Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Wofford
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-11-18 12:09 PM - Post#242994    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks mrjames and 84, I do agree that there are benefits to playing on the perimeter and taking the 3's. Certainly, less TO's and offensive fouls, maybe even more offensive rebounds. I also understand that today's basketball dictates' the use of the trey, and I accept the reasons why.

I just don't see this Harvard squad winning consistently by competing in a 3 point shooting contest with any Ivy team. Halfway through the season, Harvard is dead last in 3pt % - with a relative % about 20% less than the league aveage. Shooting 23.5 3's per game, despite playing the slowest tempo in the league, means we're spotting teams like Princeton 7 points per game, and Penn and Yale 5 points per game (just on shooting %).

Maybe that's just a weakness - like poor FT shooting used to be for Harvard. On the other hand, I just have to feel that opponents are breathing a sigh of relief when instead of attacking we settle for 26 3's, making 19% of them. Especially later in games, our shooters seem to get gassed - especially Corey, Bryce and now Christian - leading to even their already woeful shooting percentages to drop down the stretch.

If Harvard truly recruited the best and most talented players, building an offense that results in a low % shot doesn't seem to be the best way to exploit our perceived advantage.

Just as an example, the 2015-16 Yale squad only shot 17 three's per game, although making 36.3%. This year Harvard shoots 23.5 3's, at at 29.5% clip. Yale likely had more possessions, as it averaged 11 more ppg.

If our goal is to work the perimeter (likely 30 feet from the basket), then I think we're looking at a frustrating season. Without Bryce, that may be our only option. With him, I'd hope we do better.

By the way, I need to add that based on prior analysis shared here I note that Harvard has been shooting 3's at a reasonable rate at home, at least in the first half.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:55 AM