Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2018 Ivy Tournament Back At The Palestra
TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-04-18 11:00 PM - Post#242063    
    In response to dperry

1) I hate the tournament.

2) I enjoyed last year's tournament at the Palestra but only because the Tigers won it. I would have been royally urinated if the Tigers had lost to the Quakers on Penn's home court given the regular season performances of the two teams.

3) If there has to be a tournament, the regular season champ should host the thing and I don't give a fig if that means splitting men's and women's tournaments (as is done in some other Ivy sports with post-season tournaments).

4) I'm old enough to remember when Jadwin hosted NCAA games and the playoffs for the old ECAC Metro. It was a great venue for those events, although Jadwin used to have much larger end stands on the sides with seating that was more comfortable than the current end stand bleachers. I believe capacity was nearly 8,000 back then (and it used to sell out occassionally) but even in slightly diminished form, the current capacity is more than adequate to host an Ivy basketball tournament.

5) The 2011 Princeton-Harvard playoff at Payne Whitney was thrilling and the gym's capacity of only 2,500 (?) made it all the more exciting. The gym was split 50:50 right up the middle, making it one of the most interesting sporting events I've ever attended. That game received 50 times more media coverage than last year's Ivy tournament (granted Doug Davis' last second shot was the reason).

6) Even if Dartmouth were to win the league, I'd still have them host the tournament (if it persists), because they would have earned it. It wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to clear the gym between semi-final games if there was too much outrage about inadequate seating.

Edited by TigerFan on 01-04-18 11:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.302 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:16 AM