Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-03-18 06:44 PM - Post#245862    
    In response to Bruno

• Bruno Said:
18-4 over the last 10 minutes. Not including the last 6. Against a team that gets to the line more than most in the nation. That’s not just more - that’s 4.5x more when it mattered the most.

We call it a Home Job. I’m not sure why you’re so upset. You got the win.

I like that you are still talking about this though, with the data so clearly overwhelming.

To take a closer look at your "overwhelming data":

1st half: Fouls were Brown 11, Penn 5 yet Brown shot 9 FT to Penn's 7. Not much of an advantage there.

2nd half: Fouls were Brown 12, Penn 12. Brown shot 11 FT and Penn shot 15

OT: Fouls were Brown 7, Penn 1. Brown shot 2 FT, Penn shot 14.

So there is nothing really abnormal in the data from regulation. A closer look at OT is required.

I went a looked at every possession from the last 5 minutes of regulation through OT to see about these "non calls" and foul discrepancy. at the 3 minute mark Brown was leading by 6 so I am not sure there is much to complain about prior to that (there were a few calls/no calls that evened out but I don't think anyone would say those 2 min were advantageous to either side)

The possessions in the final 5 minutes were 8 for Brown and 8 for Penn. Brown shot 3 jumpers, had 3 drives to the basket, turned it over 1x and had 1 jump ball on a missed alley oop play. Of those 3 drives they made one layup, had one blocked by AJ that resulted in a foul (bad call) and Cho had his shot blocked by AJ with no foul (looked like a good call-though Martin argued aggressively).

Penn had 2 missed 3pters 5 drives and one turnover. The 5 drives resulted in 4 trips to the FT line. Of those 4 foul calls I thought 2 were good calls (the Brown players did not object) and 2 were questionable. The officials also missed a travel against Darnell that preceded one of those fouls.

In OT:
Brown had 10 possessions and shot 6 jumpers and went 2-5 with 1 foul called. They had 4 drives and missed 3 contested layups with no contact and made the other. The only bad call against Penn appears to be the foul on Darnell with :15 seconds left on Cambridge (he missed both).

Penn had 9 possessions in OT, all of them were drives to the basket, zero jumpers. They made 3 of those, had 1 blocked and got 4 foul calls for 8 FT's. I thought 2 of those 4 fouls on drives were questionable against Brown and 1 was just a bad call.

In summary, in OT and in regulation, the fact is Brown settled for 9 jumpers in their last 18 possessions and Penn drove the ball to the basket on 14 of their last 16 possessions. There were 8 bad/questionable/missed calls during that stretch and 5 of them went against Brown and 3 against Penn.

Anyone else who wants to watch the game from the 5 minute point on in slow motion and come back and argue this analysis, I am all for it.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:48 PM