Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-22-17 12:36 PM - Post#227900    
    In response to palestra38

Many IL fans oppose the IL Tournament as you suggest although you can understand why 2nd half division teams embrace the concept. I also believe that many non-IL fans are not big fans of conference tournament winners getting the automatic bid.

When the IL Tournament was announced, a Northwestern grad Mike Greenberg said it best as follows: " I cannot stand that the IL is going to a conference tournament. The IL has been the lone hold out and the last conference doing it right. Up until this year, they gave the NCAA automatic bid to the regular season champion ... And you know why? ... They didn't need the money. Have you seen the endowments that these schools have? Harvard's endowment is bigger than the GNP of most countries. But next year, the team that has two good days in a row can undo all that happened in the preceding three months. I understand why many smaller conferences have a tournament -- they need the money. They might not even be able to field a team without the added revenue ... but you are talking about Harvard, Princeton and Yale! I hate it! Every conference should give the automatic bid to the team that finishes first in the regular season.

Unfortunately, the "cat is out of the bag" and it is too late to change it.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.215 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:50 AM