Username Post: Voy Board
CUBballFan 
Freshman

Loc: East Coast
Reg: 04-23-18
04-24-18 11:57 AM - Post#255747    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Dr. V,

I read your post re: “Fans, coaches, and teams” and thought a lot of people made great points. I appreciate the fact that you are well-versed in the players’ stats, but I agree with what many of the others said about the “honeymoon coming to an end” (Columbia 37P6) because the stats many of us care about the most is our 10-18 record in conference play and 19-35 overall record over the past two seasons. And like Chet Forte said, we went 0-fer on the road this year.

Some common themes that were voiced then, which now seem to be a premonition to this past week:

Columbia Alum recognized long ago the appalling defense and slow/lack of player development.

cc66 also mentioned the long list of players not developing (from freshman to seniors), as well as Engles’ “manner and affect”, lack of emotional connection, and players not appearing to like him.

Sagatius mentioned the sub-par player development and lack of apparent big man coach (Agel?). He also made good points about us being as good or better than our opponents for much of the games, but not being able to sustain. Is that conditioning, confidence, coaching...?

Chet Forte also made excellent points about our players performing well early in the season (Villanova & PSU were both respectable and most of the players, including the freshman, looked good, but then what happened?). And his comments about the coach being “the engine, the inspiration, the leader” who “demonstrates passion, inspires players, and improves existing players” are good points and sound very much like the recent posts. The fact that Coach Al is “friendly to the fan base, passionate on the sidelines, has built a fantastic group of assistants, and has players who would run through a wall” is a far cry from what we are seeing on the hardwood.

All of these comments from the blog in early March now seem to be even more accurate given the recent developments. Plus, if you add in Ray Curren’s Twitter comment from 2/26/18: “I was banned by Engles after they lost to Stetson last year..... so beware.” and Dan Gelston’s Twitter comment from 11/10/17: “Columbia coach Jim Engles invites a couple of stunned student journalists to ride back with the team on the bus. ‘Just don’t talk to me’”..... we now have a wide variety of people who have all identified red flags with Engles. The 3 transfers in 9 months and recent parent comments just seem to be affirmations of the concerns we’ve all been expressing along the way.

Yes, Columbia 37P6, I am sure Peter Pilling will fix this eventually, one way or another, just like he did with Coach Al and our football program.

Sorry for the 1000 word posts, JadwinGeorge!

Edited by CUBballFan on 04-24-18 12:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.273 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:56 AM