Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Next season
cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
04-28-18 11:50 AM - Post#256069    
    In response to Chet Forte

You're right that there are two different questions. One is the damage to the reputation of the program; the other is what we can expect from the team next season. On the first issue, we did take a hit; on the second, however, I am not sure that much has changed.

To address the first: Although Myles Hanson might have developed in someone who would have scored 10-12 pts a game, I think he has an inflated conception of his possible contributions. I also wonder what the statement about values means: is he describing a specific discomfort with the culture that Engels fostered, or is his conflict a broader matter of moving from Minnesota to Columbia? He is, after all, the second Minnesota recruit in the last 7-8 yrs to bail on the Columbia program.

Faulds would have developed into a significant contributor, though whether he would have become the star everyone thought is very much open to question. It must have certainly been a shock to him to be the most highly ranked IL recruit on ESPN, and then to find himself starting behind the unranked and unrated Patrick Tape. My guess still is that with Tape, the new 6'10 transfer, and the forwards coming in, both Faulds and Hanson counted the available minutes, hardened their antipathy to Engels, and decided it was time to exit.

But while the basketball program's reputation surely took a hit, I am not sure that what happened will have a significant effect on next season's record. Four of the spots are pretty firmly in place--Smith, Adlesh/Steffanini, Meisner, and Tape. Sure, it would have been nice to have some additional bodies, but barring a significant leap in their development, neither Hanson nor Faulds were going to start. So we are left with the status quo ante--how much do the above players improve in the off-season, and who starts in the other forward position. Hence despite all the noise and unpleasantness that hangs over the program, the prospects for next season remain fundamentally the same.

Edited by cc66 on 04-28-18 11:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.221 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:45 AM