Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Incoming Class
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
06-15-17 07:45 PM - Post#230122    
    In response to PennFan10

The read on Faulds, if that's what you are referring to, is not my opinion. I've never seen him play.

Columbia fans are really upset with me because I told them their 2015-16 team was going to be horrible defensively and no matter how good they were offensively, their defensive woes would keep them from winning an Ivy title. That was an amazing offensive team, but alas, the defense was terrible and it finished a distant 3rd.

Then, last year, I said that the defense wasn't going to improve (over loud objections) and that the offense was going to crash back down to earth. I also said after Caitlin was ruled out that they weren't clear favorites for the fourth spot.

Yet after providing objective coverage and analysis (check my projections for any Harvard bias - good luck) of this league, year-after-year, including running the content of this site for some time, people trot out this "Harvard" point to discredit my coverage and sourcing. It's a lot like what Jake received about Penn, due to his ties there. Penn, at the time, was one of the two best teams - by a large margin - in the league, so a lot of what his site talked about was Penn. During the recent time, Harvard has been pretty noteworthy in basketball, so it's going to garner a lot of the attention regardless of where I have ties.

Some of this frustration is from the Voy boards as well, so if it seems out of the blue here, some useful context is over there. I'll direct you to the post where my sharing of info I've received from others was compared to that of Donald Trump.

I'm an insider in this league. Believe that, don't believe that, I don't care. Asia is too. I don't know how he is, but I know he is, and I don't discredit him because I don't like what he says. My goal is to leverage that status to generate more interest in the league. But if it's just going to make me the subject of pot shots and jeers, I'm just as happy not to share. I care about the success of the entire league deeply and personally and care about sharing what I know far, far less so. Between my growing family and work responsibilities it's been harder and harder to do so over the past few years anyway.

No one had the conf tourney news earlier than I did. Still no one has reported the AI floor going up to 183. Or that we were very close to handing ILDN over to ESPN prior to its layoffs and that deal still could happen in the very near future.

I'm in my summer break from Ivy basketball, and as I do every year, I re-evaluate whether I can handle writing, podcasting, tweeting, etc. A younger me relished arguing with fans about this league. The current me finds it tedious. I think I'm going to keep my Twitter feed up for another year, but I'm going to continue to pare back my visiting of these fan boards. My goal is to enlighten, not be misrepresented. The latter seems to be all I face in this medium.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:00 AM