Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Wooden Legacy
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-01-17 12:02 PM - Post#238658    
    In response to 84grad

Last season, it was my feeling that the 2016-17 squad would be far better than this year's version. Sure, the 2016 recruiting class would be young, but the leadership of an experienced true PG and an athletic rim protector gave the 'youngsters' possibly the best creator and rebounder/shot blocker in the league.

That team underachieved, in my view largely due to inconsistent long range shooting. Remember, the narrow (2 point) tournament loss to Yale occurred despite to 4-30 shooting by Siyani/Seth/Corey, including 2-19 from three. Harvard outplayed Yale that afternoon, the same way it had already done so twice during the season. Harvard has not regained its shooting touch.

This year's edition is unfortunately highlighting my concerns. Aiken and Lewis are talents, but there is no true PG, no PF, and no backup center. Overburdened and competitive, Bryce and Chris are prone to foul trouble, TO's and fatigue. Northeastern was double teaming the entry pass to Chris - and we were still trying to force the ball over/under two defenders, only to leave Chris out of position and double teamed.

Two weak recruiting years have left Harvard with virtually no contribution from upperclassmen, accentuated by injuries to McCarthy and Egi.

Yesterday, Chris was a beast (7-8 shooting, 20 points), and Bryce was spectacular as usual (26 points), but literally no one else contributed to the offense. Abysmal three point shooting is now the norm, not the exception. Other than Bryce (2-6), the squad was 1-11 from deep against Northeastern. Other than Bryce (9-18) and Chris (7-8), the squad (including Seth) made only 6 shots (6-27) and went 2-3 from the foul line.

In the first 11 minutes, a mediocre NE team jumped out to a 32-11 lead, making 6-8 from deep. What we have been dismissing as anomaly has now repeated itself far too often.

Time to panic? No. There is likely not even an 11 win team in this year's Ivy League - thanks only to the bad fortune that has befallen the Eli's. On the other hand, numerous prognosticators have Penn finishing ahead of Harvard and at least one (TeamRankings), has Columbia in a virtual dead heat with the Crimson for the 4th slot.

The regular season crown is certainly up for grabs, and the tournament always will be, as long as you qualify to play in it. I'm sure Tommy and his staff are spending long days and sleepless nights trying to figure out what buttons to push.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.151 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:04 AM