another post that we had no one to make a team pay for doubling Brodeur. So what happened? Not that the guys playing that day turned from Nerdlucks into MonStars----we put Betley and Goodman out there as the major players in the backcourt and the transfers moved to the bench. So all of you guys are correct that my statement that we had no chance was wrong---but who among us at that time foresaw the insertion of Goodman and Betley?

So I rest my case. And again, I'm happy to serve my time if they make the playoff (and I have tickets for the Columbia game).
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.155 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:01 PM