Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Thoughts from a curmudgeon
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-13-17 01:11 PM - Post#226755    
    In response to besnoah

• besnoah Said:

To the idea that taking the opposite side of "never" is the right course of action in the "getting two bids" argument, of course that is correct. But if the best argument pro-tournament people can make is that never is always analytically wrong, that also strikes me as an inadequate reason to fundamentally alter the structure of the best regular season in sports.

It wasn't an argument anymore than saying we will NEVER GET TWO BIDS is an argument. Mathematically, as an investor, I will usually take the other side of NEVER and ALWAYS because there is little risk and high reward.

But neither are arguments that serve any good purpose. I would like to go back and find all the NEVER and ALWAYS statements from 10 years ago and bring them up now. So saying there will NEVER BE TWO BIDS, is just irrational. It can happen. It may be a less than 5% chance currently, but it's not impossible.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.454 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:11 PM