Username Post: Max’s stats
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-19-18 07:46 PM - Post#244070    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:
  • PennFan10 Said:
. What I don't enjoy is the sledgehammer of arrogance that sometimes comes with the data.

When you say this, what I hear is "I don't enjoy data that doesn't conform to my understanding of basketball". This is subjective but generally speaking, I think a good piece of analysis or a good stat tells you about 80% of what you already know and challenges you/makes you rethink/tells you what you thought you knew was wrong about 20% of the time. If it tells you what you knew 100% of the time it's not really furthering the conversation and if it tells you something that makes you have to re-think 75% of what you know, there's a decent chance it's just a data mining, boil-the-ocean to find out AJ shoots better on 3s when it's rainy in Auckland.

Anyway, maybe you don't mean it the way I hear it, but the only one who seems to walk back his opinions is me. The data can absolutely be wrong. The data didn't support giving Max more minutes, it was wrong in so far as I expected him to get less effective, not more. And I admitted that even if I don't think his performance is good enough.

Finally, I just can't abide "coach says/thinks it so it must be true".

I agree with this and like your description quite a bit (in bold). That's what I like about the data. The sledgehammer part is more about delivery and opinions taken from what the data mean. E.G. a poster who shall remain unnamed says "XXXXXX [insert data here]XXXX, so I'd take last years defense over this year's". The data part I like, the subjective opinion that seems intentional to inflame the Penn board I don't like. But that's just me, others probably didn't care one way or another.

I prefer just the data and the occasional interpretation of said data.

For example, you said DRat is mostly useless. Why? The numbers vary widely across the league and I offered at least one visual example of why I thought Max (and Penn more broadly) was better on defense...namely his work to guard Myles Stephens against Princeton which he could not do a year ago. (I believe Max lost 15 lbs in the off season to improve agility).
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.205 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:24 PM