Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Women's Update: Maybe They Will, and Maybe They Won't
SteveDanley 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-12
01-05-18 12:10 PM - Post#242128    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:

While Kinum has had freshman moments, so far she's averaging more than 15 minutes a game, which is close to twice as many as Brzozowski, last year's sixth woman, has played so far (although in the last game, with Russell hurt, Brzozowski started and got 17 minutes, whereas Kinum only had 11.) Kinum handles the ball better than anyone but Ross so far, and as I said, she's the best jump-shooter they've had since Baron. She's scoring almost as many points/gm as Russell, despite playing five minutes less. Personally, I'd be starting her right now, and leave her there even when Russell gets back. McLaughlin has 500-some wins and three more Ivy championships than I do, so I will trust the process, but I certainly think she'll start next year.

Super excited to see Kinum showing some explosive offensive talent -- but not surprised. My wife actually played in the same AAU program as Kinum -- their coach, Rich Leary, puts a huge emphasis on shot creation that's refreshing in the women's game (where potentially creative players can get locked into just running the flex over and over for system shots and never develop those skills).

One of the things that I loved about McCaughlin early on in the run was that his players played loose in big spots. Seeing Baron hit those shots in the tourney against Texas was awesome.

Made me think Kinum and McCaughlin would be a good pairing from day 1.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.513 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:23 PM