Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy League Champs!
SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
03-07-18 03:21 PM - Post#251269    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Thanks Asia. I did not know that the football reference was to pre-Ivy League days - and, by the way, I'm not THAT old - I came to Philadelphia in 1967.

As to item#2, many of the schools that were in the old D1 are now FCS schools who DO compete in that division's national championships. So why would the Ivies choose to be irrelevant within that classification?

Your comment about the Ivies' lack of scholarships is the case in ALL sports - why are you making an issue of it here?

As to #4, I concur that the Ivies should not want to be involved in the FBS issues. Other than that, this item is merely a statement of fact.

As I have never really understood AI, I am not sure what point #5 means.

On point #6, you are obviously correct. But what is the objection to an 11th game. As it works now, the Ivy teams are often at a disadvantage in their early season games because their non-Ivy opponents have generally already played 1 or 2 games. Why does the League want to put its teams at that disadvantage? (As an aside, Ivy teams play one less BBall game during the season, the supposed "price" for creating the tournament which leaves four teams with one less game for the season.)

So while I understand your points (other than #5 as noted), not sure WHY that is the IL's position, i.e. not competing in the FCS national championship tournament. As to the dinosaur analogy, the old fogies like you and me WOULD turn out for an 11th regular season (and possible playoff) game(s) - students barely show up for FB and BB games now. It has already been discussed that the sports are PRIMARILY for the athletes to participate - why are football players denied the opportunity to compete in their (FCS) division for a national championship?

As to in-game entertainment, the blaring disco music (chosen over the band) is not getting students to pour in. When they show up, we can discuss what entertainment changes, if any, should be made.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:45 PM