American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: West Virginia Game
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-23-17 04:21 PM - Post#228024    
    In response to MrPhillie

I can't speak for Nathan Davis, but I don't think there is any plan to allow dribble penetration. I think one reason it happens is that the defensive scheme appears to be one that is reluctant to switch or double team - actions that can create a mismatch or an open three. With Nana in the lane, they are perhaps more willing to allow some dribble penetration to stop the other things.

As for a zone, it definitely can cut down on dribble penetration. But there is a tradeoff. The zone may allow more open threes, and it definitely makes it harder to box out on defensive rebounds. Last year the Bison played a fair amount of match-up zone, and they played it some the first part of this year. Then they went to 100% M2M by mid-December. That may have been due, in part, to having two freshmen assume key roles.

One good thing is that the Bison defense ranked 84th nationally this year, compared to 202nd last year and 257th in 2015. There are only three years since 2000 that the defense ranked better than 84th: 2005, 2006, and 2013. Those were pretty good years.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.869 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:12 AM