Username Post: 2018 Ivy Tournament Back At The Palestra
digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
05-16-17 06:52 AM - Post#229349    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:

Homecourt is a pretty massive advantage relative to having the higher seed host (7-8 points) and still a sizeable advantage relative to a neutral floor (3.5-4 pts). You could think of it as if Team A was even with Team B on Team B's home floor and would be a 7-8 point favorite over Team B on its own home floor that it would be 50/50 to win at Team B, but around 75% to beat Team B at home and about 60% on a neutral floor.

What's more is that we've seen this exact scenario play out in other one-bid tournaments - most notably the AmEast. Albany picked off the 1-seed as a four two years in a row and the 2 as a 7 another time it got to host the pre-finals. Those two 1-over-4s finally convinced the AmEast to abandon the one-site prelim round and move those to campus sites, before the higher seed hosted the final. To pretend like that almost just didn't happen to us last year was insane and at this point I wish it had.

So, obviously a lot of different things go into creating a home court advantage: Fans and environment, not having to travel (sleeping in one's own bed, eating more familiar foods, staying on regular schedule), and familiarity with one's own gym, among others. I think most people would point to the first factor, the fans, as the home court advantage. That simply wasn't a big deal in March. Princeton fans were at least as loud as Penn fans at the game and weren't outnumbered by very much. I don't have the same knowledge of the American conference games, but the hypothesis here is that the edge isn't as big in tournament games because of the relatively larger, more enthusiastic crowd size of the favorite.

No way to really quantify that at this time, I realize. And I grant that Princeton may have been a bit unique due to their proximity and their team quality and the advantage more obvious if Yale or Harvard had been a higher seed versus Penn.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.303 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:01 AM