Username Post: College Basketball Coaches Indicted
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
09-28-17 10:13 AM - Post#233302    
    In response to SRP

The effect of this on the Ivies could be either very good or bad. If we're at least reasonably clean, and the rest of the college hoops universe gets reined in as a result of this, then we're probably going to get a lot better relative to everyone else. On the other hand, if we're not clean, or if this accelerates the already coming day when the big schools go off and form their own sports organization, then we're going to take a big hit.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the theory behind these charges. Obviously, all of this stuff rips the NCAA rulebook in half, throws it down, and stomps on it. I can also see how coaches at state schools can be charged with bribery, since they are government employees. However, apparently Southern Cal is also involved in this, and I wasn't aware that bribery as legally defined could occur between private parties. This article says that the feds will try to claim that their provision of funds to these schools justifies the charges. Would any of the esquires on here care to opine as to whether this will hold up in court?
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.12 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:42 AM