Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Albany
flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
11-26-17 05:08 PM - Post#237962    
    In response to mrjames

I was at the Albany game. I was surprised by how easily we kept ourselves in it AND by how easily we let the lead slip right away again.

In the first half, we couldn't stop David Nichols, who burned us for 19 points en route to leading the team to shooting 67% from the field. That should never happen against any reasonably comparable team. What's crazy is that Nichols did not score in the second half (anyone notice any match-up switches on him?), and Dartmouth actually wound up with a better shooting percentage than Albany; the two biggest differences in the stats were that they had eight fewer turnovers than us and they took 15 more field goals than us, making 7 more. Everything else was pretty even, against a team that's a legit 5-0.

Miles Wright's energy seemed to be the biggest factor in whether the Green were in it or not. Big plays by him got everyone else pumped up, but that fire just didn't last. I had zero use for Will Emery or Aaryn Rai; Guilien Smith was playing with a clearly injured finger on his left hand. Wright, Knight, and Barry were all right. Even though he's probably not at the same level as others skill-wise, I would love to see Cameron Smith play more: he's a captain along with Wright, and his positive energy and relentless hustle alone would help lift the other four people on the floor. They slept-walked through parts of the game.

These are not your first Ivy champions in 57 years, but they certainly ought to play like they can beat anyone, because why not? It starts with a singular focus on significantly better defense—when Albany's big guards backed ours down in the post, the help was SO SLOW coming over. We got burned essentially every possession in every way, especially in the first half of that game. Use this season to show good high school players that we work hard and we're scrappy and you'll attract some gamers.

My two cents.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.197 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:39 AM