Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Thoughts from a curmudgeon
caughtinasnare 
Senior

Reg: 02-21-09
03-13-17 01:44 AM - Post#226685    
    In response to gopenngo

I think we're all here because we enjoy basketball, and Penn basketball in particular, yes? Well, in a season when we would not have gotten to see any exciting Penn basketball, we instead did get that opportunity. Likewise was the case for Columbia fans, Yale fans, and arguably Harvard fans. As such, since the whole reason we watch basketball is because we enjoy basketball, especially exciting basketball, the Ivy tournament was immensely successful because that is exactly what it gave us.

Now, that's a lot different than the example today in the World Baseball Classic of putting men on 1st and 2nd with no outs to start the 11th inning, dooming any hope Colombia had of beating the Dominican Republic. If you want to argue against that, I'll absolutely take up the fight, but the Ivy tournament gave us something to look forward to, both this year and in the years to come, which we otherwise would not have had given where we were just over a month ago, when we were rooting for an 0-6 Ivy team with no hope in sight. I was critical of the concept at first too, because like others think, it devalued the regular season. Looking back, I am able to admit I was wrong.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.242 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:37 PM