Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Max’s stats
TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
01-19-18 10:10 AM - Post#243954    
    In response to mrjames

Mike, I hope the coaches around the league agree with you that last year's Penn defense is better than this year's.

Penn is pulling down 78% of the rebounds on the defensive end. While I expect some regression in conference play, Penn's rate was 75% in the first 3 games. This advantage is a purposeful part of the defense - Penn has 5 good rebounders on the court most of the time.

I also like that Penn is chasing the opponents off the 3 point line while also limiting attempts. This too is a purposeful part of the defense - and a major difference in Penn's defensive scheme vs. last year. In the first 3 conference games the opponents did throw up more 3 attempts than Penn's season average but at an abysmal make rate.

It would be great if Penn was better at D around the rim but they aren't. Defense there has been spotty vs. universally awful. A big issue is that Max and Jarrod are both foul prone, AJ can't afford to pick up fouls, and there's limited depth beyond that especially with Eddie out.

I'm not overly concerned about the steal rate - would like it to be better but it is what it is. The D takes away some things and gives up other things. They are effective at taking away passing lanes so it's possible the steal rate will pick up.

Edited by TheLine on 01-19-18 10:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:53 PM