Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn Hoops' Student Data Analyst Commits Suicide
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
09-06-17 04:18 PM - Post#232673    
    In response to Cvonvorys

What I find sexy and what I find somewhat dehumanizing to college kids may indeed overlap. Remember, though, that these girls are not dressing up for a night out in a club, but rather, are essentially being judged beauty pageant style for admission to a restrictive social club. And who put the pressure on them? Their peers.

Again, my daughter attended Penn and absolutely loved it. But she grew up with Penn as part of her environment and never would have been lost there. She made it a smaller school by her choices. Someone who goes primarily because it was the "best" (i.e., most competitive admission) school to which they were admitted might find it a lot harder to fit in.

And I do believe that the way Penn selects its students in 2017 does result in a student body more prone to suicide. I have no empirical data to support that but it's pretty clear that suicide is far more common now than it was 25-40 years ago and that the competitive pressures are enormously greater in not only academics, but as I noted, social opportunity.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.131 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:52 PM