Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Wake the kids, phone the neighbors (UMBC!)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
03-17-18 01:13 PM - Post#253613    
    In response to mrjames

The beauty of things is that sometimes they don't pencil out. I appreciate your deep knowledge of the stats and probabilities. There are always going to be bad matchups and teams that get hot and go on a runs. That's why I love sport.

The result of this only serves to prove again that sometimes you put the pencil down and enjoy the game. The team with the best record and best stats has the best probability to win and we can simulate the results a million times, but they still have to play the games and anything can happen once the ball tips!

Last year Princeton went, this year we sent the better of Penn v Harvard. We sent the best two years in a row. They earned it. However, there will be a time when Dartmouth or Brown or whoever is at the bottom half of the 8 will make the tourney get hot and beat teams with the better records. I can't wait till that happens!

UMBC's win breaks one of the final barriers for lower seeded teams from low/mid major conferences. This year should be an inspiration for non-power conferences like ours. We've been here before with Cornell and Yale! Maybe that 2 Bid Ivy isn't such a far fetched idea. Penn, Harvard, and Yale are going to be good again next year. They play great noncon schedules they are still young and have proven coaching. Here's the point to my rambling...hopefully this UMBC win opens the eyes to the committee to take a deeper look at the non power schools. See the Pac 12's flame out and the rise of UMBC, Marshall, Buffalo, and Loyola Chicago. If it takes UMBC besting Vermont and Virginia combined with high major scandal to spread those bids around, hopefully the Ivy's will benefit.
"...no excuses - only results!”

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.357 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:54 AM