Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: OT: End of Dunphy Era @Temple?
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
01-22-18 02:54 PM - Post#244385    
    In response to Quakers03

Again, I wasn't trying to bash Temple or start any disparagement. I am a fan of Temple and Dunphy. I just was saying (in light defense of Dunphy) that I don't think it's a job where anyone should succeed. Temple is a fine school, but it does not have a national reputation, a broad TV audience, favoritism from the athletic apparel companies, campus environment, and widely followed basketball conference that the very top kids are looking for.

The Temple fan acknowledged that making the sweet 16 once in a while is not the same as expecting them to be a national power. There are many more than 16 teams that do have those advantages. I don't think it will even be easy to accomplish a sweet 16 once in a while.

If Temple does move on from Dunphy, it will need a coach who can leap the hurdles. Those coaches are hard to find. I wouldn't underestimate how good of a coach Dunphy is. He took you guys to the tournament every year from 2008-2012 after inheriting a program that had faltered under Chaney. He was the 2008 Atlantic 10 coach of the year and the 2016 AAC coach of the year. He brought you guys an AAC season championship only 1.5 years ago.

I understand the frustration with all of the first round tournament losses. We shared that frustration at Penn. Many Penn fans weren't sad to see him go at the time, thinking we had natural advantages in the Ivy League and that even a Brown coach could replicate his success. We went through a long walk lost in the desert after he left. It has taken us 12 years to become relevant again.

Dunphy is very respected throughout the profession and by Philadelphia area HS coaches. He is a great team leader and program organizer, a so-so game manager, and a below average tournament coach. He does a good job at developing talent. I really don't know much about his recruiting these days. It was hard for me to complain about his NCAA performance at Penn since we were a massive underdog in EVERY game and we had a chance to win many of them.

Maybe Temple can do better than Dunphy, but I'm willing to wager the next coach does worse.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:13 PM