Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Red & White Scrimmage
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-24-17 09:41 AM - Post#234458    

I went to the Red & White Scrimmage last weekend.

The White team was filled with a number of past starters - Morgan, Gettings, Whiteside, Bathurst and Abdur-Ra'oof (returning after missing the entire 2016-2017 season recovering from surgery), as well as two first-years Voss and Kuhn.

The Red team had two guys who had increased playing time as last season progressed - Warren and Gordon, and one whose playing time diminished last year - Davis. It also had more newcomers - Boeheim, Julian, McBride, and Knapp.

Gettings was dressed, but did not play. Same for Pat Smith, who continues to be plagued by injuries. Kyle Brown did not play and I'm not sure if he was there.

They played two 12:00 minute halves. I don't know the final score, but the Red team dominated the White team.

Wil Bathurst moved over to the point guard position and appears to be in that role for now. He started a few games at guard and a few at forward late last season. He was fine, nothing remarkable and nothing horrible. Until the team finds a true point guard, this may be the best to expect from this position.

Steve Julian, the junior college transfer, is an athletic wing and can really play in transition. He should be starting at the 3.

Jimmy Boeheim is a big who can shoot from anywhere on the floor. Warren has more experience and probably better on the boards, but Boeheim can shoot the three much better than Warren. He should get plenty of playing time right out of the gate.

Jack Gordon was the best three point shooter on the day, hitting 4 of 5. He is a more dependable three point shooter than Fallas was last year and should get more playing time at the 2 or 3 this season.

Josh Warren is solid down low and is trying to improve his outside shooting. He took several three point attempts, but did not make any.

Kuhn needs a little more consistency, but looked good. McBride was less polished than I expected. As the only true point guard on the roster, the team will need him to develop as quickly as possible. Knapp hit a couple of threes in the second half, but seems to be low in the coaches' radars.

Davis did not get a lot of playing time, but made the most of it. He played the point and drove the lane with authority, going 4-4 on layups.

Morgan was fine in the time he played. He took a bad spill after driving to the hoop in the 2nd half. A few minutes after recovering from that, he appeared to injure himself on defense. He was taken to the locker room a few moments later. He did come back out, but did not play the last few minutes. I have not seen any information stating what his problem was or if he will be out for any time.

At this time, I would envision an 8 player rotation to include Morgan, Bathurst, Whiteside, Gordon, Julian, Gettings, Warren, and Boeheim. Kuhn, Voss and Abdur-Ra'oof will look for some playing time at the 3 or 4 positions, while Davis and McBride will battle for playing time at the point.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.443 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:57 AM