Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: OT: End of Dunphy Era @Temple?
JHG722 
Freshman
JHG722
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 07-07-11
01-20-18 06:56 PM - Post#244254    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
  • JHG722 Said:
We're universally hoping this is the end. With our facilities, dedication, and history, there is no excuse for zero Sweet Sixteens in 12 years.

Like I said: "It a tricky job, as Temple has higher expectations than perhaps they should feel entitled to going forward."

No disrespect to Temple - I know it had a lot of success in the Chaney era. It just isn't a school which has all cylinders of an athletics franchise to have such huge expectations. It is similar (but inferior) to Georgetown in that respect. They both had huge success but accomplished it with superior recruiting and the personality and will of their coaches. Neither has a program that would routinely draw the very best without that.

You can blame Dunphy for that, but times have changed. Having a head coach who cares deeply about his players, runs their program ethically, and builds the trust of families to mentor and educate recruits is not as much of a differentiator as it used to be. There are so many coaches that offer that now, and I don't think any coaches in Div I have that as their iconic brand the way Chaney and Thompson did.

Philadelphia is still a talent rich area, but it isn't retaining its recruits the way it did in bygone eras. Recruiting is a national game.

Maybe Temple can become a perennial power again, but I won't predict seeing them in the top 20 very often from here - with or without Dunphy.

This is so laughably ignorant it makes my head hurt. It's the same loser mentality they have at Penn, which I know all too well. Is making the Sweet Sixteen once in 12 years higher expectations than we should be 'entitled' to? No one is expecting Temple to win championships, but is it too much to ask to be in that realm once in 12 years? No.

There is nothing conceivably better about Villanova other than being in a suburban (read: sterile) environment.

Our facilities are top-notch, which is why NBA teams use them when they are here. Jason Kidd stopped by to talk to our players after practice. That doesn't happen at many places around the country.

I'm sick of the loser mentality people have about/for Temple. There is no reason we cannot be great in football and basketball. Dunphy is not the person to get us there. Being a nice guy who recruits good people who graduate isn't good enough in 2018.

I aspire for Temple to achieve greatness and so does everyone else here.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:04 AM