Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy League Champs!
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
03-05-18 02:54 PM - Post#250920    
    In response to Chip Bayers

As far as I know, I am the only poster who boycotted last year’s tournament and bragged about doing so. I am proud of what I did (both the boycotting and the bragging). I am happy to be the recipient of phone calls from fans curious as to whether or not I will attend this year’s tournament.

By the way, I was opposed to Big 5 games leaving the Palestra. For a few years I boycotted Penn’s Big 5 “road games.” That boycott came to an end when Villanova and Temple were not inclined to listen to me. I also remain opposed to the designated hitter and to wild card playoff teams, but I have not boycotted Major League Baseball.

I am pleased to see that the most prominent advocate for a tournament on this board, Mike James, has rescinded his support for the tournament in its current format. The likelihood of a second bid for an Ivy men’s team remains exceedingly slim. The league is struggling between two irreconcilable goals, a “fair” tournament or an “event” where everyone gathers together in a single, special location and where the women have equal billing with the men. The latter goal requires the tournament to be at the Palestra. The former goal precludes the Palestra as a site. It requires home court advantage for the #1 seed along with the likely separate locations for the men and the women.

The league has, for now, decided in favor of a tournament, while remaining conflicted regarding the venue. Cornell, Columbia, Princeton and Brown all were permitted to play meaningful games on the final weekend of the season. Somewhere along the way the Ivy League will have its Monmouth, a deserving NCAA team that was twice left out of the “big dance” because of the post-season tournament in the MAAC. We have debated that trade-off on this board and will continue to do so.

If Mike James is correct, the tournament is leaving the Palestra next year, likely for a neutral site. That neutral site will be perfectly fair, perfectly dull and perfectly empty. Chip has recently made the same point in a skillfully crafted and entertaining post regarding empty seats.

This year, the Ivy League listened to me (and to others) and reduced the price of tickets. Saturday’s men’s doubleheader has tickets for $25, $45 and $60. Chairback seats are available for $70 from the participating schools. Those who purchase tickets for the men’s doubleheader may remain for the women’s doubleheader in the evening. I am assured that fans will be allowed to leave and return to the building during the course of the day and evening. Sunday tickets will cost $20, $40, $50 or $60 (from the participants), with the same privileges. There is a slight discount if you purchase a combination package for both days. There is also a general admission price, good for the women’s doubleheader on Saturday night or for all three women’s games.

Last season, Penn did not deserve to be in the tournament. Penn was there only because the Ivy League had promised to take four teams, and 6-8 Penn finished in 4th place. This season, Penn deserves to be in the tournament. This may be the last year, for a while, that the tournament will exist in the special atmosphere of the Palestra. And, if neither team stumbles on Saturday, we will have the Penn vs. Harvard playoff game which would have taken place under the traditional system.

I will attend the Penn men’s games in this year’s tournament. Next year, I hope you enjoy your weekend in Bridgeport.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.178 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:06 PM