Username Post: Lafayette
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
12-07-17 10:46 PM - Post#239597    
    In response to Penndemonium

Addressing the team rebounding numbers:

When evaluating rebounding, I ask the following question. When you miss the first shot of a possession, what percentage of the time do you obtain a second chance to score by reason of an individual or team offensive rebound? The same question is asked on the defensive side.

As far as I know, nobody else calculates this number, but it can easily be determined by looking at the play by play sheet from any individual game. In my opinion the advantages of this calculation are:
1. It is a measurement of rebounding rate, not raw rebounding numbers.
2. It is a measurement of the rebounding rate on first field goal attempts of a possession and does not include rebounding of missed foul shots.

Using this measurement, Penn's division 1 opponents this year have obtained second chances on 21.5% of their misses of first field goal attempts of a possession.

This 21.5% is by far the best number I have ever measured for a season segment (defined as either the non-conference season or the 14 game conference season). The next best season segment I have ever recorded for limiting opponent second chances was 23.7% during the Ivy League season of 2003.

So, at least for now, with five non-conference games remaining. I have no hesitation in describing Penn's defensive rebounding rate as excellent.

On the offensive rebounding side, Penn's second chance percentage is 29.8%. The historic average for Penn teams is 31%-32%. Penn teams that won the league averaged 33.5% second chance opportunities during conference games. Conference opponents of Penn teams that won the league averaged 27.7%.

As a point of reference, for last year's Ivy League season, Penn's offensive second chance rate was 29.1% and Penn's opponents second chance rate was 29.8%.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.232 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:59 AM